• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Truly a great and noble man was lost in this update. For all the hopes we place in his successor, long shall we be silent in honor of his deeds and character.
Farewell, Andrew Napier.
And Joseph II too, I guess.:p

I can't wait to see the civil war that erupts when Friedrich IV(why not go with Luitpold?) tries to revoke the privilegia. Probably the last time there will be any doubt as to the outcome of this AAR.

That's what you think! ::maniacal laughter::

A great victory for the Hohenzollerns! It delights me to see France crippled. :D

So how many of those 12 provinces went to Poland and are any in the empire?

Three went to Poland, I got the rest.

Great update! 177 prestige from one war? This is crazy! For players like you Avindian, Paradox should make Prestige system like in CK2, without 100 prestige limit ;D

This is a really weird exception that probably doesn't happen in 99 of 100 games. Thanks for the compliments anyway!

A truly epic update! That showdown has been building since the start of this phase of the megacampaign and the result did not disappoint. Nice tieing up of the loose ends before your move to Russia. This was very satisfying and I can now patiently wait until the end of the month.

Great! I wanted to try to avoid any kind of serious cliffhangers before I left.

Eroberer sounds like something to do with robes. Are you sure that title isn't "Flashy Dresser"?

If Google Translate has not led me astray, it is conqueror.

What a humiliating treaty. Also, a nice province snake going from Baden/Breisgau to Zeeland..

Yeah. :)

Woah, France got dismantled. :eek:hmy:
The only problem is that all those new borders are hideous. I hope that Castille can somehow capitalise on France's current weakness but I fear that the not-so-BBB will rally in time to hold them back.

The borders will neaten up some, over time -- you just have to be a little patient.

If Google Translate has not led me astray, it is conqueror.
It is.
Historical example: The dude who conquered England in 1066 is known in German as "Wilhelm der Eroberer".

In general, your German terms tend do be a bit wonky, but understandable. My personal explanation for that was always that the German language just developed a bit differently in your version of history. ;)

Oh, great AAR btw (I don't think I've postet here before). I've been enjoying it since its early CK2 days. :)

Poor Adelheid :(.

I thought her death was relatively kind.

It is.
Historical example: The dude who conquered England in 1066 is known in German as "Wilhelm der Eroberer".

In general, your German terms tend do be a bit wonky, but understandable. My personal explanation for that was always that the German language just developed a bit differently in your version of history. ;)

Oh, great AAR btw (I don't think I've postet here before). I've been enjoying it since its early CK2 days. :)

That's a great excuse! :) I have a little bit of German background (three semesters as an undergrad), and being a native English speaker helps too, but most of what I have I get from Google Translate.

How is things in the Land of the Free? Had a safe trip?

If the pollution didn't kill me on the way into the city from the airport, I think my lungs will be made of iron by the time I leave (perhaps literally). :)

Chapter 27: The son or the father?

20 April 1674, Ferrara

Friedrich IV von Hohenzollern was resolved to outdo his illustrious father in every respect. His lust for conquest had been largely unsated in the previous war with France: most of the glory went to Joseph II and what little had been left behind went to the heroic generals who had won battle after battle.

Yet his mother, Anastasia Petrova, did not want her son to fight war after war to expand Bayern. She wanted him to carry out her own dream of seeing a republic in Bayern that would shine its light to all corners of Europe. Friedrich knew that the two desires were mutually exclusive – establishing a republic would probably lead to, if not civil war, than certainly riots and all manner of other domestic disturbances. Conquering one’s neighbors in the midst of domestic difficulties is a poor strategy. In the end, at least at the beginning of his reign, Friedrich followed his father’s example, to the disappointment of his mother.

The first thing Friedrich did was order his advisors to take an inventory of Bayern’s assets.

pxde.jpg

The kingdom made a considerable profit each month and especially each year, yet it continued to invest in the newest and most exciting weapons and other technological developments. The steward expected effusive praise for his policies; Friedrich merely grunted his thanks and moved on to other areas in his realm.

Friedrich’s unwillingness to share praise was not because it was ill deserved, but because he had, on the whole, turned very sour in disposition. His son Christoph had died after a bout with pneumonia.

2aip.jpg

His new heir was Siegmund, who was Bruno’s son – Friedrich had no time for such common vagaries as marriage.

4a62.jpg

The truth was, even if he were inclined to marry, it was highly unlikely that his cold demeanor would attract any halfway sensible woman. His one purely humanitarian gesture was building the new Naval War College von Pappenheim in Ferrara, the county of his beloved ancestor Louisa von Ulrich.

99uz.jpg

16 November 1676, Verdun

Philipp Wilhelm Gumpenberg, the new Chancellor of the Empire, had one distinguishing quality: he was not the deceased ex-Chancellor Ignaz Lechner. That advantage was almost entirely offset by his unfortunate last name; he was a distant cousin of Siegfried Gumpenberg. This particular Gumpenberg was a minor Baron in Verdun. Friedrich, much like his father, continued to follow a policy of ensuring that the nobility dominated every possible position of power.

1poe.jpg

Even a brilliant Chancellor like Ferdinand Maximillian might have had issues with the delicate political situation in Bayern. The nobles, led by Clemens August Asch IV and Paul Henneberger, were jealous of their dwindling privileges (exemption from taxation, free education, preference for government posts) and were a solidly reactionary faction. The Conclave of Stadtholders, led by Rene Picard, wanted to break the stranglehold the nobles had on most of the premier positions. The Young Bavarians, the dynamic officers that had won the war with France, did their best to steer a middle course, to keep things as conservative as possible.

Then, a fourth voice got injected into the mix: Karl Lanze. Karl had spent most of his life living in his father’s shadow and never quite finding his place in the world. The only close friend he had was Georgi Petrov, and while it was Karl’s voice that spoke, it was Georgi who supplied most of his ideas.

Georgi Petrov, like his sister, was a true republican. Unlike his sister, he was able to gain considerable influence among the powerful elites in Europe. His book, The Fundamental Ethics of Power was read by every educated individual in Bayern. Kaiser Joseph II had even invited him to discuss his views before his court. Joseph’s son was less forgiving. Without his mother’s pleas for mercy, Friedrich IV would have exiled the troublesome writer. Instead, he merely banned publication of all of his works.

Georgi’s response, in true Petrovian fashion, was to write a second book: Equality, Liberty, Brotherhood: The Path to Freedom. This book directly attacked the monarchy, called for the Hohenzollerns to abdicate in favor of a directly elected Conclave of Stadtholders, and even demanded the restoration of the independence of every state in the Holy Roman Empire. Anastasia begged her brother to recant. He refused. Friedrich, predictably, had him executed. Yet Georgi’s ideas began to spread, underground, where they took far more permanence. Every student either owned a copy or knew somebody who did. Karl Lanze openly read the entire book aloud in a meeting of the Conclave, where even the Kaiser could not destroy it. Whether Friedrich IV liked it or not, the first openly republican movement had begun.

5veq.jpg

7 September 1678, Rome

If Friedrich had been a normal tyrant, he would have executed Karl Lanze too and put an end to the intellectual resistance. Yet he was far more savvy than even his friends thought. Killing Georgi Petrov was just this side of legal: after all, he had openly called for uprisings. Killing Karl Lanze, on the other hand, who was a respected member of the political establishment, was quite different. To go after him, Friedrich needed a powerful ally. First, he personally spoke to the army, and got many of the Young Bavarians to buy into his plan, when he presented the newest and most powerful weapons the army had ever had.

xi68.jpg

Truth be told, it was not difficult to convince even the most liberal Young Bavarian that mass uprisings would only lead to all of Bayern’s enemies attacking at once. Yet that wasn’t Friedrich’s masterstroke. Having the army’s support was good, but there was one body even more powerful, particularly to the common people of Bayern: the Catholic Church. Friedrich IV, for the first time since Charlemagne, traveled to Rome and asked the Pope to crown him. In gratitude, he was named Defender of the Faith.

logy.jpg

The Catholic Church dutifully excommunicated Karl Lanze; Friedrich IV wasted no time in demanding either recantation or death. Karl chose to recant. Friedrich had won the first major battle of his rule as Kaiser.

10 February 1679, Brno

After Karl Lanze’s complete disgrace, it looked to most politicians that republicanism was dead for good. From deep despair, many said, Anastasia Petrova died weeks after her brother was executed and Karl was deprived of everything but life. A record harvest further cemented Friedrich’s undisputed rule.

3r4k.jpg

Armed with money and a loyal army, Friedrich looked on his Empire with satisfaction.

ubo1.jpg

It went from the Baltic to the Mediterranean, and in places even touched the Atlantic and the Black Sea. Hundreds of thousands of troops answered his every whim. Or at least he thought they did. One General, his newest, found Georgi Petrov’s message resonant. Wilhelm Hannet was unique among the generals of Bayern: he was a commoner. In fact, his mother was a prostitute, his father a soldier. Hannet had neither pedigree nor powerful friends: what he did have was military genius.

m1ld.jpg

Hannet had very specific plans for how he would use his new army, but something interrupted him.

13 February 1679, Nürnberg

Bayern and Poland had been allies for years. There were some subtle hints that the relationship was cooling off, but nothing that could not be repaired. What should have been a perfectly routine declaration of war on Hungary (to retrieve Pressburg) turned into something far larger.

r5ig.jpg

Armies scrambled from the French border as fast as they could. Friedrich IV vowed Poland would pay dearly for their treason, even as that treason did more to unite his Empire than any other single action he could have done.

0iaq.jpg

31 May 1679, Erz

Poland proved to be far inferior to Bayern, to no one’s surprise. Friedrich IV quickly uncovered Wilhelm Hannet’s plot, and instead of jailing him, simply gave his command to a new, more loyal commander: the son of Clemens August IV Asch, Johann Theodor Asch.

f8yl.jpg

Asch moved quickly and decisively, and although Joseph Ludwig von Sackendorf received the credit, it was Johann’s plan that resulted in victory.

x6rs.jpg

68fb.jpg

Bavarian armies swarmed into Hungary, Poland, and Venice.

26 April 1680, Warsaw

Friedrich IV insisted on leading the victorious procession through the streets of Warsaw, despite his advisors warning him off. He had a right to be proud: his army had defeated not one, but three European powers. Venice was first.

bip4.jpg

Ancona had long been claimed by Bayern. Since Venice had long ago all but abandoned Europe, it was not a challenge. Similarly, Hungary did not pose a serious threat, particularly when Poland’s armies had been no obstacle for Bayern. Pressburg – the original goal of the war – was claimed with little effort.

iopo.jpg

Alone, Poland stood very little chance of withstanding the Bavarian onslaught. Poland lost more than any other country in the war, as Friedrich IV twisted the final knife in Poland’s gut. After the war, Poland would be powerful, but no longer have any sort of claim to real power.

gnnl.jpg

With his stunning and decisive victories, Friedrich had solidified his power and brought his people behind him. The only question that remained was how long this honeymoon would last.

My goal is to try to update at least once every other week. I will of course try to update more frequently if I have the time.

And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Friedrich, king of kings.
Look upon my works, ye Mighty and despair!"

How the 'mighty' Lanze dynasty falls. Stupid rudderless sons being used by those with an axe to grind. Bavaria has a lot more provinces than I expected. I suppose we'll have to wait until the 50-year update to get a proper account of the realm. It's a shame that the Poles chose poorly when it came to the Pressburg question.

Yay, you're updating again. Bavaria is starting to look like one giant blob, although those Italian provinces need to be connected to the German ones. Maybe I just have an obsession with all my provinces being connected. :p

So how is Russia? :)

And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Friedrich, king of kings.
Look upon my works, ye Mighty and despair!"

Brilliant.

How the 'mighty' Lanze dynasty falls. Stupid rudderless sons being used by those with an axe to grind. Bavaria has a lot more provinces than I expected. I suppose we'll have to wait until the 50-year update to get a proper account of the realm. It's a shame that the Poles chose poorly when it came to the Pressburg question.

It is indeed.

Yay, you're updating again. Bavaria is starting to look like one giant blob, although those Italian provinces need to be connected to the German ones. Maybe I just have an obsession with all my provinces being connected. :p

So how is Russia? :)

Don't worry, they'll all be connected. Sooner rather than later.

Russia is good! :)

I wonder will young M. Picard be inviting his nephew to drop in and get his number one to make it so?

I wonder will young M. Picard be inviting his nephew to drop in and get his number one to make it so?

It is entirely possible. :D

I've got screenshots compiled for the next update, and a few vague ideas of what to write. Should have an update tomorrow night.

Chapter 28: To honor a compact

31 August 1680, Nürnberg

To say that an appearance by Friedrich IV in front of the Conclave of Stadtholders was rare would be an extreme understatement. From the very beginning of his reign, he had done all he could to minimize the authority of his most significant opposition in Bayern. Karl Lanze, understanding that he had won but a minor victory, had long since left the Empire. An informal group had gathered in his memory – Lanze’s Lancers, they called themselves – which was populated by the most avant-garde republicans in the entire Empire. It was necessarily underground, but it grew every day. Meanwhile, the public opposition remained entrenched in the Conclave.

Rene Picard, who in truth thought Karl Lanze as threatening as Friedrich IV did, nevertheless intended to stand his ground as President of the Conclave. The war with Hungary (and her allies) had been somewhat justifiable, as Hungary held lands that belonged to Bayern by law. Brittany possessed no such territory. When the Kaiser had announced his intentions to declare war on Brittany, Picard demanded an explanation. The native of Brussels was on incredibly shaky ground: technically, the Conclave held no power of any kind over the making of war or peace. Still, Picard counted on the recent outbreak of good feeling to weaken Friedrich’s resistance.

Friedrich IV knew he was in far more hostile territory than he had ever been during his days fighting in France. His initial instinct – to send the Chancellor to dismiss the Conclave unilaterally without a hearing – had been tempered by the idea that he, too, possessed a unique opportunity to disarm the Conclave. And so, the Kaiser stood before the President of the Conclave without showing the slightest hint of doubt.

“Your Imperial Majesty, thank you for your attendance today.”

Friedrich IV showed a wry half-smile. “It is my pleasure to serve the Conclave.”

“The people of Bayern would like to know why you seek to war upon the peace-loving peoples of Brittany.”

Friedrich IV smiled even wider. “They do, do they? Could you perhaps ask one of them to step forward? All I see is a crowd of wealthy bureaucrats arguing about who gets the scraps from my table.”

The room went deathly silent. Rene Picard turned a particularly bright shade of crimson. “Now, Sire, that is surely an unfair characterization!”

“Is it? Then, pray, produce the individual you speak of.”

Rene Picard was hoist by his own petard. He had claimed something he did not have, and now he was made to look a fool by the one person who needed to fear him. “The Conclave has a much closer touch with the common folk than you, sitting in your glorious palace in Nürnberg, Kaiser!”

Friedrich IV winced, mockingly. “You, indeed, have me there. I spend every waking hour in my palace, committing the unforgivable sin of considering my people’s welfare. But no matter. I come here not to fence with you, President, but to answer your questions. The reason the people of Bayern are going to war with Brittany is because Brittany has refused our reasonable request to restore the independence of Somerset, which is Imperial territory.”

wo54.jpg

“And what shall you do with Somerset when you acquire it, Sire? Hand it to one of your cronies in the Gentlemen’s Society?”

“As a legal part of Bayern, it would of course receive a Stadtholder, appointed by your august selves. However, I can see you doubt my intentions. Therefore, I will make a formal pledge before you. When this war has concluded successfully, the Kingdom of Bayern will annex no additional scrap of territory that is not due to her. Furthermore, I will restore to independence five former princes of the Holy Roman Empire: Corsica, Toulouse, Foix, Friesland, and Luxembourg.”

Rene Picard tried to keep the shock from his face. He failed. It was entirely unlike this Kaiser to surrender any territory, yet his proposal would not only be a net loss, in terms of acreage, to the Empire, but it would also make the single richest province in the Empire, Thouars, an independent state. His fellow Stadtholders applauded the Kaiser’s fine gesture. Picard was unconvinced, but had no other option than to join them, all the while wondering, what is his game?

12 October 1680, Leon

Karl Theodor Livizzani was yet another concession to Rene Picard. Although the Livizzanis had become old nobility over the years, Karl Theodor was among the most liberal nobles the Empire had ever seen. It was an open secret that Lanze’s Lancers received considerable funding from part of the Livizzani fortune.

ytnz.jpg

Livizzani had studied under General Hannet as a young Oberst. Hannet’s idea of creating a People’s Army to overthrow the Hohenzollerns was thoroughly inculcated in Karl’s very being. Even more importantly, Karl’s command was an important one, and he had already attained a very important victory at Leon.

e1mj.jpg

After his stunning victory and the news of a new front opening at Flanders, Livizzani used his influence to secure his own protégé’s future, Ernst Hugenpoet.

5a7n.jpg

Marshal von Ungern had been delighted to fulfill the request. It kept Tomas de la Rosa, who had grown increasingly corpulent with his years of service as an Oberst, from attaining General’s rank. Harald von Ungern only cared about effective leaders, not about politics.

21 January 1683, Nürnberg

“Check.” Kaiser Friedrich IV moved his rook across the board, taking advantage of his opponent’s overly aggressive attack on the Kaiser’s queen.

His opponent, Archbishop Simeon, studied the board with quiet determination. He was, in some respects, the Kaiser’s only friend, and the two had passed many an hour playing chess and discussing whatever was on the Kaiser’s mind. Kaiser Friedrich had posed a particularly thorny theological question before making his move: how could man understand God’s will?

Simeon took his theology as seriously as his chess, but was surprised that the real question Friedrich had asked wasn’t “how could an Emperor understand the people’s will?” The people of Bayern had been deliriously happy at the victories of the noted populist Karl Theodor Livizzani, after all.

o8g0.jpg

General Sackendorf’s own victory – and he a former “Young Bavarian” – was almost completely disregarded. Sackendorf’s new idea to mount his infantry on horseback to get around the battlefield more effectively was a key reason that the enemy was defeated at Oldenburg.

egf7.jpg

b87d.jpg

Yet it was the dashing young Karl Theodor Livizzani who was romanced at every ball, celebrated in every tavern, and cheered at every parade. Sackendorf received the Kaiser’s Thanks – a not inconsiderable honor – but the people could care less.

Simeon grabbed his bishop and took Friedrich’s rook. “God’s will is revealed through the actions of men, Sire. If he were ever to share his will with us directly, I am sure we would either not understand it or perish from the effort to try.”

Friedrich IV nodded. “That may be so, Archbishop. Yet I cannot help but wonder if our duty on earth should be Man’s will, not God’s. If we cannot be certain we are following God’s will, surely we should follow the will of His Chosen Representative.”

Simeon was puzzled. “The Pope? Certainly, but he is in Rome.”

“I, of course, meant myself.” Friedrich smiled. “After all, the Pope himself crowned me Holy Roman Emperor, did he not?”

Simeon’s mouth fell open. “Luitpold, are you mad?”

Friedrich forgave the ever-so-slight lapse into familiarity. “I am not, Archbishop. If God’s will is unknowable, as you just stated, then we can never know if we are following it. It must be better to follow the will of man, therefore, and trust that God will inspire the appropriate person at the appropriate time.”

Simeon gathered his wits and tried to change the subject. “I believe it is your move, Kaiser.”

“Indeed.” Friedrich, in one brilliant stroke, had sprung his trap on the board. By taking Friedrich’s rook, the Archbishop had taken his bishop out of position, and a combination of queen and the Kaiser’s own bishop had secured a victory for Friedrich. “Can I count on you to make an announcement?”

“Of your heresy? Sire, forgive me, but no.”

“I was merely trying to distract you from the game, Archbishop. In any case, that is not what I wish you to announce; merely that Poland has surrendered to Кöln.”

itgy.jpg

“As you will, then, Sire.”

Much like Rene Picard, Archbishop Simeon left the Kaiser’s company more perplexed than when he entered.

23 April 1683, Urbino

The death of Ludwig von Pappenheim (and his wife, who had theatrically died in her husband’s arms) at the hands of a vicious Polish nationalist completely changed the national conversation. Nobody was the least bit interested in General Livizzani’s daring exploits: they thirsted for revenge on Poland. As Кöln had been the power that had defeated Poland, the Kaiser had no choice but to openly proclaim his protection of the Archbishopric. A native of Köln, Ferdinand Maria Dulac, was named Admiral-in-Chief in Pappenheim’s place.

5d2s.jpg

Before becoming an Admiral, Dulac was a diplomat, most recently responsible for the peace deal with Flanders.

r4f7.jpg

Yet he had been a sailor even before becoming a diplomat, and he was a more than capable handler of the fleet. Ludwig von Pappenheim had personally recommended him as he lay dying in his home in Venezia. Even better, he was a loyal aristocrat and had absolutely no truck with the Conclave. It was a new officer’s turn to win dashing victories, this time against the English fleets that dared support Brittany.

13 December 1684, Constantinople

Karl Lanze and his Lancers (although he privately detested the name) had been busy too. They’d gained some powerful converts of their own, including Vito de Frizi, who had openly opposed the harsh peace enacted Baden as “completely ruinous to their economy”. After all, Baden was a member state.

djtp.jpg

Stepan Petrov, the elderly battle scarred mercenary captain, had also joined the Lancers. Together, the three notables raised a small army, but not against Bayern or the Empire. Such a move would almost certainly get all three of them excommunicated and thus justify their executions. As further evidence of the strengthening of relations between the Catholic Church and the Holy Roman Empire, Friedrich IV had made attendance at Sunday schools mandatory for every school age child in the Empire.

rzvu.jpg

Lanze, instead, took his small group to Byzantium, where he intended to cause a civil war and see if might create a powerful republic on the Kaiser’s doorstep.

1uih.jpg

11 December 1687, Nürnberg

The civil war in Byzantium failed. That came as no surprise to all but the tiny group of compatriots of Lanze’s Lancers. Needless to say, the Basileus executed all three ringleaders after a plea for extradition was denied by the Kaiser. Friedrich was too focused on the war against Brittany, and with Admiral Dulac’s daring landing at Somerset, victory was assured.

zdwy.jpg

Friedrich IV was true to his word, taking only Somerset (along with a sizable cash prize, of course).

7dvq.jpg

With victory completed, Stadtholders and citizens alike expected the Kaiser to fulfill his promise to liberate the Imperial states. Another wave of Polish assassinations delayed these efforts, killing not only Johann Riedesel, the Steward, but the popular aristocrat Johann Theodor Asch.

2qme.jpg

To show his good faith, Friedrich IV had even allowed something unprecedented to the Conclave: the right to choose a new Steward from among their number. Christoph Pfretschner had been Stadtholder von Zürich ever since an older brother had inherited the family title of Graf von Schwyz. (The Pfretschners had reclaimed their title after the death of the Habsburgs.) Bitter at his exclusion from holding even a Barony, he convinced Rene Picard to name him Stadtholder after a generous contribution of gold to the Conclave’s coffers; a second, even larger, contribution secured the Steward’s job.

s6gx.jpg

Friedrich IV, without a moment’s hesitation, readily agreed to make him Steward. He even called a special meeting of not just the Conclave of Stadtholders, but of the rulers of every state in the Holy Roman Empire, to announce the liberation of his territories. The Kaiser, with all the usual formulae of politeness and civility, began his speech with exactly that. Satisfied, many of those meeting in the palace turned to leave. He held up a single hand.

“Friends, I cannot allow you to leave just yet. We must discuss the matter of Köln. I have not forgotten how Poland has spilled Bavarian blood in an effort to dissuade us from protecting our member states. Köln will not stand alone if Poland should choose to strike with honor instead of cowardice. I know each and every person here would answer Köln’s call to arms. I have taken the liberty of ensuring that you can do so, by seeding elements of the Bavarian army in your capital cities, ready to strike against a Polish attack.

“All I ask in return is that you swear to defend Köln – or any other Imperial state – in war. In gratitude, I would give you all the honored and glorious title of Herzog. I must insist that you wait to leave until you have signed the document my Chancellor has prepared for you. I am afraid signing it is mandatory.”

Some of the duller rulers of the member states applauded this seemingly generous statement. Yet more recognized what had happened. The title of Herzog was indeed an ancient one in the Empire, but it signified neither glory nor honor.

It signified absolute submission and the status of vassal. Many of the members present did as the Kaiser asked, but some did not.

1ms3.jpg

It was civil war.

I’ll reveal the details of the war next update. In the meantime, let’s have a contest! Three questions (one with two answers), and as always, if a character is alive, you are not eligible.

1. Who is, at present, the oldest living character submitted by a readAAR?
2. What is the largest state within the HRE that resists?
3. There will be two war leaders, both outside the HRE. Name either. (One guess per person for this question.)

Contest will end next Friday at 6 PM (GMT +4).

2. Hamburg(if provinces outside HRE f.e. colonies are also counted, if not, Brandenburg)
3.(Two? So on your side would be someone bigger which would take from you leading war?) So it would be Byzantium and Poland(I'm not quite understanding what you mean "One guess per person". I can guess only one, or for both countries I will get 2 characters? If I can guess only one, consider Byzantium as my choice)

And great update as always!

Excellent. Purge yourself of troublemakers and doubters so that the Empire may rise with its failures burned away!

1. Vito de Frizi
2. The largest polities I can think of are Hamburg and Brandenburg. I'd guess it's Brandenburg that rejects you.
3. Poland. It's been long enough for them to try their hand at revenge and they are strong enough to hope. France is just too scattered and weak to try.