• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah. Paul has pretty stats but that is only because he has ambitious and genius to start. Then the game randomly generated him patient and diligent. So he auto starts with 9 in all stats right there.

As for the story I have broken up what I have played so far into four books. Though I've only written the first six chapters of the first. Hopefully I will have the next up later tonight.

Thank you guys for the words of encouragement. Also thank you very much tnick for naming me the 'Best Character Writer of the Week'. That means a lot.

More than welcome Etzel...I felt you definitely deserved it, your AARs are always great reads :)

The Crowned Stag

A Session in the Yard

Bryton Badics
(December 287)​

WHACK!!!! Hitting the ground again he heard from behind him, "You are dead again Young Lord. You must move quicker then that if you hope to be a knight like your father. Now get back on your feet and lets do it again." Doing as he is told Bryton returns to his place with his wooden sword. From head to toe he is covered in armor and padding to make sure he would not be hurt by his instructors wooden sword. He also wore it he was told to grow accustomed to the weight of the armor. If he was only built like his father this wouldn’t be a problem. Sadly he and his sister both took after their mother more. They were slim, golden haired and fair to look upon where their father was a full two heads taller then every other man in Moonsgrey with arms larger then some men’s legs.

“Now take your position Young Lord.”

“Why do you call me that Durran?” Durran had been his father’s father Master-at-Arms and now he was his fathers. The man was not the brightest man, but he was a good warrior. He tought his father and he promised to teach him to be just as good. As Bryton held his sword out in front of him with two hands, Durran made circles around him. He never struck him while he was doing this, he said he wanted to inspect his posture and stance. Byrton still expected the man to hit him from behind though. Then again he hit him enough without cheating to even bother having to do that.

Feeling a tug on his right leg it was moved back a little bit. He had such trouble with the two-handed stances. He was better with sword and shield or the bow. Sadly that was the two days before and today it was the two-handed sword training

As Durran made a few more improvements to his stance, lowering his right elbow and a slight twist of his left wrist, he could hear robes brushing against the cobblestones behind him. Some how Maester Eustace always showed up after the second time he was bested by Durran. He could not figure out how he always knew, but when he was bested quickly or even when he did well the man always showed up then. Sometimes he would sit to his side and talk other times behind him and last time he was in another room as he yelled out his questions. While he listened and answered he was forced to fight Durran the entire time.

While Durran was making his way over to his position he heard his first question, “Who was King Robert’s best friend?”

“That was Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell, Lord of the North, Warden of the North. House Stark’s sigil is a grey dire wolf racing across a field of white and their words are ‘Winter is Coming’.” Each time he had to say a person’s name he was forced to do that and it was now becoming simplier.

“That is correct, now what happened to Lord Stark and what was the cause of the Rebellion?”

Before Bryton could answer Durran was upon him and they were locked in a back and forth. Durran had caught him unawares yesterday with that, but he would not fall for the same trick twice. “He was executed by the King last year for treason. The King arrested him for failure to save his wife the Lord Stark‘s sister, Lyanna.”

“Correct again. Now who fought on each side during the Collapse of the North?”

“The North was aided by Prince Doran Martell of Sunspear, Prince of Dorne, Warden of the South. House Martell’s sigil is…” it was then that Durran started to come at him stronger and faster. He was able to keep up though. “The spear and sun on orange, and their words are ‘Unbound, Unbent, Unbroken’. He was also aided by Lord Walder Frey of the Crossing. House Frey’s sigil is two blue towers united by a bridge on silver-grey, and their words are… their words are… their words.”

He couldn’t think of it. Oh no that means and as he feared he heard the Maester call out, “Durran.” And with that suddenly the man’s blade was a blur. All he knew was that his sword was gone, his leg hurt and he was on the ground again. “Tomorrow you will tell me their words, Bryton. Now back to your place and tell me who fought with the King.”

Rising to his feet Bryton found his sword in Durran’s hand who handed it back to him. “King Robert Baratheon, the First of His Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoyner and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm was aided by his brother Lord Renly Baratheon of Storm’s End, Lord of the Stormlands. House Baratheon’s sigil is a crowned black stag on a field of gold, and their words are ‘Ours is the Fury.” Returning to his starting position Durran made the circle of corrections again. “He was also aided by Lord Hoster Tully of Riverrun, Lord of the Riverlands. House Tully’s sigil is a silver trout leaping on a blue and red striped field, and their words are ‘Family, Duty, Honor.’ Though it appears that the words are false since Hoster Tully abandoned his daughter and grandchildren to the North’s Rebellion.”

“Durran.” With a smack to the back of his head Bryton could not believe he was caught unawares. Durran had never hit him when they were not practicing. “Do not judge what such a man does. And remember it is Lord Hoster Tully. Continue.”

“The last was Lord Tywin Lannister of Casterly Rock, Lord of the Westlands, Warden of the West. House Lannister’s sigil is a golden lion on a field of crimson, and their words are ‘Hear me Roar!’” With his question answered, Durran was also finished and they returned to their practice. With wood striking wood Bryton waited for his next question.

It seemed like ages before he heard the question. “Tell me of Lord Walder Frey?”

“Lord Walder was a very old man who fought first in the North’s Rebellion and then when learning of Lord Eddard’s execution declared independence. Half of his family was captured while the Westland army marched north and he along with the rest were captured by the Lord of Rosby on the Kings way back. He eventually died in the Red Keep’s dungeon and King Robert claimed both the North as well as The Twins for himself.”

“Durran.” Byrton knew he said nothing wrong so why was he being called for another beating. He was so sidetracked by this that he did not at first realize that he had blocked Durran’s first four strikes. The man stopped his attacks and set the point of the sword on the ground. “Well done Bryton. Since you stopped the blows you will not receive them, however, for what you missed you simply said Lord of Rosby. Now that will be all for today. Go get cleaned up and prepare your things for tomorrow. You will be accompanying your family to Strongsong for a feast.”

fc614f77-2626-46d2-b5cd-3738f3de61b2_zpsc9345c98.jpg

Watching the Maester leave Bryton did not even hear Durran move up next to him. “You did really well today Young Lord. Your father will be proud to learn that you stopped the first four. He was eight when he was finally able to do that. You beat him by a full year. Next time though you will have to stop ten.”

“What’s after ten?”

“Eleven Young Lord. Best not tell the Maester you can’t count past ten.” Unable to help himself Bryton started laughing. “Fifty is after ten Young Lord. And then if you can stop the fifty you will have to disarm me before I stop coming after you to discipline you.”

9556956a-cf93-494f-85de-510b5bc93dc8_zps813d3a9f.jpg

Last edited:
The Crowned Stag

At The Crown

Paul Badics
(January 289)​

Five years now since he had spoken with Septon Nestor about his wish for importance and it was not until today that he realized he was taking his first steps toward it. He would achieve importance through the only way he knew how, with the sword. A month ago he had left Moonsgrey at the head of nearly twenty-five hundred men. He left behind his children, his wife, Maester Eustace, Septon Nestor and his greatest sword Durran. The only man of any great import he took was Denys who would command his archers in the coming battle. He was not overly skilled with a bow or bowmen so he gave that honor to another.

Now though he wished he had more as he stared across from him at the three thousand men. Not only was he outnumbered, but the enemy was guarding the slope in front the Crown. This would be a difficult battle ahead of them, but he had faith. Today was not the day that he would fall though, he would see his family become great. These men would not stop him he swore. It would still be hard fought battle. From what he could tell Godric of Highcliff Watch had command and they had hired Daeron the Accursed who lead one of the group of outlaws roaming the land since the Collapse of the North. It would be good to see him put down with his band, but he had to focus on Godric. He and his men were the key to taking control of Crown Crag from Loras Egen.

250c2bec-fea0-4f64-ad97-f5592e0c1574_zpsfbd2b60e.jpg

Blowing the horn his men started forward while he held back behind them. He was the best warrior in the group, but he was also the only veteran of war on either side. It was a slow trek up the hill at best and his cavalry held back with him along the road. The hill was to steep and rocky for them to make it up and so they would be forced to stay on the road and wait for the perfect opportunity to strike. There was only roughly three hundred of his men who had horses and only thirty of which were armored.

Looking over to Denys he saw that the man had drawn his archers up to fire a volley. What was he doing? They were out of bow range still. When the volley was fired though he saw that they had indeed hit the enemy whereas the return volley fell ten yards short. “Smart man you have their Lord. Saw the wind was in our favor and is making use of it.” He didn’t even think about taking the wind into effect. It was good that he had brought this man along with him. Should he allow Denys to continue to fire and wait? No, this fight will be won with the sword, spear, shield and horse, not with the bow and arrow.

As his men came within bow shot though he had the signal blown for double time. This made it so that when the enemies volley should have struck their center it instead only picked off a few men in the rear. When the next volley was fired he called a halt and the shafts landed in front of them by a few feet again. It was obvious that this infuriated Godric who then ordered the enemy archers to fire in rotating volleys by ranks. The first fired in front of the second behind and the third on target. No chance now to avoid the shafts and so his men were ordered to return to the march again.

Each step one or two men would fall or a shield was struck. It was a hard march up the hill, but Paul was proud that his men were making it. Then with only yards to go the trumpet blew and his men charged up the last steps. It was a grueling battle as men were stabbed, hacked, bled and died on either side. All the while Paul set atop his horse and watched the slaughter. He had become so entranced by the rhythm of the battle he did not even notice what was happening to his left. Somehow Denys was able to overpower the outlaws and were now assaulting Godric’s unprotected flank. “Men, take the hill.” With that simple command his cavalry was sent up the hill behind the man who spoke with him before. What was his name? Simon, Semound, Syndel, it was something with an S. No matter. He would take the hill and the enemy was bested.

At a leisurely trot Paul followed up the road. His sword was not needed for this battle, just his brains. Riding along the road he passed where the battle had started and was now moving south and to the east towards the Eyrie. Hearing the groan of a man to his right Paul noticed a man lift his sword to challenge him to battle. Before he could even completely stand though an arrow was sticking from his unprotected throat.

“Well Ser Denys it seems you have just killed Daeron the Accursed. Let’s make our way up to the gates and accept Lord Egen’s surrender. Also be sure to speak with the Maester here and send word to home of our victory. I believe I will take Bryton with me next time. He needs to learn this trade if he is going to continue building what I have started.”

34ecc975-6bb7-480f-ad7e-40971ce02300_zpsfb2ab9b6.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I had some free time today so I decided to post two chapters. The next one will be up tomorrow most likely.

This is the first of three chapters of battles. This one is pretty simple since it is two minor Lords fighting each other with only six thousand soldiers total. There will be one major battle in this book and it will be over a couple of chapters. If you very much enjoy reading about battles you guys will love book 3 which centers around a single war.

I hope you guys enjoyed these two chapters and like always feel free to comment about anything you like or dislike about the updates. I also take these comments under advisement for my writing. For example hdk commented how he prefers pics be in the center of the posts so I changed them to that.

Last edited:
The Crowned Stag

Trip through the Castle

Lady Hilary
(May 290)​

Today her son fought with sword and shield against Durran she saw from the tower window. Since he had become his father’s squire he practiced more and more in the yard. Sometimes twice and even three times in a day. He was getting better, just not as good as he wished to be and would probably be bested by any squire a year older then him. All the time he moved around the practice yard Maester Eustace called out his questions.

Hearing the call for Durran she pulled her head back into the window before her so was dropped again. This yell for Durran also woke the little girl. Hushing her Hilary rested her hand on her chest. “Sleep Jonella, sleep little girl.” She had been born only hours before the raven arrived with word of her husband’s victory at The Crown. It was nice to have a daughter at home now that Caleigh was living in Runestone alongside Yohn Royce. The man had promised she would be raised properly like a Lady by his wife. She still missed her though. She could only hope that Paul would allow Jonella to stay here in Moonsgrey to be raised.

8a5256b5-ba54-46a4-8b7e-8c7629400cee_zpsedf5df38.jpg

Rubbing her stomach she wondered what the next child would be. It was her second month now since her last moon blood. She wished for another girl, but she knew her husband wanted boys. If it was a boy though would her husband send him away like Caleigh to learn under a great knight, scholar, or Lord? Or would he replace Bryton once his time was up as his father’s squire.

91d9b6fa-676c-49d9-a9f1-462ba16226d5_zps532e0f37.jpg

Now was the best time as any to find out. “Zia.” After a second the door opened and a young, attractive woman came into the room. She gave a curtsey and said, “You called for me, my Lady?”

She had been a maid of sixteen and her personal body servant. Now she was the wife of one of her husbands newest knights. This also brought up her station to that of Jonella’s caretaker. Even though she knew this girl had made a similar move to herself, she still could not help disliking the girl. Though the blame was not completely on her, some of it rested on her fool of a husband. Just because the girl lost her maidenhead to the hedge knight Ser Gwayne when he had visited, did not mean they should have been wed. Even worse the man had taken over Ser Durran’s place as Master-at-Arms. He should be in the dungeons not training her son and sitting in on her husband’s councils.

d90e93b5-df63-48cc-8fc5-df0759db309d_zpsf84d18b7.jpg

“Watch Jonella, I will be back soon.” With that she was out the door. Normally when she walked the halls of the castle she would be greeted and people would stop and chat with her. Today though she moved so quickly her golden hair flowed behind her and when people met her blue eyes they quickly turned away from her.

She may have once been just a maid in this castle, but for the past ten years she was the Lady of Moonsgrey. Those who spoke with her, spoke with courtesy and friendly, but not over so like when she was just a servant. It was nice to have this kind of power. The only problem was that people still remember her as a servant in the rest of the Vale. Twice now she had attended feasts in Strongsong with her husband and each time the other Ladies treated her politely but it was obvious that they saw her less then them. Even after her husband had captured The Crown from Loras Egen and he abandoned the realm to live his final days at the Wall his wife was treated with more respect.

At the entrance to her husband’s solace Hilary was surprised to see her son sitting on the ground with a book in his hands. “Shouldn’t you be in the yard with Maester Eustace and Durran?”

Looking up from his book her son beamed a huge smile at her. He was such a lovely boy. His blue eyes gleamed, his golden hair glowed, and he was as thin as the swords he practiced with so diligently. Nothing like his father who was so dark. He wasn’t so bad during his youth, but Paul started shaving his hair ever since Robert’s Rebellion which made him look almost like a snake. A very large and powerful snake, but a snake nevertheless. “Maester Eustace received a raven and came straight here after. Ser Gwayne is currently going to fetch you at father’s order. He said for you to come to him and I was supposed to wait here.”

Come fetch her? Come fetch her? Her husband dare send that man to come fetch her? Taking a breath she controlled her rage and asked, “What are you reading?”

“This is a book about the Winged Knight and how he brought the true faith to Westeros. Ser Gwayne gave it to me. He said any knight can swing a sword, but a true knight must be a man of faith and virtue.”

Ser Gwayne again. Without another word she pushed her way into her husband’s solace. Within she saw her husband’s egg of a head which reflected the light from one of the windows behind him. Across from him sat Maester Eustace who had been speaking but stopped when she entered the room. “I have something for you my Love.” As he said this the egg cracked from a huge smile. He lifted his hand and a paper was held out to her. Snatching it from his hand she read….

‘I agree. Five Years.’

Holding out the small piece of paper which had been delivered by raven she asked, “What is this?”

“That my dear is Prince Doran’s agreement. Five years from now Bryton will marry Arianne Martell and their children will rule Dorne.”

Last edited:
As I said on the mod forums; don't let lack of comments deter you. Your writing's superb. Keep at it, and we'll keep reading.

Yes indeed Etzel keep up the good work :) And I will try my best to stay up to date and comment, just busy with work and school so I may fall behind here and there, but definitely don't let lack of comments deter you any. Your writing is always great to read. To be honest your "Class on the Balog Dynasty" was one of the first AARs I read before buying the game, and made me want to write my own AARs.

The Crowned Stag

A Hunt

Ser Gwayne
(October 291)

ced0a0cf-54a6-4e11-b1c6-6a8c858a080e_zpsb5f851c1.jpg

As the seventh day in the woods passed Gwayne wondered when they would be returning to the castle. He enjoyed hunting with his Lord, but he was getting tired of just riding around and avoiding things. Lord Paul needed to man up, return to the castle and put his wife in her place. Not avoid her and his castellan by taking an extended hunt through the mountains. This was the largest, most powerful, and most skilled warrior he had ever met yet he was scarred of a woman. What was wrong with the man?

The rest of the party seemed to also feel this way it seemed. Among them were Ser Denys and Ser Symond who both fought at the Battle of The Crown. Ser Denys knighted Symond following the battle. He had proved himself as he led the cavalry charge to break the last of Egen’s soldiers, killing over half of them during their pursuit from Lord Paul’s new lands. They were also accompanied by Ser Rymond who brought along his four year old son, Arstan. Next year this young man would begin his instructions in weaponry from him and he was eager to learn. Nearly as much as Bryton was when he was named Lord Paul’s squire. Lastly, there was a group of twenty guards who came to ensure that nothing should happen to Lord Paul during his hunt.

Slowly the sun left it’s zenith yet they road on under the canopy of the leaves. All the while Lord Paul scanned the woods except for in the direction of his castle. With each passing moment he grew more and more bored. He only wanted to return home and have some fun with his wife. Zia was now pregnant with their first child. Hopefully this would be a boy. If it was then he would get to grow up alongside Lord Paul and the Lady Hilary’s second son, Terrance. They would train together and maybe one day he would become an advisor to either Bryton or Terrance.

After yet another hour Ser Denys decided to fall back to where he road nearly twenty yards from the rest of the group. “Are you enjoying what appears to be the seventh of a hundred days within these woods Ser Gwayne?”

Not even bothering to respond to that he simply asked, “Why does he hide from his wife? I understand that he thinks he shamed her, but who really cares? She is a woman and he is a man. More importantly he is the Lord of these lands and if he wants to bed every woman within his lands, that is his right as Lord.”

“You maybe right my friend, but I fear he is not ashamed of bedding the Lady Alla. I believe he is more ashamed of the fact he got caught giving her a child when she is still married to his second in command Matthos. It wouldn’t have been so bad if she simply said it was his, but the wench actually dared announce it in front of nearly the entire castle. Within moments everybody from the stable boys to the blacksmith to his Lady wife knew of what he had done.”

c63d6736-e676-4cfc-8244-6722b55a09ff_zps210de759.jpg

“Well if this goes on any longer I will be leaving this hunt. I have not enraged my wife and I wish to return to her bed.” This brought a chuckle from Ser Denys who kicked his horse and returned to his place at the Lord Paul’s side. Why can’t they just return to the castle already. This riding around was getting tiresome. They hadn’t seen any game in days and those they did see were either to small or to quick for them. Maybe tonight he would train with Ser Symond or Ser Denys just so he had something to do. Once on the second day he had tried sparing with Lord Paul, but the man had disarmed him within seconds and dropped him four more times before he finally conceded there was no contest between the two. That was a sad moment. He was the Master-at-Arms for Moonsgrey, but he did not come close to measuring up to his Lord.

Looking up Gwayne realized that the party in front of him had taken a turn down the path they were traveling on and he could no longer see anybody in the group. Though he could not see them he still kept at the same pace he had nearly the entire time. If they saw something and went after it, he would track them if not then there was no great need to rush.

Coming around the bend he was surprised to see nearly the entire group stopped and most of them were dismounted. Suddenly a break in the circle was shown and he saw Lord Paul’s horse on the ground with Ser Symond standing over it with a bloody sword. Did he just kill his Lord? Not sure what to do he reigned up his horse and prepared to bolt back towards the castle. Would that be a good idea though? If Ser Symond had killed Lord Paul then he had done it at the orders of Matthos and so the keep was now in his control. He would have to ride south for the Eyrie. Jon Arryn was a good man and he would see justice done.

As he pulled his reigns to ride off from the group Gwayne suddenly heard, “Such a pity. She was a good horse who saw me through the Battle of the Trident and The Crown. Did anybody at least kill the rabbit which spooked her?” Lord Paul? Turning back he saw that Lord Paul was indeed standing next to Ser Symond. “Thank you for putting her down for me Ser. I never was one to put down an animal after a broken leg. I will kill any man, but an animal I just can’t do it.

87fa1cc0-9fec-443e-9e3c-41b1c986c163_zps332be6e4.jpg

“Now that my horse is dead I guess we might as well return home. Ser Rymond if you don’t mind I will be taking your son’s horse. He can ride double with you or another.”

Last edited:
The Crowned Stag

Messages from the Ravens

Maester Eustace
(April 293)

’Kraken claims crown’

Setting the first paper aside Eustace could not believe he had allowed his office to become so disorganized. It was going on ten years now since he had arrived in Moonsgrey and he was only now getting around to cleaning it out. Some of these letters were nearly as old. Though that one was only four years. He would need to better organize these letters along with his own writing if he was ever going to write his own book on these days. Let’s see what are the next couple? One about the King killing Lord Stark, another on the Collapse of the North, here is one saying the High Septon had died and another had taken his place.

’I agree. Five Years.’

Now here was a happy message, Bryton’s betrothal. In just two more years the two would be wed and the heir of Dorne would make her trip north by sea to Gulltown. It was still hard to believe that the boy he had been teaching for these years was soon to be married. The boy showed much promise both in brains as well as with the sword. It was now nearly a half a years since he was coming to question him during his practice with Ser Gwayne. The boy’s blade was becoming as quick as his mind though he was still no match for his Lord father. That was hard to see.

The only thing more depressing was seeing the Lady Hilary. She was now living in a tower by herself. Most days she still came out and saw her children, but she no longer spoke with her husband. She no longer laughed. She was no longer really alive. At first it appeared that the two had reconciled their differences after Lord Paul denounced Lady Alla’s baby girl, Tyana. Days later Hilary showed signs of pregnancy and it was obvious the two had returned to being intimate.

That all came to an end though when Hilary gave birth to yet another son. Both of them were so happy and everything seemed fine. He could still remember the Lady Hilary look up to her husband with those gorgeous blue eyes and say, “A son. Let’s name him John after your father.”

Paul gave her a smile and said, “No, I believe I will name him Gwayne.” And with that he walked out of the room with the young boy. Since that day the two were married but they were no longer really man and wife. The Lord continued to frequent Lady Alla’s chamber at night and Lady Hilary locked herself in the tower. It was a truly depressing time.

830101e4-00eb-4bc4-8133-0bd365ccc9ef_zps250e38ac.jpg

’The Kraken is dead. Eldest hold crown.’

Here was another on the Greyjoy Rebellion. Since 289 the King had been trying to put down the Krakens. King Robert just did not have a strong enough fleet. The few ships they had were no match for the ironborn fleet and their admiral Victarion Greyjoy the Kraken’s brother. Eventually though the King was able to get a few men on Pyke where they killed Balon Greyjoy though the majority of the family and soldiers were able to flee to Great Wyk. Lifting the next message it spoke of the death of the Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch and the next was of his successor a man unknown to him. Here was the next of the ones he was looking for.

’Eldest is dead. Second son hold crown. Soon.’

King Robert took Great Wyk and Saltcliffe before Rodrik Greyjoy was slain. Barristan Selmy, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, had the honor to have killed him. This earned him the nickname of being the Scourge of the Ocean. Selmy cut down over twenty ironborn captains and Rodrik Greyjoy before the war was done. There was few better swordsmen within all the Seven Kingdoms. Though he could not help wondering who would win if Selmy and Lord Paul ever faced one another.

With the stack of messages from the Greyjoy Rebellion set aside Eustace set down the most recent and probably the last message on top. This he had received only three days ago. Maybe he would write a book about this Rebellion, though it would be hard to since he never spent any time on the Iron Islands and would have to trust to other men’s accounts. He still had many years left to decide on what he would write about. Taking one last look at the message he smiled.

’Kraken crown destroyed.’​

Last edited:
Thanks for the words of praise. My first class today got cancelled because of power outages in the area so I have nothing but time until my next class. I am trying to see how many of these chapters I can get up. If I'm lucky I will be able to get all of Book 1 up by the end of the week. Just nine more to go.

Also I did not know that tnick. I'm glad I was able to inspire you to begin writing AARs. Yours is quite enjoyable and I look forward to more from you. Any thoughts on taking part in the AGOT AAR competition?

The Crowned Stag

Tourney of Strongsong

Bryton Badics
(May 293)

30876cdf-031c-4230-9d4e-2fccdd1aa68c_zps79978959.jpg

He still could not believe that he was here at a Tourney with all these great knights. There were so many great warriors of the Vale all here and his father was competing against them to prove who was the greatest knight of the Vale. Already he bested all three of the Royce children that had entered the Tourney. Andar, Robar and then the youngest Waymar fell before their father in his bronze armor came forth to be his next victim. Nobody could stand against his father.

Since he was his father’s squire he did not have to sit in the stands like the other children of the Lords and knights who were entered in the competition. Looking over the stands Bryton was able to pick out his mother who had come though she probably only came to see his twin sister. She sat to their mother’s left and to Caleigh’s left was Yohn Royce’s wife. It was quite humorous to see that these two Ladies sat nearly side by side while their husbands would soon be facing off against one another. Mother though would probably be rooting for the Bronze Yohn instead of her own husband. It was sad to see his parents not get along but there was nothing that could be done about it.

Looking down the lists Bryton saw that the Bronze giant was just getting his lance from his squire so he handed up his to his father. “Be safe father. People say Yohn is the likely favorite for this competition.”

His father did not look down at him. His attention was fully on this coming tilt, but he did hear him say, “Remember our words son.” And with that he was racing down the open field towards the only other man in the Vale who was a match for him in size or strength. The question now though was, who was the better jouster. Would it be Bronze Yohn or his father who came away with this victory and then just two more steps to being named champion.

The two came closer and closer together and then at the last second their lances smashed against each other and were pass one another. Both were still ahorse though, so there would be another tilt. Taking the turn near Bryton, the man in bronze stopped and lifted his visor. “I’m quite surprised your father would tilt against me. He is a brave man to face the father of the three sons he has bested.”

“Death before dishonor.”

“Indeed so long as House Badics continues to follow those words I am certain that you will accomplish much. I only hope that this Tourney is not a sign of what will come in the following years.”

“Well you still may win yet Lord Royce.”

“There you are wrong lad. Look at my lance.” Not sure what he was talking about Bryton took another look at the man’s lance and realized that it was not broken after all. His father had bested all four of the Royce’s and would next face the Knight of the Gate, Brynden Tully the Blackfish. That just left them and Nyckolas Saul and Patrick Back left in the competition.

Making his way towards his father who was returning to the tent he saw him wave him off. “Enjoy the tournament, I will take care of myself back here. I don‘t plan on removing my armor since I will be going again next.” Pleased to hear this Bryton ran back to the lists just in time to see the shields planted on either side of the field. The blue and red axes of House Back against the seven-tailed shadowcat of House Saul. Few thought Patrick Back would make it this far since he was quite ill, but it seemed they were mistaken. The man had a lot of guts and endurance.

Now that he was in a better position along the side he would not make the same mistake twice with the broken lances. Standing here he waited and waited. All the while he could not stop thinking about when it would be his turn to ride in the Tourneys and prove himself. Then there was his coming marriage to the Princess of Dorne. It was only two years away now. In two years he would be married to a woman he had never met before. He had been given a drawing of her and if she looked anything like the drawing then she was incredibly beautiful, but still it would have been nice to have an option in the matter. Why could he not get to …

Before he could even finish that thought he saw that both horsemen were making their way down the lists. With each step the two came closer and closer to one another until suddenly at nearly the same time both horses burst forward at a gallop. When the lances strike either opponent Bryton was pleased to see that Nyckolas Saul was still mounted while Ser Patrick was on the ground. Nyckolas might have won the joust but he had taken a splinter of wood into his throat. Falling from his horse after getting to the other side Bryton saw men carry him away to the Maester waiting. That was the first major injury of the night. He had thought there would be more, but it would seem he was wrong.

376515b6-fbbe-4c3e-aef6-3ce16e347a1c_zpsc80a45c1.jpg

With Nyckolas Saul hurt though that meant whoever won between his father and the Blackfish would be named winner of the Tourney of Strongsong and known as the greatest knight in all the Vale.

As the shields were taken down the horse of Badics and the fish of Tully were set up and both men took their respected sides. Bryton had almost gone to the wrong side at first since he didn’t realize that his father was moved between jousts. Handing his father his lance Bryton once again ran off to the side to watch the joust. “Come on father. Come on father,” he kept repeating as he the two men raced down the field.

When the two men passed each other though his father was on the ground while the Blackfish was past. How could his father beat so many great knights but then lose to this man? He was just a Tully who went back on his words.

d7bf52d7-47be-49a1-ac79-4c8ab041611b_zps6ca94bcb.jpg

Running out to his father Bryton helped him back to his feet. The horse had already been calmed and caught by the Blackfish’s squire so that did not need to be done. “I’m sorry you lost father.”

“There is nothing to be sorry about. Lord Brynden is one of the greatest knights in these seven kingdoms and I was honored to face him. Even if I lost it was a good fight.” Watching his father remove his helmet he took it from him so that his dad could then remove the padded cloth around his head. Since the man had no hair he needed extra padding up there to ensure there were no injuries.

“Well fought Lord Paul. It’s always an honor to face a man with such skill. To be honest I thought I would be facing the Bronze Yohn in this joust. I’m pleased to see that you proved me wrong.” To this his father simply smiled.

It was then that Jon Arryn stood from his seat and spoke. The only reason he knew that Lord Arryn had risen to speak was that when he had the entire area grew quiet. “Knight of the Gate you have proven yourself in this Tourney and I am honored to see I have such a skilled man protecting my lands. You men have all proven yourself admirably. People of the Vale, I give you your champion, Lord Brynden Tully.”

Bowing his head from his horse the Blackfish said, “I thank you Lord Arryn, but it is not fair to name me champion. I can not face Ser Nyckolas because of his injury and who knows if he would not have bested me. So I ask that you name him champion in place of me.”

fdfc51ab-a26e-4ebb-ae5e-7f986f272849_zpsc68cb737.jpg

2ae84356-f5a3-4452-a6e8-10f90e5994b3_zps73565c1b.jpg

Last edited:
Well that is chapter eight and it puts us half way through book 1. I hope everybody had enjoyed the first half. My goal as I said is to have the first book up by the end of the week. My overall goal is to be done with book 3 by the time the competition is over.

Dang, awfully chivalrous of the Blackfish... I have been enjoying this thus far and will continue to watch. :)

The Crowned Stag

Teaching those who come

Maester Eustace
(August 294)​

It was surprising to see Bryton taking part in his sessions now a days. With him gone that meant that the young Arstan would also not be attending. This only left just Terrance and Jonella who were old enough to take part in his sessions. Gwayne, the bastard Tyana and Lark, Ser Gwayne’s son were all to young to attend. He had hoped that Arstan would come but the boy always followed Bryton around pretending to be the boy’s squire even though Bryton was still a squire himself. Looking over his two students Eustace smiled at them. “Today we will be going over the most recent rebellion in the north. Which of you can tell me how it started?”

Without missing a beat Terrance said, “In August of last year the King’s Master of Coin, Rickard Karstark, attempted to smuggle Maron Greyjoy out of the Red Keep’s dungeons. As the two split up outside of King’s Landing, Lord Karstark was able to make it back to the north while Maron was recaptured before he reached Maidenpool. He was returned to King’s Landing and executed. King Robert then marched his army to put down the nobles of the north who joined Lord Karstark.”

“Maron never got out of King’s Landing stupid.”

“He did so.”

“Did not.”

“Did so.”

“Did not!”

Slamming his hand against the desk Eustace always hated sessions where only these two attended. If they were alone they would always end up fighting and arguing over nothing. “You are both wrong. Yes, Lord Karstark was Master of Coin. Yes, Maron was executed by the King. Lord Karstark however had never met Maron Greyjoy nor do I even know if he even cared about the man. The war was started because the Master of Coin wished to become the new Lord of the North a title that King Robert still claimed. When the King learned of this he had Maron Greyjoy executed to show what he did to people who rose above their stations.” Rubbing at the bridge of his nose he could not help but hope the session would be over early.

“Why does Bryton no longer have to come to these sessions?” asked Terrance.

“That is because your Lord father has decided that with his coming marriage he needs to spend more time training with the sword and with him. If he is going to be the future Lord of Moon and Crown as well as the Prince of Dorne then he must be a warrior. You two however must continue to build your minds.”

“Bryton already is a great warrior. I watched him training in the yard yesterday and he was able to go up against both Ser Durran and Ser Denys without being struck by either. Only man better with a sword they say is father. So I believe that Bryton needs to come and build his mind too.”

“He is not here and that will be enough of that. Now what was the outcome of Lord Karstark’s rebellion?” As silence was the only answer to him it was obvious that Terrance was pouting. “Jonella? The outcome?”

“He lost,” was all she said.

“Care to elaborate?”

“No.” This brought a snort of laugh from the boy. Before he knew what he was doing Eustace struck out as hard as he could. This blow knocked Terrance out of his chair. Worried that he had hurt the boy Eustace jumped up to pick the boy back up. Terrance simply stood back up, cleaned off the blood from his nose and said, “Do not do that again.”

Not sure what to say or do Eustace simply left the room. He would need to speak with Septon Nestor.

Last edited: