• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I *am* referring to his backhand blow. Like I said, I've never had to try it. I've noticed though that the AI is a fairly careful offensive general, not letting the advance troops get too far advanced. So maybe it wouldn't work. But your experience might suggest otherwise.

The Battle of Kharkov (15 November – 4 December)

Spurred on by the success of Third Panzer Army and the capture of so many Red Army troops, Field Marshal Blaskowitz ordered for something to be salvaged from the wreck of Operation Clockwork. Kharkov, believed to be one of the major industrial sites still within Soviet hands in the Ukraine and the location of the infamous tank building Kharkov tractor factory, was to be the goal. The capture of the city should inflict heavy losses and deal an industrial blow to the Soviet regime.

Due to the nature of the fighting that had thus far took place, there was little in the way of any organized armies operating on the front. Rather, a mixed bag of infantry and panzer divisions (along with some Waffen-SS units) were assembled to the north of the city. The plan was to secure the river line to the north of the city, then advance south to clear the western suburbs before finally launching an attack on the city itself. Doing so would limit the number of locations that the Red Army could counterattack from, and therefore avoid a repeat of the fighting for Kursk. On the 15th, with minimum artillery support, the battle began.

Infantry advance through one of the Kharkov suburbs.​

Considering the heavy fighting that had taken place recently to just advance a few miles, the initial attack was an overwhelming success. The Red Army was soon streaming across the Kharkov River in disarray. Captured prisoners revealed that the supply situation in the region had collapsed. Frontline formations were not being issued with enough supplies or ammunition. This explained the rapid progress to the river. With this information in mind, the various panzer divisions were ordered forward as fast as possible to launch the assault south to clear the suburbs. Likewise, this attack was over quickly and a spectacular success. To the west, all available infantry was ordered to attack with the intention of driving the frontline further south to straighten it out and in the long run reduce how many troops would be needed to man it.

Infantry and armored vehicles push further into the city.​

On the 26th, with the western suburbs in our hands and fighting raging across the front, the final assault on the city was launched. What was expected to be a quick battle, due to the rapid success achieved just prior, turned into a prolonged and somewhat bloody battle. The Red Army had managed to resolve their supply situation, and the troops in the city put up stiff resistance to ensure major industrial sites could be dismantled for transfer or destroyed. Mixed groups of infantry and panzergrenadiers pushed into the city capturing it one bloc at a time.

It took a further eighth days of fighting to complete the conquest of the city. Several thousand more men were killed, although Soviet losses were placed at over 10,000. Due to the method used to assault the city, no large haul of prisoners was taken. The fall of Kharkov marked the end of Operation Clockwork, and the end of the fighting during 1944. With the fighting over, attention turned towards 1945. Thousands of air craft started to land in the airstrips around the city, and the order was given to establish launch sites for V-1 bombs nearby.

Last edited:
Operation Clockwork: conclusion

Operation Clockwork had been originally envisioned as an operation with no real objective other than an advance on the Donets River. It transformed into an operation intending to push the Soviets out of the Ukraine, and in doing so capture the remaining six major industrial centers. It also intended to clear the southern flank and capture the Russian city of Kursk. During the course of the fighting the latter two goals were achieved, and three of the six industrial centers captured although the Donets was not reached. The operation achieved mixed results, and cannot be seen as a complete failure.

The operation came close to being a complete success. The breakout from the bridgehead across the Dnieper resulted in the panzer armies advancing further north than planned, aiming for the Russian city of Orel rather than Kursk. This resulted in the advance becoming overstretched and allowing the Red Army the time needed to rally their forces and dig-in. The loss of momentum stalled the offensive and necessitated a bloody battle for Kursk that exhausted our forces. Meanwhile, our southern armies attempting to advance on Rostov were repulsed and thrown back.

Yellow: the frontline at the start of 1944
Green: the planned extent of Operation Clockwork
Green stars: the captured industrial sites of the Ukraine (the southern star includes two sites)
Red stars: industrial sites intended to be captured, but still in Soviet hands
Orange star: Orel, not an objective of the operation but the goal of the panzer advance. Not captured.​

The manpower shortage and the advanced planning that had started for the 1945 campaign curtailed the resumption of the operation on the whole, it is possible that had the offensive not lost the initiative or had been resumed all planned objectives could have been sized. Instead, the troops were ordered to work towards gaining a suitable launch-pad for the 1945 offensive. This meant the capture of the forest area west of Orel in the southern part of the Bryansk Oblast, between the Desna and Oka Rivers. Most of the forest was captured before weather forced an end to hostilities. While some sections of the forest remain in Soviet hands, the 1945 offensive can start with an attack on the plains beyond the forest.

Bryansk Oblast.​

Operation Clockwork resulted in the loss of 292,092 men, yet another high price paid for partial success and not brining the Soviet Union to her knees. The Soviets, once more, lost around one million men. 575,168 battles casualties were suffered by the Red Army, and a further 404,112 prisoners of war were taken. The prisoner tally would suggest the loss of only 44 complete divisions from the Red Army order of battle, however it is believed over 50 were actually captured. Twenty-three divisions were confirmed destroyed during the latter part of the operation, at least six were lost in Kursk, and an estimated thirty were destroyed during the opening stages of the operation up to the capture of the Crimea. Regardless of this success, the intelligence service (growing stronger, within the Soviet Union, by the day) suggests that the Red Army now includes over 500 divisions, but concede that this includes army and corps headquarters units. If the Red Army is organized like our own, that could mean only 300 frontline divisions and 200 various administration units although that is wishful thinking. The Red Army therefore contains between three and five million soldiers.

The major issue is the Reich’s pool of manpower. During most of 1944, the monthly intake of conscripts was 21,000 men. Due to various advances in technology freeing men up from other work and lowering the conscription requirements, by the end of the year the monthly draft had been increased to 24,000 men. However, at present the military is forecasting the need of 43,000 men per month to replace losses. Furthermore, with the average yearly loss on the Eastern Front being 325,000 men, the war is unsustainable as the available number of men of military age has dwindled to 280,000. The war is unsustainable. The High Command, unsure on what measures to take, have suggested – but have not yet implemented – cutting the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine off from new recruits as well as halting the reinforcement of any division not in combat (although when this was last implemented, during Operation Barbarossa, this resulted in garrison divisions across France and the Reich being slowly drained of their strength). Further suggestions include the introduction of new medical facilities and first aid procedures to attempt to reduce the loss of men to sickness, save lives, and return the lightly wounded back to their units. At any rate, if the 1945 offensive does not succeed there is no way an offensive war can be sustained against the Soviet Union.

Could you give us a quick rundown of your OOB on the Eastern Front? Infantry, Panzer, Mot., Pzr Gr. Divisions. Fighters, Bombers, etc.

*Also, what is your technological state at in key areas (tanks, infantry, air)? What are you building right now? What is your available IC?

*edit

Last edited:
My order of battle is in complete disarray at the moment as I am in the process of reorganizing and assembling my forces for my offense of Moscow. I am basically massing everything I have for the final knockout punch. With that said, I have the following on the Eastern Front (if I have not miscounted):

28 static/garrison divisions (two regiments each) and 30 infantry divisions (all of two regiments) manning the front and cannot be utilized.

108 infantry divisions (a mixture of 2 and 3 regiment sized formations) available for offensive operations (a few more divisions might become available as I decrease the size of a few more needed to hold the frontline).
36 panzer divisions
14 motorized or panzer grenadier divisions (a mixture in size too)
3 airborne divisions
2 mountain divisions

24 wings of light fighters
16 wings of heavy fighters
16 wings of light bombers
20 wings of medium bombers

My IC is 0/255/344. I am a few levels below what I need to be able to produce atomic weapons, and thus I see the nuclear facilities as my long term ace in the hole. I have been building the militia units to relieve my infantry and static divisions in the west and on anti-partisan duties, so they can be transferred east. It also providing me with a mobile anti-partisan force so i could relieve cavalry divisions to be sent east to act as anti-partisan forces. Hence why I have 28 static divisions now on the frontline, them in turn relieving combat divisions and increasing the number available to fight.

Upgrades and reinforcements are both set at 75 per cent, and consumer goods is so high at the moment to decrease my dissent and can be lowered in about a week or so.

Infantry/armor/air tech:

Doctrine and industry tabs (First aid and combat medicine are next on my list to research. Agriculture finishes in a few days (it was this technological advance I made mention of in my last update that gave me an increase in manpower) and then I will be letting that carry on research to the next level):

Last edited:
108 infantry divisions (a mixture of 2 and 3 regiment sized formations) available for offensive operations (a few more divisions might become available as I decrease the size of a few more needed to hold the frontline).
36 panzer divisions
14 motorized or panzer grenadier divisions (a mixture in size too)
3 airborne divisions
2 mountain divisions

Really, that should be more than enough to encircle some Soviets - I know you've tried before, but concentrate those Panzers in one devastating attack, follow up by motorized units, follow up by infantry, hook around the Soviets, and encircle them. You have 150 high-quality divisions!

I didn't before hand. I have put as many static divisions on the front and finally gave in and dragged some allies in. The all or nothing punch will be aimed directly at Moscow, although I am currently reorganizing my forces. I have my troops in a, what I consider to be, standard army of four corps each with three divisions. It would seem I will have Nine and half infantry armies, perhaps ten by the time I am through, and my five panzer armies (containing anything on wheels). It would seem I have assembled overkill.

Moscow is fairly close, and it would seem I have enough men left over to attempt to encircle the entire central front. I have a guestimate of 150 AI divisions their ... a quarter of their army perhaps? For the first time in a while, I feel optimistic. It may be possible to pull off a reverse Operation Bagration! But I feel I have to go for Moscow: now or never.

Still ... the manpower situation is extremely worryingly. The HPP mod has gave me a combined bonus of 145 per cent on manpower at the moment due to the recent tech advance. Awaiting further advance I have dropped my reinforcement slider to zero to slowly build up my manpower for the moment. I have left the agriculture tech continue to research, and I have started work on First Aid and Combat Medicine. The latter two will be done by April, and the agriculture research by May.

What I am about to write should be considered in light of me never having played HPP so these comments may not apply:
-I was a bit surprised to see that you are somewhat behind on armor tech. Especially since it is your main assault and encirclement weapon.
-Equally, I was surprised to see the lack of artillery development. I always have SP arty in my armored divisions. And my typical infantry corps: 3X(2 Inf, 2 Arty), 1x(2 Inf, 1 Arty, 1 AT). With these infantry corps each corps can hold 2 provinces and having one AT brigade means each corps has flexibility to withstand an armored attack. Maybe HPP makes these types of divisions weak...Having divisions like these in vanilla makes a breakthrough fairly quick and easy because they pack a massive punch.
-I can't comment on the doctrines. But in vanilla I tend to spread out my research into land doctrines fairly well as Germany. Most doctrines give me good benefits.

But I'd focus on getting the armor techs up to date. It's probably too late to research & build Arty at this point unfortunately.

My $0.02

I have slowly played through to Feb '45 reorganizing my forces. In that time, most of my armor tech has caught up and I am busy upgrading my divisions. Gun and armor are now level 5, and the tank engine should catch up in the next few months. The advance in gun and armor has unlocked reliability, which is now being researched too.

With the HPP mod, it does away with the Arty and AT brigades and role them all into one: the support brigade. My mobile divisions all have the motorized or mechanized version of this, and the vast majority of my infantry divisions have the horse drawn version. In the two months between the screenshot and now, my heavy arty has gotten up to date but everything else is still lagging behind a little ... but I am working on it.

HPP has no vanilla support brigades. In stead, they have a combined support unit that has elements of all 3 major supports (art, at, aa). They come in 3 classes: horse (infantry speed), truck (mobile forces) and mechanised (armoured support brigades).

@enigmamcmxc: Do you have any transport planes? Airborne forces can be used to help close any encirclement. How much damage is the Red Air Force doing? Can you do anything do minimise their bombers' damage? I don't have to tell you how to maximize firepower, minimize actual combat time. Maybe look at your commanding officers? It's very easy to overlook some of the excellent leaders coming out in later years of the war.

I have taken you up on your advise there misterbean, I have just unassigned everyone and started the process of assigning the best leaders for the job. In part to take advantage of new leaders and also since numerous divisions have been sitting on defensive missions or in the west and thus had lower ranked leaders to free up better ones.

I have found that an all out air offensive and several days worth of fighter sweeps over the AI airfields essentially knocks out the AI air force. But in doing so, it saps the strength of my own forces and long term air superiority missions seem to just waste my strength. It is going to be all balls out so I should be able to gain complete control of the air for the first week or so, then it will be a attritional battle.

On everyone's advise, I have just placed by transport planes in Kharkov and ordered by airborne divisions there too. From there they have the range to conduct any mission across the central front.

I don't know how doable it might be in-game, but Kesselring's strategy of Kampfgruppen in Italy might work here as well: regroup the most intact brigades into divisions, and the really badly mauled brigades into other divisions, and allow them some R&R. Even a few days might work wonders.
beyond that, you mainly need some luck.

Interlude: The Axis powers and the Second World War

With the realization that the Reich lacked the strength to defeat the Soviet Union by herself and coupled with a growing manpower issue, discussions were opened with the Axis powers of Europe. It was made clear that if the Reich failed, Europe would be engulfed by the Red menace. As the powers of Europe had signed the anti-comintern pact and were already at war with the Soviet Union, the initial discussions was more of a set of demands. The Axis powers were demanded to provide troops for the Eastern Front. They refused.

Due to the pro-Russian population of Bulgaria, their government declined to deploy troops to the east as it would cause undue unrest and could possibly result in civil war. Galeazzo Ciano, the Italian foreign minister and acting on behalf of Mussolini, revealed the Italian military weakness following the disastrous campaigns in Africa. The army consisted of less than one million men - a far cry from the 8 million bayonets Mussolini had once bragged about - and most were tied down still fighting in Greece. Furthermore, due to the prolonged war Italy was suffered from their own manpower problems and Ciano confessed that the 'Comando Supremo' did not believe prolonged resistance could be offered if the Western Allies launched an invasion.

Jumping upon the present weakness of the Reich, the French, Hungarians, and Slovakians all offered to provide troops, but under various conditions. The Slovakians, ecstatic to be free of the bondage of Czech oppression, were more than willing to provide troops to ensure the Soviet Union did not absorb their fledging country, but under the condition that the Reich would guarantee their independence in the post-war world and ensure that they were not attacked by Hungary. With these terms agreed to, the First and Second Slovakian armies (14 divisions totaling 162,000 men) were placed under our control and in early October, they boarded trains for the frontlines.

In late October, the French opened negotiations. Meeting at the Palace of Versailles, our diplomats were determined to create a treaty that would destroy the legacy of the previous Treaty of Versailles and ensure if anyone ever uttered those three words it would be in reference to the lasting peace between a dominate Germany and a submissive France. What post-war France would look like was under discussion. It was made clear to the French, that the Reich had no interest in the French colonial empire, and granted the French could liberate it from the Anglo-American imperialist-capitalist aggression; it would be left as it was. If the Reich would deploy troops to aid in the liberation was left open, and talk of commitments were avoided. The French argued for the restoration of all their territory in return for the deployment of their troops. This was outright rejected. After much back and forth discussion, with the French being politely reminded of their weakness and their need for German protection, the French submitted. It was accepted that the Reich would retain Alsace and Lorraine (territories illegally occupied by France following the conclusion of the First World War), that the steel producing region around Briey would be absorbed into the Reich along with a coastal strip running from Dunkirk to Boulogne-sur-Mer (to be able to prosecute the war against the British and ensure that in the future the British would not be able to blockade the Reich nor have undisputed control over the "English" Channel) and a land connection linking all these areas together. The French hesitantly agreed. However, due to the small size of their military and the need to keep a strong force present to deter further Anglo-American aggression, they could only assemble a force of six divisions (in total, 67,000 men) to be deployed as an expeditionary force. While this force would be under direct German control, they also agreed to dispatch light and medium bombers under the condition they remained under direct French command.

The Hungarians were the last to make an agreement. In November, in the Hungarian capital, the Treaty of Budapest was signed. The Hungarians essentially wanted to reverse the Treaty of Trianon, which they had been forced to sign following the First World War. That treaty had taken Hungarian lands and split them among the Austrians, Czechs and Slovakians, the Yugoslavians, and the Rumanians. In light of our agreement with the Slovakians, the Hungarians were made aware that they would not be allowed to advance north. They acknowledged the independence of the Slovakians, accepted Austria had willingly - and of their own free will - merged with the Reich and the rest of their ethnic kin, and also recognized the Italian domination of much of the Balkans. The Hungarians clarified their position: they wanted German support in retaining their Yugoslavian occupation zone in the post-war world, and wanted German aid in a future invasion of Rumania to forcibly retake their land. The Rumanians, the Hungarians argued, had no right to so much of their territory and they wanted it back. In turn, they suggested a German occupation zone in Bessarabia stretching south to the major oil fields, leaving a rump state closer to the Black Sea. Their proposal was accepted. By the end of the year, the First and Second Hungarian armies (23 divisions, with 235,000 men) and two security-cavalry divisions (18,000 men) had been transferred to the frontlines. The Third and Fourth Hungarian armies were retained by the Hungarian High Command for defense of the country – against possible Rumanian attack – and for action in the Balkans supporting the Italians although these forces were comprised of largely second line and static formations.

Green line = proposed new borders of Hungary
Blue areas within the Green Line indicate Yugoslavian lands currently occupied by Hungarian forces​

The Finns, not part of the Axis or an anti-comintern member, had lost a lot of territory to the Soviets during the Winter War. Their democratic National Coalition Party expressed an eagerness to restore their lost land, but refused to open negotiations on the subject of them joining the war as co-belligerents. They did, however, open high-level military discussions and highlighted the possibility of discussing their possible role in the war at a future date. Their military consisted of 128,000 men with the vast majority in eleven combat ready divisions, although three are extremely understrength. While a small force, their high command expressed the opinion that with the Soviet attention firmly on the German military, they would be able to liberate their lost land and tie down Red Army formations from interfering with any of our plans.

Due to the frontline having pushed closer to Russia, Army Group South Ukraine was designated 'Army Group F' (F standing for Foreign). As the French, Hungarian, and Slovakian armies arrived on the front, they were assigned to this army group. Slovakian troops were deployed to the various ports along the southern coast, took up positions in the Crimea and along the southern edge of the front. The small French force was deployed to their north, and the Hungarian armies were deployed along the flanks of the bulge created by Operation Clockwork. As these forces arrived, German forces departed. Three armies and numerous static divisions were released from the south by this move and Army Group North Ukraine was able to concentrate its forces in the Kursk region. However, the disposition of these expeditionary forces was purely defensive. They were spread out to man the frontline, and thus unable to take on offensive actions.

I see Operation-Uranus like deployments, enigmamcmxc! Of course, the AI is too stupid to make use of these weaknesses in your lines, so it might be a good tactic after all.
Other than that, the French really got the better end of the deal here. 6 divisions for that swathe of territory? I'm surprised!

Also, nice update: I love your maps!

Very nice....I always wished that HOI3 would be updated to allow for Axis control of satellite states (German control of Hurgarian, Rumanian, Italian forces, etc).....but then I am a micromanager and love to tinker with details during battles.....I just dont like the way HOI3 allows very minor control of units given to Germany...but seems HPP does allow it? This will be interesting to see if the AI does attack your Army Group F instead of regular Wehrmact units...............

Great AAR so far! I like it how you plan your attacks with the drawn out maps (and the names you give them).
I am not familliar with the HPP modification, but if it gives you these events to straighten the borders in exchange for expeditionary forces it's great. Will it be enough to conquer Moscow and trigger a peace event? I hope you make it, because you really need to end this war because of the manpower shortages!

The mod may be good, but the expeditionary forces was me being a little creative and the post-war borders will be me being anal and editing my savegame (unless their is an easier way)!

I have slowly but surely replaced every infantry division on the frontline with my expeditionary forces or my freed up static divisions. With only 20 divisions unable to be freed up, that means I have concentrated practically my entire army in the 'Kursk salient' for the upcoming battle. Previously, I would have been pessimistic due to the number of troops the computer has or the resistance I have faced. Now, however, I have to say Moscow is all but a certainty! I have 120 infantry and 51 mobile divisions sitting less than 200 miles from Moscow, and I penetrated that kinda distance in my 1944 offensive with a fraction of that force. I think I may finally win.

@Gen Marshall and KLorberau:

I hadn't thought of the crapstorm the Germans had gotten into due to their allies being used as flank protection. I am hoping they do not increase their attacks now. So far, I have just had a few minor attacks, but these seem to be just the small raids I was dealing with before where they randomly throw a single division at you.

I never dealt with expeditionary forces in vanilla HOI3, so I do not know if the way they are now is normal. I can reorganize the corps and armies as I please, although I cannot reorganize the divisions themselves.