• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Actually, those are Finnish troops. That's a Suomi he's holding ;) And they're wearing Finnish summer tunics.

I found that they are probably from Light Detachment 4, but other than that nothing. Any idea what is with the skulls?

The breakout battle (20 July – 20 August)

The fighting for the bridgehead had ended during the early hours. Throughout the morning, the final convoys of trucks and tanks belonging to the Sixth SS Panzer Army crossed the Dnieper and into the bridgehead. By early afternoon, the Waffen SS were once again leading the assault. The full weight of the panzer army struck north to secure the northern boundary of the assault. Their mission was to reach the southern banks of the Desna River. With the river line in our hands, an advance east could be undertaken with the northern flank secure. The attack made initial progress, but soon bogged down against determined Soviet resistance.

Meanwhile, the other panzer armies were steadily flowing into the bridgehead. On the 22nd, the 1st Panzer Army was ready and launched an attack due east. After only two days of fighting, they had punctured the Red Army line of defense. The Second, Third, and Fourth Panzer Armies exploited and pushed further ahead. In the wake of the panzers came the infantry, moving as fast as they could to relieve the panzer divisions to allow the advance to resume. Once the tanks had been refueled, and before the infantry had even caught up, they were on the advance again. The Red Army was unable to cope with the pressure. Infantry launched attacks to clear out the bunkers south of the penetration, and nine days after the offense started the SS finally secured the river line.

The frontline, 26 July​

In the opening days of August, the Fourteenth Army (on the southern flank) resumed their offensive adding to the Soviet’s misery. While progress was slow, since there were no tanks to spare to exploit the success, the infantry were taking ground. Meanwhile, the main attack had made rapid progress. Numerous Red Army formations had been overrun, although few prisoners had been taken, and the entire Soviet defense appeared to be crumbling. As more infantry was needed to hold what had been gained, and too many infantry were divisions were currently tied up fighting, the airborne corps was ordered to board trains and make for the battle zone as a strategic reserve was no longer needed and the opportunity for insertion behind the lines became increasingly unlikely.

The frontline, 6 August

Orange: 1st Panzer Army. Green: 4th Panzer Army
Blue: 2nd Panzer Army. Cyan: 6th SS Panzer Army. Blue-Grey: 3rd Panzer Army​

16 August, a landmark day for the Kriegsmarine. The submarine fleet sunk their one hundredth vessel of the year. The campaign started just before New Year’s Day. Within just eighth weeks, 50 merchant vessels from the British Empire had been sunk. The campaign then dipped as Anglo-American patrols increased. However, the decrease in naval patrols over the summer allowed for the campaign to resume. The day also marked the creation of the first Luftwaffe field division. The Luftwaffe had rapidly increased in size over the past few years, and in the early summer it was decided to trim some of the fat. Those who were deemed in excess of requirements were sent to be retrained as infantry and security personal as the intended role of the divisions was to supplement the security forces (in areas such as Denmark and Bohemia etc) rather than fight on the frontline.

Worrying development. American troops aiding the Greeks.​

As Operation Clockwork proceeded, it was eventually realized that by following the River Desna the entire attack was drifting further north than planned. As a result, the panzer force was having less and less effect as they became further separated. By the 20th, a month following the breakout, much had been captured. Yet, extremely frustrating, the Red Army has managed to congeal the frontline. The panzer attack had been blunted a mere 40 miles away from Kursk and 50 miles from Kharkov, both major objectives of the original plan. The First Panzer Army, who had been inadvertently pushing for Orel, was still around 90 miles away. Finally, the Third Panzer Army had made practically no progress during the entire month. Casualties had been high, but the Soviet losses were even higher.

The frontline, 20 August​

That's a big salient. Blasted pesky Russians. Always getting some backbone just when you want them to roll over and play dead. Swing the tanks south and bag those south of your offensive.

I wish I shared your optimism, perhaps you will share my pessimism after the following update!

I couldn't go along with your suggestion, due to just finishing up the next month of gameplay. Rather I went east towards Kursk. Those guys in the south, I did attempt to bag, with one of my panzer armies ... it failed. I am a little unsure what to do next. Those AI troops sitting there next to the Dnieper do offer a juicy target, but I don't know if I should go for Kharkov and deny the Soviet AI a few more precious IC points. At any rate, my troops are worn out ... I may not be able to do either.

The Battle of Kursk (1 September – 3 October)

During the final days of August, the various panzer armies continued to push forward in an attempt to straighten the frontline. The 1st Panzer Army attempted, in vain, to kick start the advance towards Orel once more. With our tanks hitting a wall of anti-tank guns, dug-in infantry and hull down tanks, the attacks were called off. Infantry were ordered forward to hold the line, and the panzers withdrawn in preparation to capture one of the original objectives of Operation Clockwork: Kursk. The start date for the battle was set for 1 September, this allowed for the men to rest and for additional infantry to be brought forward.

Meanwhile, in the south near the Dnieper, 3rd Panzer Army had repeatedly failed to break through. The Soviets were perhaps showing themselves to be in dire straits, or showing an evolved strategic outlook at the war. They gave up the heavily fortified position of Chornobia without a fight, which was rapidly occupied by our infantry. Likewise, they abandoned the city of Zaporizhzhya – on 15th Army’s front – without a shot being fired and were pulling back rather than fighting the infantry in the south when attacks were launched.

The plan of action for the Battle of Kursk​

On 1 September, the Battle of Kursk began. Far beyond the range of aerial support, rather brute strength and speed would be relied on to achieve success. The attack would be launched by three wings, with the ultimate objective being for the two flanks to encircle the city. The northern attack was launched by the 2nd and 4th Panzer armies. In the center, a massed infantry force would support 1st Panzer Army in the frontal assault towards the city. In the south, 6th SS Panzer Army would launch the other flank attack.

All assault units met with heavy resistance, but in just three days – making up for their poor showing during the breakout battle – the Waffen SS punched through the Red Army lines. The Panzer Lehr Division – an independent army panzer division but supporting the SS – pushed on through exploiting the success and reached the outskirts of Kursk on the 5th of the month. The following day, the central front collapsed under the weight of the infantry attack. The 1st Panzer Army pushed forward, but then spent the next nine days involved in a brawl with Soviet units. After the Red Army retreated into the city, the 1st Panzer Army moved to reinforce the Waffen SS and carry on the drive to complete the southern pincer of the city.

On 8 September, Rudolf Hess - without permission - flew to Scotland. He left no note explaining his traitorous actions.
The British police immediately arrested him, and his capture was made public news. His crashed plane is seen in a British propaganda newspaper photo.​

In the south, back near the Dnieper, the 3rd Panzer Army finally admitted defeat. The entire force had exhausted itself attempting to create a smaller pocket than originally envisioned during the breakout battle. The Red Army was just too firmly dug-in. Around Kursk the 2nd and 4th Panzer armies finally broke through and then struck south to aid the embattled 1st and 6th Panzer Armies. The result was, after 22 days of fighting, the city of Kursk was finally surrounded. At 1600 hours, on the 22nd, the final assault to take the city was launched.

The frontline on 12 September, showing the four panzer armies driving to encircle the city.​

The Red Army responded immediately. Within hours, over a quarter of a million Soviet troops were assaulting the entire frontline around Kursk. Fighting was heavy. Heavily armored Red Air Force ground attack bombers swooped across the length of the front. Thousands of T-34s rushed forward. Artillery pulverized the earth. Infantry assault after infantry assault was launched. The Red Army was launching another epic rescue attempt for their trapped comrades.

A photo developed from the camera of a captured Soviet soldier, depicting one of the counterattacks launched.​

For eleven days, the infantry and panzergrenadiers barely held the line. Tanks battles were being waged on a daily basis and our artillery gave as good as they received. The few troops not on the frontline around the edge of the pocket, were utilized in a bloody street fight to destroy the eight Red Army divisions trapped within the Kursk. Finally, on 3 October the Soviet garrison – or what was left of it – surrendered. With their comrades gone, the counterattacks ceased. The battered remains of the panzer armies - the men exhausted and missing hundreds of tanks and vehicles lost in the fighting - withdrew and were replaced by equally worn out infantry. The Battle of Kursk had claimed over 75,000 German soldiers, but had inflicted around 200,000 casualties, including around 70,000 who had been captured.

Smoke plumes rise in the background, marking the furthest point the Red Army tanks came towards this detachment of German tanks​

That evening, the results of the battle were given to the commander-in-chief. On top of details from the front, were casualty reports and the latest intelligence briefing. Over the course of the year, the annihilated spy network within the Soviet Union had been slowly rebuilt. The information that they had to offer was devastating. Their reports indicated that the Red Army consisted of 461 divisions, or 4 million soldiers in the field. They went on to note that the Soviet Union had completed a new census, and had identified six million men who could be called up to military service. The spy network had also infiltrated factories and the communist economic agency responsible for industrial output, the information gathered suggested that the Soviet Union had an industrial capacity double to that of our own [Soviet IC is over 400]. Their information indicated, rather than being slowly bled white, their divisions were at full strength and the number were rapidly increasing. The ability for the Soviet Union to absorb the losses inflicted upon them, had not been impaired contrary to what the High Command had believed for so long.

Operation Clockwork had thus far cost the lives of 260,970 German soldiers, and the number of available men to be called up to replace losses was now around the 700,000 mark. While new farming techniques and other means were being developed to limit the number of men needed for industrial and agriculture purposes and thus be freed up for the army, the nation lacked the means to compete with the Soviet Union. The current operation had resulted in the capture of 206,121 Red Army soldiers, with thousands more believed missing – presumed dead – after being overrun during the advance and not taken prison. The fighting had also claimed over 464,000 Red Army soldiers. That made a total of around four million Soviet casualties since the start of Operation Barbarossa, but with four million men still on the frontline and six million more to call up the losses that had been inflicted were insignificant. The commander-in-chief declared to the assembled staff, before storming out into a depressed seclusion, "How can we possibly win this war?"

The next day, another meeting was held. Rather than detailing the failures of the Eastern Front, this meeting was to discuss the progress of the various "wonder weapon" programs that were in development. Scientists informed the military that rockets, capable of striking targets at great range dubbed the "V-2", were currently being worked on but several months away from being put into production. Once in production though, the scientists promised a weapon that could strike Moscow from anywhere currently held. The most important project, the weaponization of atomic power, was declared - by the top scientist present - to be at least two years away. Research into atomic energy and its weapons capability had been ongoing for several years, but he noted what was currently holding up the project was the lack of a large enough reactor at the Dresden nuclear facility. While construction was underway, it would be at least a year and a half until the new facilities were up and running [level 5 reactor]. The meeting did end on a positive note. The first series of short range missiles, dubbed the "V-1", had just been completed. With more under construction, this left the question of where should they be fired at. Leningrad appeared to be the only worthwhile Soviet target that was within range, but then there was London ...

One of the new wonder weapons, the "V-1", being wheeled away from the factory.​

Great stuff! Despite your military successes, it seems that the economic aspects of war may bring about your eventual downfall.

It almost seems like you need to launch an all-out all-or-nothing assault against Moscow in the spring of 1944. Even if the odds are sharply against it, it seems that you are getting to the point where the war may not be winnable. I suppose an offensive to take over all of the Ukraine may be a decent (and more realistic) idea, too, as it would take away much of the Soviet Union's IC and food production. Or, you could just hope to hang on and await the "wonder weapons" and the atomic bomb to save you.

In any case, I love this! It's great to see a true struggle and your narrative history book-style is superb! :)

Thanks for the comments!

I do feel that the war with the USSR is now unwinnable. I had vain hopes I was bleeding them white, but finding out I am doing ... nothing ... its just argh! I think the best course of action at this time (I wont actually have time to play the game in the next week or so now due to the need to hand in assignments) is to chip away at what else I can before the muddy season, then over the course of the winter assemble everything I can for the drive on Moscow and attempt at the bitter peace. A grand encirclement battle with the southern army groups and army group center seems doomed to final ... so just a straight drive on the capital from near Kursk?

By the time spring 1945 rolls around, I should have been able to place a few militia units in France. With them there to counter any partisan risings, I think I can gamble and pull my panzer and infantry divisions out of France (leaving the garrison units obviously). Thinning the frontline out best I can should also provide me with a few extra divisions, and remove everything from the south that isn't needed to hold the territory already gained. I will be scrapping the barrel but I think I might just be able to pull together enough troops for the final push. If it fails ... the war is as good as over. I just wonder, considering the military strength, why the AI hasn't launched a massive counterattack?

that unit badge is actually really cool, especially if you're into heavy metal, like me.

Oh darn it!

First well-written historically plausible German gameplay AAR with a good chance of being finished I see in years, and I jump in on page 15...
Well, here we go, gotta read em' all!

I'm still hoping for a win. You just need bigger bag of cut off Russian units. Like 40-50 divisions. Not eight. Good luck.

Oh don't worry, this will be finished! Even if it involves the AI (with some pushing) laying siege to Berlin. But my last ditch 1945 offensive, I hope will bring about victory (fingers crossed).

I really did think that the fighting at Kursk would have brought a bigger haul, I was a little disappointed with the result of all the hard effort. Although, on a slightly positive note, the earlier fighting in the Crimea and at Kherson did bring about a slightly higher haul ... still nothing but a scratch on the Soviets.

A bitter victory or a valiant defeat? I can't decide which I want because both are such a rare treat! You're really inspiring me to finish my HOI game :)

Intermission and encirclement (4 October – 14 November)

In the days following the capture of Kursk, the news of the Red Army strength filtered down the ranks and a mood of depression crossed the front. The news was devastating to the exhausted infantry, and morale appeared to be at an all time low. To make matters worse, the Soviets felt no pity towards the drained landser and panzergrenadiers. Counterattack after counterattack was launched around Kursk, and in the south on the front of Fifteenth Army.

Due to the depleted moral, cohesion, and exhausted men, all offensive operations were called off so that the counterattacks could be fended off and the territory captured consolidated. Those divisions of the various panzer armies not holding the frontline were organized into adhoc 'fire brigade' units, and zoomed around the front halting the various Soviet attacks. After weeks of fighting, thousands dead and hundreds of tanks wrote off, the Soviet attacks to retake Kursk ended. The Red Army, apparently also exhausted, were content with a few tactical gains, but had failed to take the city. In the south, the Red Army had steadily pushed Fifteenth Army back. Our troops had attempted to conduct an organized fighting withdrawal, but as Soviet troops infiltrated behind their main position, a rout nearly occurred. Only through the timely intervention of a reserve division, and the skillful conduct of the main force resulted in the army extracting itself out of the trap before it was sprung. The withdrawal saw the army pushed back, near enough all the way back to its start line and most of the gains of the past few months lost. At times it seemed that the Red Army might have broken through resulting in the Fifteenth Army pushed beyond the Dnieper and the Twelfth Army cut off; but the men were able to finally hold the line and stop the attacks.

Infantry of Army Group North Ukraine dig in along the Desna River.​

With the Soviet counterattacks fought off, it was decided to attempt to improve our overall position. Third Panzer Army reported that they were now, after weeks of waiting and having replaced most of their men and material losses, combat effective. They were ordered to launch a renewed attack south to create the long awaiting pocket near the Dnieper. German and Soviet artillery thundered, ripping apart unprotected men, as infantry and panzergrenadiers forced their way through Soviet trench systems. Heavy Red Army anti-tank fire blazed away at the armored wedges of the panzers as they attempted to break through following the infantry success. The tenacious Soviet defense lasted until the 18th, when after so many attempts and so much time lost, the panzers finally broke through and reached the eastern bank of the Dnieper. Infantry followed in their wake consolidating the ground and to fight off the immediate Red Army counterattacks. The breakthrough had created the pocket envisioned during August. While the encirclement was not as large as would have been liked, the move had trapped at least 23 Red Army divisions.

Tanks and panzergrenadiers of Third Panzer Army during their advance towards the Dnieper.​

Sparked by the success of Third Panzer Army, Army Group North Ukraine went back onto the offense. Rather than attempting to achieve the objectives of Operation Clockwork, Field Marshal Blaskowitz – who was privy to the initial drafts of the upcoming plans for 1945 – ordered his forces to push towards the gap between the Desna and Oka Rivers and to retake the ground lost around Kursk. The Oka was soon reached, but an attempt to take Orel was repulsed. On the other hand, the lost ground was retaken and the frontline was pushed forward in several places.

For the next four weeks – 27 days – Third Panzer Army and a rag tag assortment of infantry divisions fended off intense assaults from the Red Army attempting to break through to their encircled comrades. Behind the frontline, another group of infantry divisions were assembled and used to assault the pocket. Attacking from the north they pushed the Red Army south towards the Dnieper. Slowly, and with much bloodshed, the Soviets were crushed against the anvil of the panzer army. After much effort and death, on 14 November, the remaining Red Army troops – having exhausted their ammunition – surrendered. Nearly 200,000 men were marched off into captivity.

Photograph published in the national propaganda newspaper depicting some of the many Soviet troops captured
upon the fall of the pocket.​

That's more like it! But you need evn more Ivans sent to POW camps. Keep the pressure up.

Unfortunately, that is the last major success of 1944 although as will be seen when I get the next update up there will be a few more tactical victories.

That haul of prisoners, by my reckoning, amounts to a mere five per cent of the Red Army's frontline strength ... absolutely nothing. If it that were any other country, that would have crippled their military (ala the loss of 400k British troops early in game. While my spies in the UK are very limited, they have continued to provide me with the same picture for the last several ingame years: less than 40 British divisions. My radar sites appear to let me view southern England and there is apparently only a handful defending the UK. If only I had a way of making a safe crossing.).

Is there any way you can set up a situation where you let them retake some ground, and then counter-attack? The purpose would be to try to separate faster units from slower units and destroy the fast ones. It's something like this that was envisioned by FM von Manstein for the summer of '43 in the south.

My idea would be to retreat 2-3 provinces behind a river so that when you counter-attack you won't first have to fight your way across a river. When you reconsolidate you do it on the river. I.e., your spearheads would aim for the river. That way, when they try to relieve the pocket *they* have to attack across a river.

Do you have paratroopers & transport planes? Could also help! :)

All of this might be a terrible idea...I've never really been in a situation where I might have had to try something like that.

Are you referring to his (in)famous backhand blow?

In regards to your suggestion, I wouldn't take it up just yet. Although I have tried something like that before, but not since the vanilla game so I am not sure if it would even work considering the modded game and the number of Soviet troops. At any rate, after a pretty prolonged battle in Belgium that was in deadlock, I pulled my entire (British) army back into France behind one of the rivers. This allowed the Germans to come pouring through the gap I created, since the French AI seem unprepared for such a move. As the AI attempted to block the position the Germans crushed them. The German AI advanced up to my position, stopped then headed south. I struck, rapidly advancing into their flank, cutting off their army and rolling through the Low Countries into Germany winning the war. The offensive destroyed everything before it and the French mopped up and advanced through the West Wall into Germany. I was unprepared for it, but such a move can work. :p

It is something I could possibly try if everything fails and I go onto the defensive. If I don't take Moscow in '45, I am going to do my upmost to make sure the Soviet AI goes on the offensive: even if that means switching behind both countries to keep putting the AI on the offense. At that point, something like this may inflict heavy losses on the AI.