• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Orders are due TOMORROW, but I have already begun to write the update. Please send me orders ASAP.

The Egyptian Navy - a force necessary for our nation

In the recent years, much focus has been laid on creating a naval force, and naval infrastructure for our nation, and only with limited success. The Navy is a force that is not only an object of prestige, or an object to present upon parades, no it is a force necessitated by our nation's location and interest.

With the completion of the Suez canal, once again Egypt, and foremost the port city of Alexandria has regained its spot on the artery of commerce, that flows from the far East to Europe. It is a return from the times, before the great voyages along the cape of good hope took place, where a direct connection of the seas makes this new line of commerce even more valuable than it was in the past.
This very line of commerce, entering into the red sea in the gulf of Aden is the most valuable item in Egypt's possession. Where in the last centuries, it was the Nile valley that meant food, goods and work for our people, this new waterline will soon surpass the Nile in importance.

If it is the water that brings us prosperity, whether in the form of the Nile, or in the form of the Red Sea and the Mediterranean, connected by the Suez canal, then it is our duty to protect it to the best of our ability, and for this, the only way forward is our maritime forces. If someone were to attempt to exert pressure on land, towards either Nile or Suez, he would face two mighty obstacles to overcome.
Firstly, our homeland, Egypt, and the desert itself is a shield, strong enough to fend of the mightiest of armies, who would face nothing but starvation in the unforgiving heat, and secondly, its people, us, the proud Egyptians, ready to defend our soil.

Thus, my people, we must expand our naval capabilities, to bring the spirit of our people, the spirit of defending our soil to the sea, and to those points of the world, that are still dangers to the safety of Nile, commerce and canal - to those points that harbor piracy and raiding.

KNS Sa'id Pasha on patrol duty in the red sea, near Aden

Expansion of our capabilities also requires you, as proud citizen of Egypt, to stand ready when the navy needs you, and to be ready to take upon the challenges of the necessary training and exercise, and it requires the nation, to have sufficient infrastructure to allow your service to be a valuable contribution to the nation.

Training exercises in the port of Alexandria
Thus, more and further efforts must be made, and this is, why it is necessary for Egypt, to build and maintain a strong naval force.

ooc: no moar russian ships in the egyptian navy!

Last edited:
500px-Flag_of_Empire_of_Brazil_%281847-1889%29.svg.png

Brazilians! During my campaign I vowed to act against the current crisis in Brazil and so shall I do. My actions will not be taken out of hatred for the other South American nations, know that the sacrifice of Mercosur is needed as I will not permit my nation to be plunged into a sea of financial collapse and instability. The words and promises that granted me the election were simple and easy to understand: "Brazil first".

Unlike other governments I shall not prioritize our relations with the other South Americans, my approach will be welcoming to immigrants and I will seek to treat all equally under my government, but do not mistake that for a foolish and non-existent hope of sustaining half of South America over our shoulders! Brazil is an Empire, the future of our nation lies overseas, it lies at controlling the South Atlantic and maintaining good trading relations with our historical friends in the United Kingdom, the French Empire and the United States of America! But navies are expensive, any children of God knows that, and how do you pay for the ships? With money! Yes, with the money that has been lost to sustain the treaty that should have benefitted not only Argentina or Chile, but also Brazil!

But do not be tricked, my men, you should not believe that the cause for our problems are simply the Spanish nations of South America. The treaty is the cause I say! And that is the reason that I am withdrawing the Brazilian signature from the Mercosur treaty until such a time where the economies and the political situation of the Hispano-American signatories of the treaty find stability. We wish the best of lucks to them, but shall not destroy our nation in order to ease their burden.

With Mercosur out of the way I am hopeful that we may improve the situation at hand during this year, it is through immigration and sound fiscal policies that we will be able to forge a powerful nation.

~ José Paranhos, Viscount of Rio Branco

400px-Flag_of_the_German_Empire.svg.png

The German Empire

Due to a variety of unavoidable factors, the Conference on the Colonization of the African Continent, also known informally as the "Berlin Conference", has been delayed until the spring of 1876.

Though this conference is primarily a means to jointly determine the future policy of the signatories of the London Convention regarding African colonization and its methodology, all nations with current or future interests in the African continent will be permitted to send representatives to present their case regarding their existing settlements and future claims. Once all claims have been submitted, their validity will be determined by joint resolution of the Convention signatories.

For its part, the German Empire views with extreme disfavor the reckless actions taken by certain powers to unilaterally expand their colonial claims in the wake of the London Convention. For every violation of the Convention, for every unregulated seizure of land, there will be an appropriate response.

On behalf of His Imperial and Royal Majesty, Wilhelm I, German Emperor and King of Prussia,
Otto von Bismarck
Chancellor of Germany and Minister-President of Prussia

EAfyDOD.png

THE CONGRESS AND ITS TAXATION POLICY OR HOW TO MAKE BELIEVE THAT MEXICO HAS A REAL GOVERNMENT

It has been a while since the President delivered a grand speech followed by no action to the nation. Now there have been changes, the government has figured that both actions and speeches are a waste of energy, since no matter what, the Liberal Party wins its elections. His Eminency Carbajal had to fake activity during the few months where he campaigned, and now he feels proud of himself and figures that he deserves some rest. Hence, the country is quiet. So quiet that every single refugee from every warzone in the world comes to Mexico to get some peace of mind. And as the government has decided that keeping the doors open is much less a hassle than controlled and intelligent immigration policies, they have established themselves. On top of this, the new communities are useful for the government, that doesn't have to worry about many health issues, for instance stray dogs have started to disappear from the country. Of course, domestic dogs disappear too, but isn't that the unavoidable cost of progress?

The digression ends here, as we need to keep up with the extremely intense activity of the Congress. Indeed, fifteen years after the end of the war and the return to stability, our great congressmen have decided to go on a legislation spree, to 'modernize, unify and simplify' taxes, business laws and the financial code as a whole. You may remember that the financial code was 'unified and simplified' a few years ago with very limited effects to say the least but it doesn't matter to the great men who govern this country, this time business law will be reviewed too. Maybe this is meant to bring investors to Mexico, just like the costly propaganda they spread all over the world last year. Yes, the one that was supposed to bring wealth to the country and that slightly backfired. Hopefully this time, it will work. Or it won't, but it will created enough activity to make people believe that they have actually voted for competent persons. That's all the Liberal Party wants to do, now that its suffrage has passed, it can secure countless victories easily. Making promises they won't hold is also a tool they've grown fond of. More on page three, with our honest and sincere legislative recommendations to the Congress.

sxIP56A.jpg

When looking at it from the windows of the Congress, Mexico does seem wealthy and peaceful. Maybe our Congressmen should spend more time outside Mexico City?

'THE GRAND PROJECT WAS EXPENSIVE SO WE COULD NOT AFFORD COMPASSES'

Did you know Mexico was indebted? We all heard Juarez's pleas to Europe, when he tried to get rid of the debt by unconventional means. You can call it unconventional means or plain financial scheme, that is entirely up to the reader, El Ahuizote doesn't take sides, an attack of Rurales on our office can happen so fast. Afterwards, when we had to let French and British goods flood the country, it was a general assumption that Mexico was doing better, at least that the books were balanced. It may have been the case for a few years, as the government did its best to have its project financed by other countries and or by 'daring industrialists' - at El Ahuizote, we prefer the term 'dirty nepotists' as many of them were strangely close to the Congress like we have proven in the past. So it seemed like the Mexican struggle with is debt was finally getting better. This was the case until His Most Imperial and Ducal Hero, the dear Carbajal, came to power. I will disband the Rurales and focus on Mexico, he said. What did he do? He sent money to India and Nicaragua. What a wonderful way to focus on Mexico.

The government created information folders for European businessmen. And, by a miracle only Mexico can pull, they ended up in South-East Asia where they were widely spread. So widely spread that it costed nearly 4 million British pounds to print and distribute them. We could make a simple sum, basing ourselves on the price such folders cost to determinate how many of them have been printed, but it's certain that South-East Asia now has enough toilet paper, Mexico is certainly a leading force of progress. Likewise, the printing sector of the economy has boomed, giving jobs to hundreds of immigrants, isn't the whole affair splendid? On the downside, Mexico spent 8% of its GDP to print them, but undoubtedly, it was the right thing to do.

The second great accomplishment of our President was to build bridges between people. Friendship even. But certainly not to read a map. So indeed, our brave workers and engineers couldn't find their way to the Nicaragua Canal. But we mustn't blame them, after all everyone could miss a gigantic hold in the ground where tens of thousands of people work. Maybe our glorious explorers were too eager to promote links Mexico and Nicaragua and had drunk the Pulque they had brought along as diplomatic gift, who knows and who would blame them? Of course, one could argue that Mexico doesn't have to build other people's canals as it has many other challenges to deal with in Mexico proper. But that wouldn't be good for friendship bridges-building, so we won't talk about that. What will we write about, is the new governmental idea. It seems the government is out of ideas, and wants the people to give it ideas to 'improve Mexico'. In our opinion, the foremost idea that should be implemented would be a competent ruling class and tight budget control. But after all, we are mere journalists who criticize our betters, surely a government that spends 10% of its GDP outside its borders for no result is doing a much better job than we do. Even the Court of Justice (whose President happens to be a politician) agrees with this idea. For our analysis on the Court, go to page 5.

OCr3Q4K.jpg

The Congress does not spend too much money at all and isn't inefficient. Not at all. It's the Court that says so.

OOC: El Ahuizote was a satirical newspaper, with no partisan affiliation, attacking both parties and advocating for a better democracy.

Last edited:
Treaty of Silistra

I. Territorial Exchanges

1. All lands inhabited by a majority of ethnic Romanians in the Ottoman Province of Silistra shall be ceded, in perpetuity, to the Kingdom of Romania

II. Monetary Payments

1. The Ottoman Empire shall be indebted fifteen million Lira to the Kingdom of Romania, paid in full by the year's end

III. Diplomatic Reassurances

1. Sultan Abdülmecid I of the Ottoman Empire shall issue an official apology, written and orated personally, to both King Alexandru Ioan I of the Kingdom of Romania, and the general public of both signatories

2. Sultan Abdülmecid I of the Ottoman Empire will officially recognize the Kingdom of Romania as an equal, promising to never again sully the honor of either signatories ever again

3. The Kingdom of Romania and the Ottoman Empire shall both sign into effect a non-aggression pact to last in perpetuity

IV. Renouncement of Claims

1. The Kingdom of Romania will renounce any and all claims levied against lands under the sovereignty of the Ottoman Empire

2. The Ottoman Empire will renounce any and all claims levied against lands under the sovereignty of the Kingdom of Romania

[X] - Alexandru Ioan I, King of the Romanians
[X] - Sultan Abdülmecid I of the Ottoman Empire

Last edited:
[X] signed Sultan Abdulmecid I of the Ottoman Empire

OOC:Here we go with the liras again :p

500px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png

THE UNITED KINGDOM
of Great Britain and Ireland

SECOND PEKING CONVENTION

In order to restore peace to the Asian continent, and restore Anglo-Russian and Anglo-Chinese relations and trade, the signatories agree to the following:

Article I: Re-Affirmation of Past Treaties
i. The signatories re-affirm the provisions of the Peking Convention of 1860, with the following exceptions:
a. The Qing shall be allowed to regulate the consumption of opium within its borders.
b. The Qing shall be allowed to regulate the purchase of opium within its borders.
c. The Qing shall not be allowed to regulate the sale of opium within its borders.
ii. The signatories re-affirm the provisions of the Treaty of Ili, without exception.
iii. The signatories re-affirm the provisions of the Treaty of Kabul, without exception.
a. The Russian Republic further renounces any alliance with the Barakzai Empire.
b. The Russian Republic further guarantees that it shall provide absolutely no support nor aid of any kind to the Barakzai Empire.
iv. The signatories recognize that the provisions of these three treaties may only be changed via a good-faith agreement between the parties that the agreements originally concern.

Article II: Qing leases to the United Kingdom
i. The Qing shall lease the complete municipality of Hong Kong to the United Kingdom.
ii. The Qing shall lease the complete municipality of Weihai to the United Kingdom.
iii. The Qing shall lease the complete island of Formosa to the United Kingdom.
iv. These leases shall last 100 years, and at the expense of 400,000 British pounds per year.

Article III: Additional Clauses on Trade and Concessions in the territory of the Qing
i. All signatories agree that the concessions of Macao, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Ryojun, Weihai, and Formosa are the only Chinese concessions to foreign powers, and that all further concessions must have the good-faith approval of the Qing as well as the Russian Republic and the United Kingdom.
ii. The United Kingdom and her merchants shall receive the right to construct railroads within the lands owned by the Qing, and shall be allowed to trade in any town or city served by these railroads.
a. These rights shall be continued provided that the Chinese are allowed to use these railroads.
b. These railroads must be sold to the Qing within two decades of their construction for a fair price, as jointly defined by the owners, the Qing, and the United Kingdom.
c. Following their sale, the United Kingdom and her merchants shall retain favorable rights to these railroads.
iii. The signatories agree the Qing may contract British or Russian companies' services, provided their respective governments' approval.

Article IV: The Canadian Territory of Alaska
i. All Russians in Alaska shall receive a full pardon for any wartime activities.
ii. All Russians in Alaska shall be permitted to emigrate from Canada to Russia should they choose to.
iii. The Government of Canada shall make no move to abridge the Russian Canadians' right of free travel.
iv. All Russians who stay in Alaska must take an Oath of Loyalty to the Government of Canada and Her Majesty, Queen Victoria.

[X] Her Majesty, Victoria, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, on behalf of Her Majesty's Empire, Her Dominions, and Her Protectorates
[X] Alexander Gorchakov, Chancellor of the Russian Republic
[ ] Representative of the Qing

Following this peace, Her Majesty mobilizes the reserves of the British Raj, in order to finish off the Barakzai traitors and restore order to the region.

On a separate topic, Her Majesty shall suspend the interest payments required of the Empire of Brazil for one year. This is to allow immediate relief to the Brazilian economy, after which a British delegation shall be sent to Rio de Janeiro to work out a recovery plan to ensure the viability of British loans to Brazil.

~Official Message from Her Majesty's Government

Last edited:
The Great Qing​

The conclusion of this war marks a changing point for the Great Qing, the continued dominance of foreign firepower and military strength has revealed the necessity of making changes to the armies of China to better enable them to defeat foreign invaders and defend China from those who seek to take advantage of it. Thus new weapons and equipment are being procured and placed in the hands of the armies loyal to the Dragon Throne such that they may defend our nation and put an end to this cancerous rebellion. To combat the threat of these rebels, 500,000 men shall be conscripted.
To the rebels:
The Emperor, in his beneficence, has seen fit to offer you amnesty. Lay down your arms now and be pardoned for any further resistance will be met with the full force of the armies of China, further resistance will only lengthen suffering of the people of China and create more suffering.
However, if you do not accept this amnesty, you shall be branded traitors to China, collaborationists with foreigners. And as such you will be removed, your names stricken from history, and honoring your spirit shall forever be banned.
In foreign affairs:
The Qing shall sign this treaty to bring an end to the suffering of the Chinese people and establish the ground work for future prosperity. However, in regards to the opium trade, though unable to regulate its import or sale, China will take the necessary steps to eradicate this cancer from the population.
In regards to the situation in Korea, China shall take the necessary steps to support is vassal and the status quo on the peninsula.

[X] The Tongzhi Emperor

Events of the World: 1875

Europe

In an attempt to show that the United Kingdom was, indeed, the undisputed master of all the seas, and ambitious and massive project was undertaken by the Admiralty, to be spread out over a period of about a decade. Nearly three hundred ships total were laid down, with the final ship expected to enter service in the spring of 1885. While the Royal Navy had not seen much in the way of successes recently, it did show that it had the pure resolve and willpower to become the largest surface fleet in existence, dwarfing the fleets of all other European states.

In an attempt to keep in touch with the Empire’s more liberal routes, and wishing to prove he had the support of the people, Emperor Napoleon IV ordered a vote to affirm him as Emperor of the French, as well as to introduce some minor changes to the French Constitution to allow the Prime Minister to be elected by the people through the legislature. At the same time, some state functions were released to the Legislature, which quickly began to assert its power, holding some control over the French state. Patrice de Mac-Mahon, Duke of Magenta, was quickly nominated and voted into office as the new Prime Minister of France. Some power was retained by the Emperor to dismiss the Prime Minister at any time, but the move seemed to be a step in the right direction, most notably in the heavily-occupied areas of Wallonia, where the French Army had been stationed on occupational duties to ensure that the former Belgians did not revolt against French rule. The referendum was a success, with sixty eight percent of the population supporting the Emperor, and a similar number supporting the new constitutional changes.

france-soldiers-keeping-the-streets-at-bordeaux-1871-89845-p%5Bekm%5D400x298%5Bekm%5D.jpg

Soldiers standing guard at polling stations across France.

In Paris a few large monuments were erected to Emperor Napoleon III, as well as the former Prime Minister, in a bid to show that they would not be forgotten in the minds of the French, they were hailed as monuments of the past, to show the glory of the burgeoning French Empire.

The Chassepot Rifle undergoes some renovations and design changes, focused on fixing several of the flaws the old design, the new version was rolled out and distributed to army quickly, hoping that many of the faults were fixed. Garrisons in Cochinchina and along the Franco-German border were prioritised for improvements, and the arms were ready to be used by November.

As some Generals began to criticise the Spanish Military with not being strict and regimented enough, reforms are quickly brought about to ensure that the entire structure is rigid, and up to par with many other European nations. Strict doctrines of discipline were adopted, and after a few months of trouble with the men, they were implemented and widely used, creating a very harsh, cold, but efficient, military.

So much time was spent on the improvement of the military, that the personnel themselves were mistreated. Desertion was high in this new system, and attempts to recruit more men were ignored as no one wished to be a part of the army.

Minor reforms are started in Portugal as the economy begins to take a downturn. Some expenses are cut, and regulations stopped, and soon the a positive outlook, but just barely, was awarded to the Portuguese. While it was an improvement over the nearly one and a half percent contraction that was expected, it was still a far cry away from the current population growth in Portugal.

Across the Netherlands, massive, sweeping, changes were taken to help combat the recession that was settling in across Europe. While some talked of raising taxes to ensure revenue could be spent to plow through the recession, the Dutch took a step in the other direction, slashing taxes by somewhere near ninety per cent. While such a large income was gained normally, it did affect the government’s ability to begin new projects and upkeep the infrastructure around the nation. Priority was focused on maintenance, and not improvement, of the many state-owned and run objects around the nation. Government revenue, and expenses, dropped, and the Dutch were able to post a slight gain in total money flowing in by the end of the year, as the economy began to show signs of a quick recovery.

In the German Empire, the German Admiralty is formally split away from the German High Command, creating an independent command structure solely for the navy, similar to what is seen in the United Kingdom. While the Army does remain the largest part of the German Armed Forces, this new change did allow for some newer reforms to be pushed through. The Imperial German Naval Academy was established in Kiel, for the purpose of trying to better train officers and sailors for the navy.

Across Northern Germany, an ambitious, though expensive, construction project was put underway. A large amount of Ironclads was ordered, along with a myriad of smaller ships, to help ensure that the German Empire was well represented across the oceans. The ironclads were put somewhat on hold, with their construction being delayed a bit to get the remainder of the ships out during this year, but they were expected to be completed in the next year.

Partially motivated by the increase in tensions around Europe, the German Government begins to increase the amount of heavy coastal guns along the Baltic and North Seas, as well as building some new strings of forts along the border with France, the Netherlands, Danubia, and Russia. Special care was put into the Baltic Sea fortifications and the ones along the border with Russia, as were the demands given the German High command. Most completed construction during the year, with only a few left to be completed in the next year. The largest, however, was a string of forts outside and in the city of Posen, which was getting a massive defensive complex to help defend the city from any attack.

stuartpointbatteryin1875.jpg

New German coastal guns along the Baltic Sea.

In a bid to help ward off the massive deficit that Italian government was posting, taxes were hiked across the board to help pay for the money being spent elsewhere. The recession that began to grip the country only deepened, as capital began to flee Italy to more low-tax havens. With the exception of a few smaller states, Italy had the highest tax rates in Europe, but not nearly as high as the former Austrian Empire. People protested this move, but it was peaceful.

Across Italy, more coal mines are opened to produce more for the many ships of the Italian Navy. The direct government investment was able to help ensure that production was able to increase despite labour cuts and falling productivity, and it was expected that within a few years, Italy would be able to produce enough domestic coal to fuel her large fleet of warships.

Italian experiments with the torpedo end is a disaster as during testing of the weapons, one continued past its intended target, and slammed into a passenger vessel that was docked alongside the port. The explosion was enough to nearly rip the ship in two, killing everyone in the blast zone, as it capsized onto the dock, killing hundreds of boarding passengers and well-wishers on the dock. A second torpedo, that was thought to have been a dud and sunk, actually was still floating on the surface, where another ship clipped with her rear, destroying her rudder. Unable to steer, the ship careened into the passenger ship, further exacerbating the damage done. After this incident, the torpedo program was quietly scrapped, as protests and demands for justice were made for the 924 that died during that day.

alice.png

The image blazed across the front page of many newspapers about the incident.

Although the war seemed a long ways away from the current Danubian state, the shadowy remains of the Habsburgs still hung around the Commonwealth. Poor railroads, breaking canals, and horrible roads plagued true improvements for the country. The Danubian Infrastructure Modernisation Act of 1875 was passed with ease, bringing large investments into roads, bridges, canals, and some new railways. Also included were improvements to various ports to help house the Danubian Navy. Much of the work would be finished by 1876, but some of the effects were felt from the government taking action to begin to repair these old, and broken, places.

From both domestic and foreign sources, the Danubian Military begins to put in orders for more and better equipment for the armed forces. The guns and cannons began to pour into Commonwealth stockpiles and armouries, ready to fight any conflict that could come about in Africa, or in Europe.

Continued attempts for Denmark to seem active in solving the current recession ends in failure, as certain mismanagement by the government causes a drop in public satisfaction and economic growth.

In the halls of the Swedish-Norwegian government, many began to grumble and complain about their own spending habits, declaring that debt was appearing out of nowhere, and many cursed at God for allowing such things to happen to their wonderfully crafted state. Taking the step they wished they didn’t need to do, the government began to raise some taxes to help close the budget gap. Competing with Italy for the highest taxes in Europe, the Swedish government hoped that this would be the last measure they had to take to pay down their debt.

In Southern Sweden and Stockholm, great care was made to invest government funds into the area to kickstart the Swedish industrialisation processes. No focus was put into Norway, which began to protest such treatment of Sweden, as they paid their taxes just as much as any Swede did. Nevertheless, factories were built, railroads laid down, and a more fluid economy began to take shape. Southern Sweden was well on its way to becoming the industrial centre of the country, unlike in Stockholm where most of it was located previously.

43329_1.JPG

Factory workers in Southern Sweden posing for a picture.

One of the most monumental changes in Europe took place within the Republic of Russia. The massive amount of wealth extracted from the Indian subcontinent and brought to Moscow was quickly put to use by the government. The first step was the expansion of railroads throughout the Republic. The main lines went into the basin of the Donets River, branching out to many different mining locations, as well as around Krivoy Rog, where a large concentration of iron ore deposits lay. At the same time, mines were expanded and opened by the government for the procurement of minerals and resources that would soon extend to other parts of the country. The first major, concentrated, attempts to encourage industrial production across Russia began in earnest. The cities of Tula, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Riga, Rostov-on-Don, Kiev, Minsk, Kharkiv, Ekaterinburg, Nizhny Novgorod, Kazan, and Tsaritsyn quickly began to see development and investment by many capitalists and other interested parties who had begun to take loans and other benefits from the Russian government. Cast Iron, Steel, Coke, Textiles, Food and Sugar Processings, and more different types of industry soon began to flourish around the country. Such a massive undertaking was financed mostly by the government, but it also had some side benefits, as some industrialists took it upon themselves to also build a massive network of railways, hoping to connect many of these cities in a central location. Moscow was chosen, due to its position as the economic and political hub of the Republic, to be the centre of most railroads from these locations. As the rails snaked across the Republic, it boasted such a gain in new lines laid down, that it had near the same length of railroad tracks than Germany and France combined, only missing by a few thousand kilometres. Such a surge in investment and industry quickly had an effect on the economy, as it began to pick up and shoot off. Production and productivity also shot up. The Russian economy, which had been going on and off through recessions and falling economic growth, seemed now on track for a massive upswing.

zxah.jpg

A factory outside Ekaterinburg, used for iron smelting.

While this was happening, the Russian Army was mobilised, calling in as much of the reserves as they could. As the process was being completed, it was noted how many soldiers were mustered into service. A total of one million, three hundred thousand men were brought to their local centres, given some training, and issued a faux rifle. The process was deeply examined into what was flawed, and what had worked - and quickly began a series of reforms based off these assumptions. It was expected to take nearly two years to review the overall process, but they felt that could make the entire thing much more efficient and quick.

Balkans/Near East

The Treaty of Silistra was signed between the Ottoman Government and the Romanian Government, amounting to a few km of land changes, some money changing hands, with the Ottoman Empire humiliated at the hands of the Romanians. The backlash in Anatolia at this was immense, as public support for the centuries old empire seemingly collapsed from under it.

King Alexandru Ioan of Romania begins to rally the Romanian people, giving speeches in major Romanian cities, declaring that, with the Ottoman Empire bowing to them, that Romania was poised to enter a new era of prosperity and peace within the Balkans. He made it clear that he wished all Romanians to continue to be productive, as it was an important tenement of life in this new era.

After constant bursts of anger by some Greek officials, a statue dedicated to those who were killed in the brief war against the Ottomans is completed. It is built in the city of Ioannina, and shortly after completion, it is noted that a lot of the names were spelled wrong, and people began to detest it. A strong storm finished the job one day, by toppling the statue, but not before killing the widow of one of the fallen as it landed on her.

On a more positive note, the government begins to provide a large amount of yearly funding to the establishment of medical centres and hospitals in high density areas. Even with a sinking economy, any Greek was able to get some good medical care, helping to prevent untimely deaths, and there was an increase in population growth. Many wondered about how the effects of the recession would hit the country, as more and more people would be there every single year, even as the economy contracted.

The first signs of trouble for the Ottoman Empire was the foundation of the “Free Serb Army”, located in Herzegovina, began attacks against Ottoman forces in Turkish-held areas of Serbia and Herzegovina. The news hit Constantinople hard, and a public outcry for action was heard, even as the Ottomans were once again repulsed from these areas. The Serbs actions began to spread into the countryside, removing any sort of coherent control of these areas from the Ottomans.

780px-Hercegovinci_v_zasade.gif

A sketch of depicting the Serbian uprisings.

Following the Serbs uprising and expulsion of the Ottomans, the Bulgarians, under attack and abandoned by Constantinople, began their own uprisings. What was called the “August Uprisings”, began on August 16th in Sofia, and quickly spread to other Bulgarian-dominated cities and towns. The Ottoman Government, forced by the calls of the other Turkish citizens calling for a brutal oppression of such an uprising. A massive invasion force was summoned into Bulgaria, and a campaign of terror against the Bulgarians, who only a few years ago had been loyal citizens of the Ottoman Empire, were now murdered, their houses burned, and soldiers left to do unthinkable things to the populace. The crackdown was so hard, many European newspapers had trouble printing the actions taken by the Ottomans. It was said that nearly twenty thousand Bulgarians died due to the policing actions. The outcry around the world was immense, with the British public demanding a review of the Empire’s policies towards the Ottomans. Nowhere was the reaction stronger than in Russia, where people of nearly every class demanded action be taken against the Ottomans for such atrocities. Fyodor Dostoyevsky and Ivan Turgenev’s ideas quickly became the main driving reaction in Russia. Dostoevsky felt that at this time, the Republic needed to act in order to liberate fellow Orthodox christians. Since the fall of the Romanov dynasty, religion had begun to play a smaller role in Russia, but these actions quickly brought about its revival. The position most symphastised by members of the Russian Government, however, was Turgenev’s, in which it was the duty of the Republic to liberate Bulgaria from the grasp of the Ottomans, motivated to hatred and spite due to their declining popularity amongst their subjects and weakening grip upon their country.

The Ottoman response to the uprising, with the excessive brutality, was looked upon and cheered by the Turkish majority in Anatolia, which saw this as the correct direction the country should be headed in, helping to bolster the Sultan’s domestic support.

Infrastructure projects are started in Anatolia, and while some were scheduled for the Balkans, they were quickly abandoned. These included a railway to help link many Turkish cities together, as well as the improvement of roads and bridges across the country, hoping to allow a better economic growth for the Empire to reemerge in the midst of the recession currently facing Europe.

The Egyptian Navy, long overlooked and not given proper attention to by the Egyptian government, demands a proper military facility to base their fleet in. The port of Alexandria was expanded, and improved, to allow the Egyptians proper usage and supplying of a modern navy, which quickly was approaching the government’s top priority list.

North America

A large-scale propaganda campaign was launched across Canada to raise support for both the war against the Natives and against the Russians, who continued to occupy Alaska and clamour for return to Russia, even with the the Russian Republic declaring peace with the United Kingdom. Canadians far and wide proclaimed their support for the government, and wished to do whatever was in their power to ensure victory was won for the Empire.

Likewise, a large series of fortifications were built along the boundaries of the more heavily populated Canadian territories, signalling that the government was willing to fight until the grueling end, all the way through the vast white north. To some, it did signal a weakness, but to most they were bolstered by the propaganda, and many signed up for armed service.

The natives in Rupert’s Land, however, looked to make the first strike against the Canadians. The Canadian transcontinental railroad was severed in early May, cutting off fast connections and communication between Vancouver and the east. Several battles took place along homestead, most of them inconclusive. The natives were able to push the Canadians back, and link up with a force in the United States. Using supplies raided from Canadian and American camps, the Lakota, along with Chief Red Cloud and Chief Crazy Horse, began a revolt against American rule, using their control of the Dakota territory as a main staging ground. Several forts were sieged, and several massacres of American settlers undertaken. Authority quickly slipped to the Indians, as American cavalry was rushed out to the west to deal with this.

800px-Fetterman_massacre.jpg

A native raid in the Western United States, lead by Chief Red Cloud.

Even with the news pouring in from the West, the Eastern states had much to celebrate about. The Edison Electric Light Station was opened in New York City, electric generators, driven by steam engines, were used to help illuminate some of the streets of New York. Some shop owners directly near the plant were able to buy into it, some installing lighting directly inside their shops, increasing the amount of time they could be used. Some of the new filaments shipped out in lightbulbs now lasted longer, not needing replacement only once every week or so. While many considered it to be wasteful to have these expensive bulbs, the citizens of New York felt that having such bright streets at night, as well as perfectly illuminated cafes and restaurants, was well worth the weekly hassle. This was reflected in the Philadelphia and Mexico City, where both executive offices made use of the electric light bulb.

President James Longstreet spends much of the year traveling through Virginia, Georgia, North Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee, giving many speeches about the importance of Confederate unity and the ability for the Central Government to be able to exert the control it needed across the country. He cited many examples of inefficient allocation of resources, and the inability to effectively do much around the country. Many of the ruling elite opposed such reforms, but it was gaining much popularity with the common man.

The Confederate government begins some reforms of their naval officer corps, by importing some Italian and French admirals. Many of them demand high wages for little help, and while some progress is made regarding ship formation and tactics, it came at a high price.

Land grants by some state governments and the federal government are useful in Virginia and North Carolina, where slavery has slowly been on the decline, and factories began to pop up. Although it was mostly textile mills and tobacco rolling factories, it did much to solidify the Northern Confederacy as the industrial heartland of the Confederate States, while Slavery flourished in the southern Confederacy, most notably Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia, and Florida. South Carolina had, since the end of the War between the States, begun to pivot towards a more industrial and trade-based economy. Arkansas and Tennessee stayed dependent on slavery, but it was slowly declining. In Texas and Arizona, the economies seemed to be heavily dependent on immigrants and free labour, with only East Texas being the stronghold for slavery. This solidified these two areas as the more liberal parts of the Confederacy, as the population slowly began to turn against slavery in this area.

The Mexican Legislature takes a wide, sweeping measure against inefficiency and regulations, abolishing many of which did not apply to the industrial-minded government, and nearly one hundred bills were passed voiding older bills and merging some older ones, and placing in new reforms into place. While the system was a bit better and business-friendly than before, it did not produce the results many wished it had.

The Mexican government begins a massive campaign to try and become familiar with the various methods of agricultural production, and industrial production, from around the world, as the new immigrants bring many new and bright ideas to them. Several reactionary forces had been hiding in the government, and quickly took up the mantle for this project, and twenty out of twenty surveyed said that the absolute best form of production was the ones that had taken place in Mexico during the 1830s and 1840s, and that the new embracing of Western European standards would do nothing more than plunge Mexico into the same type of financial trouble.

The massive influx of Indian immigrants to Mexico sparked the rise of the anti-Immigrant “Mexican Defense League”, which was fully focused on trying to cut off immigration from India. Terror attacks were carried out on Indian villages and settlements, and attempts for the government to enforce any type of specific response to this was corrupted by the large number of League members who held government positions inside the country. The Conservatives, which had long been cast aside in the political area, quickly seized this force, and framed itself as the Pro-Mexican, anti-Immigrant party, garnering a large amount of support.

immigrants-chinese-1875-granger.jpg

The interior of a typical Mexican immigration office, many of which were attacked in 1875.

Argentina’s military government sends an array of engineers to Nicaragua to begin help with the Nicaragua Canal. With the American engineers strained to sustain themselves in the environment, the Argentinians, more used to this climate, were sent ahead to help scout and map out the surrounding areas. The data they collected was a massive boon to the Americans, as they were able to figure out a slightly quicker route that required one less lock to be built on the Atlantic side.

Stirring up feelings of national pride, so shortly after the War Between the States, the American government began to frame the Nicaragua Canal as a testament to American resolve and unity. While the South had broken away, they felt that they were much more united as a people now. The fervour this set off brought many more people to take the journey to work on the canal. This was good, as working conditions were harsh, and hundreds of people died each year from the construction of it. It was hailed as a necessity, however, and progress continued.

In the sole remaining Spanish colony in the New World, Puerto Rico, the Spanish government begins to bring about fortifications and gun batteries. New colonial soldiers are drawn up, and soon Puerto Rico was able to boast some of the best defensive capabilities in the Caribbean, better than the Confederate defenses in Cuba and the American defenses in Domnica.

South America

Relations between Ecuador and the North Andean Confederation worsen, as a trip to the country ended in failure as calls to put aside political ideologies came off as attempts to force them to unite under Colombian rule, and follow their own ideology. Public talks of leaving the North Andean Confederation were abound in Ecuador, with a vote planned for the next year upon their continued membership.

A National Anthem of the North Andean Confederation is established, proudly displayed with posters and pamphlets across Colombia and Venezuela. Calls for full integration, with some even calling Ecuador a rebellious province that needed to be crushed, were abound, as support for the country reached soaring heights.

The Peruvian Government spends much of 1876 attempting to attract immigration from South Asia. Still terrorised and prosecuted in Mexico, many Indians and Barakzai nationals flood into Peru, with some being artisans and labourers, who had to flee Delhi and the Barakzai Empire due to the war. With immigration on the uptick, measures were needed to help the economy, while not tied to Mercosur, still need to gain independence, and some ties with Brazil would benefit both nations.

Following his campaign promises, Prime Minister Paranhos had Brazil leave Mercosur almost immediately after taking office, and shortly after nationalized the banks of Brazil. Both of these actions go swimmingly, as Brazil nearly cuts itself off from the South American economy, and its finances begin to stabilize. Further, the United Kingdom suspending the interest Brazil had to pay on its debts led to a grand improvement in the Brazilian government’s budget. These massive changes take effect almost immediately, as the recession halts and growth slowly begins to heal.

Naturalisation laws pass in Brazil, allowing immigrants who have lived in Brazil for a certain amount of time to become citizens of the Empire, granting them the rights of any other regular Brazilian citizen. An uptick in immigration is seen, fueled by the hatred in Mexico, as they decide to settle in Brazil instead.

Calls go out for investors and merchants to invest into the expansion of Brazil’s merchant fleet, in the hopes that new trade connections, and possible supply ships, could reach Africa under the hopes they would get an African colony. Few believed this to be an even remote possibility, and very little was gained, having nearly no effect on the country as a whole.

Subsidies are handed out massively to farmers and ranchers in Argentina, hoping to get them to produce enough food stuff to be able to export to other nations to increase their trade income. While some foodstuffs are exported, the vast majority go to the many starving in Argentina.

The new Government, headed by Juan Bautista Gill, orders the construction of a new Paraguayan Navy. Based along the river, twenty five ships were constructed, able to defend the river itself, as well as Paraguay’s right to access to the sea. Plans for another batch were considered, but the high costs were rejected by the government.

The “Farming Grant Bill of 1875” is passed, allocating money to farmers who would be given machinery and other necessities to help the country’s overall production. Many farmers simply take the money, and grow what food they need, and use the money for their own benefit, at the detriment to the overall economy.

The former Chilean currency was abandoned, and a new one, called the Escudo, was introduced. As a method to combat the hyperinflation previous experienced, it was pegged at nearly 100 old money to one Escudo. Controls on printing and monetary supply were established, helping to bring a stable currency back to Chile.

Some moderate investments into a reformation of the Chilean education system are undertaken, some of which are met with success, and some with failures. By the end of the year, a new curriculum is implemented, attempting to maximise on the amount of good changes they could decide upon.

Africa

In West Africa, the British sign a series of treaties with some smaller local tribes, incorporating them into some of the garrisons and colonial offices there. The transition was peaceful, and it was quickly incorporated as the Crown Colony of Sierra Leone.

The Sokot Government begins plans to develop a “modern” navy. Despite the fact that the majority of the people in the country who loyally followed the Caliph had never seen water bigger than a lake, he pushed forward to the establishment of a Navy. Some ships were purchased from the British, saying that they were “Top of the line quality”, when in fact they were nothing more than a few old, broken tugs. In what was supposed to be a short journey, the new Sokot Navy sailed out from port. It never returned back to their destination, but three British tugs were found smashed up along the shores of the Falkland Islands, her crew nowhere to be found.

The Treaty of Ivory Coast was signed between the United States and the Sokoto Caliphate, soothing the relations the two had after several Americans were murdered at the hands of some of the Caliph’s subjects. The first payment is sent to the United States Treasury for their actions, as relations between the two countries normalised.

Spanish holdings in Africa are continued to be expanded, although with less settlers this year. Small military outposts are established, and some are overtaken by natives, before being recaptured shortly before the year's end. Not a lot of progress was made, as settlers still stayed closer to the shore, where it was much safer for them due to supplies and communication reasons.

In Southwest Africa, several Swedish ports were established, and loosely garrisoned, in the sparsely populated area. The few natives that did exist were expelled with force, and the Swedes quickly began to fortify the area. While expensive, the Swedes did hope this becomes a more profitable endeavour.

Industry begins to gain some small traction in the South African Republic, as a small manufacturing house is made for some farm equipment. While powered by the flow of a river, it was able to better produce goods for farming.

As the Oranje Free State begins to spiral into a crushing recession, the South African Republic was able to post record economic gains, becoming one of the best performing economies in Africa. With Europeans eagerly grabbing land, State President J. H. Brand, in a public address, proposes a union between Orange and the South African Republic, under the leadership of President Marthinus Wessel Pretorius, which would simply annex Oranje into the South African Republic, integrating the Boers under one state.

The Portuguese colonial government in Mozambique quickly expands their holdings to the border of Italian East Africa, adding it Mozambique and opening it to Portuguese settlement.

With the high taxes and public outrage over the disaster with the torpedo project, the Italian Government is quick to offer cheap land grants in Africa, one in which was accompanied with a large amount of soldiers to help keep the natives at bay. Thousands begin to migrate to Italian East Africa, where they hope to find a better life with less oppressive taxes. Heavily garrisoned, coastal towns and cities quickly popped up, filled with Italians and Italian-speaking natives that were tolerated. While no expansion was made into the interior, these cities and town soon became a small string of economic activity.

At the same time, the Italians send reinforcements to Africa to begin their trek inwards, claiming more land for Italian East Africa. They reached the shores of Lake Victoria, named after Queen Victoria in the 1850s by several British expeditions who discovered the Lake, and quickly made it a point to establish control over the area with the construction of outposts, some forts, and telegraph lines to help communicate to the shore garrisons for supplies and medicines needed to sustain in that environment.

Baines_klaass_smits_river_broke_hi.jpg

Italian settlers moving inwards into Italian East Africa.

Danubian forays into Africa do not go nearly as well as they had been planned. Along the horn of Africa, they announced they would be annexing the remainder of the Somali tribes. Fierce resistance, as well as a strange supply of guns from Djibouti, lead the Danubians stalled in the Horn, attempting to subjugate those peoples. A breakthrough was finally achieved in mid-June, allowing the Army to expand into the area. Suspicious French packages, filled with guns and supplies, were seized from the Somalis, raising tensions between the two countries massively. Order had to be restored to the area, forcing them to abandon any more plans they had to expand further into the areas current controlled only be local tribes.

While the Danubian Government had meant for Henry Morgan Stanley and his expeditionary forces to expand in West Africa, he was shuttled off to Danubian East Africa instead, where he was told to try and get to Lake Victoria and claim it for the Commonwealth. A new lake was discovered by the explorers however, and was named Lake Potocki after the President of the Commonwealth. It was established as the western border of the colony, as Stanley began to help establish and explore the official boundaries between Italian East Africa and Danubian East Africa. The endeavour began to become a large money sink, but the government seemed adamant in their continuation of the policy.

Asia

A few factories were established in Tehran to create weapons for the Persian Army, using British investors and some of their ideas. The entire operation cost a very large amount of money, taken in loans from the United Kingdom, and while it was officially deemed a failure, more Persians worked in factories and weapons were pouring into the Persian Army, ready to be used.

Forts across Persia were garrisoned with soldiers and weapons, until a minor skirmish forced them to evacuate a fort for a few months. Barakzai soldiers were moving supplies in the area, and after a brief battle, the Persians were repulsed, only to regroup and dislodge them, nearly closing any remaining routes they could take through Persia.

At the same time, the Russians began their general withdrawal from Barakzai and India as a whole. Without incident, the Russians were able to retreat back through the area until most of them were able to be transported back to their homes. The Cossacks, however, under their own control, began to raid against the Persian borders, as a sort of retribution against them for their severing of the railroad. The Persians, taking this as an invasion into their own territory (Which the Cossacks did indeed do), quickly moved into their former province, which they had advanced knowledge of, and was able to quickly subdue and control the area after a few minor skirmishes. The Russians, seeing this as an invasion themselves, quickly ordered a strike into the heart of Persia. The Cossacks quickly dashed off, winning a few skirmishes, the Cossacks were able to move through the Alborz Mountains, ready to strike directly at Tehran.

In Central Asia, the Russian government, hoping to emulate their successes with industrial development, began to sink money into the area, as well as their protectorates, to hope that large amounts of land was put under cultivation for growing cotton. Droughts, storms, and inefficiency plagued the entire operation, with only marginal amounts of cotton being shipped to the west. The majority of Russian cotton continued to be imported from China and the Confederate States of America, and demand for cotton was on the rise, with demand hitting around 150% the demand of 1874.

The eighty-two year old Emperor Dost Mohammad Khan, architect of the Barakzai betrayal to the British, dies peacefully in his sleep, many thought due to the news of the Russians abandoning their support for their cause. His third son, Sher Ali Khan, was installed as Emperor of the Barakzai Empire, and promptly surrendered to the British Empire, not wishing to deal with a long and troublesome war, that would surely only bring death and destruction to his beloved homeland. While he did surrender, British and Persian soldiers marched into the areas of former India, and crossed into the former borders of the Emirate of Afghanistan. Resistance was heavy with some partisan fighters, and effective control was never established in the North. Many felt in London that a rump puppet state could be established with the new Emperor pledging loyalty to the British Crown, so long as the territory gained from British India was returned, and some border adjustments were made.

The British begin the gargantuan effort of restoring order and control to India. Much of the areas were left in ruins by the Russians, who looted for wealth and for survival, leaving the area in a massive famine situation, along with a total loss of economic activity. As the men begin to move back into the area, they were met with a wide swath of death and destruction. While some progress was made at getting farms under plow once again, the entire rebuilding of the devastated areas would take years, but it was a step in the correct direction.

B-0738.jpg

Signs of Indian revival in Delhi and the surrounding areas were captured in this print.

The Second Peking Convention is held, officially ending the British intervention into China against the Russians. One of the most significant measures was the re-affirmation of past treaties, with the exception of the Barakzai Empire, which the British set their own targets on. Hong Kong, Weihai, and Formosa were officially leased over to the United Kingdom for one hundred years, at a price of four hundred thousand pounds a year. Provisions were also established for the British to construct railroads in China, in order to gain the profits from them.

With the Treaty signed, the Chinese quickly deemed the rebels to be un-Chinese and pro-Western. They were previously supported by the foreign powers. Much of their own support began to fade due to the constant attacks by the Chinese, but the fact that Formosa was simply given to the United Kingdom, as well as the fact that the foreign ports were quickly legitimised, allowed the movement to continue to gain some strength. Several skirmishes take place during the year, with no major engagement happening, due to the Chinese Army’s reluctance to act.

This very reluctance, however, was fueled by the fact that an extremely large order was placed in many German factories by the Chinese government for the procurement of weapons. Such an enormous sum was paid that the German economy felt a direct bump as a result of this investment. While the sheer amount of weapons needed to be shipped to China would take nearly two years, the Chinese Army wished to be fully prepared for when that moment came before engaging rebels.

Opium raids quickly become the norm in China, as those caught consuming them are publically executed, and their heads placed on pikes near the entrance to dens. Government officials camped outside the British sellers to be able to capture and murder those who bought from the British merchants. Such a massive crackdown on such a popular activity sparked outrage across China. Those who continued to support the consumption of opium and those who did it, quickly flocked to the armies of the Boxer rebels, hoping for some sort of safety from the Qing officials. Western estimates show that somewhere around half a million people were executed by the Chinese government for opium consumption. British profits began to drop because of this, but Opium consumption began a small decline.

In the Far East, the few survivors of the Siege of Vladivostok were awarded medals for their service. The Cossack forces returned to their homes, and a few new regiments were formed for the defense of the Russian Far East.

The island of Urup, nominally claimed as part of the greater Japanese Empire, was quietly placed under the control of the Russian military, as a regiment of soldiers landed and planted the Russian tri-colour flag and established a small garrison on the island.

British engineers began construction of a wide series of forts, docks, and ports amongst their possessions in Hong Kong, Weihai, Shanghai, and Taiwan. These improvements were expected to be able to house, re-coal, and shelter a massive fleet of warships, signalling that the United Kingdom had a much larger interest in the area than they let on publically.

The Imperial Japanese Navy, after taking a beating from the Germans, quickly sets to work on the construction of a series of ironclad warships in the newly French-built shipyards. Using German engineers, a herculean effort is put into the project, and by August, the first Japanese-built ironclad leaves her berth, ready to fight for the Empire.

New naval reform is set underway, trying to help modernise the Japanese Navy, with the studying of tactics used by the Germans in their destruction of the Japanese Navy during the previous year. Many admirals are pleased with their advancements, and quickly implement the changes.

Men from Germany begin to pour into Korea, as well as a small division from China, in order to ensure that the Japanese would not be allowed a victory over the Koreans, as it was vital to Chinese interests that Korea remained nominally independent.

With the situation on land turning into a stalemate, the Japanese begin to mine the waters between Korea and Japan, causing the destruction of a few German ships, causing them to pull back long enough for the Japanese Navy to stage a few lands in eastern Korea, reinforcing their army with men and supplies.

In Pyongyang, the Japanese are able to repulse the advance by the Chinese forces, forcing their overall surrender to the Japanese. The survivors are quickly put to work in the factory, extracting the resources they need to sustain the army. Some are even forced into the Japanese Army to help fight against the Germans and the Koreans.

The Germans, at the time, quickly began to march North to Pyongyang to attempt to reclaim the seized German factory. With the loss of German support. Seoul was quickly assaulted by two Japanese Armies. The German Army in Haeju was not informed of the current situation in Seoul, as they began to march towards Sariwon. The Koreans, overwhelmed by the Japanese, were forced to surrender the city of Seoul, having no hope of controlling it. The majority of the Korean Army was taken captive, with around sixteen thousand men escaped to the south, forming the remainder of the Korean Army.

Quickly turning and keeping a small screen in Seoul, the Japanese Army moved to try and encircle the Germans, still marching to Pyongyang. News finally reached them of Seoul’s fall, and uncertain on what to do, quickly began to fortify their own positions. General Wilfrid Kues quickly took command of the entire German Army in Korea, and began to build some minor defenses in Hwanghae Province, which they claimed they would never evacuate from.

Ganghwa_3-edit.jpg

German defensive positions in Hwanghae Province.

Russian forces, recently reformed in the Far East, began to show signs of an intervention in Korea against the Japanese. Forming in Vladivostok, all they needed was the go ahead from the Germans to begin their operations to support the Korean government, which had already capitulated to the Japanese, but all the powers seemed adamant in maintaining Korean independence.

Such strict safety measures were put in place on the German island of Jeju, that a large bureaucratic apparatus descended on the island. Tobacco was nearly banned entirely, only allowing it in one small section of the island. Regulations stopped the construction of anything that seemed potentially unsafe, and after a wood beam that was being used to construct a new building fell and killed a Korean man, all construction was immediately halted across the entire island, to make sure everything was perfectly safe.

Confederate ships are seen sailing in the Pacific Ocean, but no contact is ever reached with them again, and many suspect they had capsized and sunk, and some even debated their existence at all in the Pacific Ocean, as it was nearly impossible for the Confederate States to maintain a presence in the pacific.

In Hawaii, the independence of the country was formally dissolved, as the United States incorporated it as a new territory. Noticeably absent at the ceremony was the former British envoy to Hawaii, as a ship of the Royal Navy was patrolling the area around the island and Pearl Harbour.

hawnflag.gif

The Hawaiian Flag being lowered by American military personnel.

American ships are also spotted in the Pacific Ocean. While they had a clear goal of establishing several colonies in the Pacific, many of the ships landed, but never came back to California. American flags were seen wasting away on some islands, bleached by the sun, but the ships were never seen again.

Last edited:

1 United Kingdom 3,720
2 France 1,796
3 United States 1,580
4 Germany 1,343
5 Russia 1,339
6 Italy 1,086
7 Austria 736
8 Spain 702
9 Confederate States 527
10 Ottoman Empire 518
11 Netherlands 511
12 Japan 493
13 China 449
14 Sweden 348
15 Portugal 307
16 Switzerland 285
17 Brazil 251
18 Barakzai 239
19 Denmark 215
20 Canada 203
21 Paraguay 202
22 Romania 185
23 Mexico 172
24 Colombia 166
25 Greece 164
26 Monaco 143
27 Peru 129
28 Central America 127
29 Finland 127
30 Venezuela 124
31 Chile 119
32 Argentina 117
33 Andorra 104
34 Bolivia 96
35 Uruguay 92
36 Haiti 89
37 Serbia 89
38 Montenegro 86
39 Transvaal 82
40 Egypt 47
41 Korea 40
42 Oranje 39
43 Sokoto 39
44 Persia 36
45 West Africa States 32
46 Ethiopia 20
47 Indonesian States 16
48 East Africa States 15
49 Morocco 15
50 Thailand 15
51 Congo States 13
52 Dai Nam 13
53 Burma 9
54 Khiva 9
55 Bukhara 7
56 Nejd 6
57 Oman 6
58 South African States 6
59 Kokand 5
60 Kashgaria 4
61 Xingjiang 4

Population and Economic Growth of Select Countries over the past Ten Years
svzl.png

The Barakzai Empire
Bank: £20,417,570.43
Debt Payments: £0.00
Yearly Balance: £1,380,530.34
Yearly Income: £9,334,827.97
Yearly Expenses: £7,954,297.64
Total Economy (£): 100,898,093
Total Population: 16,303,873
Home Economy (£): 100,898,093
Home Population: 16,303,873
Economic Growth: 2.62%
Population Growth: 0.90%
Education Rate: 16%
Prestige: 53
Public Support: 57%
Infrastructure Level: (1/5) Average
Army Level: (5/5) Poor
Equipment: 54.36%
Regulars: 53,681
Conscripts: 51,147
Reserves: 893,151
Navy Level: (4/5) Poor
Ironclads: 0
Armoured Cruisers: 0
Screw Frigates: 0
Support Ships: 0
Transport Ships: 0
Nation Ruler: Emperor Sher Ali Khan
Game Moderator: RedNomNoms
Played By: NPC

The Argentine Republic
Bank: -£51,918,334.66
Debt Payments: -£1,143,715.61
Yearly Balance: £559,686.23
Yearly Income: £4,210,928.72
Yearly Expenses: £2,507,526.88
Total Economy (£): 25,724,380
Total Population: 2,704,493
Home Economy (£): 25,724,380
Home Population: 2,704,493
Economic Growth: -1.17%
Population Growth: 0.97%
Education Rate: 23%
Prestige: 30
Public Support: 37%
Infrastructure Level: (2/5) Average [+1 in 1 turns]
Army Level: (5/5) Failing
Equipment: 48.76%
Regulars: 21,821
Conscripts: 0
Reserves: 111,543
Navy Level: (4/5) Failing
Support Ships: 4
Transport Ships: 5
Nation Ruler: General Conrado Villegas
Played By: videonfan

The Commonwealth of the Danube
Bank: -£132,292,729.40
Debt Payments: -£2,914,293.39
Yearly Balance: -£4,053,949.28
Yearly Income: £21,552,604.97
Yearly Expenses: £22,692,260.86
Total Economy (£): 319,664,364
Total Population: 35,488,186
Home Economy (£): 306,343,294
Home Population: 32,553,789
Colonial Holdings:
Colonial Troops: 153
Colonial Reserves: 91,547
Name: Danubian West Africa
Economy (£): £809,425.92
Population: 65,412
Name: Danubian East Africa
Economy (£): £ 10,723,276.43
Population: 2,688,616
Name: Danubian Oceania
Economy (£): £ 1,788,367.93
Population: 180,369
Economic Growth: 0.88%
Population Growth: 0.81%
Education Rate: 59% [+2% for 10 turns]
Prestige: 91
Public Support: 68%
Infrastructure Level: (4/5) Average [+2 in 1 turn]
Army Level: (2/5) Good
Equipment: 93.57%
Regulars: 234,914
Reserves: 1,598,982
Ironclads: 1 [+3 in 1 turn]
Screw Frigates: 35
Support Ships: 35
Transport Ships: 2
Nation Ruler: President Alfred Józef Potocki
Game Moderator: Frymonmon
Played By: Watercress

The Republic of Bolivia
Bank: -£8,719,025.06
Debt Payments: -£192,072.51
Yearly Balance: -£543,414.48
Yearly Income: £985,892.50
Yearly Expenses: £1,337,234.47
Total Economy (£): 10,102,344
Total Population: 2,226,999
Home Economy (£): 10,102,344
Home Population: 2,226,999
Economic Growth: -2.31%
Population Growth: 0.65%
Education Rate: 9%
Prestige: 17
Public Support: 47%
Infrastructure Level: (2/5) Poor
Army Level: (3/5) Poor
Equipment: 53.93%
Regulars: 18,000
Reserves: 121,187
Navy Level: (1/5) Poor
Support Ships: 3
Nation Ruler: General Agustín Morales

The Empire of Brazil
Bank: -£86,226,699.26
Debt Payments: -£1,899,498.94
Yearly Balance: -£1,514,443.45
Yearly Income: £7,230,012.89
Yearly Expenses: £6,844,957.40
Total Economy (£): 58,655,759
Total Population: 12,557,794
Home Economy (£): 58,655,759
Home Population: 12,557,794
Economic Growth: 1.64%
Population Growth: 2.00%
Education Rate: 22% [+10% in 1 turn]
Prestige: 28
Public Support: 43%
Infrastructure Level: (5/5) Average
Equipment: 53.50%
Regulars: 25,000
Reserves: 693,035
Navy Level: (5/5) Poor
Screw Frigates: 15
Support Ships: 11
Transport Ships: 6
Nation Ruler: Emperor Pedro*II
Played By: Duke of Britain

The Emirate of Bukhara
Bank: -£7,039,060.82
Debt Payments: -£155,064.37
Yearly Balance: -£854,456.04
Yearly Income: £370,431.10
Yearly Expenses: £1,069,822.76
Total Economy (£): 5,810,684
Total Population: 2,280,889
Home Economy (£): 5,810,684
Home Population: 2,280,889
Economic Growth: -0.819092375450629%
Population Growth: 0.68%
Education Rate: 2%
Prestige: 4
Public Support: 27%
Infrastructure Level: (1/5) Failing
Army Level: (2/5) Failing
Equipment: 23.0244969403896%
Regulars: 17,000
Reserves: 125,556
Navy Level: (1/5) Failing
Nation Ruler: Amir Muzaffar al-Din bin Nasr-Allah

The Konbaung Dynasty
Bank: -£33,304,068.61
Debt Payments: -£733,659.57
Yearly Balance: -£1,520,459.47
Yearly Income: £785,708.77
Yearly Expenses: £1,572,508.67
Total Economy (£): 11,904,678
Total Population: 3,224,030
Home Economy (£): 11,904,678
Home Population: 3,224,030
Economic Growth: 0.510815240735256%
Population Growth: 0.93%
Education Rate: 6%
Public Support: 47%
Infrastructure Level: (2/5) Failing
Equipment: 35.0526277543961%
Regulars: 15,000
Reserves: 186,502
Nation Ruler: King Mindon Min

The Dominion of Canada
Bank: -£1,619,618.48
Debt Payments: -£35,678.78
Yearly Balance: -£1,764,795.45
Yearly Income: £5,051,565.34
Yearly Expenses: £6,780,682.01
Total Economy (£): 71,805,010
Total Population: 5,107,659
Home Economy (£): 71,805,010
Home Population: 5,107,659
Economic Growth: 0.834928778155176%
Population Growth: 1.52%
Education Rate: 55%
Prestige: -11
Public Support: 89%
Infrastructure Level: (2/5) Average
Army Level: (1/5) Average
Equipment: 47.1069526298782%
Regulars: 28,177
Conscripts: 41,781
Reserves: 247,396
Ironclads: 2
Screw Frigates: 4
Support Ships: 2
Nation Ruler: Governor General John A. Macdonald
Played By: Ab Ovo

The Republic of Chile
Bank: -£859,026.44
Debt Payments: -£16,860.19
Yearly Balance: £233,583.06
Yearly Income: £1,220,463.33
Yearly Expenses: £970,020.09
Total Economy (£): 12,086,712
Total Population: 1,570,215
Home Economy (£): 12,086,712
Home Population: 1,570,215
Economic Growth: 0.1484892921%
Population Growth: -0.02%
Education Rate: 48%
Prestige: 16
Public Support: 62%
Infrastructure Level: (5/5) Poor
Army Level: (4/5) Poor
Equipment: 53%
Regulars: 13,000
Reserves: 81,852
Nation Ruler: President Federico Errázuriz Zañartu
Played By: Somberg

The Great Qing
Bank: -£220,311,325.76
Debt Payments: -£4,853,266.26
Yearly Balance: -£19,193,392.54
Yearly Income: £112,996,903.06
Yearly Expenses: £127,737,029.34
Total Economy (£): 1,525,379,240
Total Population: 355,423,249
Home Economy (£): 1,525,379,240
Home Population: 355,423,249
Economic Growth: 1.14%
Population Growth: 0.66%
Education Rate: 23%
Prestige: 5
Public Support: 24%
Army Level: (3/5) Failing [+2 in 1 turn]
Equipment: 14.91% [+41% in 1 turn]
Regulars: 197,007
Conscripts: 548,219
Reserves: 21,299,734
Support Ships: 5
Nation Ruler: The Tongzhi Emperor
Played By: KeldoniaSkylar

The North Andean Confederation
Bank: -£11,382,841.62
Debt Payments: -£250,754.07
Yearly Balance: £1,658,689.90
Yearly Income: £4,407,527.25
Yearly Expenses: £2,498,083.28
Total Economy (£): 38,255,603
Total Population: 3,723,711
Home Economy (£): 38,255,603
Home Population: 3,723,711
Economic Growth: 0.42%
Population Growth: 1.39%
Education Rate: 24%
Prestige: 50
Public Support: 97%
Equipment: 22.51%
Regulars: 18,000
Reserves: 213,732
Navy Level: (5/5) Failing
Nation Ruler: President Manuel Murillo Toro
Played By: Spitfire

The Confederate States of America
Bank: -£178,658,539.27
Debt Payments: -£3,935,691.72
Yearly Balance: £3,496,543.57
Yearly Income: £26,739,446.13
Yearly Expenses: £19,307,210.83
Total Economy (£): 242,908,995
Total Population: 14,459,479
Home Economy (£): 242,908,995
Home Population: 14,459,479
Economic Growth: 3.30%
Population Growth: 2.16%
Education Rate: 52% [+3% for 1 turn]
Prestige: 19
Public Support: 52%
Infrastructure Level: (2/5) Average
Equipment: 54.35%
Regulars: 80,000
Reserves: 640,542
Navy Level: (3/5) Average [+1 in 1 turn]
Ironclads: 5
Screw Frigates: 20
Support Ships: 10
Nation Ruler: President James Longsteet
Played By: Boris ze Spider

The States of the Congo
Bank: -£18,653,201.35
Debt Payments: -£410,913.75
Yearly Balance: £771,283.93
Yearly Income: £2,245,019.73
Yearly Expenses: £1,062,822.05
Total Economy (£): 24,287,917
Total Population: 12,605,593
Home Economy (£): 24,287,917
Home Population: 12,605,593
Economic Growth: 0.93%
Population Growth: 1.30%
Education Rate: 3%
Public Support: 44%
Equipment: 15.55%
Regulars: 55,000
Reserves: 732,850
Support Ships: 1
Nation Ruler: Various Leaders

The Nguyen Dynasty
Bank: -£4,672,553.10
Debt Payments: -£102,932.27
Yearly Balance: -£211,674.39
Yearly Income: £1,313,461.33
Yearly Expenses: £1,422,203.45
Total Economy (£): 19,587,659
Total Population: 5,364,828
Home Economy (£): 19,587,659
Home Population: 5,364,828
Economic Growth: 2.30%
Population Growth: 1.00%
Education Rate: 5%
Public Support: 68%
Equipment: 45.32%
Regulars: 100
Reserves: 335,202
Navy Level: (2/5) Failing
Transport Ships: 1
Nation Ruler: Emperor Tu Duc

The Kingdom of Denmark
Bank: £9,437,110.92
Yearly Balance: £2,188,935.51
Yearly Income: £5,122,322.37
Yearly Expenses: £2,933,386.87
Total Economy (£): 50,721,323
Total Population: 2,340,378
Home Economy (£): 50,721,323
Home Population: 2,340,378
Economic Growth: -0.54%
Population Growth: 0.90%
Education Rate: 85%
Prestige: 29
Public Support: 64%
Infrastructure Level: (3/5) Poor
Equipment: 47.41%
Regulars: 27,981
Reserves: 118,293
Transport Ships: 3
Nation Ruler: King William I
Played By: Sneakyflaps

The Khedivate of Egypt
Bank: -£8,450,440.02
Debt Payments: -£186,155.82
Yearly Balance: £453,107.69
Yearly Income: £6,111,474.85
Yearly Expenses: £5,472,211.34
Total Economy (£): 31,962,946
Total Population: 9,808,994
Home Economy (£): 31,962,946
Home Population: 9,808,994
Economic Growth: 2.21%
Population Growth: 1.81%
Prestige: 33
Public Support: 81%
Equipment: 14.10%
Regulars: 71,755
Reserves: 524,317
Navy Level: (5/5) Failing
Screw Frigates: 5
Nation Ruler: Khedive Ismali Pasha
Played By: tyriet

The Ethiopian Empire
Bank: £1,141,467.55
Yearly Balance: £834,455.84
Yearly Income: £2,019,475.89
Yearly Expenses: £1,185,020.04
Total Economy (£): 19,346,866
Total Population: 4,835,070
Home Economy (£): 19,346,866
Home Population: 4,835,070
Economic Growth: 1.05%
Population Growth: 1.21%
Education Rate: 10%
Prestige: 6
Public Support: 67%
Army Level: (1/5) Poor
Equipment: 17.01%
Regulars: 50,000
Reserves: 252,192
Nation Ruler: Emperor Yohannes IV
Played By: MastahCheef117

The Republic of Finland
Bank: £4,429,615.96
Yearly Balance: £1,352,736.31
Yearly Income: £1,873,393.76
Yearly Expenses: £520,657.46
Total Economy (£): 16,776,284
Total Population: 1,847,760
Home Economy (£): 16,776,284
Home Population: 1,847,760
Economic Growth: 1.01%
Population Growth: 1.92%
Education Rate: 33%
Prestige: 12
Public Support: 60%
Equipment: 43.20%
Regulars: 6,000
Reserves: 109,485
Nation Ruler: President Ilmari Arajärvi
Played By: Pirate

The French Empire
Bank: -£526,169,042.10
Debt Payments: -£11,591,044.86
Yearly Balance: £11,089,626.76
Yearly Income: £99,191,315.31
Yearly Expenses: £76,510,643.68
Total Economy (£): 931,410,009
Total Population: 53,871,502
Home Economy (£): 798,215,964
Home Population: 43,460,367
Economic Growth: 1.30%
Population Growth: 2.39%
Colonial Holdings
Colonial Troops: 27,982
Colonial Reserves: 297,366
Name: French Cochinchina
Economy (£): 55,849,716
Population: 3,812,750
Name: French North Africa
Economy (£): 57,735,707
Population: 3,098,709
Name: French Africa
Economy (£): 15,368,632
Population: 3,136,943
Name: French Caribbean
Economy (£): 4,239,989
Population: 362,734
Education Rate: 95%
Prestige: 245
Public Support: 87%
Infrastructure Level: (4/5) Excellent
Army Level: (5/5) Good
Equipment: 96.08%
Regulars: 385,401
Reserves: 2,285,138
Navy Level: (3/5) Good
Ironclads: 24
Submarines: 2
Screw Frigates: 60
Transport Ships: 70
Nation Ruler: Emperor Napoleon III
Played By: jacob-Lundgren

The German Empire
Bank: -£389,101,489.49
Debt Payments: -£8,571,566.28
Yearly Balance: £17,221,623.45
Yearly Income: £75,790,216.82
Yearly Expenses: £49,997,027.09
Total Economy (£): 756,876,449
Total Population: 40,270,370
Home Economy (£): 754,115,612
Home Population: 39,899,256
Economic Growth: 2.78%
Population Growth: 2.21%
Colonial Holdings
Colonial Troops: 1,248
Colonial Reserves: 10,349
Name: German Jeju
Economy (£): £ 2,760,837.56
Population: 371,114
Education Rate: 80%
Prestige: 269
Public Support: 81%
Infrastructure Level: (1/5) Excellent
Army Level: (1/5) Excellent
Equipment: 98.39%
Regulars: 423,841
Reserves: 2,588,373
Navy Level: (5/5) Average [+1 in 1 turn]
Ironclads: 1 [+11 in 1 turn]
Transport Ships: 60
Nation Ruler: Kaiser Wilhelm I
Played By: etranger01

The Kingdom of Greece
Bank: -£20,108,227.22
Debt Payments: -£209,051.10
Yearly Balance: £1,435,682.26
Yearly Income: £4,274,769.24
Yearly Expenses: £2,630,035.88
Total Economy (£): 31,786,056
Total Population: 2,694,500
Home Economy (£): 31,786,056
Home Population: 2,694,500
Economic Growth: 0.47%
Population Growth: 1.87%
Education Rate: 48%
Prestige: 35
Public Support: 85%
Army Level: (4/5) Poor
Equipment: 40.58%
Regulars: 43,392
Reserves: 123,406
Navy Level: (2/5) Poor
Nation Ruler: King Otto
Played By: XVG

The Republic of Haiti
Bank: -£1,777,520.88
Debt Payments: -£39,157.23
Yearly Balance: -£213,159.27
Yearly Income: £174,161.05
Yearly Expenses: £348,163.09
Total Economy (£): 1,841,251
Total Population: 701,848
Home Economy (£): 1,841,251
Home Population: 701,848
Economic Growth: 2.72%
Population Growth: 1.76%
Education Rate: 25%
Public Support: 55%
Infrastructure Level: (1/5) Poor
Army Level: (2/5) Poor
Equipment: 28.35%
Regulars: 3,000
Reserves: 40,866
Nation Ruler: President Michel Domingue

The Kingdom of Italy
Bank: -£226,472,328.01
Debt Payments: -£4,988,987.77
Yearly Balance: £216,944.48
Yearly Income: £47,216,859.76
Yearly Expenses: £42,010,927.52
Total Economy (£): 463,209,904
Total Population: 31,760,447
Home Economy (£): 438,261,403
Home Population: 26,428,236
Economic Growth: 0.54%
Population Growth: 1.90%
Colonial Holdings
Colonial Troops: 24,817
Colonial Reserves: 141,815
Name: Italian Arabia
Economy (£): 368,101
Population: 9,913
Name: Italian East Africa
Economy (£): £19,079,418.64
Population: 4,721,000
Name: Italian Tripolitania
Economy (£): £ 5,500,981.21
Population: 601,298
Education Rate: 58%
Prestige: 118
Public Support: 51%
Infrastructure Level: (2/5) Good
Equipment: 72.42%
Regulars: 225,064
Reserves: 1,382,047
Navy Level: (1/5) Average
Ironclads: 4
Screw Frigates: 81
Support Ships: 25
Transport Ships: 67
Nation Ruler: King Vittorio Emanuele II
Played By: Dadarian

The Empire of Japan
Bank: -£92,600,074.86
Debt Payments: -£230,951.68
Yearly Balance: £729,527.25
Yearly Income: £24,919,517.55
Yearly Expenses: £23,959,038.62
Total Economy (£): 245,076,048
Total Population: 35,193,137
Home Economy (£): 245,076,048
Home Population: 35,193,137
Economic Growth: 3.16%
Population Growth: 0.48%
Education Rate: 40%
Prestige: 57
Equipment: 32.85%
Regulars: 294,172
Reserves: 1,872,874
Navy Level: (3/5) Average
Ironclads: 1 [+1 every turn for 4 turns.]
Screw Frigates: 4
Support Ships: 4
Transport Ships: 50
Nation Ruler: Emperor Meiji
Played By: alexander23

The Emirate of Kashgaria
Bank: -£60,951.56
Debt Payments: -£1,342.71
Yearly Balance: -£7,418.33
Yearly Income: £100,379.59
Yearly Expenses: £106,455.22
Total Economy (£): 1,341,362
Total Population: 620,911
Home Economy (£): 1,341,362
Home Population: 620,911
Economic Growth: -0.14%
Population Growth: 0.18%
Education Rate: 4%
Prestige: 3
Public Support: 78%
Army Level: (1/5) Failing
Equipment: 17.00%
Regulars: 500
Reserves: 38,307
Nation Ruler: Emir Yaqub Beg

The Khanate of Khiva
Bank: -£1,321,971.19
Debt Payments: -£29,121.87
Yearly Balance: -£490,989.94
Yearly Income: £87,517.59
Yearly Expenses: £549,385.66
Total Economy (£): 1,207,184
Total Population: 1,079,911
Home Economy (£): 1,207,184
Home Population: 1,079,911
Economic Growth: 1.63%
Population Growth: 0.29%
Education Rate: 11%
Public Support: 28%
Army Level: (3/5) Failing
Equipment: 33.38%
Regulars: 24,000
Reserves: 43,494
Nation Ruler: Khan Muhammad Rahim Bahadur

The Khanate of Kokand
Bank: -£2,548,982.86
Debt Payments: -£56,151.87
Yearly Balance: £38,269.85
Yearly Income: £308,706.00
Yearly Expenses: £270,436.15
Total Economy (£): 3,912,213
Total Population: 1,356,652
Home Economy (£): 3,912,213
Home Population: 1,356,652
Economic Growth: -0.19%
Population Growth: 1.70%
Education Rate: 4%
Public Support: 82%
Infrastructure Level: (3/5) Failing
Equipment: 11.30%
Regulars: 600
Reserves: 84,191
Nation Ruler: Khan Muhammad Khudayar Khan

The United Mexican States
Bank: -£38,486,627.12
Debt Payments: -£847,826.81
Yearly Balance: £524,351.07
Yearly Income: £8,048,115.55
Yearly Expenses: £6,675,937.67
Total Economy (£): 57,609,873
Total Population: 13,039,157
Home Economy (£): 57,609,873
Home Population: 13,039,157
Economic Growth: 2.50%
Population Growth: 2.34%
Education Rate: 17%
Prestige: 31
Public Support: 86%
Infrastructure Level: (1/5) Good
Equipment: 61.12%
Regulars: 21,000
Reserves: 793,947
Nation Ruler: President Sebastián Lerdo de Tejada
Played By: Mathrim

The Sultanate of Morocco
Bank: -£2,067,502.67
Debt Payments: -£45,545.28
Yearly Balance: -£371,145.51
Yearly Income: £723,451.58
Yearly Expenses: £1,049,051.81
Total Economy (£): 8,539,200
Total Population: 2,044,795
Home Economy (£): 8,539,200
Home Population: 2,044,795
Economic Growth: 0.10%
Population Growth: 1.92%
Education Rate: 8%
Public Support: 69%
Infrastructure Level: (4/5) Failing
Equipment: 36.41%
Regulars: 6,500
Reserves: 121,300
Nation Ruler: Sultan Mohammed IV

The Emirate of Nejd
Bank: -£1,651,982.41
Debt Payments: -£36,391.73
Yearly Balance: -£201,280.16
Yearly Income: £74,450.30
Yearly Expenses: £239,338.73
Total Economy (£): 1,115,360
Total Population: 518,376
Home Economy (£): 1,115,360
Home Population: 518,376
Economic Growth: -0.79%
Population Growth: 1.30%
Education Rate: 5%
Public Support: 54%
Equipment: 43.56%
Regulars: 2,000
Reserves: 30,399
Nation Ruler: Imam Abdallah ibn Faisal ibn Turki

The Kingdom of the Netherlands
Bank: -£33,555,134.60
Debt Payments: -£739,190.34
Yearly Balance: £66,405.32
Yearly Income: £17,914,766.84
Yearly Expenses: £17,109,171.19
Total Economy (£): 237,679,858
Total Population: 25,152,817
Home Economy (£): 103,778,156
Home Population: 7,437,368
Economic Growth: 0.09%
Population Growth: 1.05%
Colonial Holdings
Colonial Troops: 15,391
Colonial Reserves: 538,217
Name: Dutch East Indies
Economy (£): 128,675,104
Population: 17,534,044
Name: Dutch Caribbean
Economy (£): 5,226,599
Population: 67,969
Education Rate: 91%
Prestige: 50
Public Support: 58%
Infrastructure Level: (4/5) Average
Equipment: 49.70%
Regulars: 29,629
Reserves: 419,835
Navy Level: (2/5) Average
Ironclads: 3 [+8 in 1 turn]
Support Ships: 3 [+22 in 1 turn]
Nation Ruler: King William III
Played By: Shynka

The Sultante of Oman
Bank: -£543,972.84
Debt Payments: -£11,983.25
Yearly Balance: -£64,781.63
Yearly Income: £49,029.63
Yearly Expenses: £101,828.01
Total Economy (£): 531,416
Total Population: 213,306
Home Economy (£): 531,416
Home Population: 213,306
Economic Growth: -0.73%
Population Growth: 0.89%
Public Support: 48%
Infrastructure Level: (3/5) Failing
Equipment: 46.69%
Regulars: 1,000
Reserves: 12,332
Nation Ruler: Sultan Thuwaini bin Said

The Orange Free State
Bank: -£389,461.36
Debt Payments: -£8,579.49
Yearly Balance: -£7,618.86
Yearly Income: £263,592.53
Yearly Expenses: £262,631.90
Total Economy (£): 3,334,740
Total Population: 525,869
Home Economy (£): 3,334,740
Home Population: 525,869
Economic Growth: -0.94%
Population Growth: 1.29%
Education Rate: 2%
Public Support: 78%
Equipment: 30.16%
Reserves: 31,867
Navy Level: (3/5) Failing
Nation Ruler: State President J.*H. Brand

The Ottoman Empire
Bank: -£231,185,867.75
Debt Payments: -£4,537,504.76
Yearly Balance: -£7,175,881.34
Yearly Income: £22,980,924.96
Yearly Expenses: £25,619,301.54
Total Economy (£): 250,956,829
Total Population: 26,503,993
Home Economy (£): 250,956,829
Home Population: 26,503,993
Population Growth: 1.36%
Economic Growth: -0.15%
Education Rate: 44%
Prestige: 45
Public Support: 23%
Infrastructure Level: (3/5) Average
Equipment: 52.06%
Regulars: 74,283
Conscripts: 65,000
Reserves: 1,462,555
Ironclads: 10
Nation Ruler: Sultan Abdülmecid I
Played By: Spectre17

The Kingdom of Paraguay
Bank: £4,496,832.83
Yearly Balance: -£496,987.13
Yearly Income: £697,793.17
Yearly Expenses: £1,194,780.30
Total Economy (£): 7,426,943
Total Population: 959,164
Home Economy (£): 7,426,943
Home Population: 959,164
Economic Growth: -1.34%
Population Growth: 1.10%
Education Rate: 34%
Prestige: 30
Public Support: 100%
Army Level: (3/5) Average
Equipment: 63.16%
Regulars: 8,804
Reserves: -10,381
Support Ships: 25
Nation Ruler: King Maximillian I
Played By: Maxwell500

The Sublime State of Persia
Bank: -£76,492,064.01
Debt Payments: -£1,685,053.42
Yearly Balance: -£1,006,249.00
Yearly Income: £4,584,537.04
Yearly Expenses: £3,905,732.61
Total Economy (£): 50,552,311
Total Population: 7,146,974
Home Economy (£): 50,552,311
Home Population: 7,146,974
Population Growth: 1.14%
Economic Growth: 1.98%
Education Rate: 17%
Prestige: 7
Equipment: 43.53%
Regulars: 23,920
Reserves: 392,686
Nation Ruler: Shahanshah Naser al-Din Shah Qajar
Played By: Revan

The Republic of Peru
Bank: -£5,818,011.03
Debt Payments: -£128,165.71
Yearly Balance: -£105,598.80
Yearly Income: £2,007,145.09
Yearly Expenses: £1,984,578.19
Total Economy (£): 25,019,878
Total Population: 3,083,165
Home Economy (£): 25,019,878
Home Population: 3,083,165
Population Growth: 1.21%
Economic Growth: 0.30%
Education Rate: 28%
Prestige: 18
Public Support: 57%
Infrastructure Level: (3/5) Poor
Equipment: 56.54%
Regulars: 8,000
Reserves: 184,698
Nation Ruler: President Manuel Pardo
Played By: Ekon

The Kingdom of Portugal
Bank: -£47,995,077.85
Debt Payments: -£1,057,289.68
Yearly Balance: -£2,165,923.79
Yearly Income: £7,572,527.09
Yearly Expenses: £8,681,161.19
Total Economy (£): 52,893,899
Total Population: 5,465,157
Home Economy (£): 30,242,045
Home Population: 2,371,317
Economic Growth: 0.07%
Population Growth: 1.07%
Colonial Troops: 2,347
Colonial Reserves: 94,336
Name: Portugese Angola
Economy (£): 7,311,057
Population: 1,145,458
Name: Portugese Mozambique
Economy (£): 10,677,801
Population: 1,541,928
Name: Portuguese India
Economy (£): 2,755,466
Population: 285,548
Name: Portugese Africa
Economy (£): 1,907,529
Population: 120,906
Education Rate: 30%
Prestige: 46
Public Support: 79%
Army Level: (4/5) Failing
Equipment: 57.30%
Regulars: 16,973
Reserves: 128,585
Ironclads: 0 [+5 in 1 turn]
Screw Frigates: 40
Transport Ships: 10
Nation Ruler: King Luís I
Played By: ArchadianEmpire

The Kingdom of Romania
Bank: -£67,345,212.64
Debt Payments: -£1,483,556.27
Yearly Balance: -£1,081,357.05
Yearly Income: £5,594,611.33
Yearly Expenses: £5,192,412.11
Total Economy (£): 66,430,073
Total Population: 4,999,650
Home Economy (£): 66,430,073
Home Population: 4,999,650
Economic Growth: 0.97%
Population Growth: 1.47%
Education Rate: 21% [+6% in 1 turn]
Prestige: 36
Public Support: 97%
Equipment: 66.48%
Regulars: 84,634
Reserves: 226,478
Nation Ruler: King Carol I
Played By: Noco19

The Republic of Russia
Bank: -£510,965,909.64
Debt Payments: -£11,256,133.12
Yearly Balance: -£2,979,354.30
Yearly Income: £69,141,959.17
Yearly Expenses: £60,865,180.34
Total Economy (£): 840,454,612
Total Population: 79,339,514
Home Economy (£): 840,454,612
Home Population: 79,339,514
Economic Growth: 13.74%
Population Growth: 3.20%
Education Rate: 22% [+1% every turn]
Prestige: 209
Public Support: 86%
Army Level: (1/5) Good
Equipment: 81.25%
Regulars: 889,401
Conscripts: 17,189
Reserves: 3,945,577 [Reforms in 2 turns]
Navy Level: (3/5) Average
Armoured Cruisers: 1
Support Ships: 50
Transport Ships: 10
Nation Ruler: General-Procurator Konstantin Palen
Played By: stormbringer

The Principality of Serbia
Bank: -£4,202,249.91
Debt Payments: -£92,571.90
Yearly Balance: -£47,099.76
Yearly Income: £1,048,560.06
Yearly Expenses: £1,003,087.93
Total Economy (£): 10,018,216
Total Population: 1,140,393
Home Economy (£): 10,018,216
Home Population: 1,140,393
Economic Growth: -1.48%
Population Growth: 1.08%
Public Support: 46%
Infrastructure Level: (5/5) Failing
Equipment: 40.284425074235%
Regulars: 36,000
Reserves: 35,275
Navy Level: (3/5) Failing
Nation Ruler: Prince Mihailo Obrenović

The Sokoto Caliphate
Bank: -£3,843,395.00
Debt Payments: -£84,666.64
Yearly Balance: £3,001,747.89
Yearly Income: £12,263,832.17
Yearly Expenses: £9,177,417.64
Total Economy (£): 51,168,887
Total Population: 34,870,965
Home Economy (£): 51,168,887
Home Population: 34,870,965
Economic Growth: -0.79%
Population Growth: 1.37%
Education Rate: 22%
Prestige: 15
Public Support: 31%
Equipment: 72.26%
Regulars: 80,742
Reserves: 2,054,435
Nation Ruler: Sultan Ahmadu Rufai
Played By: Thandros

The Kingdom of Spain
Bank: -£138,567,931.53
Debt Payments: -£3,052,530.62
Yearly Balance: -£5,988,421.65
Yearly Income: £23,568,854.40
Yearly Expenses: £26,504,745.43
Total Economy (£): 224,638,423
Total Population: 18,626,984
Home Economy (£): 172,708,766
Home Population: 13,786,654
Economic Growth: -0.46%
Population Growth: 1.98%
Colonial Holdings
Colonial Troops: 29,718
Colonial Reserves: 121,542
Name: Spanish Caribbean
Economy (£): 1,394,230
Population: 198,886
Name: Spanish Philippines
Economy (£): 48,585,433
Population: 4,372,627
Name: Spanish Africa
Economy (£): 1,949,995
Population: 268,818
Education Rate: 89% [+6% in 1 turn]
Prestige: 74
Public Support: 76%
Infrastructure Level: (1/5) Good
Equipment: 63.39%
Regulars: 98,128
Reserves: 760,459
Ironclads: 9
Screw Frigates: 56
Support Ships: 16
Transport Ships: 13
Nation Ruler: Queen Isabella II
Played By: KingHigh99

The Kingdom of Sweden-Norway
Bank: -£73,479,606.30
Debt Payments: -£1,618,691.61
Yearly Balance: -£524,639.53
Yearly Income: £9,638,974.51
Yearly Expenses: £8,544,922.44
Total Economy (£): 60,771,222
Total Population: 5,736,353
Home Economy (£): 60,222,507
Home Population: 5,706,757
Economic Growth: 1.55%
Population Growth: 0.70%
Colonial Holdings
Colonial Troops: 0
Colonial Reserves: 925
Name: Swedish Southwest Africa
Economy (£): £ 548,715.00
Population: 29,596
Education Rate: 100%
Prestige: 47
Public Support: 51%
Army Level: (2/5) Average
Equipment: 73.50%
Regulars: 39,475
Reserves: 255,046
Navy Level: (5/5) Average
Ironclads: 2
Screw Frigates: 22
Nation Ruler: King Karl XV
Played By: Haresus

The Swiss Confederation
Bank: -£1,789,763.88
Debt Payments: -£39,426.94
Yearly Balance: £496,389.51
Yearly Income: £3,311,220.73
Yearly Expenses: £2,775,404.28
Total Economy (£): 56,217,964
Total Population: 2,803,026
Home Economy (£): 56,217,964
Home Population: 2,803,026
Economic Growth: -0.18%
Population Growth: 0.50%
Education Rate: 90%
Prestige: 97
Public Support: 85%
Infrastructure Level: (3/5) Average
Army Level: (2/5) Average
Equipment: 52.06%
Regulars: 24,470
Reserves: 150,719
Nation Ruler: Executive Council
Played By: Frymonmon

The Rattanakosin Kingdom
Bank: -£8,064,896.81
Debt Payments: -£177,662.64
Yearly Balance: -£717,745.46
Yearly Income: £1,291,540.87
Yearly Expenses: £1,831,623.69
Total Economy (£): 15,239,420
Total Population: 6,161,568
Home Economy (£): 15,239,420
Home Population: 6,161,568
Economic Growth: -1.55%
Population Growth: 1.35%
Public Support: 66%
Infrastructure Level: (1/5) Poor
Equipment: 17.35%
Regulars: 32,000
Reserves: 353,098
Nation Ruler: King Rama V

The South African Republic
Bank: -£4,723,784.32
Debt Payments: -£104,060.85
Yearly Balance: £207,403.04
Yearly Income: £753,897.81
Yearly Expenses: £442,433.92
Total Economy (£): 5,935,499
Total Population: 597,041
Home Economy (£): 5,935,499
Home Population: 597,041
Economic Growth: 4.84%
Population Growth: 0.35%
Prestige: 26
Army Level: (2/5) Poor
Equipment: 23.24%
Regulars: 7,269
Reserves: 28,644
Nation Ruler: President Marthinus Wessel Pretorius
Played By: Seek75

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland
Bank: -£1,264,636,570.63 [-£4,782,871 a turn for 4 turns]
Debt Payments: -£24,821,129.94
Yearly Balance: -£28,066,689.89
Yearly Income: £187,516,036.29
Yearly Expenses: £190,361,596.23
Total Economy (£): 2,582,598,006
Total Population: 227,708,155
Home Economy (£): 1,053,317,395
Home Population: 30,274,129
Economic Growth: 0.11%
Population Growth: 1.19%
Colonial Holdings
Colonial Troops: 693,353
Colonial Reserves: 5,476,460
Name: British India
Economy (£): 1,323,741,038
Population: 184,558,488
Name: British Africa
Economy (£): 20,201,289
Population: 5,344,472
Name: British Oceania
Economy (£): 70,709,021
Population: 1,945,810
Name: British Caribbean
Economy (£): 15,151,933
Population: 1,459,278
Name: British China
Economy (£): 99,477,330
Population: 4,125,978
Name: British Arabia
Economy (£): £ 505,064.44
Population: 175,088
Education Rate: 85% [+15% in 3 turns]
Prestige: 278
Infrastructure Level: (4/5) Good [+3 in 1 turn. +3 in 2 turns. +3 in 3 turns. +2 in 4 turns.]
Army Level: (4/5) Average
Equipment: 117.26%
Regulars: 227,829
Reserves: 1,363,892
Navy Level: (4/5) Good
Ironclads: 40 [+4 every turn for 10 turns]
Armoured Cruisers: 0 [+2 every turn for 10 turns]
Screw Frigates: 20 [+10 every turn for 10 turns]
Support Ships: 50 [+13 every turn for 10 turns]
Transport Ships: 250
Nation Ruler: Queen Victoria
Played By: RedNomNoms

The United States of America
Bank: -£538,806,394.57
Debt Payments: -£10,575,199.11
Yearly Balance: £23,080,973.98
Yearly Income: £79,636,492.16
Yearly Expenses: £45,980,319.07
Total Economy (£): 613,216,913
Total Population: 32,719,467
Home Economy (£): 613,216,913
Home Population: 32,719,467
Economic Growth: 6.57%
Population Growth: 2.48%
Colonial Holdings
Colonial Troops: 1,937
Colonial Reserves: 12,921
Name: American Caribbean
Economy (£): £4,907,643.69
Population: 427,171
Name: American Pacific Islands
Economy (£): £ 568,867.98
Population: 48,291
Education Rate: 70%
Prestige: 302
Public Support: 72%
Infrastructure Level: (3/5) Good [Canal Progress 19%]
Equipment: 59.00%
Regulars: 92,827
Reserves: 1,189,598
Ironclads: 15 [+5 in 1 turn]
Screw Frigates: 93
Support Ships: 45
Transport Ships: 38
Nation Ruler: President Horatio Seymour
Played By: Afaslizo

The Oriental Republic of Uruguay
Bank: £63,227.21
Yearly Balance: £6,638.25
Yearly Income: £177,899.05
Yearly Expenses: £171,260.79
Total Economy (£): 1,913,914
Total Population: 379,440
Home Economy (£): 1,913,914
Home Population: 379,440
Economic Growth: -4.64%
Population Growth: 1.32%
Prestige: 18
Public Support: 32%
Infrastructure Level: (4/5) Failing
Equipment: 38.46%
Reserves: 22,715
Nation Ruler: President José Eugenio Ellauri

The Republic of Venezuela
Bank: -£2,531,897.08
Debt Payments: -£55,775.48
Yearly Balance: -£214,865.50
Yearly Income: £986,931.82
Yearly Expenses: £1,146,021.84
Total Economy (£): 7,868,692
Total Population: 2,178,678
Home Economy (£): 7,868,692
Home Population: 2,178,678
Economic Growth: -2.07%
Population Growth: 2.12%
Education Rate: 29%
Public Support: 95%
Infrastructure Level: (5/5) Failing
Equipment: 42.23%
Regulars: 24,000
Reserves: 112,167
Support Ships: 6
Transport Ships: 6
Nation Ruler: President Antonio Guzmán Blanco

The Xinjiang Khanate
Bank: -£291,624.59
Debt Payments: -£6,424.24
Yearly Balance: -£106,622.68
Yearly Income: £201,101.97
Yearly Expenses: £301,300.42
Total Economy (£): 1,522,834
Total Population: 744,541
Home Economy (£): 1,522,834
Home Population: 744,541
Economic Growth: 0.06%
Population Growth: 0.95%
Public Support: 82%
Equipment: 10.47%
Regulars: 750
Reserves: 45,784
Nation Ruler: Khan Wajdi Azzi

Last edited:
200px-Flag_of_Romania.svg.png

It is with joy that I announce the conclusion of the Treaty of Silistra, and the recent unification with more Romanian Kin. God, in his infinite wisdom, saved our brothers and sisters from the violent purging occurring in the Ottoman lands, and for that, we pray. I fear my predictions for a stable Balkans may be delayed for years to come, given the recent stirrings of rebellion.

Nevertheless, we Romanians will stay our course of domestic growth and production, for with our international prestige solidified, we must now better the economic credibility of all Romanian goods and services. Soon, my people, marketeers everywhere, be they French, German, British, or Russian, will know that Romanian-made is synonymous with quality-made!

- Alexandru Ioan I, King of the Romanians

The Andean Confederation
e5p4.png

I stand before you today with a heavy heart. My previous speech was not clear, misunderstands arose from it and now the entire Confederation is under jeopardy. For that, I completely take the blame and it gives me great sorrow in my heart. The goal of this Confederation was to bring back together the three brothers of Bolivar, to reap prosperity across our lands and provide a better future for our children than what we have now. That has always been its goal. Unfortunately that message has been buried under other things and not made clear. In this, my last message to you before you and your country votes on the biggest decision in its history, one which will shape this continents path and the future of your children, I wish to make this goal be known, while clarifying last year’s misunderstandings.

First let me clarify last year’s speech. When I said, lets puts aside all political differences, I meant lets stand together, shoulder to shoulder and work together for the greater good of our nations and children. We do not want you to become Colombians; we want you to stay Ecuadorians. You are our brother, not our twin, and we love you the way you are. I also want to clear up another misunderstanding. It appears that some believe that in this confederation, you will be dominated by Colombia. I am here to tell you that this is far from the case. Our confederation is similar to the trinity of God. There is the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. The three persons are distinct, yet they are one. They are God. And so it is with our Confederation. We have Ecuadorians, Colombians and Venezuelans. All are distinct, yet are one. We are Andeans. We are all equal in this trinity. We all hold the same power. We each have the same amount of importance. Together, in this trinity of nations, we are strong, resilient and versatile, able to handle whatever this world throws at us. And so it is that should Ecuador leave this trinity of nations, we shall all be the weaker for it. Without Ecuador, we will only be a shadow of what we could be. For we cannot stand without every member of that trinity. We each cannot survive without the other.

Today I stand before you with open arms. Do not leave us my brothers. We each need each other. These are hard times. However, let me tell you they could be a lot worse. This confederation has has already warded off the destitution seen in Chile, the tyranny witnessed in Bolivia and the war featured across the globe. It is only by standing together in our Confederation have we seen off these threats. I fear what will happen, not only to Ecuador, but to Colombia and Venezuela too, if you vote to leave our Confederation, breaking the trinity of nations. For none can stand without the other. The fate of Ecuador, Colombia and Venezuela is in your hands. Please, make the correct decision. Make the right choice, not only for your nation and your children, but for every citizen in this Confederation.

May God save us.

200px-Canadian_Crest.svg.png
A Proclamation of the Governor-General
Exercising the Royal Prerogative as embodied in us through our office as Governor-in-Council, we hereby declare that a State of Emergency does exist in this, Her Majesty's Dominion; brought about by the occurrence of unlawful rebellions against the government of Her Majesty by the native peoples and by the Russian citizens of the Province of Alaska. Martial law is henceforth to take immediate effect within the States of Alaska and British Columbia and within the Territories of Rupert's Land, the Arctic Islands, and the Northwestern Territories; therefore the civil governments of those jurisdictions are summarily directed to surrender their powers to the Lieutenant Governors of the aforementioned jurisdictions or such military authorities as may duly arise under the auspices of Her Majesty's Government.

We do also henceforth direct the Prime Minister of this Her Majesty's dominion, Sir John A. MacDonald, to immediately and with all due haste form a government of National Unity within Parliament; in order to provide for stable and effective government throughout the width and breadth of Her Majesty's dominion of Canada. Failure to comply with this directive may, at our discretion, result in the utilisation of reserve powers to ensure continuity of effective administration.

God save the Queen, and God bless Canada;

Charles Monck, IVth Viscount Monck
The Right Honourable, The Viscount Monck GCMG, PC;

Governor-General of the Dominion of Canada,
on behalf of Victoria, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Defender of the Faith

Kingdom of the Netherlands
800px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png

V1Nzan1.png

The Kingdom of the Netherlands is proud to announce the beginning of a new financial institution. With most taxation eliminated or significantly cut down, the government has to ensure its own financial survivability. In order to fully separate the matters of the government and the citizens, the Dutch Treasury shall no longer use taxpayer funded banks, thus lifting off its burden on the Dutch economy. Instead a new institution is going to be formed, the Dutch Royal Bank. The bank will be responsible solely for operating with government funds, and will be maintained by the additional amount of money that the government generates each year. The bank will be operated by a commission made up of the finest Dutch economic minds. The position of Chief Executive Officer will be given, for the first three year term, to Ronald van der Paulson, a man who has shown his dedication and patriotism in his hard work for the improvement of the Dutch Economy and state.

One of the first actions carried out by the bank will be the following treaty of mutual co-operation and free trade.

The Transatlantic Trade and Cooperation Treaty
In order to improve the economic and military statuses of the Confederate States of America and the Kingdom of the Netherlands, the following agreement is proposed:
1. Six ironclads, produced by the Dutch naval industry and due for finishing in the first half of the year 1877, are to be transferred to the Confederate Navy.
2. The Confederate States of America will make three yearly payments to the Dutch Royal Bank (Koninklijke Nederlandsche Bank) consisting of £1 500 000 each once the Ironclads are transferred.
3. The Kingdom of the Netherlands and the Confederate States of America will from now on introduce nominal tariff rates to ensure free trade across the Atlantic and the gradual improvement of both economies.

Signed:
[X] King William the Third of the Netherlands
[X]President James Longsteet of the Confederate States of America
[R] Ronald van der Paulson, Chief Executive Officer of the Dutch Royal Bank

The Dutch government hopes that the treaty will be mutually beneficent to both states.

Last edited:
[X] Signed, President James Longstreet of the Confederate States of America

With the signing of this treaty, it is hoped that our transatlantic trade can increase, and therefore our nation may become ever more prosperous. However, to protect this new-found trade, and to protect our overseas ambition, it is necessary to increase the size of the Confederate Navy. The presence of our guns on the high seas will serve as a reminder that the Confederacy is here to stay.

Join statement regarding the situation in the Ottoman Empire

The atrocities committed by the Ottoman Empire towards its Christian subjects are completely and utterly appalling. The Sultan is in violation of not only his obligations towards his own subjects, but also of the promises he, and his predecessors, have repeatedly made to European powers regarding the rights and status of Christians in the Ottoman Empire. As such the Sultan has lost any and all legitimacy in front of his subjects as well as in front of European powers.

The situation that has developed in the Balkans must be resolved at once, and so it will be. The Sultan will be afforded an opportunity to negotiate with representatives of his subjects as well as the European powers in order to find a permanent solution to the ongoing suffering of Christians in the Ottoman Empire. Should the Sultan not negotiate, or negotiate in bad faith, then the situation will be resolved without his consent or input.

Agreed to at Revel,

for Russia, Ch. Gorchakov
for the United Kingdom, Lord Augustus Loftus