• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There's two? :huh:
That's absolutely ridiculous. There is only one Springfield in the US, so why should there be two Manhattans?! Shame on your unoriginality, Patriots!

But eh... are you going to drop a hint about your secret project yet?

I hate to break this to you... there are probably about a dozen Springfields in the USA. I know, it's unfair. ;)

My project will be revealed for all to see... soon.

It is Saturday here in Australia. Update for antipodeans?

Chapter 6: The ducat and the dagger

7 March 1452, Schwaben

Maximillian III, König von Bayern, did his very best to look interested at the proceedings below him. While his wife, Brünnhilde, looked with rapt attention at the spectacles of the tournament, her husband's mind wandered. Maximillian had spent the last two years investing money into his kingdom; he'd spent countless ducats on workshops to help bolster the economy, while simultaneously eliminating the "gifts" previous rulers had given to the lords of Bayern.

nicetrynobles.jpg

When the Reichsrat had tried to demand "fair compensation" for the "injustice" of providing greater freedom to the subjects of Bayern, all Maximillian did was laugh. The Kaiser's decision to remove the Imperial Ban on the people of Schwyz did much to mitigate the damage of the nobles' revolt, of course.

schwabenisokay.jpg

Yet the years of peace had left the army soft, in the eyes of some of observers. The decision to hold a glorious tournament, reminiscent of the days of old, was inspired, and went a long way toward patching the egos of his noblemen as well as providing a recruiting tool for army officers.

lastjoust.jpg

All of this made sound fiscal and practical sense. Maximillian understood that. That did not change his opinion of the foolishness of the event. While everybody else watched the competition, Maximillian noticed a curious looking man who had approached every single nobleman who entered the tournament, whether they won or lost. He motioned to a courtier, who did his best to conceal his disappointment at being torn away from the festivities. "Yes, Your Highness?"

"Who is he?" Maximillian pointed right at the gentleman. He was dressed very oddly -- clearly a foreigner of some kind -- yet even for a foreigner he was odd. His clothing had outrageous colors that no self-respecting German would ever dream of wearing, and the amount of jewelry he wore nearly doubled him over. The courtier shrugged his shoulders, then at a nod from the König, ran down to bring him before the König. Up close, he was even more ridiculous, and his hat seemed to almost completely cover his entire head, not just the top. Maximillian repeated his question before the foreigner.

"My name, Your Highness, is de Vries. Frans de Vries. It is a great honor to be brought before such an august personage, particularly on this, the day of..." De Vries trailed off as he saw Maximillian spin his finger in a circle impatiently. "I, Lord and Master of All You Survey, am an international financier of the very highest order. I could have bought the Colossus of Rhodes for a pfennig and sold the moon to a drowning lamb." De Vries went on like this for some time.

Maximillian interrupted him with a cough. "Why are you here, bothering me and my lords?"

"I wish to interest you in an opportunity. None of your subjects have been interested in what I have to offer but you, you are much wiser than any mortal man."

"The offer?"

"A new world." For once, de Vries was not overly verbose.

"We have but one world, Dutchman. What nonsense are you spelling?"

"The lands across the ocean, König. They could all be yours, if you would but invest in my company."

"Lands across...? Are you out of your mind, man?" Maximillian laughed in derision.

"Not at all, sir. I have seen it for myself, with my own two eyes!"

Maximillian listened for a few more moments, then dismissed him. Frans de Vries, if nothing else, was persistent, and immediately buttonholed the next man he saw. Since that man was Stefan Urkelopopoulos, de Vries found himself in a much more wide ranging conversation. For the König, he glanced back at the tournament, applauded for a moment, then turned his thoughts back to improving his kingdom.

1 July 1454, Nürnberg

Ultimately, nobody bought into Frans de Vries' proposition, which was about as fraudulent as he was. No person of intelligence would ever dream there were lands across the ocean, and it was Frans's bad luck to end up in a place where stupid people were a scarce commodity. (Or, at least, stupid wealthy people.) He'd even found himself propositioned by Urkelopopoulos, who wanted de Vries to underwrite a gunpowder company. It was Frans's turn to laugh hysterically, but Stefan took it all in stride. Frans was about to leave Bayern for somewhere more stupid when he lucked into an even better position: the President of Bayern's National Bank died unexpectedly in late 1453. Frans talked his way into the position by playing up his non-existent banking background. (His actual experience consisted of knowing where the present bank was located, knowledge that was surprisingly rare.) As President of the Bank, de Vries literally sat on a gold mine, or at least the depository for a gold mine, and it was no great trouble to... expropriate more funding than was actually loaned out.

Othon de Châteaugris, Chancellor of the kingdom, approached de Vries's office with trepidation. He knew that accusing de Vries of fraud would be nearly impossible, but it was his job as Chancellor to at least investigate the claims. De Châteaugris had tremendous cachet with his brilliant diplomatic maneuvering, turning an insult into an easing of tensions throughout the region.

goodnewsvg.jpg

Especially important was the neighboring kingdom of Bohemia. Their heir had died in a horrible accident, and most of the kings of Europe had sent many a messenger in hopes of marrying the king's daughter and thus gaining control of the kingdom. Maximillian himself had tried to marry the young Princess to his son Theodor, but to no avail. Still, in a period of quiet and minimal glory, Othon was the closest thing Bayern had to a triumphant general. That meant he got difficult assignments like de Vries. After a few minutes of waiting, de Vries opened the door to his office and gestured Othon in.

Frenchman and Dutchman stared at each other, each trying to figure out what the other was hiding. Frans, with one of his immensely phony smiles, tried to break the ice. "Chancellor Othon, what a delightful and entirely unexpected surprise! It is not often that a man so prestigious as you visit my humble establishment!"

Othon couldn't help but notice the ever so slight emphasis on "unexpected." The Chancellor, seeing through Frans's bluster with ease, imperiously threw the latest economic reports in front of the bank's President. "Frans de Vries, might you explain these discrepancies in your bank's records?"

Frans de Vries made a great show of carefully studying the records presented in front of them, then turned a brilliant shade of red. "Why, of all people, you have the audacity to accuse me of fiduciary misconduct? This is the greatest miscarriage of justice that has ever occurred, and I will swear to that before God!"

Othon was not impressed. "De Vries, hundreds of ducats have disappeared since your Presidency began. You're either a fool or a criminal."

Frans thought about getting even angrier, but instead, sat back in his chair with a smirk. "Well, Othon, I'm no fool."

The elderly French Chancellor sputtered in rage. "So you admit your wrongdoing!"

"Oh, drop your act. It's my bank, and if you don't like what I'm doing, I hope to God that the König doesn't need a loan to fight Tirol."

De Châteaugris's mouth fell open. "You would blackmail Bayern?"

"No. I would blackmail you, my friend."

Othon gritted his teeth. This was not how he'd expected his investigation to go, not in the least. Yet Othon was in a very tough predicament, as he had borrowed money from the bank himself in an effort to build a nice home in München without his wife's knowledge. "What do you want?"

"Why, I want to get the bottom of this horrible crime as much as you do!"

"Try again, Frans."

"Very well. I propose that neither one of us wants word of this crime to get out."

"No."

"Then I offer you two alternatives. Give me the official approval to print money to cover the shortfall. That would increase inflation by about 5%."

"Or?"

"Give me 200 ducats right now."

Othon swore. When de Vries asked for money, that meant that Othon would have to disguise the payment as one from the crown to the bank, and there wasn't that much in the treasury. Frans knew that. In effect, Othon had no choice, and agreed to write a decree ordering the printing of money.

aproblemsolved.jpg

Othon did not look forward to telling the König, but he had to. Perhaps the knowledge of the kingdom's progress forward in technology would ease the pain.

techsandecon.jpg

7 October 1456, Württemburg, Tirol

Otakar von Erz was more frightened than he'd ever been in all the years he was persecuted. He trusted General Riedesel, to be sure, but he'd seen precious few battlefields in his life. When Schwaben was formally incorporated into the Kingdom of Bayern, Riedesel was the most prominent citizen from Memmingen, Schwaben's provincial capital. He'd served in the Kaiser's army for most of his life, and when the Kaiser lifted the ban on Schwaben, it was on condition that Riedesel be named Graf von Schwaben. For most people, such a politically motivated promotion would lead to ruin, but not for Riedesel. Schwaben quickly proved to be stable and profitable, and when the Marshal required a General, Riedesel was the first name on the list.

anewgeneral.jpg

A war against Tirol was Riedesel's chance to prove his appointment was no mistake.

tirolyetagain.jpg

But for Otakar von Erz, the war was terribly inconvenient. All Otakar wanted to do was accomplish his own mission; to serve as envoy to Köln in an attempt to convince the Elector to vote for Bayern as the new Kaiser of the Holy Roman Empire.

cologneu.jpg

Without eroding Bohemia's support, Bayern could never take its place at the head of the Empire. Köln was the friendliest Elector to Bayern apart from Österreich. Some gifts might convince the Elector to support Bayern instead of Bohemia. Yet the Archbishop there was a very difficult man to negotiate with. Every envoy the König had sent there before had returned empty-handed, when Maximillian III got the idea to send a fellow man of the cloth. The Archbishop agreed to meet with Otakar, but to get to Köln, Otakar had to follow the army. Now, instead of treating with an Archbishop, he was cowering for his life as the two armies clashed. He prayed to God every minute, hoping for deliverance in any possible way.

The General planned to oblige Otakar.

28 February 1458, Alzey, former Kingdom of Tirol

General Riedesel quickly proved himself the equal of any other General in the history of Bayern. He routed the entire Tyrolian army in two dramatic battles, culminating in the Battle of Fürstenburg.

nomorearmyfortirol.jpg

Although it took a few months to capture all of the Tyrolian fortresses, Riedesel did exactly that, and a harsh peace was exacted upon Tirol.

tiroldefeated.jpg

The new county of Alzey gratefully accepted their inclusion in the Kingdom of Bayern -- as if they had much choice. Othon de Châteaugris's victory at the diplomatic tables was just as impressive, effectively isolating Tirol from the rest of the Empire, preventing them from ever being a true threat again. According to the König, the next target was Cleves: not because of any strategic value, but because Odo Askanien had been spotted there, and the ruler of Cleves had refused even to speak with anybody who wanted to arrest him. The only way to get that information, it would seem, was by force.

19 May 1459, Köln

Otakar von Erz had spent just under three years in Köln, but without much success. The wars the kingdom had gotten into had prevented him from giving much in the way of gold to the Archbishop, and for most transactions, gold was the only way to get what you wanted. Two quick victories -- with new Duchies added to the Kingdom -- had done little to alleviate that problem.

clevesvassal.jpg

hannoverwin.jpg

A brief diversion to Pisa -- the Hohenzollerns had tried to press a claim to the Kingdom of Pisa, with no success -- did little to break up the monotony of his task. The Archbishop was very learned, and he and Otakar exchanged plenty of thoughts on various matters political and theological, but without real progress in relations. However, reports from the new Duchy of Hannover had begun to change the Archbishop's mind. Hannover had chosen to honor Cleves' call to arms, to their destruction and complete subjugation. While Köln was more formidable than Hannover and Cleves put together, the Archbishop was no fool. And so, out of the blue, the Archbishop proposed an alliance between Köln and Bayern. It wasn't enough to guarantee the vote, but it was at least enough to start moving in that direction.

Otakar von Erz certainly approved of anything that made his job easier.

24 August 1464, Nürnberg

Otakar's efforts did not go in vain, and after plenty of ducats made their way west, the Archbishop of Köln formally changed his vote to one for Bayern. The absorption of Pisa into Venice meant that Bohemia and Bayern were now tied; if Bayern could get the vote of Lorraine, they would become Kaiser after Jiri of Bohemia died.

twoelectors.jpg

Unfortunately, a clerk in the Chancellor's office got confused, and sent money to Alsace instead; the problem was corrected, but not until after a lot of ducats had changed hands. Another alternative -- a more violent one -- came when the Köonig found an ancient justification to create the Duchy of Baden. Baden had a powerful protector -- as one of the only Orthodox countries left in the Empire, Byzantium took a very dim view of anybody seeking to interfere with Baden's sovereignty -- and so Lorraine was considered a much safer bet. By 1463, efforts along both lines had progressed, but then the Commandant of Bayern died of a heart attack. The Master of Mint crowed a little too loudly about outliving his rival, and found himself in prison. In short order, the Kingdom had a new Steward and a new Commandant.

fillingthecabinet.jpg

newcommandant.jpg

Ludwig Riedesel was the General's oldest son, and one of the most brilliant financiers in the world. In addition to his new title as Steward, he also took over the presidency of the Bank of Bayern from Frans de Vries. The new Commandant, Johann Pfretschner, was also the Graf von Schwyz; he was good at his job, but young, as he was born in 1438. While all of this drama continued, the Kingdom grew in power and respect. Workshops were built in every province with a Constable, the better to concentrate production in the hands of the best and brightest individuals. Venice, as a measure of Bayern's growth, now felt threatened by Bayern and embargoed the Kingdom. However, one of those merchants embargoed died fortuitously (for Bayern) and granted a generous sum to his beloved Kingdom.

moreducats.jpg

Schwyz finally saw the end to her Imperial Ban, cementing Bayern's internal stability.

schwyzisgood.jpg

Everything was well prepared for Theodor's sixteenth birthday. As usual, Maximillian was not involved in the festivities, but Brünnhilde fell to the task with a will. She invited all of the Empire's most eligible bachelorettes to seek out a mate for her son. Frans de Vries served as master of ceremonies, for which he was adequately suited. (Not one single person commented on his quiet departure from his previous job, or the considerable sum he was given as a severance package.) Everything was perfect, and the delighted birthday boy had a fantastic time. He danced the night away, stuffed himself with the finest food money could buy, and yet managed to impress everybody with his erudition and charm. He was, in other words, the polar opposite of his father, who spent most of the party sitting in his office, working on reports. He was not missed.

As the evening wound down, Theodor found most of his guest disappearing. It was 10 PM, yet he wanted the party to continue, and when the Prinz wanted a party, he got one. The only other man up at that hour -- apart from the König -- was, of all people, the Chancellor. Othon de Châteaugris searched among the Prinz's gifts and came up with an extraordinary bottle of wine. Theodor, growing impatient, ripped off the card and threw it on the floor. Othon, chuckling at the impetuousness of youth, popped the cork and poured a glass for each of them. Othon raised his glass, proclaimed "To the Hohenzollerns! May they reign until Jesus returns to claim his earthly kingdom!", and quickly drank the glass. Theodor quickly followed suit, and the alcohol -- the first of his young life -- slid down his throat and warmed his belly.

Then, all of a sudden, Theodor felt very cold. As he fell to the floor, he first noticed that Othon had beat him to the floor, his eyes lifeless. The last thing Theodor spotted, as his soul departed for its heavenly reward, was the card he so eagerly threw on the ground:

To the Hohenzollerns. May you rot in Hell as you deserve.

It was signed "Odo III Askanien."

theodordead.jpg

Feels good to update again! I'm going to try to update at least once a week, as I said earlier, and I vow to continue to do that until I finish the AAR (unless something unforeseen happens, of course).

Last edited:
Steady expansion and plenty of plot intrigue. Hopefully the 7th elector (there are meant to be 7 right?) will be a friend rather than a foe. One quibble: Isn't Otakar meant to have been persecuted rather than prosecuted?

Steady expansion and plenty of plot intrigue. Hopefully the 7th elector (there are meant to be 7 right?) will be a friend rather than a foe. One quibble: Isn't Otakar meant to have been persecuted rather than prosecuted?

There's not necessarily a fixed number of electors, are at least there aren't in my game. Good catch on the typo. :)

My little fraud is certainly making a name for himself, isn't he? I laughed quite loudly when he tried to sell the new world to Maximilian. I'm glad he is finding Bayern sufficiently full of stupid people to pull off his schemes, and hopefully he'll be able to manipulate someone to help him get some revenge...

Also, very nice twist at the end there. I was not expecting the Askaniens to show up again. Sad that Othon died, but he was getting on in years anyway, wasn't he? Also, what were Theodor's stats anyway?

My little fraud is certainly making a name for himself, isn't he? I laughed quite loudly when he tried to sell the new world to Maximilian. I'm glad he is finding Bayern sufficiently full of stupid people to pull off his schemes, and hopefully he'll be able to manipulate someone to help him get some revenge...

Also, very nice twist at the end there. I was not expecting the Askaniens to show up again. Sad that Othon died, but he was getting on in years anyway, wasn't he? Also, what were Theodor's stats anyway?

His stats were in an earlier update; 9/3/5 from my screenshots.

I'd noticed Odo's machinations in a previous update, but things have gotten so busy that I haven't been able to follow like I'd wanted to. And now to see him inflicting his vengeance on the Hohenzollerns, repaying in part the debt carried across generations - it really does warm the heart.

The loss of a Chancellor and Heir at the same time may well imperil the kingdom for a time. I hope that there is, in turn, delicious vengeance against the slayer of children.

I'd noticed Odo's machinations in a previous update, but things have gotten so busy that I haven't been able to follow like I'd wanted to. And now to see him inflicting his vengeance on the Hohenzollerns, repaying in part the debt carried across generations - it really does warm the heart.

The loss of a Chancellor and Heir at the same time may well imperil the kingdom for a time. I hope that there is, in turn, delicious vengeance against the slayer of children.

Vengeance is most certainly on the menu; no worries about that.

Today and tomorrow are pretty busy; maybe an update tomorrow night, most likely Wednesday.

Chapter 7: The politics of revenge

30 August 1464, Nürnberg

It had been a few days since Prinz Theodor's untimely death, yet Brünnhilde's eyes were still red from crying. She cried not only for her fallen son, but for the unpleasant discovery she'd made about her husband.

He had absolutely no feelings about the subject.

In another era, Maximillian III would be labelled a sociopath, and that would be an accurate label. It wasn't that Maximillian was heartless or intentionally cruel; it was that human feelings simply did not enter into his decision making calculus. Only one thing drove the König von Bayern -- duty. The one value instilled in then-Prinz Max by his father was duty. He took the family oath very, very seriously, even if it meant others would think less of him. He honestly and truly could not feel sadness, or pity, or even rage at the events that had transpired. His thirst for vengeance was partially political -- the Askaniens could still be a threat to the Hohenzollerns -- and partially personal, but only in the sense that depriving him of a son deprived Bayern of a male heir. The memories of Königin Barbara were still readily apparent in the nation's history, even if nobody living recalled her reign. That meant there was a natural prejudice against female rulers, which effectively denied Brünnhilde her right to rule.

Brünnhilde attended the Reichsrat, sitting at her husband's left, and couldn't help but feel a mixture of hatred and envy towards the König. Hatred for his complete lack of feeling about the loss of his son -- envy because she did not have the same lack of feeling. With all the Grafen seated around the council table, Maximillian formally called for the session to begin.

"Grafen, we have business to conduct. First, I have named Otakar von Erz my new Chancellor." Maximillian's choice didn't surprise many; Otakar was the most deserving of the job. "He will make for Prague tomorrow."

Finally, whether he could help it or not, Brünnhilde couldn't take it any more. "And what about our son? What do we do about our dead son?!" She broke into tears again; the Graf von Leiningen tried to console her as best he could.

Maximillian stared at his wife with disinterest for a few moments, then continued as if she hadn't spoken. "Second, we must raise additional regiments. Marshal, that is your job." The Portuguese soldier nodded. "Finally, I have some news." Now, Maximillian stared at his wife again. "Odo Askanien is being sheltered by the Kaiser."

The room went completely silent. Finally, Brünnhilde stopped weeping. She looked up at the König. Defiantly, she asked "So?"

"This is why I have chosen Otakar. He is Bohemian, which means he can speak Czech, and more importantly distract the Kaiser from my true plan. Lorraine."

There were several nods at this; it made good sense. If Bayern could gain Lorraine's allegiance in the College of Electors, the Bohemians would lose the Kaiser's throne as soon as Jiri I died. When Maximillian was named Kaiser, he could then force the King of Bohemia to either release Odo into his custody or, at the very least, reveal Odo's location.

With orders issued, everybody separate to go their own ways. With the room empty, Maximillian spoke directly to his wife. "Are you prepared to do your duty as Königin?"

It took Brünnhilde a few moments to realize what Maximillian meant. Horrified, she shook her head violently. Maximillian nodded once and left, leaving her alone in the Reichsrat chamber.

She started crying again.

7 January 1468, Franken

Stefan Urkelopopoulos, with all of his love of gadgets, gaped as he watched the workers restore the old Roman temple to a fine new church, but intentionally mimicking the old temple's design. It was a work of art, but even more, an engineering marvel. Stefan excitedly took the Italian foreman aside.

"Signore, you are a wonderful architect! How did you manage to restore the stability of the columns so effortlessly?"

The two engaged in an animated discussion over methods of building. Stefan, wanting to impress the Florentine builder, went back to his shed to show the Italian that Greeks were just as inventive. The Florentine school had gotten a lot of attention and funding from König Maximillian's beautification projects -- in honor of Prinz Theodor -- and Stefan hoped to learn some new techniques himself.

supportingflorentines.jpg

Along the way, Stefan bumped into a diplomat from Lorraine. The Greek inventor bowed and smiled at the diplomat. The diplomat simply shook his head and muttered. More and more diplomats from Lorraine were visiting Bayern these days since the Elector had agreed to vote for Bayern in the upcoming elections for a new Kaiser.

threelectors.jpg

Stefan dug around in his shed, and triumphantly came up with the newest, most stable recipe of his gunpowder. He ran back to the temple, and when he finally got there, he tripped on a tree root. The gunpowder went flying through the air. Most of it harmlessly went into a nearby river.

Unfortunately, not all of it. A small portion got into a torch stand. The foreman screamed for his men to flee, and thankfully, they did, just before the temple itself exploded. As every eye turned towards the Greek, all he could say was "Did I do that?"

5 November 1471, Nürnberg

It was probably very normal for a newly employed diplomat to see some of his predecessors his first day in the job, thought Joseph Ludwig Chlingensperg. Of course, when that diplomat's head was impaled on a spike just outside the castle in which a new diplomat was to work, that was cause for concern.

newdiplomat.jpg

Chlingensperg was actually an Austrian, born and raised in Lienz. His family were minor nobility, but with ten brothers, Joseph had no real chance of inheriting the Barony. He'd gone into politics as soon as he could, and found himself elected Mayor of Lienz at the tender age of 22. He ran into Frans de Vries, and after handing over the city's treasury to the Dutch con artist, he was... encouraged to depart Österreich as quickly as he could. He'd lived in Bayern ever since -- that was in 1454. In the years following, he attended a university and began practicing law. He earned enough of a reputation that he was recommended as a new ambassador to replace the recently departed Wilhelm Rickauer. Joseph looked askance at the captain of the guard, who shook his head slightly.

Joseph expected to see some noble greet him, but found himself faced with Brünnhilde von Hohenzollern herself. She happily played with her young son, completely oblivious to Joseph's approach. He coughed softly, and the Königin whipped her head around and smiled. "Ah, the new diplomat. Welcome! Say hello, Wilhelm!"

wilhelmo.jpg

The young Prinz laughed as his glorious Bavarian knights smashed the nefarious enemy soldiers. Joseph noticed with some trepidation that the soldiers wore the white lion of Bohemia. "Your Highness, I am Joseph Ludwig Chlingensperg. May... may I ask about... ah..."

"Rickauer?" The Königin smiled nastily. "He was found to be in the pay of the Kaiser."

"I see."

"My advice to you? Stay away from Bohemia."

"Th-thank you, Your Highness."

29 October 1475, Nürnberg

While Maximillian had enormous difficulty with most human feelings, he still felt satisfaction as he watched the representatives of Holy Roman Empire gather in the Schloss von Hohenzollern. Many of them looked nervous, in particular the King of Bohemia. Otakar von Erz openly glared at a man he once called a friend. Brünnhilde and Prinz Wilhelm watched a few yards away, completely encircled by the Bavarian guard. Finally, the Herzog von Österreich spoke. "Kaiser Maximillian, what is your will?"

anewkaiser.jpg

The new Kaiser -- although he'd been Kaiser in name for over a month -- bowed gratefully to the Herzog. "Herzog Erich, you have ever been a true friend to Bayern, and we do not forget such loyalty." He gazed at the other 45 representatives of the various states belonging to the Holy Roman Empire. "We also do not forget treachery." Maximillian's icy stare went through Bohemia's ruler. "You have one chance to avoid the Imperial ban. Deliver Odo Askanien to me. Now."

The König quailed. "I -- I cannot. When my father died, Odo fled, I know not where."

For a moment, Maximillian's gaze flickered to his guard. It returned to the new König, who clearly understood the message. "Are you certain?"

"Yes, Your Imperial Highness."

"Let us hope you are right. Now, who --"

Unbidden, the outer doors flung open. Two guards in Bavarian livery threw a beaten and bloodied man into the room. "Kaiser, we have interrogated the prisoner."

"And?"

The prisoner, jaw shattered, could barely move his lips, but uttered one single word. "Baden."

Maximillian looked at Baden's ruler. To his credit, he did not shrink from the Kaiser's gaze. "Odo Askanien is a family friend. I will not deliver him to the usurpers of the Imperial throne!"

The Kaiser nodded. "Then we shall come and get him."

Baden's representative smirked. "And what is your casus belli?"

"Convert to Catholicism or face the Imperial ban."

imperialintegrity.jpg

Everybody froze. Only two of the 47 total states in the HRE still practiced Orthodoxy -- Baden and Brunswick. The König von Braunschweig shrugged slightly. That was good enough.

"Then I place you under Imperial ban. The armies of the Holy Roman Empire are on the way."

waragainstbaden.jpg

8 February 1476, Köln

The troops of the Elector of Köln watched the purposeful strides of General Riedesel's army. The General -- and Bavarians in general -- were in a foul mood. The König von Baden -- distantly related to the Irish King -- had sneakily assaulted the still gathering Army von Oberbayern.

twolosses.jpg

In retaliation, Bayern sent the army of the Holy Roman Empire west to Flanders. Literally hours after Baden was placed under the ban, Odo Askanien fled farther west. Flanders had taken the role of war leader in this conflict, but Marshal de Bragança knew the real threat was Baden's protector as defender of the Orthodox faith: the Byzantine Empire. The Marshal's plan was simple -- assaulting Flanders would ensure that, even if the Byzantines took Nürnberg (a very real possibility), there could be no peace until Odo Askanien was dead. The Marshal had even chosen his preferred battleground -- the province of Artois. The entire war might be decided in one battle.

2 June 1476, Innsbruck

Stefan Urkelopopolous, although a Greek, was a fervent Catholic, and so found himself favoring his confessionalists more than his countrymen. He rarely gave any thought to politics of any kind, if the truth were known. Yet he could not help the reality marching through Innsbruck: the Byzantine Army.

byzantineinvasion.jpg

The Marshal's gambit, simply put, failed utterly. Flanders repelled the Bavarian invasion with ease, and a brilliant counterattack completely routed the Bavarian army. General Riedesel himself had been captured and held in a Flanders prison.

anotherfailure.jpg

With the army of the Holy Roman Empire destroyed, apart from a few regiments in Schwaben, the Byzantines poured over the Austrian border, through Ansbach, and into the heart of Bayern. Stefan had a few barrels of gunpowder in his basement, and would happily use them to save his adopted home. He only hoped it wouldn't be necessary.

16 November 1476, Constantinople

Otakar von Erz shifted uncomfortably in his seat as the Basileus of the Byzantine Empire droned on and on. He knew Bayern was damned lucky even to have survived 1476, much less to have achieved their main goals. By quickly raising new regiments -- and appointing a new general to command them -- the Bavarian army was able to simultaneously attack the Byzantines while occupying Baden.

anewgeneral.jpg

The younger Riedesel, Ludwig the Steward, was able to travel south through Italy, securing loans from the wealthiest states in the Holy Roman Empire.

takingloans.jpg

Although the army that faced the Byzantines only succeeded in delaying conquest and occupation, Baden was overrun by the ransomed General Riedesel. Baden swore allegiance to the König von Bayern and condemned Orthodoxy as heresy.

badenwin.jpg

Otakar was then dispatched to Constantinople to work with the Byzantines. He'd already been there for two weeks, and had established little more than "Hello" before sitting and listening to speech after speech. Otakar knew exactly what the Basileus hoped -- that Nürnberg would be taken by Byzantine armies. The new general was able to drive them out of Bayern proper, but Österreich and Anbach were completely occupied (or nearly so). While General Armensperg eagerly chased a defeated Byzantine detachment into Ansbach, a brilliant counterattack trapped him. General Riedesel's reinforcements would take days, if not weeks, to arrive. If they could delay long enough and eliminate both parts of the Bavarian army in detail, victory was assured.

Otakar finally got a chance to present a Bavarian proposal at 2 PM.

surrendery.jpg

The Basileus took a look at the treaty, nodded once, and without so much as pausing for breath, continued his lecture on the greatness of the "true" Roman Empire. Otakar was delighted; Cleves was a non-entity, and while losing Hannover would hurt, the Herzog (now König again) retained his alliance with Bayern. It was a worthy peace, and let Maximillian focus on Flanders.

5 February 1478, Flanders

Joseph Clemens Livizzani, the new Steward, was an Italian banker from Milan. 30 years of age, he was handsome, popular, and incredibly bright. He was among the most sought after guests at social occasions throughout the Holy Roman Empire. Maximillian hoped the young Italian's popularity might secure favorable terms from Flanders.

Early reports had suggested that Lorraine might submit to Bayern's rule, which would permanently cement Bayern as Kaiser. Attacks had gone incredibly well, but Lorraine was not the problem: Flanders was.

twovictories.jpg

twodisasters.jpg

Religious rebels had risen up in Nürnberg late in 1477, which placed the Kaiser between a hammer and an anvil. He could either press the attack further or seek an honorable peace. What ultimately convinced him was the death of Odo Askanien. True, the villainous scum had died of natural causes, but dead was dead. For Maximillian, the matter was at an end, and he authorized Joseph (and Otakar) to seek terms.

abitterfailure.jpg

For Bayern, the matter was probably anticlimactic. Even the imperial authority gained from Baden's conversion was more than offset by the absorption of Ferrara, Ireland, and Foix into other countries (Venice, England, and France). As these wars began before Maximillian was named Kaiser, he could not intervene. Baden was released, although again happy relations were maintained. The Kaiser's new obsession was the vassalization of Württemburg. Lorraine now hated Bayern, although with two electors still in Bayern's pocket, Bayern controlled the election to Kaiser. Nonetheless, the war, on the whole, disappointed everybody but Maximillian.

He already had his own plans for what he could do in the future.

No contest again this update; I want to kill off a few more characters before I introduce new ones. There will almost certainly be a contest after the next update, so you have that to look forward to!

Excellent work managing that war and getting out of it with only vassal cancellations when you were facing those sort of odds. It's a shame that you aren't an elector yourself.

Excellent work managing that war and getting out of it with only vassal cancellations when you were facing those sort of odds. It's a shame that you aren't an elector yourself.

Yeah, it bothers me too. I'm not sure when the events to add new electors fire; I just took a look at the code and it seems like it should be, at most, 5 years after Bulgaria was absorbed. Yet, (without spoiling too much) there will be fewer electors in the future, not more. Here's the code, if somebody can puzzle it out better than I.

Code:
country_event = {

id = 1054

trigger = {
		NOT = { num_of_electors = 7 }
		elector = no
		is_emperor = no
		NOT = { government = republic }
		capital_scope = { hre = yes }
		NOT = { has_global_flag = elector_offered }
		NOT = { has_global_flag = Erbkaisertum }
		religion_group = christian
		NOT = { religion = orthodox }
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {

months = 60

modifier = {
			factor = 0.1
			num_of_electors = 6
			NOT = { num_of_electors = 7 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.1
			num_of_electors = 4
			NOT = { num_of_electors = 5 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.25
			NOT = { num_of_electors = 5 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.2
			NOT = { num_of_electors = 2 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			emperor = { relation = { who = THIS value = 50 } }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			emperor = { relation = { who = THIS value = 100 } }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			emperor = { relation = { who = THIS value = 150 } }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			any_neighbor_country = {
				is_emperor = yes
			}
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			religion = catholic
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.1
			NOT = { religion = catholic }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			stability = 1
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.1
			NOT = { stability = 0 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.8
			OR = {
				tag = KOL
				tag = MAI
				tag = TRI
				tag = PAL
				tag = SAX
				tag = BRA
				tag = BOH
			}
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.95
			tag = BAV
		}
	}

title = "EVTNAME1054"
	desc = "EVTDESC1054"

immediate = {
		set_global_flag = elector_offered
	}

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA1054"		# An offer too good to pass
		ai_chance = { factor = 90 }
		elector = yes
		prestige = 0.05
		clr_global_flag = elector_offered
		emperor = { relation = { who = THIS value = 100 } }
	}
	option = {
		name = "EVTOPTB1054"		# Unfortunately we have to decline
		ai_chance = { factor = 10 }
		prestige = -0.03
		clr_global_flag = elector_offered
		emperor = { relation = { who = THIS value = -100 } }

}
}

Now, since I'm Emperor, I can't be an elector (pity).