• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Korbah

Ratel
137 Badges
Mar 3, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
1.10 introduced a new rivers system to CK2 that is causing issues with basically every previous custom map, in addition to some other changes to the way the game works. I'm creating this thread to help other custom map makers get their maps working.

Firstly, adjacencies is formatted slightly differently now and you seem to require at least 1 portage entry and 1 major river entry. This seems to be the #1 issue with custom maps. (Luca0312 is credited with discovering this)
For example;
Code:
From;To;Type;Through;-1;-1;-1;-1;Comment
1;289;sea;1072;-1;-1;-1;-1;Imperial-Weye
375;89;major_river;1108;-1;-1;-1;-1;Ebonheart-Thir
386;86;portage;1026;-1;-1;-1;-1;Firewatch
-1;-1;;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1

Secondly, default.map require entries for the provinces that make up your major rivers as well.
Code:
max_provinces = 1195
sea_starts = 1025
definitions = "definition.csv"
provinces = "provinces.bmp"
positions = "positions.txt"
terrain = "terrain.bmp"
rivers = "rivers.bmp"
terrain_definition = "terrain.txt"
heightmap = "topology.bmp"
tree_definition = "trees.bmp"
continent = "continent.txt"
adjacencies = "adjacencies.csv"
climate = "climate.txt"
region = "region.txt"
static = "static.txt"

# Define which indices in trees.bmp palette which should count as trees for automatic terrain assignment
tree = { 3 4 7 10 }
major_rivers = {
	1025 1026 1108 # River Thir
	1027 1028 1029 #
	1030 1031 1032 # Bjoulsae
	1033 1034 1035 # Brena
	1036 1037 1038 # 
	1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 # Xylo
}

Thirdly, de jure Duchies now require de jure Kingdoms. Previously it was possible to have de jure duchies independent of de jure kingdoms but this no longer appears to be the case. Titular Duchies remain unaffected.

These are so far the only issues I have personally run in to, it would be great if anyone else with issues they've managed to resolve could also reply to this thread with their solution(s) so other map makers don't drive themselves crazy trying to figure things out ;)

After more testing I've found out that actually...

- You don't need to define any major_river in adjancencies. Only portage is needed apparently.
- You don't need to have any major_river provinces defined in default.map. The code section is required, but it can be empty.
- Any error in adjacencies (for example, defining a portage between two land provinces or a crossing through a land province) will freeze the game on 'Calculating Paths'.

Last edited:
After more testing I've found out that actually...

- You don't need to define any major_river in adjancencies. Only portage is needed apparently.
- You don't need to have any major_river provinces defined in default.map. The code section is required, but it can be empty.
- Any error in adjacencies (for example, defining a portage between two land provinces or a crossing through a land province) will freeze the game on 'Calculating Paths'.

Interesting info, I can ditch those navigable rivers from Elder Kings then :laugh:

Defining a portage between 2 rivers through a SEA province crashes also the game at the maplogic. I know it's stupid to define a portage through a sea but I spent 2 hours to figure out I wrote the prov_id on the wrong line ...

Also, if you have major_river defined in default.map but no major_river adjacencies, armies won't be able to cross those rivers by feet.

I noticed they also added a lot of island areas in region.txt and added some regions in continent.txt. I didn't try anything yet but does that mean we can finally use the region command like in EU3 for events ?

I noticed they also added a lot of island areas in region.txt and added some regions in continent.txt. I didn't try anything yet but does that mean we can finally use the region command like in EU3 for events ?

The 'continent' command was already working and usable. In province scope, the trigger 'continent = x' returns true or false based on the arrays defined in continent.txt.

Many thanks for this Korbah! We don't actually have any sea provinces on province.bmp; will this cause problems?

I'm not sure, according to Luca in post #2 you need to have at least one portage defined though I'm not sure if this applies to maps without any seas or not (it's quite possible it does).

"Thirdly, de jure Duchies now require de jure Kingdoms."
That's just terrible :/
In SWMH the central African provinces are kingdom-less so people don't get silly dejure claims and such. And in PB+SWMH, I specifically check for the lack of a kingdom in order to prevent a number of different wars so there's less silly expansion into those areas.
Requiring kingdoms sort of breaks that.

In SWMH the central African provinces are kingdom-less so people don't get silly dejure claims and such. And in PB+SWMH, I specifically check for the lack of a kingdom in order to prevent a number of different wars so there's less silly expansion into those areas.

I thought in SWMH all those oases have an uncreatable kingdom each?

I also can't start one of my mods... It's crashed add "loading CALC_NAVAL". But I have three sea provinces in the map. Whats the problem?

Make sure to follow all the steps in the first post, also make sure you've already updated other parts of the mod (defines.lua for example). Double check your adjacencies to make sure none of them are crossing over wrong terrain types (portage should go sea-to-sea over land, major river/sea crossings should be land-to-land over sea/river).

Yeah, having to have a kingdom sucks. Can you put a duchy inside an empire, at least?
The thing is that the game crashes when you switch to the dejure kingdom map. So putting it inside an empire instead probably wouldn't solve it.

I thought in SWMH all those oases have an uncreatable kingdom each?

Before 2.7, yes. After 2.7 they simply don't have a kingdom at all.

I some ways, having no kingdom would be more correct; but wouldn't an uncreatable (placeholder) kingdom solve these problems? Or will people still get a claim on an uncreatable kingdom?

I some ways, having no kingdom would be more correct; but wouldn't an uncreatable (placeholder) kingdom solve these problems? Or will people still get a claim on an uncreatable kingdom?
The thing is that it was really simple to check for "kingdom = { always = yes }".
With one-county kingdoms it becomes a lot more difficult to check for, since Venice as well for example is a one county kingdom, and Genoa often becomes one through dejure drift.
I guess I'll have to ask the SWMH to define those areas as a "continent".