• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I know is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery early but I want to let this clear:

you must do a megacampaign with Rome (the real one, not byzantium) and the new converter for EUIV!!

:wub:

Nobody was more excited than I when they announced the pre-order bonus for EUIV -- I was originally angry because I thought it was only for those people who participated in that contest, but grew much happier when I found out the opposite. :) That said, I already have an idea for a TOG campaign that I might as well carry into EUIV, so that'll be the first, although I do quite like your idea too.

Update will be up sometime today.

Chapter 25: A confrontation

1 September 1563, Nürnberg

Joseph II von Hohenzollern, like all monarchs, had an impressive throne room, with all the standard royal accoutrements. He also had a far more informal study, for when serious work needed to be done. Not many Bavarians ever got to see it, but it was there. One particularly frequent visitor sat across from him: the President of the Conclave of Stadtholders, Ferdinand Maximillian.

"Ferdinand, thank you for coming."

"Of course, Your Imperial Majesty. When the Kaiser calls, who would not listen?"

Joseph II smiled. As Kaiser, he didn't have many actual friends -- his darling wife was one -- but Ferdinand was perhaps his closest. That made this particular interview a difficult one. "Ferdinand, you have done an excellent job as President. You have kept the Conclave quiet, which is no mean feat. Yet things are happening, things which force me to ask for your resignation."

Ferdinand sat quietly for a moment, letting what the Kaiser said wash over him. "If you request it, you may have it, but why?"

Joseph sighed and slid a document across the table.

6v5n.jpg

"You aren't Chancellor any more, Ferdinand. This is not your affair."

Ferdinand winced. Sebastian von Ungern had brought the document to his attention, since neither Chancellor Lechner or Foreign Minister Livizzani would sign it. Ferdinand had done so happily, and when presented with the President's approval, the Chancellor and Foreign Minister had no choice but to forward it to the Kaiser. "Is it not important to grow your realm, Kaiser?"

"It is, but not at the expense of the most powerful ally we've ever had."

"I assume you will be destroying the document, then?"

Joseph, for a brief moment, smiled. "It will be lost, sadly, in the Imperial Archives, until I am ready to see it found again. It's excellent work, and allies are not eternal." The smile disappeared. "Relations with Poland are extremely important right now, however. I must make an example of you so that others do not antagonize Poland. Do you understand?"

Unhappily, Ferdinand nodded. "Of course, Sire. I am yours to command."

"Do not be alarmed. I have already found you gainful employment as chief tutor to my sons and daughter. Luitpold, Peter, Vera, and Bruno need a firm hand for when their father is not available to protect them."

Ferdinand, recognizing the importance of the assignment, took it in the spirit in which it was given. "Thank you, Sire. I will not fail your trust."

29 January 1653, Venezia

Graf Ludwig von Pappenheim, unlike many of the nobles in the Empire, had a strong relationship with the Stadtholder of Venice, Vito de Frizi. They worked together to make Bayern's newest province a profitable one. de Frizi had requested a transfer from München to his homeland as soon as it was annexed, and the request was granted. Georgi Petrov, at Anastasia's request, was the new Stadtholder of München. Ludwig, of course, also remained Admiral of the Bavarian fleet in addition to his title of Graf von Venezia.

Each day, Ludwig and Vito discussed what was going on. Vito de Frizi owed no allegiance to the Graf, other than ensuring that he received his comital income. Herzogen, Grafen, and Baronen had no formal role in the daily governance of the kingdom. (Herzogen had overall command of their Duchies, but that was it.) However, for important positions, they tended to be chosen, and the simple fact they held a title gave them considerable influence as they could request an audience with the Kaiser at any time. Stadtholders, meanwhile, could only make requests via the Conclave. A Stadtholder did have unparalleled power within their home province, but served at the monarch's pleasure and could be replaced any time. It was a carefully designed balancing act, but one that had worked well since Joseph II had instituted it.

For de Frizi and von Pappenheim, however, there was great respect, and both had something to offer. Often, the Venetian garrison commander, Oberst Harald von Ungern, would join them, but not this particular day as he was leading his garrison in maneuvers.

"So, Vito, what is troubling you today?"

The Italian economist always had a dour look on his face. Indeed, Ludwig always opened their sessions with that same question as a sort of joke. Today, though, there was genuine concern in Vito's reply. "Graf Ludwig, the Foreign Ministry forwarded this to me yesterday evening."

75ng.jpg

Ludwig frowned. "Another war, so soon? Our truce with Venice is for ten years, Vito. Perhaps I should speak to the Marshal about this when next I see him. Surely we do not intend to seize Ancona."

"I do hope you are right. Most of the people here are not entirely pleased with Bavarian rule. Indeed, they look on Venice as their home, and an attack while a truce still exists might cause an uprising."

Ludwig nodded and left the Stadtholder's office. What is that fool Livizzani playing at? Just because he won an award from the Empire does not mean we no longer need obey diplomatic agreements.

rsq4.jpg

10 January 1656, Ferrara

General Otto Chlingensperg was formally just an observer at the peace conference between Ferrara and Genoa. For whatever reason, Genoa thought that the Kaiser's decree denouncing expansionism within the Empire was nothing but a piece of paper. They were sadly mistaken.

ihbo.jpg

The General's own role in the fighting had been minimal until he and his army captured the notorious Corsican rebel Pietro Buonaparti.

t91f.jpg

After that, General Chlingensperg was named Commander-in-Chief for the duration of the war. It was his task to reduce the fortress at Genoa. It took months of careful planning, but he accomplished that sooner than many expected. Marshal Scherer himself had congratulated him and promised a big role in things to come. All Chlingensperg cared about was his kingdom. As an observer to the peace conference, his job was to make sure the peace was fair and something that the Kaiser could live with. It was.

3vlg.jpg

1 June 1657, Domazlice

Marshal Scherer was unlike many of the Marshals before him: he believed in seeing the troops every now and again, particularly before a big war. He rode out with his personal chief of staff, General Otto von Pappenheim (the Admiral's younger brother) accompanying him.

"Otto, our official war aim here is to annex the province of Bamberg. However, as it is the capital of Hannover, we must press the attack against both provinces and annex them both. It will not be an easy job, and will require a delicate touch with the locals."

"Of course, Marshal. I will inform General Chlingensperg --"

Marshal Scherer looked down his nose at his adjutant. "If I wanted him to know, I would tell him myself."

40wt.jpg

"I am in charge of the mission?"

"Yes. It is by the Kaiser's command. It seems he thinks very highly of you."

"I won't let him down, then, Marshal."

"That is good. Your first job is to deliver this to the King of Hannover."

ae1t.jpg

30 December 1661, Nürnberg

The war against Hannover was no significant challenge for General Pappenheim. Marshal Scherer had disliked him, initially, preferring the more experienced Chlingensperg, but the Kaiser had insisted. He had insisted for a very good reason -- Pappenheim's elder brother was trustworthy. There would be counties to be distributed, and the Chlingenspergs had, in the past, supported the Habsburgs. One, in fact, had been a known associate of Siegfried Gumpenberg, arrested with his leader. Chlingensperg received a worthy assignment on Marshal Scherer's staff, but the Kaiser simply could not risk somebody with questionable loyalty having the near infinite power to distribute the spoils of war.

Joseph II was very pleased with the results. The kingdom of Bayern gained many ducats, a new vassal, and even a small but profitable center of trade in Dresden.

wcfw.jpg

91py.jpg

d81h.jpg

5jw0.jpg

Even more promising was Andrew Napier's circle at the University von Bruno Lanze (formerly University von Hohenzollern), which included not only economists, but some of the finest men of science the world had seen. The University had become a beacon for the world's best and brightest. However, the University was not always wise in who was accepted and who was rejected. For the first time in a very long while, the Catholic Church disapproved of something Bayern had done. Archbishop Peter resigned his office and died a few months later, his heart supposedly being broken by "the Kaiser's betrayal."

tw8b.jpg

The new Archbishop von Nürnberg was Simeon, a 21 year old who, not surprisingly, had recently graduated from Lanze University. Almost a dozen candidates had turned down the position before Simeon. The Pope disapproved, but decided to let the matter rest rather than risk an open break with Nürnberg. More difficult to appease was Anastasia Petrova. Over dinner, they often discussed politics. Anastasia was ever more fiery about her republicanism. Joseph II, while among the most liberal monarchs in Europe, was still a monarch. He believed fervently in the welfare of his subjects, but they were his subjects, not his equals. Anastasia never stopped loving her husband, but found herself more distant everyday from his conception of life. He particularly disliked anything that lessened his power. He happily played Stadtholders against nobles, soldiers against merchants, and fathers against sons.

Anastasia threw her attention entirely into raising their four children, while Joseph II focused on his theoretical children, his subjects.

2 July 1666, Verdun

Joseph II rarely left Nürnberg. He just had too much to do. On this particular occasion, though he made an exception. His twin sons were both in school: Luitpold was studying at the War Academy von Clemens, while Peter pursued his own interests at Lanze University. Vera was the belle of Europe, visiting a new foreign capital every day. Bruno, the youngest (born in 1650), wasn't quite yet ready to enroll in college. With his children's future provided for, Joseph was able to focus entirely on ruling his Empire. The Empire had answered the call of Athens, once, defending it against Anastasia's former homeland of Russia.

uj7d.jpg

A personal plea from Anastasia was enough to convince Russia to leave Athens alone.

cjmt.jpg

Meanwhile, plenty of money was invested into a new tax bureau and a renovated Schloss von Hohenzollern.

ympt.jpg

xims.jpg

In other words, the Empire was strong and prosperous. Yet one thing remained unresolved. The death of Friedrich von Ungern in 1665, at least temporarily, reduced the pressure on the Gumpenbergers, and there hadn't been any terrorist attacks in years. Only Karl Lanze, Bruno's son, pushed to continue the investigation. The investigations led back to France. The final straw, however, was the delivery of none other than Geoffrey von Wittelsbach to Nürnberg, sans head. In his possession was a note, confessing to assassinating Bruno Lanze and Alois Johann Lechner, among dozens of other crimes, including providing weapons and money to Siegfried Gumpenberg and his gang. It was signed with the royal seal of France.

Joseph II had no choice. He placed France under the Imperial ban, pending restitution for the crimes of Geoffrey von Wittelsbach. In the ultimate insult, the King of France insisted he had no idea what was going on. Joseph II retaliated, personally delivering the note to a French envoy near the common border at Verdun.

0v4r.jpg

It was time to secure justice. Forcibly.

Part 1 of the war is coming this weekend! Apologies to two of our contest winners; the characters will be introduced soon.

I'm starting to realize that my comments in both this and your HoD AAR involve me telling you to beat up France or some other nation. Well on that note... crush the French! :p

Well that ends Geoffrey's plot. I guess I should start looking for an even more obscure family wronged by the Hohenzollerns for your next contest. ;)

Oh boy, my little dynasty has provided the excuse for invading France. That was a nice chunk of change you managed to wring out of Luneberg. I hope Poland proves to be useful in the upcoming war.

My guy kick the bucket yet? I see that his son was at the top of the post, but I haven't seen Marshal von Ungern in two or three posts now. He going to come out of retirement for the war?

I'm starting to realize that my comments in both this and your HoD AAR involve me telling you to beat up France or some other nation. Well on that note... crush the French! :p

Well that ends Geoffrey's plot. I guess I should start looking for an even more obscure family wronged by the Hohenzollerns for your next contest. ;)

:D

out of curiosity, how many do they hold?

How many what?

Oh boy, my little dynasty has provided the excuse for invading France. That was a nice chunk of change you managed to wring out of Luneberg. I hope Poland proves to be useful in the upcoming war.

Indeed it has.

War with France? Gonna be interesting...

It will be that!

My guy kick the bucket yet? I see that his son was at the top of the post, but I haven't seen Marshal von Ungern in two or three posts now. He going to come out of retirement for the war?

In other words, the Empire was strong and prosperous. Yet one thing remained unresolved. The death of Friedrich von Ungern in 1665, at least temporarily, reduced the pressure on the Gumpenbergers, and there hadn't been any terrorist attacks in years.

The search function is a wonderful thing. :)

With the annexation of Hannover you are another step closer to the formation of Germany. How many provinces and cores do you lack at the moment?

I don't know, since Catholics can't form Germany. ;) I will get to Germany, eventually, but precisely how I will leave mysterious for now.

I don't know, since Catholics can't form Germany. ;) I will get to Germany, eventually, but precisely how I will leave mysterious for now.
Huh? Some special mod that changed the decision?

edit:
Since when can't Catholic powers form Germany? (in DW 5.2 not even Prussia needs Reformed/Protestant faith).

Last edited:
You have an unfortunate habit of beating up on poor France here and in Gunboat. Hopefully your German armies fight better than your British. I personally would have gorged myself on Poland before cutting France down to size but I am sure you have a cunning plan.

As an aside, how did they identify the headless corpse as Geoffrey? It is not like you could just look at the body and say "I recognise that torso!".

Huh? Some special mod that changed the decision?

edit:
Since when can't Catholic powers form Germany? (in DW 5.2 not even Prussia needs Reformed/Protestant faith).

The decision never appeared for me, but I don't have EU3 installed on this PC so I can't check it. I always thought you had to be Protestant though.

This would make for an awesome contest :D

Maybe. :)

O yeah, I forgot you were Catholic... (Even though this post features the pope, stupid me :D) But you can still form it, looking forward to the unraveling of the mystery :)

Great!

You have an unfortunate habit of beating up on poor France here and in Gunboat. Hopefully your German armies fight better than your British. I personally would have gorged myself on Poland before cutting France down to size but I am sure you have a cunning plan.

As an aside, how did they identify the headless corpse as Geoffrey? It is not like you could just look at the body and say "I recognise that torso!".

The head was also provided. Didn't make that clear, I suppose. :)

I'm not sure which is harder.... waiting for EUIV or the next update.

High praise indeed! Fortunately, you should get my update sooner than EUIV.

Chapter 26, part 1: The Clash of the Titans

2 July 1666, Nürnberg

Joseph II von Hohenzollern, naturally, was a busy monarch with the war against Bayern's single greatest foe. Yet he found little time in the opening days of the conflict for anything but domestic concerns. He sat quietly, awaiting the day's first supplicant, with one eye always on the strategic map in front of him.

f8xl.jpg

Marshal Scherer had insisted upon commanding from the front line, so that Joseph II was, in effect, his own Marshal. To aid himself, he promoted Harald von Ungern to General and made the nobleman his personal military advisor until Scherer's return. The plan, itself, was simplicity. Drive hard into French lands. There was one problem in the short run -- a clerical error meant that some of the frontline troops had not received rations for a couple of days, and so were not, perhaps, ideally disposed for combat. Nonetheless, as proud Bavarians, they would fight and die if need be.

A herald brought in the first appointment of the day. The cut of his clothes, style of his hair, and air of arrogance nearly convinced the Captain of the Guard to slay the newcomer on the spot. The Kaiser stayed the Captain's hand. The newcomer merely smiled, as if this was a common mistake, and proclaimed, "Fear not, noble sir, as I am a Walloon, not French."

The Kaiser could not help but smile. "Indeed. Herr Picard is one of ours, Captain, the Stadtholder of Valais."

"You forget my title, Your Imperial Majesty -- President of the Conclave of Stadtholders."

"Are you now? I had completely forgotten the position existed."

Rene Picard smiled jovially, but raged inside. Born in Brussels, Picard was one of the wealthiest men in all of Europe. More than that, he was an incredibly shrewd card player and politician. He had won his governorship in a game of chance, doing so in such a skillful manner that the Kaiser, out of genuine respect for his panache, confirmed the appointment. Picard had already done more to liberalize his province than any other Stadtholder ever had, allowing public elections (of the wealthiest and more powerful men of his province) for every position in the province. "Kaiser, I understand you have much on your mind with the perfidious French dogs who so wrongly attacked you occupying your attention."

Now it was the Kaiser who had to conceal his emotions. Joseph II had done his best to portray himself as wronged, but he could not portray his intentions as peaceful. Any fool recognized that. Rene Picard is no fool, mused the Kaiser. His selection to this office is no mistake. Aloud, the Kaiser simply laughed. "Touche, my friend. So, to what do I owe the honor of your visit?"

"I come on behalf of the Conclave."

"Ah. Have you considered my proposal?"

The Kaiser, as soon as he had determined to attack France, had made an astounding offer -- he would grant Stadtholders the right to choose their own successors via the Conclave, in exchange for ensuring that all conscription quotas be met and that domestic peace be made the order of the day.

It was extremely generous. So generous that Picard, and a majority within the Conclave, mistrusted the offer. "Sire, we have had time to consider it, yes. And I cannot help but ask myself, 'Rene, if you were Kaiser, would you make such a deal?' I respond, 'No, it would be utter foolishness.' I ask you, then, the same question I asked myself. Why?"

Joseph II nodded, as if to concede yet another point to the Walloon. "A fair question. First, I know as well as you do that French troops are not the Byzantines. There will be horrendous casualties, and I must needs rely upon the soldiers of the land to replenish my armies." Rene agreed that was reasonable. "Second, I would prefer no rebellion in my rear as we extend our lines into France's interior, or so we pray."

"What you say makes excellent sense. My question then becomes, why should I settle for having the Conclave appoint all Stadtholders? I could get many more political concessions from you than that, or so it would seem."

Joseph II smiled wolfishly. "It is entirely possible that you may. Or, it could also be that every garrison in the kingdom is on high alert and would kill every last one of the traitors should you refuse."

Rene winced. I perhaps showed too much of my hand. I did so hope to demand a percentage of key posts be granted only to Stadtholders. No matter. "Then we are agreed, Herr Kaiser."

Joseph nodded. Both men signed the agreement and departed. The next appointment was with Clemens August Asch III and his son, Clemens August Asch IV.

"Ah, gentlemen. I suppose you have your own concerns?"

Clemens gestured to the younger Asch, who was a mere forty compared to his much older father. "Kaiser, we are worried about giving Picard so much power. Is it truly wise?"

Joseph II sighed. "Is it wise? Perhaps not. But it is necessary. I could easily dispose of every Stadtholder in the realm, but there is a growing movement behind the Conclave." Joseph tented his fingers. "I do not think any of them see it except, perhaps, Picard. Tell me, gentlemen, who benefits if the Stadtholders choose their own number?"

"The Stadtholders, obviously." Yet Clemens August Asch III looked worried even as his son replied confidently.

"No, my son, the existing Stadtholders."

The Kaiser nodded. "Yes. They will stagnate if new blood is not introduced, which is precisely why I offered it to them. They will grow ever more conservative. Soon, the most radical of them will become more and more reserved and quiet. They think want to choose their own replacements, and perhaps many of them do. Picard does not."

"What does Picard want, then, Kaiser Joseph?"

Joseph II rose and looked out the window to the people below his castle. "He wants a republic, my oldest friends. A republic where there is no Kaiser and no nobility. He thinks I do not see this, but I do. It greatly troubles me. Oh, he would make sure the common folk do not vote. He is not a lunatic. What I fear, however, is that if a republic is proclaimed, the Hohenzollerns and all those who benefit from the Hohenzollerns will perish."

Father and son looked in horror at one another. "What can we do to stop this? As you say, even if we did not love you, we are equally at their mercy."

"Do you have an association of your own, like the Conclave?"

"The Gentlemen's Society of Greater Bayern has most of the most prominent nobles, I believe, and invitations could be extended to the remainder."

"Your President?"

"We do not have one -- it rotates -- but our treasurer is Baron Paul Henneberger."

Joseph II nodded with satisfaction. Henneberger, much like Picard, was a wealthy merchant. Yet Henneberger hungered for what Picard did not -- power and glory. He married into an old Bavarian family and inherited a small castle outside of Ulm from his father-in-law. He would do almost anything for more fame and power. "Gentlemen, please discuss what I have said with your society. I am most eager to hear what we can do, but after the war."

Both Aschs departed, bowing. Joseph II returned to his desk, knowing he had one final group appointment with his family. He smiled with genuine warmth as his wife and four children entered the small office.

"Anastasia, Vera, my dears, please sit." They took the chairs indicated, while Luitpold, Peter, and Bruno all stood proudly. "We are here to discuss this family's future in the coming war. We six are all that remains of the Hohenzollerns. Anastasia, I would like you and Vera to visit your family in Poland. You will be safer there from French attacks. Find our beloved daughter a worthy husband." Vera smiled. Anastasia merely looked troubled.

"Kajetan, you know I would be by your side."

Joseph II nodded gravely. "I know. Despite the fact that you might prefer Rene Picard as a husband, though, I trust you implicitly."

Anastasia laughed and smiled slyly. "It is true, he is much more handsome than you."

"Of course he is." The family shared a quite laugh. "But I must insist. Bruno, you will accompany your mother and sister and see that they come to no harm. Oberstleutnant de la Rosa and 100 guards will be at your command."

Bruno bowed, and gesturing to his mother and sister, departed with them.

"What of us, Father?" said Luitpold, a split second before Peter.

"You are grown men, now, and it is time to do your duty for kingdom and empire. You have both completed your schooling?" After the twins nodded, he continued. "Peter, I know of your fondness for literature and poetry. It has made you a very sweet boy. Yet if your brother and I were killed, you would need to rule, and so you must learn something of administration. You may find bureaucracy dreadfully boring, but it is vital to a successful realm. You will serve as Ferdinand Maximillian's personal assistant until such time as you are relieved. Learn from him."

Peter bowed. "Of course, Father."

Then Joseph II turned to his eldest son. True, Peter and Luitpold were twins, but Luitpold had become a powerful warrior, sinewy and tough. He was proficient at hand to hand combat and one of the finest marksmen in Europe. Yet, he too lacked something. "Luitpold, if I were to offer you any position you liked, what would you choose?"

Without hesitation, Luitpold said "Put me in the infantry. Let me lead a charge, or follow a charge, or anything to spill French blood for the glory of our country and our family."

"As I suspected." Joseph sighed. "Luitpold, you are a masterful soldier. I sometimes see Friedrich II in you. You have a head for administration the equal of mine, if not even greater."

"Thank you, Father."

"You lack one thing to be a truly great leader."

Luitpold looked intently. "What is that?"

"Cunning."

"I do not understand."

Joseph II pursed his lips for a moment, searching his bookshelf. He pulled down a volume and handed it to his son. "What is the title of this book?"

"The Art of War."

"Yes. I purchased that at great expense from China. The author writes of using deception, trickery, and patience to win battles. Do you understand?"

"I think so, Father" although Luitpold understood nothing of the kind.

Joseph II shook his head sadly. "I thought not, my son. You must learn these qualities, and the art of diplomacy, if you are to succeed as Kaiser."

"You will apprentice me then to the Foreign Minister?"

The Kaiser laughed. "You would learn less of diplomacy from him than from a tree. No, I will give you a commission, but not in the infantry."

"Then where?"

"The Gendarmerie."

Luitpold was absolutely stunned. "The Gendarmerie? You would have become a brainless thug?"

Joseph II could no longer take his son's insolence. "If you became a brainless thug, Luitpold, it might be a considerable improvement! The Gendarmerie is the secret sword of the kingdom! They do what they do purely for service and not for glory or recognition. They do it to defend their realm. They investigate crimes, break up plots before they can ripen, and they strike at enemies long before a musket is pointed. If you excel there, you will be the greatest Kaiser this realm has ever seen. If you fail, Peter would be a far superior ruler. Do you understand?"

Luitpold thought about nodding, but finally decided to tell the truth. "No, I do not."

"Good. Admitting you do not understand is the first step toward understanding. I give you two months of liberty to put your affairs in order. Then, you will report to Gendarmerie Headquarters."

"Where is that, Father?"

"If you cannot find it yourself, you do not belong there."

19 August 1666, Paris

Adelheid von Wittelsbach und Babenberg squealed like a school girl as reports came flooding of French victory after French victory. She had willingly sacrificed her husband's neck for this war, and would have done so again and again if it were necessary. The funny part was that in Geoffrey's room, she discovered he was going to do the same to her. "I suppose we really were perfect for one another. I shall miss him, I think."

The initial attacks had been not only blunted, but annihilated.

x8vn.jpg

Even sweeter, General Moshamm, one of the finest Generals in Bayern, was captured at the most recent battle, which took place on Bavarian soil.

1xdj.jpg

Adelheid smiled rapturously. "I do so hope the King will give me permission to accompany the advance into Nürnberg!"

The girl serving her smiled emptily. Unbeknownst to the would-be Queen, everybody in Paris hated her, and her serving girl was no exception. The King had not wished to fight Bayern, had indeed hoped to convince Joseph II to turn on the Poles. Instead, the Kingdom was plunged into war.

28 August 1666, Valenciennes

Bayern had won many battles against France in the last wars, yet lost each war. The secret to France's success had been their near constant waves of manpower. What Adelheid von Babenberg und Wittelsbach did not know, but the King of France did (as did practically everyone else in France), was that that particular imbalance had been rectified. A daring escape by General Moshamm and a counterattack proved the new found resilience of Bayern.

jet9.jpg

New armies were already being raised, well behind the lines, to replace those lost. No, this time, Bavarian troops would take the fight to France.

28 November 1666, Geneve

Adalbert Moshamm was replacing, at least indirectly, one of the finest soldiers the Empire had ever produced. Marshal Scherer, who had won countless battles and defeated more armies than some kings, was killed by a snake bite.

vxa7.jpg

Harald von Ungern was named Marshal in his place, but what the kingdom and empire really needed was battlefield commanders. This was proven quite conclusively by the back and forth action at the front lines.

p3l8.jpg

While the army appeared to be weakened, the Kaiser demanded more from France as a way to settle the war, insisting that Poitou become part of Bayern, in addition to Valenciennes and the provinces under imperial ban.

j1l3.jpg

The first newly appointed officer was Adalbert Moshamm, the son of General Maximillian Philipp Moshamm.

dipg.jpg

The second newly created General was Adalbert's former chief of cavalry, Karl Wilsenhütten.

uwlg.jpg

The "Young Bavarians" (as the two of them were known -- both were under 30) needed to pick up where their predecessors left off; striking blow after blow directly at the enemy's heart.

16 February 1667, Gendarmerie HQ

Luitpold von Hohenzollern, Leutnant von Gendarmerie, fumed as he saw his inferiors promoted or sent off to war while he was investigating horse thieves. He had tried to correspond with General Wilsenhütten after his glorious victory at Avignon.

gmch.jpg

His father had intercepted the letter (in which the Prinz tried to order Wilsenhütten to give him a commission in the field) and, to emphasize Luitpold's inability to go to the front, forwarded one from, of all people, his youngest brother Bruno, who had accompanied a Polish army as an observer into eastern France.

ed18.jpg

Yet for Luitpold, the ultimate insult was watching the General-in-Chief of the Gendarmerie -- Alois Johann Rickauer -- getting a battlefield commission, even though he was already in his fifties and had never seen combat.

vxa6.jpg

Why does Father hate me? whined the young Prinz. Have I not been a dutiful son?

1 July 1667, Nürnberg

Joseph II paced in his office. Whatever faults the French might have, marksmanship was not one of them. The senior General in command had been assassinated by a French sharpshooter.

7uwn.jpg

While he considered a replacement, the King of Oldenburg sat, in exile, not forty feet away. He was a King without a Kingdom.

nm7u.jpg

With Polish help, French fortresses continued to fall, however.

ohzr.jpg

The Kaiser was convinced that a French counterattack was inevitable, yet he lacked the experienced leadership he needed to meet and turn such an attack. The only General who was even healthy enough to carry a musket was Albrecht von Zentner (cousin of the distinguished General of the same name, who had died in 1645). Zentner was an artilleryman, but an accident had cost him one of his arms and made him very skittish about combat. Sadly, Zentner was the best choice, as most of the most experienced Obersts were in garrisons around the kingdom, ensuring that Rene Picard kept his word and carried out no plots.

y16d.jpg

This is no way to fight a war, he ventured. Something drastic is needed.

5 August 1667, Vermandois

Oberstleutnant de la Rosa was eager to prove that he belonged in the conversation as one of the great military heroes of his time. True, he had failed in most of his combat duty prior to this war. He was inattentive to the needs of his men, often read maps incorrectly, and in general did as little as humanly possible to achieve that notoriety. He found himself in command of 4th Army only through sheer persistence and the critical skill of staying alive (at which he truly was a military genius).

The most recent success against the French in battle was achieved by a Polish general.

jeot.jpg

It had been Bavarian troops that had won the day, yet the Polish leader won the credit. Tomas de la Rosa was insistent that he not meet the same fate; he would be visible in the slow march to Paris. He shouted meaningless platitudes at his troops, urging them to be willing to "gloriously die for Kaiser and Empire" and striking all manner of absurd poses in an effort to "raise morale." Tomas had just struck his very favorite, where he shaded his vision and looked over the horizon (in the wrong direction, mind, but nobody cared to correct him) with his left hand on his revolver. Behind him, Tomas heard cheering. That is more like it!/I] he ventured.

He bowed to accept their praise, and made for his command tent to study the campaign map.

zjn7.jpg

To his utter revulsion, he found another officer seated, quietly examining that same map. Outraged, Tomas shouted at that unknown officer. "Sir, you forget your place! When a superior officer arrives, you must stand and salute!"

The officer, barely suppressing a laugh, nonetheless leapt to his feet and saluted. "Right you are, Oberstleutnant!"

Tomas shuddered at the ridiculously ornate uniform on display in front of him. (It had two more buttons than his own, which was surely a crime!) "My God, man, you are a peacock, a vainglorious rooster strutting as if you and you alone were the heart and soul of the army. Why, you probably have never seen a fight in a tavern, let alone battle!"

The officer now couldn't help but guffaw. "Why, I had much the same opinion of you, Oberstleutnant! How odd!"

Tomas now bristled with rage. "That is it! Sir, I demand your name, that I might gain satisfaction!"

"Gladly. It is Kajetan Maria von Hohenzollern."

ugag.jpg

Tomas de la Rosa did what any other gentleman-solider of the König's glorious army would have. He fainted dead away. Joseph II simply shook his head. "Somebody haul his carcass out of the tent? We have a siege to plan."

Part II will come early next week!