• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It wont be the next update (ill try and upload tomorrow), but I will work something into the one after about what I think the AI still has the UK.

The next wave (1 September – 22 September)

On 1 September, with the Allied landing defeated, OB West and OKW assessed the strength of the Wehrmacht. In sixteen weeks, from the opening of the Battle of Britain till present, 744 FW 190 fighters had been lost and the fighter squadrons were in a complete mess in dire need of rest and replacement machines and pilots. Overall, the fighter groups were 25 per cent short of complement. Likewise, the twin-engine fighter wings and light bomber wings were 20 per cent under strength (272 ME 410s having been shot down and 184 HS 129s), while the medium bomber wings were 10 per cent understrength following the loss of 300 JU 188s. The losses suffered in the air and the Allied landing causing panic amongst the population had created such a strain on the economy that it was not possible to fully reinforce anyone let alone update their hardware. On a more positive note it was estimated that the British must be facing similar problems having lost an estimated 700 fighters, as well as 40 from the Fleet Air Arm, 80 light bombers, 106 medium bombers and 100 heavy bombers.

The assessment of OB West and OKW was thus: the losses in the air coupled with most of the infantry divisions of Army Group D being around 1,000 men short, had resulted in Operation Sea Lion being called off until 1947. With this conclusion reached and the fighting over, on the morning of 2 September Army Group was ordered back to Germany. The three infantry and two panzer armies were to take up positions in camps around Wilhelmshaven. Here they would rest, refit, and prepare for the invasion.

In the early hours of 3 September, seven years to the day following the British declaration of war, British troops stormed ashore at Wilhelmshaven. The 159th Reserve Division issued an immediate request for reinforcements, but the only unit nearby was the 2.Luftwaffe-Field-Division (a second rate formation raised for political purposes and to garrison safe locations in the rear) based in Bremen. At any rate, the Luftwaffe ground troops answered the call and started a force march to aid their comrades. Meanwhile, Army Group D was only just entering Belgium and was about ten days march away from the fighting (since to ease strain on the economy, military use of trains had been temporarily prohibited).

During the evening of the third massed naval traffic was detected around the Channel Islands, and just before dark a major assault was launched on Cherbourg by British forces. At 23:00 hours the entire 1st Panzer Army – the only reserve available in France – was ordered to seal off the Cotentin peninsula. As the tanks, trucks, and halftracks started moving towards Normandy, more urgent messages reached OB West and OKW. A massive landing – initial estimates suggesting 14 divisions, notwithstanding the attack on Cherbourg – had landed at various locations along the Cotentin peninsula. This landing would become known as Operation Sledgehammer. With the attack on Wilhelmshaven creating the possibility of the Allies creating a beachhead close to Berlin, Army Group D was ordered to continue to move towards the German city and destroy the British landing there before anything else.

Surrounded, and with little hope of rescue, the Cherbourg garrison fought on until out of ammunition and having sabotaged as much of the vital dock equipment as possible. With as much damage having been done, 6,500 men walked into British captivity on 6 September. This event, along with the British expanding their beachhead southwards, resulted in 3rd Panzer Army (of Army Group D) to be ordered to Normandy and the 15th Army (also of Army Group D) to the Pas de Calais region in case of a further landing.

On 11 September, six divisions of the 1st Panzer Army were ordered to liberate Carentan. Retaking this vital area would limit the Allied beachhead to a thin sliver and open up the opportunity to attack Cherbourg and cut off the British force. While the quality in training of the British troops fought in the Pas de Calais was lacking (when compared to the men of the British Expeditionary Force), the men fighting in Normandy was of a different character. Well sited anti-tank guns knocked out droves of tanks, while concealed infantry positions amongst the hedgerows of Normandy stopped our attack in its tracks. On the 15th, as the fighting became more disorganized and casualties mounted, the attack was called off.

large.jpg

Knocked out tanks and halftracks after one of the failed attacks.​

In Germany, the 159th Reserve and 2 Luftwaffe divisions had managed to hold on long enough for the lead elements of the 2nd Panzer Army to arrive. By the time the mobile infantry and panzer divisions arrived, the 9th (Highland) Infantry Division had just forced our troops back and they had captured Wilhelmshaven. The Luftwaffe had already abandoned its airbases in the region, thus its ground support staff had withdrawn without loss, and the interceptor squadrons based there had flown to fields further inside Germany without harassment. With the British ashore, the Royal Navy departed and this opening allowed our fleet of troop transporters and invasion boats to flee to the safety of Hamburg. The 2nd Panzer Army conducted an immediate attack and, by the 16th, two British divisions were destroyed with close to 20,000 men taken prisoner. The captured British general, admitted during interrogation that his mission – Operation Hush – had been a diversionary attack for the one underway in Normandy. With this information in hand, the 2nd Panzer Army was ordered to Normandy while the remaining infantry of Army Group D would take up position in Germany in case of a repeat attack.

On 19 September, after much fighting, the 1st and 3rd Panzer Armies completed a secure perimeter around the British beachhead in Normandy. British attempts to advance further south or to break out east had been repulsed and an uneasy stalemate had settled across the front. On the 22nd, Canadian forces started landing in Calais. The 15th Army, already in position in the Pas de Calais, were ordered to drive the Canadians back into the sea.

I know right! It would have been so much more convenient to kill them off in one spot than running back and forwards! I am just really glad this didn't happen while I was still at war with the Soviets, and am glad that the Soviet AI (despite its earlier mobilization) has not decided to attack. Damn, the AI could really screw with right now if it wanted.

Nice update! How many troops do you think the English have now?

Quite a few! At least over 300,000 men spread over the UK and France. When the Americans and Canadians are factored in, I believe they have me slightly outnumbered in the West. Luckily, they have not deployed that entire force in one fell swoop.

Damn! And I thought you'd have an easy time of it from now on. Go AI! ....I mean, go, in the sense of giving you a challenge, thus making it more fun for us readers as well. I do want you to win. :)

One word: Nukes on Berlin.

...That was not one word. Never mind.

Anyhow, it's fun to see the AI still alive and kicking - and even landing in a historical location! From that perspective, just be glad you still hold Caen ;)

Nicely done but I bet you were chewing your nails down to the nub.

Thanks for the comments guys!

I do want you to win.

I am running out of time, so I will have to figure out how to keep the game going beyond 1947. Not to mention, the more I delay it the stronger the Royal Navy and US Navy gets. My chance to invade the UK may have already long long past.

One word: Nukes on Berlin.

Well the Soviets had about 4 research facilities although I captured most. The UK has at least one on the south coast, and I have no idea about the US. If the AI has put the effort into producing nukes like I have (rather than just build reactors), that just very well happen before the end of the game.

just be glad you still hold Caen

Caen, and a very little hill (112) just outside the city, the key to my defense and Paris. It shall not fall!

Nicely done but I bet you were chewing your nails down to the nub.

It has been a bit nail-biting at times, that is for sure.

The battles of St. Malo and Carentan (25 September – 6 November)

After only a few days ashore, the Canadian landing in the Pas de Calais – later found out to be codenamed Operation Shingle, had been defeated by the 27th of the month and after only light fighting. In the meantime, small attacks had been launched around the perimeter of the British Normandy beachhead to no avail and the Eleventh Army had been ordered to the province to reinforce the three panzer armies deployed there (the Twelfth Army, the only remaining uncommitted force of Army Group D, was ordered to take up positions around Wilhelmshaven to prevent any future attacks in that area.).

The fighting that had briefly taken place in Normandy had shown the British to be dug-in deep and hard to dislodge. With this mind, on the 29th, a large scale attack was launched on Carentan from the direction of Caen. As the panzers rolled forward, they once again ran head first into well concealed anti-tank gun positions and the accompanying infantry were halted by entrenched British infantry. After barely 24 hours the attack was called off, and a new plan was formulated to tackle the beachhead.

220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-494-3376-12A%2C_Villers-Bocage%2C_zerst%C3%B6rte_Panzer_VI_und_IV.jpg

The attack was halted due to a combination of naval gunfire,
heavy artillery use, and the RAF's control of the sky as
well as the spirit of the British soldier involved.​

By the end of the month, it was estimated that the British had landed at least 19 divisions within the Normandy beachhead totaling somewhere in the region of 200,000 men. In comparison, the three panzer armies arrayed around the Normandy perimeter contained 360,000 men although only 250,000 were infantry or panzergrenadiers. Thus, the three armies lacked the infantry necessary to rapidly tackle the problem of the British landing. Furthermore, the intelligence department believed that the British still had a reserve - based around the British Isles - of one airborne infantry division, 13 infantry divisions, four second line infantry divisions, one mountain division, and at least one tank brigade. A force totaling anywhere from 175-210,000 men. Further afield, it was believed first-line infantry divisions had been deployed to garrison important points around the British Empire, such as the Caribbean. Thus, the British Army was in the region of being half a million men strong. Somewhat more alarmingly, reports indicated that a sizeable American army was based in Scotland although no concrete information was available on the composition or numbers of this force. It appeared that the information available when planning Operation Sea Lion had been optimistic, at best.

On 17 October, after a long rest and much preparation, eight divisions from the three panzer armies launched a new assault on St. Malo. It was expected that the attack would result in heavy tank losses and much confusion, thus a further 16 divisions had been assembled to rotate in and out of the battle once the frontline units had achieved certain objectives or become too weary. This method, a revival of the operational method employed on the Eastern Front, would see small gains made and fresh divisions leapfrog forward. Thus the attacking force was always fresh, while the British would be under attack constantly and without pause for breath. The assault was a great success. The attack overwhelmed the British defenses, and after only five days the British conducted a withdrawal rather than stand their ground. During the fighting a small number of Americans were also engaged, but on the whole the landing appeared to be almost entirely British.

Troops dug-in, in Normandy.​

With St. Malo retaken, troops were redeployed to bolster the force arrayed around Carentan. On the 27th, a renewed effort was made to take the city utilizing the same method used at St. Malo. Nine divisions comprised the first wave, with a further 18 to be rotated in as necessary. While this buildup was taking place, the Eleventh Army was ordered to St. Malo to prepare for an attack on Granville as soon as Carentan fell.

On the 28th, the British 'Southern Command' armoured division sallied forth from the British lines and engaged the leading panzer division. In the largest tank battle on the Western Front since the 'Battle of Calais-Boulogne' in October 1940, the British made a gallant effort to stop our attack. During the day long armoured melee, the British tanks were enveloped and then briefly encircled. Despite the brave efforts of the British crewmen, the division was mauled losing over 100 tanks during the day. Miraculously, the British were then able to break out and withdraw back behind friendly lines before moving into reserve somewhere in the region of Cherbourg.

8291283475_a0f8080534.jpg

Knocked out British tanks, from the battle with 'Southern Command',
are used for cover by the attacking infantry.​

For the next week, the panzergrenadiers and tanks steadily pushed through one British position after another. During the opening days of November, troops entered the actual city itself - rather than fighting in the surrounding area - pushing out the final British troops. On 4 November, Carentan was declared clear of British forces and was at last retaken. Within hours, the Brits launched a massed counterattack from the west and south to dispute our hold over the city. For two more days, fighting raged on over control of the city until the Eleventh Army finally launched its attack on Granville forcing the British to halt their own and concentrate on parrying our latest blow.

Last edited:
Attaboy. Way to push this Tommies back. Those are Fallschirmagers using that knocked out British tank for cover I believe. Love your photos in the AAR.....

Thanks again. Good call on the pic being of FJ troops. In game though, they are sitting in Antwerp - I believe - awaiting that order to attack England.

Completely missed those runes, I shall remove them asap.

As for a navy, my only navy is enough ships to transport ships to get an entire army to England and enough subs to wreak havoc on the British convoys.

Operation Faust update

To: the Reich Ministry
Date: 14 October 1946
Re: Update on the progress of Operation Faust

Despite the positive report issued in May regarding the progress of Operation Faust, it must now be acknowledge that it was prematurely optimistic and the actual results of the operation are mixed.

The Aggregat-10 "Amerika Rakete" is a complete failure. Extensive testing has shown that the rocket does not have the range expected. The rocket will not be able to reach the United States, and targets in Scotland are likely to also be out of range. Production has gone ahead and several units have already been handed over to the Luftwaffe for deployment, and construction of new units halted. Based on the previous use of the Aggregat series, the "Amerika Rakete" should still be able to cause substantial damage to the targets it is aimed at due to the larger designed warhead. Work has commenced on upgrading the A-10 design, but the best estimates place the range of the new rocket to be 1,700 kilometers at best.

In regards to the weaponization of atomic energy, today marked the completion of the theoretical work on such a bomb. Work has now commenced on constructing a way to delivery such a weapon: via a bomb for the newly constructed heavy bomber or via the A-10 rocket. While the delivery system is being studied and worked on, it is expected to take at least ten months to assemble the required materials to fully complete our first atomic bomb. Afterwards, due to ongoing research, we believe this time can be slashed by half. Long term production could see our refinement and construction time plummet, but for now summer 1947 seems to be the most realistic timeframe for the use of the first weapon outside of testing.

The rocket proyecto seems not being paying off now