• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Vive le pompositie!

Its seem the French are (not without reason) quite pleased with themselves. I like the idea of realist paintings as catalogues for the new aristocracy! The question is, how long will their new peace last? Regencies aren't traditionally known for their calming effect.

LordsofFrance-3.png

The Other Empire: Europeans in China, 1510-1620

With the exception of Quebec, it is safe to say that all of the European colonial adventures in the early 16th century were aimed at one goal—access to East Indian markets. Ever since Marco Polo’s account of Chinese plenty reached Europe in the 1400s, the possibility of gaining access to the huge amount of silks, spices, porcelains and manufactures drove explorations across the Atlantic and around the Horn of Africa. This is as true in 1504, when Colombus landed on the island of Cuba and called it ‘India’ and its habitants ‘Indians’ as it was in 1567, when a French magistrate reached Lake Erie and, thinking that China was on the other side, garbed himself in silk and crossed the lake with tons of silver, only to find modern day Detroit (1).

The first major interaction between Chinese and Europeans came in 1520, when a major Portuguese operation landed in Guangzhou bearing gold and various European goods for trade. What they found was that European goods had little attraction to Chinese merchants. The diary entry of Guan Zhilou shows us just how low quality European manufactures were in comparison with their Chinese competitors—“they foist furnitures and linens of the worst quality on us as if they were made by the finest Zhili craftsmen and expect to buy, with these, high quality porcelains and works of art”.

NanbanGroup.JPG

A Chinese painting of an English trading family stationed in Guangzhou

The only item that fetched any price, the Portuguese found, was gold. While precious metals were well known in Ming China, Gold was a novelty with which the Portuguese were able to buy a great quality of Chinese produce and goods. The Portuguese operation left, and the Guangzhou merchants waited with bated breath for the next trip.

A decade passed before another group of Europeans came to China. The travelers were highly strange to their hosts—“Their skins pale, as if painted, and their hair golden as if made with straw”. These were Swedish traders. Sweden, blocked out of Atlantic trading routes by the English, French, and Spanish, had set up a small collection of sparse naval bases along the African coasts and in modern day Bangladesh. The Swedes were, furthermore, cleverer than their Portuguese counterparts, for they brought rare goods found along their traveling route (Coffee, Tobacco, Indian spices) with them for trade, and they soon set up a major trading post in the island of Hainan in China’s farthest southern reaches. English and French trading missions soon followed.

20070620-0000000453.jpg

Hainan Island, the center of the Scandinavian Empire in the East starting in 1540

Although the European trading missions encountered resistance through the Qiangli Emperor’s life, his grandson Zhu Houcong (who called himself the Plentiful Emperor) was deeply concerned with the wellbeing of his people and the large number of problems that had cropped up along the Grand Canal.
The Grand Canal, which connected Fujian to the capital, had created a growing array of travelers and smugglers. Beyond this, pirates and brigands grew into a major problem through the 16th century, as discontented Chinese farmers were forced by natural disasters into illegal activities. Although the Europeans still had relatively little to trade, their advanced ships and skilled crews allowed them to fight pirates with ease, and soon the Europeans found themselves fighting pirates along the Chinese shore. According to Swedish accounts as much as a quarter of the Swedish navy was located in East Asia as early as 1550.

These anti-pirating (and anti-brigadeering) activities gave the Swedes more and more influence in the Far South of China, which was used to self-governance. In 1540 the Stockholm East India Company took over the courier routes in Guangdong, Guangxi, and Hainan. This influence grew, and while the SEIC never directly administered land outside of Hainan, the company remained one of the largest in the world until the 18th century.

tn_cn-map-yangtze-high-speed-lines-copyright-railwaygazette_01_26b0535b29.jpg

While Scandinavian China was one of the most profitable colonies in early modern history, the true center of Chinese-European engagement was Suzhou and Fujian, the economic centers of the Ming Empire.

Europe’s interaction with China was not limited to military or financial adventures, however. Jesuits, particularly French Jesuits, were active throughout the Chinese Coast, particularly in the great metropolis of Ming China, Suzhou. Christianity in China was of a strange breed—one regularly found Catholics and Protestants cooperating in the great project to convert the Chinese to the one true faith. But conversions were rare and few between—sermons were seen as an oddity, the Bible was seen as overly demanding, and China’s syncretic traditions meant that even when someone chose to ‘convert’, they usually chose to worship Christ along with Lao Tzu, the Buddha, Confucius, and the ancients in their own lineage.

Into this gap stepped Joachim de Saint-Chaumond. Born in 1574 of Scandinavian and French merchant families in Suzhou, Saint Chaumond was greatly attracted to the Jesuit cause at an early age (as they were the only people who were able to teach him in his home language—Sait Chaumond ended his life fluent in Chinese, French, Latin, and Italian, but even after 30 years living in Paris his inflection was still described as odd). His position as a Frenchman who spoke Chinese as a first language made him a great missionary, but his background as the child of merchant families allowed him to see flaws in the Jesuit’s methods.

220px-Nicolas_Malebranche.jpg

Saint Chaumond was one of the great philosophers of the 17th century, being able to speak as an outsider from Europe’s intellectual traditions even though he was schooled in the Classics and in contemporary European philosophy

“The Chinese do not understand monotheism as we do”, he wrote at the age of 20. Drawing on Medieval Christian histories, Saint Chaumond compared China to the Roman Empire in the centuries before Christ. Without the Jewish monotheistic tradition, the Roman concept of equality, and Greek philosophy, he argued, the Palestinians wouldn’t be able to even comprehend the teaching of Christ, let alone follow them. “We must first introduce them to Christ, in their language, in the way that they are used to, before we begin to add them to our flock”.

Fortunately, the Chinese were “more literate, more willing to find odd books, and more open to new ideas” than the Europeans were (2). With this, Saint Chaumond opened a Jesuit publishing company, which published Christian texts in the Chinese language. The most popular of these books, Words of the Sage, Jesus, was based Jesus’ parables and was structured in a similar fashion to popular Chinese philosophical texts, such as Master of the Three Ways, the Dao de Jiang, or the I-Ching. Although he made efforts to suppress this knowledge, modern historians say that Words of the Sage was likely adapted from the Latin by Saint Chaumond himself.

chinesemadonna.jpg

Chinese Christianity became a far stronger force after the publishing of Words of the Sage, which reached an estimated 20,000 Chinese villages

The news of his homeland’s civil war greatly troubled Saint Chaumond. However, he feared repercussions were he to move to France. His unconventional methods, his questionable ancestry, and, most of all, the books he had written praising Chinese governance and the Plentiful Emperor. But this forced separation pained Saint Chaumond. “Every day, I dream of the land of my father. Every day, I know that the land of my father is in its greatest moment of strife, and that I can do nothing to help it.” It was only in 1611, when news of an armistice reached Suzhou, that Saint-Chaumond considered traveling to Europe. By this time de Rochemont was a fully grown man who had to take great pains to practice his French and his Latin, “lest they sweep away from me like the petals of a plum tree in Autumn”. The trip, which took over a year and allowed Saint Chaumond to see Scandinavian Bengal, the Transixonian and Ottoman Empires, and the city of Venice, ended in Provence at the very end of Louis XII’s life. Little is known of Joachim's life between 1612 and 1615, but we know that in 1615, Saint Chaumond was informed of an open position as tutor of Henri II.

1-This really happened!
2-This ‘willingness to new ideas’ concept came in the middle of the 40 Years War, which reverberated in European communities around the world—it likely reflected de Rochemont’s anger that his Scandinavian and Protestant ancestry had come under fire in the 1580s.

Last edited:
I really enjoy reading your writing. I learn stuff, is good. Also, as a math man you can see this intellectual/ideological transformation you describe even in the mathematics of the day, which of course went hand in hand with the scientific developments as well.

I try, but in the end I'm just a history man.

Great update! I shan't be giving to much positive feedback because I don't want to sound strange, I would though if it wasn't for that. Hope the rest of the AAR continues in the same manner :)

Feel free to feel weird! I've felt that feel a bunch of times reading AARs ('Explorations in Strategy' continues to blow me away). Also I'm so sorry that I didn't get to send something into the AARlander!

Vive le pompositie!

Its seem the French are (not without reason) quite pleased with themselves. I like the idea of realist paintings as catalogues for the new aristocracy! The question is, how long will their new peace last? Regencies aren't traditionally known for their calming effect.

The realist paintings as catalogs idea came from the gazetteers of Ming China, which cataloged all items in the immediate region while discussing which were good for 'refined individuals'.

While I understand the idea behind making it impossible for regents to declare war, it does seem odd that regencies tend to be periods of peace. I try to stimulate the conflict over the Prince a couple of chapters from now, but it'll be a mostly peaceful conflict.

Ah, Scandanavian Bengal...
Interesting that France has had little to do with the Far East yet...

I'm seriously psyched to show you guys the colonial situation that develops from this. Never before have I had a game that's so balanced.

aye, it is interesting to see the dynamics around Africa/India/China developing in a very different manner ... I guess like Portugal the issue for Sweden is whether they are strong enough to sustain such an early lead when the main European powers stick their noses in

“Their skins pale, as if painted, and their hair golden as if made with straw”

I resent having my hair compared to straw but my inner patriot is quite excited about Sweden being among the first global powers.

Any plans to seize a small colonial concession from china?

Ming China is going to be the next big plotline thing starting around Henri II's ascension. It won't necessarily be a colonial concession, it's going to be a bit bigger than that...

“Their skins pale, as if painted, and their hair golden as if made with straw”

I resent having my hair compared to straw but my inner patriot is quite excited about Sweden being among the first global powers.

Yeah I'm really impressed by Sweden in game.

Last edited:
A note about the next entry--I misremembered Joachim de Rochemont's name--it's actually Joachim de Saint Chaumond (a way cooler name). I'm going to edit the last entry tomorrow (I'm just finishing posting this then going out to a bar with some classmates)

LordsofFrance-3.png

L’Empire chapter 3: Paris under Vigny

In the last two chapters I have discussed the intellectual trends which dominated Paris in the immediate aftermath of the Treaty of Mainz. I have also discussed the growth of the Univerites in Paris and the interaction between Europe and Ming China which will come to a head in the 1640s. But now I will return to the ‘present day’ of Paris in 1612, because the ideas of the Enlightenment had a strong countervailing force in the regency period. I am talking, of course, of the Comte de Vigny, who became regent on Louis XII’s deathbed by force of arms.

Philippe1erOrleans_B.jpg

The Comte de Vigny, who was the Recruitmaster of Louis XII’s later reign, attained critical significance in the 1610s through his control of the Gardes du Paris. Note that he was usually depicted with Louis XII-style wig.

You will recall that during the Religious Wars in France, the provincial garrisons were centralized under the Crown’s authority, and that in order to protect the capitol, a small army was formed—the Gardes du Paris. However, with the King’s failing health, this power was soon delegated to the Duc de Tilly, who used his power to attack Hugenots and cut down on dissent by Germanophonic Frenchmen in Paris and throughout the Kingdom. These acts earned Vigny the title of tyrant, but it soon became clear that Tilly had actually underestimated the kind of power that the Milice Declaration could bestow to the Recruiting Master.

Joachim de Vigny was a career officer. He was the youngest son of the tyrannical Duc de Mobil, who had built himself an empire within central France by marriage, blood ties, and his position as governor. By the birth of Joachim, Mobil had inherited nearly all of the land in his province, and Vigny found himself critically neglected in a family which must have numbered in the 100s. Raised by his nannies, de Vigny grew into a pretentious, thin skinned man with an inflated sense of importance and a deflated confidence. In 1580, with the destruction of the Armee de Bourbon on the Alps, Joachim moved to Orleans and studied in the French Army Academy, where he was a mediocre student. Indeed, his hardline views and his suspicious nature led to his assignment to recruitmaster in the province of Bruges, an out of the way title for someone as well-born as Vigny. On the way to Bruges, the young Joachim expressed a fear that he was destined to nothingness. This fear melted away once he realized that he would be serving under the Duc de Tilly.

300px-Galileo_before_the_Holy_Office.jpg

The Inquisition made a comeback under Vigny, and for two decades they persecuted Huguenots and, later, free-thinking philosophers

Vigny was instrumental to the oppressive policies created by Tilly, going so far as to revive the Cosmopolitaine Inquisition to deal with the ‘Huguenot threat’. His zeal and his willingness to skirt the fringes of French law gained him much respect among the Catholic hard-liners, and in 1594 Vigny became the government’s unofficial ambassador to the Catholiques faction and the leader of the Parisian militia after the assassination attempt on Louis XII. Through his control of the Parisian militia, Vigny was able to eliminate several rivals, including the Duc Vaintesse, the government’s chief judge. In 1612, Vigny was able to use his connections in both the government and the Catholiques faction to become the Regent of the Prince Henri, and through the first half of the regency period, he maintained an iron grip on Paris.

Vigny is remembered in French history as a Catholic zealot for his oppression of the Huguenots and the Philosophes faction. But recent scholarship on Vigny’s attack on the monasteries gives a different image—Vigny was a died-in-the-wool autocrat the likes of which France had not seen since Charles VII was killed by a cobblestone. Many of Vigny’s policies throughout the regency period make far more sense when one realizes that his only goal was accruing more power to the French state. I will give a series of examples of the policies Vigny enacted in the early regency period, which is generally defined as being from 1612-1616.

The Deportation of the Huguenots

The War of Hispaniola, and the subsequent colonization of the southern Brazilian coast, left France with a huge amount of new territory in the previously unadministered areas of the Caribbean and South America. This led to a conflict between the French and Quebecois governments. During the 40 Years War, Louis XII had devolved a certain level of governance to the Bishop of Quebec, a position now filled by the fire-throated master of realpolitick (the man later known as the ‘Father of Canada’), Bishop de Richelieu. Richelieu argued that, as Quebecois soldiers had liberated Hispaniola and were now serving in the garrisons of Antartique Sud*, that the Quebecois government (meaning the Jesuits) had the right to govern France’s new territories in the New World.

cardinal-richelieu-3-sized.jpg

The Bishop Richelieu’s achievements included building a religious-bureaucratic state in Quebec (that would become the foundation for the later Canadian government) and integrating the last of the Indian tribes under Jesuit rule[​

Vigny would have none of this. Haiti (as the French viceroyality in the Caribbean was called) was already one of France’s richest colonies, while Quebec’s self-governance had led to a weakening of commerce and lowered tariffs. Furthermore, even in the early 17th century there was a separatist movement within the Quebecois Jesuits, who wanted to complete their Catholic-Utopian project by completely severing ties with the Old World. Vigny knew that giving Richelieu control over the entirety of the new world colonies would mean the slow easing of the grip the French government had over her territories. However, the Quebecois Jesuits were already de facto administrating France’s South American colonies, which left the question of how to break the Jesuit rule.

EU3_43-9.jpg

The deportation of the Huguenots to the Bahamas and Turks Islands

Vigny found the answer in the still sizable Huguenot population in Alsace-Lorraine. This newly conquered region was still mostly administered and ruled by Protestants, and was one of the few places in France where Huguenots were a majority of the populace. Vigny descended on the region, banishing Huguenots from the government offices while announcing that any and all discriminatory policies against Huguenots were to be rescinded in Haiti and Antartique Sud. This led to a massive outflow of Protestants and the swift expansion of France’s South American colonies. In the space of a decade, Haiti’s population had doubled and Antartique Sud (now renamed Bresil) had expanded to include the whole south-Brazilian coast. Most importantly, the new Huguenot migrants were far more dependent on the French government than the Jesuits were, and the Huguenot colonies remained faithful to the Kingdom of France well into the 18th century.

FrenchcoloniesinSouthAmerica.png

The Bresil and Haiti colonies, 1650

The Monastic Acts

Under Louis XI, the rapid expansion of the monasteries was accompanied by a degree of decentralization of power—the monasteries were allowed to keep their own legal systems and courts. Clerical peasants and traveling merchants alike often found themselves under prosecution for breaking obscure religious laws or for offering loans. The control that the monasteries had over the legal system made commerce slow and difficult—especially in the south, where monasteries still dominated the landscape.

Vigny responded to this problem by crafting a series of acts aimed at weakening the legal power of the monasteries and the clergy. The first, the Merchants & Usury Act of 1614, put merchants directly under the Royal Courts system, and forbade Provincial or Clerical courts from trying usury cases. The fact that such an expansion of Royal Court responsibilities was even conceivable is evidence of Vigny’s other legacy—the expansion of a centralized court system out of the Ile de France area and into the wider French countryside. Furthermore the fact that commerce and usury were such major issues in localities far from the French mercantile core tells us a lot about the development of commerce in the Kingdom of France (a subject I will touch on in a later entry).

panoramic-images-courthouse-marseille-france.jpg

The Marseilles Royal Courthouse was rebuilt in 1670, but records show that there was a royal courthouse in Marseilles as early as 1617. Vigny spent much of his time doing away with the old customary law traditions and replacing them with a central legal apparatus. It was only due to these efforts that the liberal edicts of Henri II had any effect

The next major clerical legislation is the Peasantry Act of 1613, which (among other things) delegated prosecution of the peasantry to the Provincial Courts. This delegation cut down on prosecution in the provinces—the Bordeux Court had 152 cases in the year of 1615, a rise of more than a hundred from the last year, but when one considers that the Luxey Monastery, which was only a couple of kilometers from Bordeaux, had over 200 cases the year before (mostly dealing with infidelity and religious issues), we can safely say that the Peasantry Act cut down on prosecution and allowed the average subject of France to live with more peace of mind.

The last act, the Clergy Act of 1614, ended the Clerical Courts system and replaced it with a set of civic rights for the clergy, including state pensions and protections. When prosecuted, clergy were tried in the Royal Courts via a special method (and often received laxer punishments), but were not tried in a separate court system. This dissolution of the clerical courts, which hasn’t been focused on until the recent past, was highly controversial when it was passed. The Pope himself objected to the Clergy Act, and it was only after several years of increased tribute (and French patronage of the burgeoning religious arts industry in Avignon) that relations were normalized again.

EU3_12-20.jpg

The Clergy Acts

The Hiring of Joachim de Saint Chaumond

Knowing both Vigny’s and Saint Chaumond’s backgrounds, why did Vigny hire Saint Chaumond as the tutor of Prince Henri in 1616? Considering de Saint-Chaumond’s place as a minor Jesuit celebrity in the 1610s and his relatively well known academic record (not exactly ‘liberal’, which wasn’t an existent ideology in the 17th century, but his writings, which supported freedom of speech and spoke positively of the heathen Ming Empire) would both seem to turn off Vigny, who had spent his recent career putting down the Jesuits.

However, most of the ‘rivalry’ between Saint Chaumond and Vigny was constructed in the 19th and 20th centuries and had more to do with their images seen centuries later. It would seem odd to a 19th century historian that Saint Chaumond, the father of the Enlightenment, would get along with and support the actions of the tyrannical Vigny. But Saint Chaumond and Vigny got along famously well in the early regency period—they agreed on the necessity of expanding the state (which was helped by Saint Chaumond’s knowledge of the more expansive state in China), and Saint Chaumond’s position as a free thinking philosopher and a successful missionary made him a great asset to Vigny, who was aware of his poor relations with the academics and clergy**. In fact, the middle regency was characterized by a large amount of cooperation between Vigny and Saint Chaumond, who was given a Counsel seat in 1617, towards comprehensive reforms of the French clergy and state.

*The admittedly confusing name of the French colony in Brazil
**The Magna Mundi 'faction' for the academia is the 'Intellectuals Faction', which is anachronistically named--the term 'intellectual' emerged from the Dreyfus Affair. I'll call them the Philosophes faction (what they called themselves in the late 17th/early 18th century if and when they become a major factor in court politics.

So France might actually be moving towards some form of tolerance towards other religions? That would certanly be welcome after the tyrranical escapades of Tilly in the rhineland. (Despite Tilly's BS claim that it wasn't about religion)

So France might actually be moving towards some form of tolerance towards other religions? That would certanly be welcome after the tyrranical escapades of Tilly in the rhineland. (Despite Tilly's BS claim that it wasn't about religion)

It's similar to how the FBI freakin out about the civil rights movement 'wasn't about racism', or how European/American security organizations keeping tabs on immigrant groups isn't xenophobic. To some extent, it certainly is. But to an authoritarian mindset, any liberationist group is a threat. Tilly's hatred of Protestants only became a policy because Protestants were seen as a threat--he likely hated cockroaches and rats too, but he wasn't likely to make policy against them.

A question--What would you guys want next? I could do an entry on the larger precedents set by the War of Hispaniola (IE, colonial wars--the rise of the Dutch and the Scandinavians as colonial powers, the race East to have bases in China), the evolution of the Quebecois government, or the economic situation in the French countryside.

Last edited:
The other colonial empires would be an interseting update. You already sorta gave a prewiev but a larger, more in depth entry would be nice seeing as there are no major threats to France in Europe a the moment.

well Vigny was one hard hearted pragmatist, definitely not one to have any qualms at setting his enemies (or those he saw as such) at each others throats

Without a doubt. I need to go a little deeper into his personality in the entry on the mid-regency period, but he is a great example of authoritarianism that takes the ideology of its time.

The other colonial empires would be an interseting update. You already sorta gave a prewiev but a larger, more in depth entry would be nice seeing as there are no major threats to France in Europe a the moment.

True. And given that, I'm going to focus on Europe's colonial expansion in the next section! (which I'll probably get to around Friday--I made the huge mistake of volunteering to give the first presentation on my amazing class in Org Theory--but this presentation is 15% of the total grade so I can't screw it up)