• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It says on the page it is an expansion not a DLC. Judging by the amount of content it seems reasonable. Now if a DLC goes for €10 how much is an expansion? Double? Who cares this one is worth it all!

SoI, LoR etc are also expansions... Expansion means 'Big DLC' ;) And the most of the content will be in the free patch.

Seems great.

Though I have a weird feeling, that things like Magyar invasion of Pannonia or Baltic Pagans will get the same amount of love as Swiss Confederacy in The Republic.

This is one of my problems with the start date... Yeah.

200 Years, playing as a landless character, meaningful rebels, etc etc.

Just to stop any rumors, you will not be able to play as a landless character. They will be AI controlled while on their adventure. Also, while the new start date is 867 and you can play all the way to 1453, you cannot start at dates between 867 and 1066 without modding.

Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome and The Republic are (together with patches that follow them) officially called "Expansions" and PI's site calls TOG Fourth Expansion.

What are the differences between DLCs and expansions these days? Size and cost, most would say. Expansion also have a tendency to be boxed, by afaik Paradox is moving away completely from physical copies. So if this DLC is big enough then I think it could deserve to be called "expansion".

I wonder how they'll implement playing as a landless character. Do they preselect some or will there really be a chance to choose a landed ruler and browse their court for landless characters in the selection screen?

I wonder how they'll implement playing as a landless character. Do they preselect some or will there really be a chance to choose a landed ruler and browse their court for landless characters in the selection screen?
Just to stop any rumors, you will not be able to play as a landless character. They will be AI controlled while on their adventure.

This is quite huge. This is not just a Viking expansion but a Viking-Russian expansion since it concentrates on the Rurikovish's with the foundation of this great dynasty. 867 is also the starting year of the Macedonia dynasty in Byzantium when the Empire reached its greatest extent since the Muslim conquests, so maybe they will be some focus on BYZ as well.