• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Co_Karoliina

Developer
Oct 1, 2010
www.colossalorder.fi
The heart of Cities in Motion is the vehicles. Big and small, fast and slow, every vehicle is unique and gives its special flavour to the game. With Cities in Motion 2, we have put effort to making the vehicles better balanced and to make sure that every one of them is useful from the start to the end. The basic vehicles featured in Cities in Motion are bus, tram and metro—just like in the first game.

bus1.jpg

Buses are the tireless workmen of the streets, they run on gasoline and are very dependent on other traffic. The basic concept is that the longer the route, the smaller and faster the bus is what you should choose for it. Large, slow buses are excellent for short inner city routes with lots of passengers, and tiny, fast vehicles work well in less crowded situations.

The greatest new addition to building bus lines are waypoints. You can now more accurately choose the route your buses drive without placing any extra stops that need maintenance and might disrupt the flow of traffic. Waypoints are a great way to guide your vehicles away from heavy traffic and create optimized routes.

Another improvement is bus lanes. You can choose a road type with special bus lanes to keep your vehicles away from traffic jams. Bus lanes have a maintenance cost, but they can really pay off in dense city center traffic.

tram1.jpg

Trams are more modern, sleek, and naturally need rails to run on. As such, they are excellent for city centers and can benefit greatly from some road types, like avenues with a special area for tram tracks away from other traffic. With the new, bigger map sizes we expect trams to perform even better than before since there can now be much larger cities created and, thus, bigger city centers.

Metro tracks have lots of new features. Instead of three underground layers, you can now build as deep or high as you like. The depth or height affects the cost, naturally, since it’s more expensive to build very deep or very high than near the ground surface. With this change, you can now have more lines without intersections and not make the underground too crowded. The metro system is still being polished, we want to make it’s very flexible but still easy to use at the same time; it’s a challenge!

metro1.jpg

While there are not as many vehicles as the first game—there are more vehicle types, though—we are working hard to make the vehicles that are included are as balanced as possible so that every vehicle will have its uses throughout the game. When not in use, vehicles reside in depots and receive maintenance to keep them in top shape. If your line schedule is too tight, vehicles don’t have the time to receive enough maintenance in the depot and might experience more breakdowns. You should also keep an eye on the maintenance personnel’s wages – the better the pay, the more efficient the workers are — this way you can either have vehicles stay longer in the depot or have higher wages for the maintenance personnel and thus have more operating time from the vehicles. It’s your choice!

There are naturally more vehicle types in Cities in Motion 2, so stay tuned for the next developer diary on vehicles!

Karoliina Korppoo
Game Designer
Colossal Order

hi Karoliina
great write up for CIM 2 and great pictures I can not wait for next developer diary
soon I hope, I like the picture number 3 the metro-1 train, would love see a video
showing these new vehicles

thanks
Aleksander

hey karoliina

what would like to see a game play video of the new metro train system in action because when I play the game I build 2 metro line from one side of the map and from top to buttom they make a lot money

I have 4 metro trains on each line ad 8 bus lines as feeder lines for metro

Can we make sure that all the vehicles have useful capacities?

Also, can buses overtake broken vehicles, like broken other buses? Because otherwise, they are just cheap streetcars on invisible rails. Buses are supposed to be flexible, being able to drive around any obstacle when other vehicles can not.

Thank you for the update.

Another improvement is bus lanes. You can choose a road type with special bus lanes to keep your vehicles away from traffic jams. Bus lanes have a maintenance cost, but they can really pay off in dense city center traffic.
What if the city starts off with some bus lanes already in place? Does the player have to pay for maintenance on those lanes even though they didn't build/request them, and may not even be using them? What about in multiplayer, is the total cost of bus lanes split between every company?

I really enjoyed this update! The vehicles look very nice, and I always love picking the optimal vehicle for the route, whether it be a busy inner city route or a long-distance rural route. I think I see some hints that depots won't need to be directly connected to routes, which is great. I agree with the above posts though, I think all vehicles should have capacities that more closely match the real world. In CIM1, you had to put so many buses on the road to serve a very small number of passengers, they would actually cause traffic jams by themselves!

The biggest put-offs in CiM were: unreal small capacity vehicles and every-two-second breakdowns.

Please, have that in mind creating CiM2. Looks good so far.

Can we make sure that all the vehicles have useful capacities?

Also, can buses overtake broken vehicles, like broken other buses? Because otherwise, they are just cheap streetcars on invisible rails. Buses are supposed to be flexible, being able to drive around any obstacle when other vehicles can not.

Thank you for the update.

I really enjoyed this update! The vehicles look very nice, and I always love picking the optimal vehicle for the route, whether it be a busy inner city route or a long-distance rural route. I think I see some hints that depots won't need to be directly connected to routes, which is great. I agree with the above posts though, I think all vehicles should have capacities that more closely match the real world. In CIM1, you had to put so many buses on the road to serve a very small number of passengers, they would actually cause traffic jams by themselves!

I agree with all the posters above. Capacity for vehicles needs to be higher and more realistic. Or number of passengers should be less.

Wow, I'm so impressed; the metro flexibility is a great feature (i.e. The limitless depth in which the underground metro stations accommodate, Flexible metro stations that run along the track which can curve in collaboration with the already present rail)... waypoints are another great feature for buses (the same concept used in OpenTTD, which, I hope is your inspiration for this game), although, I do have a little bit of a criticism in the midst of all this positivity: The metro as showcased in the picture does not seem to have a reverser (another segment like the front of the train where it is driven, but on the back), however, it does give the impression that you can customize the amount of carriages on a metro which I'm hoping is a feature implemented in the game.

On the bus lane showcased in the first image; it suggests that the bus can only go forward or turn, so, is that not applicable to buses or is it an inevitable turn right or straight ahead. -I'm assuming this isn't true...
Maybe a good idea would be to change the lanes that only allow cars to turn or go straight, or is that too customizable? I'd really like the bus lanes to become one of the most immersing features of the game because, overall, it does revolutionize some aspects of gameplay. By the way, you should make the capacity on that tram real-capacity (not many people will be happy about a 30 seated tram the size of two articulated buses...) Anywho, it does seem that trams and buses will excel in this new sequel (unlike their burden upon the previous Cities in Motion 1)

However, in despite of all my sophisticated criticism, I have come to a conclusion that Cities in Motion 2 is going in all the right directions, (and I couldn't be more persuaded by these very convincing images): The unique vehicles in the game all allege to their distinctive characteristics, likewise, as you stated in the diary;
With Cities in Motion 2, we have put effort to making the vehicles better balanced and to make sure that every one of them is useful from the start to the end

-keep up the good work and let us in for some more surprising diaries! :D

Last edited:
I think that by building bus lanes and purchasing high capacity buses you will be able to create a BRT system.

So no ferries and no helicopters then. That's fine with me; ferries have limited use and I never used helicopters myself.
Vehicles cannot have real world capacities! That would kill the balance!
Well, it depends on how many people live in a city. If a large city actually has 1 to 2 million residents, then I would expect a bus capable of carrying 60 passengers. More likely, though, if it's like how it was in CiM 1 with a large city having 30,000 residents, than smaller vehicles are called for.
Given that maps are going to be larger, I would expect that vehicle capacities will be rebalanced.

Awesome, a single tram track. I've always wanted those in CiM for those lines that only go in one direction. Dare I ask...does that mean there are going to be one-way roads too? In any case, the roads and bus lanes look great already.