• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I still don't really understand the issue with justifying CBs while you're already at war. If you're already at War, you can add war goals whenever you like without a CB. I can see the issue with the population not supporting adding goals, but it's nothing to do with the justifying CBs feature. :)

That's one of the problems. Because I don't have an established war goal - because of the lack of jingo - the CB expires and disappears. In that case its like I'm at war for no reason. And then I have to start up a new CB. The problem in this case is that I can't add war goals until my jingo is up so I have to start the CB process all over until the jingo level is ready and at that point I would be able to add war goals without problem.

That's one of the problems. Because I don't have an established war goal - because of the lack of jingo - the CB expires and disappears. In that case its like I'm at war for no reason. And then I have to start up a new CB. The problem in this case is that I can't add war goals until my jingo is up so I have to start the CB process all over until the jingo level is ready and at that point I would be able to add war goals without problem.
I feel like we must be talking about different things here! If your Jingo is high enough and you are ALREADY at war, you can add whatever War Goal you like without justifying a CB. You pay full infamy cost, but you're over the limit anyway so who cares.

You need to justify a CB to start the war in the first place, but once it's going it's full steam ahead, assuming the Jingoism is high enough.

Ogrecrusher: I would have to wait the full time again. I’ll show in a pic following the next update.

Juan_de_Marco: I didn’t think it was but I finally resolved to come back to this thing.

Viking_Manstein: No mod. Since Steam I’ve not been very interested in screwing around with things to put in mods. However, considering how the CB system is set up – and the fact that I haven’t been able to play more than ten game years since this happened because of the annoyance – I’ll probably have to.

To all: So, this is back for the foreseeable future. I don’t know exactly how long that will be but for now I’m back and finally got over Austria and China by giving China what it wanted and Austria a white peace. I should’ve been able to destroy Austria but something in the system, again, maybe because of the original Viki v. AHD did something to it. Or maybe something is wrong with AHD. I don’t know, don’t really care either way.

I’ve played one year since the last update and it took me about two hours because of all the rebellions. This means updates might be a little slow but it also means there may be a very real possibility that I won’t make it to the end. In that case, as stipulated from the start this AAR’s purpose will cease to exist. However, if there is popular sentiment to keep it going should the end of the Monarchy come, then let me know either through PM or reply here. I’d still consider the official Monarchy AAR done and won’t add new links to the front page but I’ll keep you updated – although not as detailed – on what happens to an Anarcho, Communist or whatever political party rears its ugly head.

I will not try to destroy the Monarchy even though at times it seems very appetizing considering I receive popups every single game day. I will do what I can to preserve it in all its 1836 glory. But I think its obvious not all these objectives are possible anymore. But I’ll still try to do things to exert my influence.

As to whether or not this will be continued into HOI3 whether successful or not is another matter. I’ve not played more than a few hours in HOI 3 and I feel a genuine slaughter would be on its way. But if a conversion goes well you never know.

On a side note I see tiny pic has eaten a few of my old screenshots. Good news though, I’ve gone back to Photobucket so hopefully they’ll be safer.

This Update’s Observation:​
When I put the boom boom into your heart, I send your soul sky high and your loving starts.

As I mentioned in the To All section, I signed a white peace with Austria and gave China what it wanted. Since the CB miraculously disappeared – meaning I and my people both forgot what I was asking for – and it would take almost another year to get my old CB back I signed peace with Austria. Because the Austrian war took so long China declared war. Most of my units being in Europe meant I wouldn’t be able to fight them off. So rather than do something like looking up cheats to fix what went wrong I decided to just deal with it.

22_zpseff8b67b.jpg

21_zpsb5c148b5.jpg

This was really the only way I could continue or else I’d feel like it were cheating and I’m not into that at all.

After peace the debt stood at -3,232,116.3 I immediately demobilized, reducing National Stockpile to 65%, Middle & Rich taxes to 0% and Poor to 32%. By November the poor also received 0% tax. This was just in time for the rise of the Jacobins in December.

1 December 1916
24_zpsbc609ee3.jpg

25_zpsa94b741b.jpg

By the start of 1917 my debt had been reduced to -2,887,476.3. I gave MA to the Netherlands because with these revolts growing stronger I’m going to need all the plus relations I can get. Also because the revolts are never ending, I’m no longer keeping numbers on the casualties. There are simply too many of them.

Through February and March I raised relations with France to –4, expanded level 1 forts in Korea, began placing a CB on Prussia to turn them into Puppets and watched some anarcho-liberals rise.

Come April I looked on the first page and noticed there was nothing against releasing nations so I released Georgia, Azerbaijan and Poland. If I were roleplaying for a narrative or history book I wouldn’t have done this but there’s so much ground to cover and it takes so much time to battle all these rebels that I’m not really too interested in taking out each and every single regiment that pops up. Welcome to the New Europe.

1 April 1917
36_zps0f8c65c3.jpg

37_zps98c08de5.jpg

June passed with nothing more than an alliance with Poland. However, lacking events wouldn't be August's mark on history.

39_zps703dc2a2.jpg

5 August 1917
47_zps90961dfe.jpg

48_zps998f64e1.jpg

49_zps677ab873.jpg

50_zpsd6ba0176.jpg

51_zpsa452a49a.jpg

52_zpsd1e8644a.jpg

The above are almost all Communists. There are a few nationalists from Ukraine or Anarchos I hadn’t completely cleaned up but almost everything is red.

With the Communists sprawled across my nation I decided to declare war on Prussia. Between the declaration and mobilizing my new troops I had hopes that the rebellion could be crushed. Currently I do fear the Communist revolution may take me if both the war and the militia don’t complement one another. But declaring war on Prussia serves a higher purpose than this simple rebel removal; if I succeed in my war then they’ll be out of my way for the rest of the game.

But Prussia’s few German allies left her leaving Prussia v. Russia and friends. I think Poland can actually handle Prussia on its own. Either way the rebellion is clearing up and if Poland can hold Prussia, Prussia should be mine.

54_zpsa313c406.jpg

And just to see how busy I am fighting rebels…

55_zpsf41c6f87.jpg

Oddly enough, most of my army is now militia. The Communists have taken quite a few of my standing soldiers.

By the time I ended my session – 7 October – I had lost a naval battle against Prussia but lost no ships… they lost two cruisers. I returned a week later and began blockading a few of their ports.

7 October 1917
58_zpsbda46861.jpg

59_zps802579a1.jpg

60_zps103032f1.jpg

62_zps5c99483d.jpg

I forgot to include the debt, literacy and population statistics. The debt hasn’t changed much and I’m sure the literacy hasn’t much since they were last recorded. But I’ll add those in when the next update comes around.

Now that's what you call a rebellion.

NapoleonComple: So strong it deserves italics.

Avindian: At first I had considered starting the war before releasing the three territories. The Prussian military was small at that time with 0 regiments but I was sure another rebellion would break and Prussian militia could clean up some of Poland. However, after I released those states I suddenly had the CB on my hand. And Prussia had more troops. I considered that maybe they would get through Poland. Or at the very least, my satellites would start pushing troops through my territory to help clear out the rebels… I couldn’t remember if the satellites did this on their own naturally or if a war had to be on. Basically I planned something and then I planned something else. Perhaps that’s the problem of being away from a save for so long… things aren’t really thought through :p

dodedo: Thanks.

To all: I looked and it seems there isn’t a conversion available so no matter how this ends, it won’t be possible. I used google to try and find one for HOI 2 as well but those results showed nothing meaningful. Maybe there is one for Vic 2 – HOI2 but I’m not into it enough to go searching through all those old threads.

This Update’s Observation:
My philosophy on everything: Don’t worry. Life isn’t permanent.
***​

Eleven days from the last update the Ottoman Empire declared war on Serbia and there wasn’t anything I could do to help. But, surprisingly enough, Moldavia rushed to Serbia’s aid.

Through the few weeks remaining in October and all through November I was able to win victory after victory with the surprising aid of Poland. Their 44,000 troops were easy to hide behind. Even when not using Poland, my militia stood up surprisingly well.

1 January 1918

67_zpsbf505191.jpg

68_zps51543e67.jpg

By this time the Prussian units had been pushed down to 33 regiments against my 197. Then I noticed a problem. That Prussia was actually split into two and I couldn’t get MA from vital minors like Holstein. However, Prussia owned large areas of Denmark and Africa so I didn’t worry about it too much, especially since Berlin was on my half.

Victories continued with the occasional loss throughout the following two months. Then in March and April I began occupying parts of Prussia. Occupations began taking over battles as primary events until a second victory came in the Oresund, taking out twelve of their cruisers.

1 July 1918

77_zpsfe28ffb7.jpg

78_zps88909403.jpg

80_zps7d043494.jpg

By this time Prussia had gained 11 regiments somewhere along the way and Persia, who I had just begun influencing – currently mostly in Japan’s corner – became cordial toward me. Fifteen days into the new month Spain declared war on France for Catalonia. It was surprising but I didn’t care because it meant France was going to leave me alone for a while. Unfortunately for Spain, her allies left her while France’s allies came to aid: Spain v. France, Sokoto, OE, Switzerland, Belgium and a few German minors.

On 1 August I allied with Italy and by the second they joined the war. I was hoping they would do something for me in Africa. Meanwhile I gave Military Access to the powers in the French/Spanish War.

84_zps44efbce0.jpg

By mid-November the Ottomans came to peace with Serbia taking North Macedonia.

85_zps3a681bc1.jpg

A month later, while France was also at war with Oman over a bankruptcy issue, China intervened on behalf of Oman to fight France. Things were beginning to look good.

1 January 1919

88_zpscba880a7.jpg

The rebels were in hand as was Prussia with 16 regiments remaining.

A month later, into February, Spain and France signed a peace with the Ottomans taking Spain’s Taza region.

89_zps58bd5b8f.jpg

One day later Anarcho-Liberals rose but they weren't nearly as bad as the communists. Before the month let out I had Berlin in my hands.

Occupations continued until I had to export them, beginning in the Faroe Islands. Iceland and Greenland were also on the list. Surprisingly, 6 regiments were spread across these regions in spite of Prussia’s ship count.

1 July 1919

92_zpsa5caa3f7.jpg

93_zps246d040e.jpg

Before I started the war I had completely forgotten about Prussia’s African holdings. Luckily my allies were really helping me out. Unfortunately for one of them, the Ottomans declared war on Greece toward the end of July. I opted to not help considering… I had also believed an HOI conversion was possible and would be able to recoup these losses later. But it seems I’ll have to do it before game’s end with the time I have left.

By the middle of September all Prussian units on their Danish/Atlantic holdings were removed. A few more occupations followed, a few victories in Africa until peace was agreed on 6 December with Prussia becoming my Puppet.

95_zpsc5af2f4b.jpg

96_zps999a1d0d.jpg

After the war I had noticed my loans had been wiped out, education and administration were both lowered to 0% and a prestige hit me making me think that a bankruptcy event hit without giving me the message. Another layover from the Vanilla/AHD mash? It doesn’t matter… Let’s just push through this thing.

By the end of the year I lowered National Stockpile to 30%. Middle and Rich taxes were reduced to 0% while the Poor paid 32%.

Casualties:
Russian: 153,334
Prussian: 156,749

Ship Loss:
Russian: 3 Cruisers
Prussian: 54 Cruisers

Population: 18.48M
Cash: +2260
Literacy: 41.5%

oehoehoeeeeh close call there, with the commies. but not yet! If you lose your mobilized army, and THEN they strike, that is the formula for a successful revolt for the AI.

I'd have given up from micromanagement exhaustion by now.

this AAR is really good! I always wanted to play a game with an absolute monarchy, never enacting any reforms, and see if i could survive. I plan on using AH instead of Russia, though. But seeing all the rebels in your game, maybe i should reconsider! :p

Juan_de_Marco: The peasants are keeping me afloat ;)

NapoleonComple: That’s why I had to give up the rebel death counts. There was just too much to keep an eye on. The game is now going a lot faster since I don’t have to write down all those rebel casualties.

dodedo: I kept a few 20k+ armies roaming around to take care of rebels while many others went to the front lines, often through the rebels. If two rebellions like that hit in quick succession I think I'd be dancing on the precipice.

lucasdayan: Bear in mind as well that my serfs have never been emancipated. One thing I think has helped me with Russia is its sheer size. This has allowed militia or standing soldiers to retreat and consolidate their strength when surprised by rebellions. With AH being more compact and having so many culture groups, it may actually be more difficult… and by the end of your game, everybody will probably be sharing the poverty. :p

Years ago my graduating class decided to start having five year class reunions – I don’t even know how they got my address… Anyway, I thought it was the dumbest idea ever and do you know why I thought it was the dumbest idea ever? Because it was.

At the start of 1920 I finally found my peace and it was good. My writer’s cramp was healing and I was able to sit back for a little while. More good news came in April when the last of the rebel occupations had been lifted. Then the boredom set in... for two game days when I decided to help out Greece in their defence against the Ottoman Empire. I called in a few friends as well.

101_zpsffd2e1dd.jpg

I demobilized then remobilized to get as many troops as I could before I started my march. In addition National Stockpile was rushed to 100% and all taxes set at 65%. This is essentially a war between militias.

By the end of the month Constantinople was blockaded and the Japanese joined my bandwagon by declaring an alliance.

102_zps440665ea.jpg

The main problem with the OE isn’t their troops… its where their troops are stationed. All together. On top of that I’m not sure which are militia or regular but at least they’re on a peninsula.

104_zpsc7878387.jpg

By July only a minor battle was completed while a larger one was underway.

1 July 1920
105_zps41b282df.jpg

106_zps895eb400.jpg

By the end of the year France also gave in to my charms – now everyone wants to be my friend? – and the China/French war over Oman ended in a white peace.

108_zps72744096.jpg

110_zps3354087d.jpg

1 January 1921
111_zps3f6b57f1.jpg

Occupations continued until late July when China declared war on me for a war of containment. Naturally the French failed to honor the alliance… as had Japan. We’re not going to tackle that beast just yet, the Ottomans still have to be tamed and shut down. All their troops have to be destroyed before I can consider what to do with China. I want to incapacitate the Ottomans so they can’t retaliate.

At the start of 1922 Afghanistan declared war on Bukkhara for a lost territory. And since I’ve been so generous throughout the game I decided to help my Central Asian buddies. On another front, toward the end of January I re-signed my alliance with Japan.

Early February a large battle against the Ottomans had finally come to an end where they lost 125,749 troops, along with all their regiments.

118_zps0757a3fe.jpg

A status quo peace came a day later. One day after that treaty I signed another with the Chinese, accepting containment because I simply cannot win against them.

At the end of February I signed another alliance with Greece and began marching against Afghanistan.

Ultimately Afghanistan would also accept a white peace – because Bukkhara didn’t demand anything – on 26 January 1923. On 8 February I became a secondary power.

Ottoman Empire War Casualties:
Russia: 120,466
OE: 145,094

Ship Loss:
Russia: 1 Cruiser, 2 Transports
OE: 5 Transports

Afghanistan War Casualties:
Russia: 19,507
Afghanistan: 40,938

Literacy: 42.5%
Population: 18.02M
Cash: +352.10k

I think that is the first time I've ever seen anyone regress to the status of secondary power, not counting those who became great powers due to a prestige grab early on. Then again, your selfimposed handicap is quite harsh. You have my acolades.

whoa! you lost your great power status. This has a lot to do with the containment, right? well, at least you have electricity :p

could you post a picture of the diplomacy screen, showing who the great powers are, and your position and points now?

Edit: also, i noticed your population is in REAL decline! that must have contributed to losing the great power status. In
Rebel Yell you had 25 million and that was after losing more than 2 million rebels and 100 thousand soldiers. Are people
moving a lot to other countries? or mostly dying in wars or as rebels?

Last edited:
whoa! you lost your great power status. This has a lot to do with the containment, right? well, at least you have electricity :p

could you post a picture of the diplomacy screen, showing who the great powers are, and your position and points now?

Edit: also, i noticed your population is in REAL decline! that must have contributed to losing the great power status. In
Rebel Yell you had 25 million and that was after losing more than 2 million rebels and 100 thousand soldiers. Are people
moving a lot to other countries? or mostly dying in wars or as rebels?

I think the greater part of those seven million went to the newly created states. I could imaging Poland and Georgia counting for quite a lot. China taking the far east coast can't have helped either.

I thought this AAR was dead and buried, but I'm delighted to see it back up! Just too bad with the current state of the Empire :( Hope you can/will fix it ;)

Willum: If I didn’t get bored and go over the BB limit then staying at the top would’ve been simple. The problem is with the wars of containment. Rather than having a coalition against you, its separate states declaring war and they all want separate treaties for containment. Fighting against a coalition would be a better idea. And since you’d be fighting multiple nations and would have treaties with them for five years, the price for giving in could be much steeper as well that way one couldn’t peace out one day after receiving the declaration. Plus, fighting against a coalition would be way cooler than fighting against a bunch of single nations.

As a side note, in my original Maintain the Monarchy in V1 I ended as #9 as well. My new end game goals are just to finish higher than where I was in Victoria I. :p

lucasdayan: Right, the reason I dropped was because of the prestige and lowered military hits. As for the population, it also doesn’t help that I’m dropping a few thousand POPs a day. Of course this all started with the removal of my war aims against Austria which extended the war and encouraged China to declare war. With a depleted military due to the containment peace, it was all too easy for China to declare war for containment again. I’d expect it to rinse and repeat until the end of the game if I make it that far.

patiofurniture: Yeah, better than fighting all those rebel stacks… and Poland/Gerogia/Azerbaijan aren’t mandated to cut their forces after every single war. ;)

Vrael_1492: I managed to save a single save after all this time. I was surprised I hadn’t saved over it.

Rowan Atkinson mimes with a British accent.

For the first time in a while I had a peaceful year in 1923. I became cordial with Austria, friendly with France and Greece was taken over by Jacobins.

Through 1924 Ukrainian rebels momentarily rose and were put down within a month. Both China and Austria invested in my nation which didn’t seem to do anything at all. Then an odd thing before the year let out, Prussia went under the SOI of Austria. This makes no sense since they’re my puppet. Wouldn’t Prussia be under the same SOI I’m under?

At the start of 1925 I was greeted with another Jacobin uprising but like the Ukrainian mess, it wasn’t much to worry about.

136_zps57c8528a.jpg

By February 1926 the rebels had been dealt with and the Great Powers soon had a meeting about me.

141_zps4dc67d60.jpg

In August of the same year the Jacobins rose again… you’d think they’d have learned after the first time. Maybe I didn’t hang enough of them? But 1927 would change things a little with the US becoming Friendly and I was able to start rebuilding my military.

143_zps8cb15466.jpg

And yes, I’m producing planes.

In early August 1928 the Communists rose after sacking a number of my standing units. Even after mobilization my total number of regiments numbered less than 50.

3 January 1929

153_zps88f68661.jpg

154_zps28529323.jpg

155_zpsd209122c.jpg

156_zps03cb6f22.jpg

159_zps4c463a27.jpg

160_zps3caa8cf6.jpg

Two weeks after the above shots were taken over 250,000 rebels arrived and besieged Dorpat. That should be interesting.

161_zps11290ff0.jpg

By July the UK had gone to war with Portugal over an African territory while I became Cordial with China. The rest of my time was spent squashing rebels.

2 July 1929

166_zps0e682ccc.jpg

167_zpsc85e268c.jpg

168_zps58c12ec5.jpg

170_zpsf12d357f.jpg

171_zpsd0bd9010.jpg

Seven days later on 9 July I recovered my Great Power status. I’m sure this has more to do with my military score being raised due to my militia and my recovery in that area. Not only did I climb back into the top 8, I’m ranked 7.

172_zps354b6603.jpg

One thing that always bothered me is that when you lose GP status you lose all your influence as though your presence never existed in those countries you had invested in. Rather than lose everything there should be a mechanic where you drop from Sphered - Friendly in 0 - 5 years of being out of GP. 6 - 10 Friendly to Cordial etc. etc.

Population: 17.57M
Literacy: 45.6%
Cash: -712,320.3