• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh, Merrick, i'm slowly catching up, and have to say, again, that you've been doing a remarkable job with the chronicles. There's genuine thinking material in there!

I try! And I really do have to say that the several months when I had to write this AAR without having a game to base it off of really helped bring me to the next level when it comes to thinking about the game historically. Becuase when you're playing a game, you don't think about stuff like "I'm deporting a third of my country's population", except maybe in terms of "I'm losing a tax base". And while France is GREAT in terms of keeping up a tension between you and whatever newcomer's on the block (France is in an interesting situation that I'll talk about a bit later--she needs to keep the largest army in Europe because that lets her defeat any coalition that the Austrians/Dutch/Spaniards/English come up with, but keeping the largest army makes her economy less competitive--the Netherlands and Modena were actually the two richest countries through most of the 17th century), the game tends to put you in a mindset of constant progress--which there was, in a long view.

But in the short run and in history, all of these technological marvels, all of these governmental or military reforms, and many colonial conquests, came out of a fear of decline, especially when the country in question is at the top and is worried about threats from below.

(Beyond this I realized that writing a story about tension and the problems that come out of tension is more interesting than a constant progress towards an early Enlightenment)

I'm sorry guys, I've been caught up in a big paper for one of my classes, working on getting a job (likely as a barista woooo grad school), and making the final edits on my paper that's going to get published sometime in the near future (that's what you get when you have a journal run by volunteers).

The next section, on the new colonizers, will be written and out within the week. But until then, here's a spoiler:

Colonies1625_zpsbe0d8b64.png

About that blue patch in Brazil, i've seen a miniseries not 2 weeks ago telling its story. It's not a masterpiece, but very watchable and hey, is there one of us here not wanting to see the New World, wars of religion and the Knights of Malta all mixed up together? Plus it's not even that soppy. However, the film has been shot in english but i haven't found anything else than the french version. In a few weeks maybe?

About that blue patch in Brazil, i've seen a miniseries not 2 weeks ago telling its story. It's not a masterpiece, but very watchable and hey, is there one of us here not wanting to see the New World, wars of religion and the Knights of Malta all mixed up together? Plus it's not even that soppy. However, the film has been shot in english but i haven't found anything else than the french version. In a few weeks maybe?

I think I saw a summarization of the film a couple of months back which gave me the idea. That and Portugual being really lax about colonizing Brazil this game, choosing instead to colonize the far more easily conquerable Caribbean. This poor choice means that Portugal has nearly 0 colonies by the 1700s

Fantastic AAR, just getting caught up now. I really enjoy the style of the updates, and the coverage of the religious wars was particularly good.

Thank you! I tried hard on those entries and I feel that I really came into my own while writing them.

Beyond that, I've bookmarked your AAR which looks fantastic.

Awesome AAR, been following it for quite a while, can't wait for more!

I have lurked on this AAR for many months now, but never posted.
I admit that I have started a France GC with Christmas momod, after reading this very well writen history.
So far, many times I have been smashed by either Burgundy, or Austria or Castille: I have to spend more time to learn how to play this momod, because it's much more difficult than MMU, particularly the attrition hurts!

I have lurked on this AAR for many months now, but never posted.
I admit that I have started a France GC with Christmas momod, after reading this very well writen history.
So far, many times I have been smashed by either Burgundy, or Austria or Castille: I have to spend more time to learn how to play this momod, because it's much more difficult than MMU, particularly the attrition hurts!

France is really tough--even if you're on top (as I am), there will still be small countries with way higher income than you and you still can't defend against more than two of your enemies at once.

Awesome AAR, been following it for quite a while, can't wait for more!

Thank you! The next entry should be out soon (I could separate it into 3 smaller entries but I only have one country left to write about), and I've bookmarked your AAR as well!

LordsofFrance-3.png

Empire, chapter 4: The new colonial powers

In many ways, the War of Hispaniola was one of the most important events of the 40 Years War. Though it was only a tangential theatre in a massive war, the War of Hispaniola started a precedent of “small wars” which occurred only in the colonies while peace reigned in the continent of Europe. Because of this concept, outside of a few ‘conflict areas’ Europe remained a mostly peaceful place through the 17th century, even though colonial war was a constant through this time.

Furthermore, the War of Hispaniola broke the already fragile Portuguese empire in the Americas. The 1610s and 20s saw new colonial powers rise up to replace the Portuguese Empire in the Americas, and by 1625 the countries which rose and unified themselves over the 40 Years War had carved out regional niches for themselves.

From the Italian League to the Dictatorship of Modena

Niccolo Machiavelli’s rise to power in the 1520s was marked by another emerging trend in the periphery of the Italian League—the rise of Brentan Christianity. A Reformist theologian, Brenta surmised that if God was omnipotent, then life was essentially predetermined. This concept of predetermination allowed for the synthesis of two ideas which had been in conflict in Italy through the15th and 16th centuries—wealth and piety. If life was predetermined, Brenta argued, then wealth and frugality were gifts from God, not sins. This creed took a deep hold in the Italian merchant class, and by 1570 all of the major merchant families—the Borgias, the Sforzas and the newly returned Medicis, had all converted to the Brentan faith.

civicpride_flink_sm.jpg

The simple means of dress used in Italy was later adopted in the Republic of the Netherlands

This domination exacerbated what had already been an ongoing conflict, between the nobility (who dominated the Duchy of Modena and the Counties of Lucca and Romagna) who supported the creation of a Kingdom of Italy under the Modenan aegis, and the merchant class (who dominated the republics of Genoa, Florence, and Siena), who favored a continued Republic. With the conversion of the merchantile faction to a heathen creed, the parliament ground to a standstill. Even the son of Nicollo Machiavelli himself was unable to get any legislation passed. There was a strong fear from the Duke of Modena that the Italian League would need to be held together by force, or worse, that it would fall apart regardless.

images

Piero di Machiavelli, the son of Niccolo Machiavelli and his successor as Chief Minister of the Senate, presided over a decades long deadlock in the Italian Senate and the creation of the ufficialia

It should be noted that at this point, the Italian League was a very loose federation. Only foreign affairs were decided by the center, and even then the three Brentan states (Siena, Genoa, and Tuscany) still largely made their own decisions as the parliament was incapable of even so much as censuring them.

This then explains why, through the 1560s, 70s, and 80s, the Italian League colonized three separate areas. The merchants of Florence had developed a strong trading relationship with the Mamluke Shahs, and in the 1560s used their access to the Red and Persian Seas to dominate the lucrative pearl market in the Persian Gulf. The Genoan traders began taking over the Portuguese trading network in northern Latin America and the Caribbean. And the city-state of Siena, with the help of the Modenans, became the first of the European slave traders, developing a loose trading network around Western Africa.

The 1570s saw the development of another powerful institution within northern Italy. Piero had started to develop a separate policy making body starting in the 1560s called the ufficialia. Composed of minor noblemen and merchant’s sons, the ufficialia (led by Augusto Machiavelli, the son of Piero) began administering the whole of the Italian League’s major cities starting in the 1570s. Filling the policy gap created by the deadlocked Senate, the ufficialia crafted inter-city trade legislation, led local militias, presided over granaries, and built schools and bridges.

images

A drawing made by the Anconan Catholic League, showing a group of Italian protestants stoning the Pope to death. Sectarian conflict was just under the surface in Italian politics in the late 16th century.

This bureaucratic organization eased the tension in the senate—since they were no longer expected to create policy, and since the Ufficias were evenly split between Reformists and Catholics, the fear of the domination of the nascent Italian state by heathens was weakened. The tension reemerged in the 1580s when the 40 Years War brought a massive question into the senate—who was the Italian League to support? The Ufficialia, which increasingly saw loyalty to Italy as more important than religious differences, argued that Italy should stay out of the conflict. This led to a conflict similar in tone to the French War of Religion. The Italian Civil War startedwhen Augusto Machiavelli ousted the Duke of Modena from his throne and declared himself Dictator, in charge of all Italian militias and militaries.

The Italian Civil War lasted until the early 1600s and ended with Augusto Machiavelli as undisputed ruler of the Dittatura of Modena. After this, Modena continued expanding into the New World and Africa, mostly by taking parts of Brazil by force. Despite the goods that the Modenans traded (gold, slaves, spices and liquor), the Italian colonies are notable for being run as a loose, Portuguese style trading empire through their whole existence. Even in the 19th century, Florence did not set up state-directed companies to do the work of managing the colonies, instead leaving the running of colonial enterprises to private individuals. This likely came out of the structure of the Italian government—although the bureaucracy took over in 1604, this bureaucracy ruled over a set of almost independent city-states. Italy would not ‘unify’ for centuries.

The Kingdom of the Netherlands

The arrival of Willem de Valois to the Republic of Brabant coincided with a massive migration by exiled Protestants to the area. Italian Brentanists, Polish Lutherans, French Calvinists, and a massive amalgamation of Protestants from the Rhineland all traveled to Antwerp and Breda to live new lives in what was seen as the haven of Protestantism. This led to a massive conflict between the remaining Brabantese Catholics, who still controlled the city councils of many of Brabant’s cities and maintained a highly disciplined minority in the Brabant parliament.

Willem, who had developed a reputation for himself as a valiant and capable general (which was untrue at this point—he had only served as “the captain of the cavalry” in the Duke of Lorraine’s house guard, and he hadn’t served in any battle during the French War of Religion), soon became the Marshal of the Armies of Brabant. He used the Brabantese army as his personal fiefdom, mandating lessons in Lutheran theology as well as shooting and drills. By 1605, the Army of Brabant was comprised entirely of devout Lutherans, and had complete loyalty not to the Republic, but to their Marshal.

william_iii_of_orange.jpg

Willem de Valois, destroyer of Brabantese democracy and the father of the Dutch nation

This personal force was used to instigate conflicts with the Catholic community. Brabantese soldiers would start fights with Catholics, which would spur riots. These riots would be brutally put down, thus spawning more riots to be destroyed. In 1608, Valois used these riots to argue for a Public Security Act, which would give him more power to “hunt the enemies of the republic down”. This act met great opposition in the parliament, both from the Catholic faction and from the nobility.

In the end, the act was struck down in parliament. Valois used this event to argue that the parliament had turned against the (protestant) people, and increasing tensions between the Army and the Protestant migrants on one side and the parliament on the other led to the Battle of Breda in 1610, which ended when Valois’ soldiers slaughtered the parliamentarians and established a Kingdom of the Dutchmen.

p-14684-15982.jpg

”The Militia”, a Dutch painting from the 1620s. Valois’ attempt to create a specifically “Dutch” identity out of the massive palette of migrants from around Europe led to massive arts patronage programs, as well as a revived guild system structured similarly to the Dutch army. Like the army, the guilds reported straight to the King, which allowed for a far more controlled economy than ever before

The new Dutch nation was constructed as a specifically Protestant polity, and Willem van Valois made an effort through the 1610s and 20s to create a specifically Dutch identity, drawing on the mercantile and martial skills of the new Dutch migrants and designating several cities as “Havens of Reform”. By 1615, the Netherlands’ population had increased by 40%, and French was the most widely spoken language in Rotterdam and Antwerp.

But this population explosion facilitated another trend—many of the new migrants were fed directly into the army and navy, and the Netherlands was at war for three straight decades after the Treaty of Mayence (indeed in the Netherlands, the war of religion is known as the Seventy Years War). After the short War of the Union (which united all of the provinces of the Netherlands under the Valois crown), Willem looked to the East, and successive wars against the decaying Portuguese empire led to the capture of colonies in Brazilia, around the Caribbean, and one naval base at the mouth of the Mississippi River .

Dutch colonization was a highly state-directed affair. Springing from the cooperation between the guilds, the merchants, and the state, colonies were often populated by people from one single city, and each colony was directed to produce one specific good. Dutch naval superiority allowed the passing of the Navigation Acts in 1620, which disallowed the colonies from trading with their neighbors, forcing all of the Dutch colonial goods to go directly back to the Netherlands. By 1625 the Kingdom of the Netherlands was the richest country the world had ever known.

The Stockholm Union

Unlike the Netherlands and Italy, Sweden had little to no internal religious struggles to fight out during the 40 Years War—indeed it was one of the few major powers that did not have a religious civil war during the time. Even in the Middle Ages, Scandanavian Catholicism had been highly divergent from the Papal States, a product of its huge distance from the core of Europe (both physically and intellectually). When Calvin started the hard job of preaching in the Rhineland, his acolytes were already converting whole towns at a time in Scandinavia. Sweden was one of the first countries to convert to Protestantism, and was one of the major Protestant backers of the League of Stettin through the 40 Years War (though there was little direct Swedish intervention in Germany). Swedish-financed missionaries converted much of Norway and Denmark through this period as well.

By 1580, Scandinavia was a majority-Protestant region. However, the King of the Danish-Norwegian personal union was Francis der Wittelsbach, the son of the Duke of Bavaria. Francis was the champion of Imperial Catholics through the early 40 Years War (which featured numerous defeats of Hapsburg forces), and he saw the conversion of Scandinavia to Catholicism as his pathway to the Imperial Throne. In 1589 Francis called for a general riot by Swedish Catholics, and embarked on a war to “restore the Kalmar Union”. Taking command of the Army of Norway, Francis marched on Stockholm with full expectations of an easy war.

King_Christian_VII_of_Denmark_1789.jpg

Francis Wittelsbach, King of Denmark-Norway and Prince of Bavaria, shown dressed as an Emperor, a title he very much wanted

Francis made numerous mistakes in his planning for the Swedish campaign. He overestimated the abilities of the small minority of Swedish Catholics to attack the Swedish kingdom (indeed nearly all Swedish Catholics were deported to Quebec at the end of the war). He underestimated the problems that his highly sectarian war would place on his country and his army, both of which were majority-Protestant. And he underestimated the abilities of Karl IX.

220px-Friedrich_IV_Pfalz_MATEO.jpg

Karl IX, King of Sweden and (challenged) Elector of Bohemia

Duke Karl of Oberlitz had been a major Bohemian general during the beginning of the 40 Years War, leading the Protestant Army of Moravia in defense against a Hapsburg invasion that ended the existence of the Kingdom of Bohemia. This treaty occurred while the Army of Moravia was mostly intact, and Karl chose to march north and pledge his allegiance to the League of Stettin. He then became one of the great Protestant generals of the 40 Years War, fighting numerous campaigns in his native Bohemia, and stopping five counterattacks into Silesia and Brandenburg.

His great reputation is what led to his being anointed King by the Swedish Regency council in the 1580s, and as King he reformed the Swedish army upon French lines, focusing on a highly maneuverable force that relied on back-breaking cavalry charges and destructive pursuits. So when Karl discovered that Francis was trying to outmaneuver him to Stockholm, he saw an opportunity to crush the Norwegian army and take huge amounts of territory.

The religious divisions of the Norwegian Army (and the generally poor organization of the army) led to multiple conflicts of command and a slow advance, thus even though the Army of Sweden rested and foraged more through the day, they advanced quicker than their foes and succeeded in forcing the larger Army of Norway further north.

WarofKalmar1_zpsd9bd77b5.png

The first part of the War of Kalmar involved an intensive strike into the Swedish center. The far larger and better led Swedish Navy made a naval attack an impossibility

Karl was able to force the Norwegian Army to do battle with him with their backs to the Baltic Sea. With his soldiers well fed, well supplied and well-disciplined and with his foes half-starved and in disarray the outcome of the battle was a foregone conclusion. The death of Francis, however, was not. Shot through with an artillery shell, Francis died on the spot, leaving Denmark-Norway without a king and his army without a general. The Army of Norway collapsed, with its Catholic regiments routing and its Protestant ones defecting. Furthermore Norway and Denmark were racked by revolts by Calvinists who killed their Catholic administrators and defected to the Kingdom of Sweden. By the end of the War of Kalmar, the ‘kingdom’ of Denmark was reduced to an enclave in Sjaeland ruled by the Copenhagen garrison. By 1610 Sjaeland too fell to Protestant unionists, exiling the Danish council to Iceland and leaving Karl IX as the Emperor of Scandinavia.

WarofKalmar2_zpsa652a0ab.png

The War of Kalmar at its end. Note the Protestant revolts around the Norwegian coast and in Denmark. (and ignore the weird colors in Sweden-occupied Norway)

The Scandinavian kingdom then turned to its colonies. Swedish merchants and admirals had already set up a colony on the island of Hainan in the Gulf of Tonkin, but Karl advocated for a more aggressive ‘indirect administration’ strategy, by which Swedish civil servants and merchants extracted a ‘minor’ tariff from the areas they indirectly administrated on behalf of the Ming Emperor. All the same, this minor tariff provided more cash then all of England’s colonies combined in 1580, and Karl IX created a Scandinavian East India Company to manage these profits.

The Scandinavian East India Company was unique at the time because unlike the other European colonizing companies, the SEIC was ‘exploring’ and colonizing lands already settled by established states. This situation led to the development of a new form of colonial government. Scandinavia’s “Tolerant Rule” policy involved simply placing the Scandinavian state above whatever states had been there before. For instance, Swedish Bengal was ruled by the Deva Shah, a local prince who had allied with the Swedes, while the China colony was still technically a part of Ming China and was ruled over by the magistrate of Guangzhou. This allowed Swedish control to be asserted without too much disorder and was allowed the Swedes to take a tariff from their China colony without upsetting the Emperor (after all he still controlled it, and the ‘far south’ had never been well managed anyway).

The one exception to this ‘tolerant rule’ policy was the South Africa colony; set up to protect the ships traveling from the Indian Ocean. Originally a series of naval bases, the colony was expanded after gold was discovered deeper inland. Soon enough the colony was expanded to the size of modern Sudafrika, and Kapstaden (the colonial capital) was a roaring boomtown of 8,000, the center of the SEIC, and the largest European city in Africa.

2287554365_521dc55c87_z.jpg

Kapstaden, center of the Scandinavian East India Company

French colonization in the regency period

The new colonizing powers all found their own way to colonize, but they specialized in a particular form of governance and in particular regions. This made their colonies more defensible and profitable than the amalgamation of governances and regions under French control. Most importantly though, the Modenans and Scandinavians were the first colonizers to move into the East Indies in force, which gave them far larger profits than the New World ever could—the Scandinavian Emperor often boasted that the province of Guangzhou alone gave him a larger profit than all of the Portuguese colonies combined at the Portuguese empire’s height.

But the Modenan pearl operation in the Persian Gulf was also highly profitable, as was the slave trade. The wealth of the East Indies and of Africa led France to start two colonies on the West African coast—Gabon and Angola. These were both slaving centers which ended up populating much of the French Caribbean, and ports on the way to the Indian Ocean. But this was all that the French could do—legally, the Regent was not allowed to declare war or set up state owned corporations. So by 1625, with the inauguration of Henri II, France was ready to expand into the Indian Ocean, and beyond.

Colonies1625_zpse4493c9c.png

The colonies of the great European powers, 1625

Last edited:
I choked on my nut chocolate reading the new entry; too much candy!

As I said, the middle powers are developing rather interestingly, and they all deserve a mention (if only because they're very interesting, but also because they actually are far worse rivals for me than the British or the Spaniards). As such, the next update will be about both the three major northern German states who formed during the 40 Years War, and the military innovations that the war between those three powers fostered

Do the Ottomans control part of present day Brazil?

Do the Ottomans control part of present day Brazil?

No, that's the remnant of the Portuguese colony, though that tip that the Netherlands control had a brief time as Moroccan Brazil (a huge example of how badly Portugal is doing in this game)