• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks! The move sure went well, everything is here and nothing went wrong. As they say in the movies: "i think i am going to like this America!" :laugh:

At the end of December, or whenever the snow falls across my front, i am going to halt for winter. It seems the Dnieper was a bit of a lofty goal, but when things are going well you cant help but get carried away :p I could settle with my front established along the Southern Bug instead though.

A thought did occur. I have fought to secure various river lines to establish my defensive positions on. As seen by my failed attempt to storm the Pripet River, i might not be able to breakout come 1942!

Winter is near! Does that mean a Soviet counterattack?? Or already are they just to badly mauled and now its cleanup?? Usually if u havent taken Moscow or Leningrad by 1941 it gets pretty tough.

I hope they manage to launch a massive counterattack. I will be racking up the difficulty also. I am also going to leave the Japanese and Americans to the AI, if there is no Pacific War by the end of 1942 i guess i will start it myself. So unless those two go to war, i just have to worry about the British building up their strength and launching a new invasion.

December: another Christmas at war

With the arrival of December and winter, the temperature plummeted across the frontline. In the north, where the troops had dug in and created winter positions, the ground had frozen over and the temperature dropped to 10 below. Along the centre of the front it was slightly warmer at minus 3. The marshes covered in mud saw the continuation of the fighting for Sarny and Pinsk, while further south the frozen ground allowed the resumption of armoured attacks. The objective of advancing to the Dnieper River and taking Kiev was dropped; seizing the Stalin Line was now the main goal.

winterpocket.jpg

The new pocket.​

On 7 December, a heavy attack was launched to retake the nuclear research facility at Sarny. Days later it was taken but attempts to take Pinsk, following the routing Soviet troopers, was repulsed. To the south, panzer attacks threw the Soviets onto the back front and drove back various Soviet positions. Although a repeated cross-river attack by Second and Sixth armies was repulsed. Recognising a weak point in the Soviet line, the direction of several attacks were changed and an estimated 40,000 Soviet troops were encircled. In one sector Iraqi troops were identified and engaged, in the first skirmish over 100 soldiers were killed for the loss of only five of our own men raising serious questions about the quality of troops being rushed in to aid the Soviet Union.

Korets.jpg

At Korets, one of the largest tank battles of the campaign had begun. On 14 December, across the frozen ground and in a blizzard the 17th Panzer Division and the 2nd SS Panzer Division engaged two Soviet armoured formations head on. Screened by anti-tank guns and an infantry division, the Soviet armour was able to repulse the initial attacks, but their own counterattacks fell on equally well concealed gun positions. The next day, the 20th Panzer Division arrived, and a renewed attack was launched. Attacking head on, the 2nd SS pinned down the Soviet force while the army panzer divisions swung around the flanks. The Soviet infantry was routed and an all-out tank melee started when the defensive gun line cracked. For the next five days a swirling armour battle took place in a torrent of snow. After five days of fighting and hundreds of tanks lost, both sides were exhausted. One Soviet division had fled, only to be replaced by a motorised infantry division, and the remaining one was barely combat ready. With dire need to repair the wrecked machines, several German infantry divisions – which had been held back awaiting victory so they could push for the Stalin Line – were fed into the battle and the panzer divisions were withdrawn. A sub-zero infantry battle would carry on for the remainder of the month with a mounting casualty rate on both sides.

Korets1.jpg

Panzers during the battle.

Korets3.png

An ambushed and destroyed Soviet tank column, photographed after the battle.​

The month ended with the strategic objectives set, once again not being achieved. Pinsk had not been retaken, and a pocket of Soviet troops – behind the frontline – had not been crushed. However, numerous tactical advances had been made seizing addition portions of the Stalin Line.

Last edited:
Barbarossa: A retrospect

While it had been suggested mid-campaign, it was now 100 per cent fact: Operation Barbarossa had failed. All of the original objectives had not been met, and now even the limited goal of breaching the Stalin Line along its entire length had failed. Although, the Soviet threat to the Reich had been removed and a significant barrier created between the Red Army and the homeland.

endofyearfrontline.jpg

The frontline at the end of the year.​

Further fighting, in horrendous winter conditions against fortified positions, was to be called off and the panzer divisions withdrawn from the front. The armies south of the Pinsk marshes were to be put back into some form of order in order to strengthen the front over the coming winter months. Reorganisation was also planned. A new army group was formed, Army Group South Ukraine, and Army Group South, at the end of 1941, was renamed Army Group North Ukraine.

No solid plans had yet been made for 1942, although a number of choices existed: an attack towards Leningrad, the resumption of the offensive towards Moscow, a limited attack towards Kiev and the clearing of the Ukraine, or a full frontal general offensive. However, while OKH was still weighing up its options, OKW was pressing hard for the recall of at least one panzer group and the mountain corps to be deployed to Greece. While no real threat existed, so our best intelligence estimate suggested, from the United Kingdom; OB West was also pressing hard for panzer divisions to be transferred to France just in case.

Barbarossa had inflicted a heavy toll upon the Wehrmacht. Total losses had reached 299,912. 274,281 soldiers had been killed, and 21,511 captured. Some of the hardest hit divisions happened to be the airborne units. Initially placed in strategic reserve then committed to ground combat, over one-third of the paratroopers had been killed during the campaign. The Luftwaffe did not have an easy campaign either, losing 790 air crew killed and a further 830 captured. 754 Bf 109 fighters had been shot down (more than the previous 21 months of fighting prior to Barbarossa), along with 156 DO 215 and 264 JU 88 bombers.

According to all intelligence sources – captured documents, body counts, intercepted information etc. – the Soviet Union had lost a total of 1,070,009 men. The Red Army itself had bore the brunt, suffering 459,296 deaths with a further 608,835 being marched into prisoner cages. The Red Air Force had suffered even more than the Luftwaffe: 1,370 fighters had been confirmed shot down, along with 64 IL-2 ground attack aircraft, and 100 other bombers.

Last edited:
I agree with Superjames. Nice when the game doesn't go so easy. I love it when I have to struggle to contain an offensive by the enemy.....pulling troops from one front to plug the gaps, etc. Unfortunately my fingernails start to disappear when that happens..........

Hi guys, thanks very much for the kind comments. I agree, the more things go wrong the more fun it is. I have played campaigns where due to a single strategic decission the entire campaign becomes a cakewalk and it does not stay fun ... so here is to more trouble!

Glad to hear it! Looking forward for this AAR to continue.

Thanks KLorberau, i shall be posting updates as soon as i get the photos uploaded in a few moments!

Edit: It seems one has ran out of time, the rest of the updates shall have to wait for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Interlude: the winter Olympics

The opening week of 1942, saw the conclusion of fighting on the Eastern Front. In sub-zero conditions, Pinsk was stormed and retaken. The remaining pocket of encircled Soviet troops, was soon after crushed. In only a week, around 100,000 prisoners were taken. Fighting soon died down across the front and the last Soviet counterattacks were driven off.

crZmX6Q.jpg

Dramatic painting from the Reich's national newspaper,
depicting the fending off of the final Soviet offensives of the winter.​

As the temperature continued to drop, stalemate formed across the entire frontline. With no fighting taking place, the armies of Army Groups North and South Ukraine were able to proceed to reform in peace. By the end of January, the front had been rebuilt and armies and various divisions moved into reserve. Restructuring and reinforcing was then able to proceed. Large drafts of infantry replacements started to arrive on the front bringing the much depleted rifle companies back up to full strength. However, while infantry replacements had been forthcoming, the same could not be said of the Officer Corps. Serious losses in platoon and company commanders, along with the rapid expansion of the army, had brought about a serious shortfall in the number of junior and general staff officers. By April, the Wehrmacht was still 50,000 officers short of what was recommended. An overall of the chain of command also took place. Various Army and Corps commanders were demoted, and a number of divisional commanders promoted to take their place. After several weeks of rearranging, the best men had been placed in command. This was especially true of Army Group North, where excellent commanders who had shown themselves to be proficient in river crossing operations took over most posts.

officers.jpg

By spring 1942, 105 infantry divisions were manning the length of the Eastern Front, with 11 divisions in reserve, and 28 panzer divisions poised ready to strike. Elsewhere, 40 Divisions were based in France and the Low Countries, and a further 21 were positioned within the Greater Reich and Denmark. The training and expansion of the army had been cut back. Over 100,000 men had been drafted to form nine new divisions, which would be deployed during the course of the year. A similar number were also in training to man the nine new panzer divisions that were being formed, although only six would be deployed sometime during 1942. After the deployment of these panzer divisions, OKW believed no more would not be sustainable. Efforts were also being made to form several new cavalry divisions to act in the rear of the army groups, and large drafts of men were being trained to replace the expected casualties.

The fighting on the Eastern Front, had stolen the spotlight of the war. As a result, the economic side of the conflict had been ignored. During the course of Operation Barbarossa, the Western Allies and Soviet fleets had decimated the German merchant marine. With only a few ships left, conducting the dangerous Atlantic crossing to Mexico and the United States, the Reich had largely been cut off from her primarily source of oil and rare materials such as rubber. With so much of their goods sinking aboard German vessels, the United States and Mexico refused to expand their deals with the Reich or increase the tonnage they would exchange. To counter this issue a total occupation of Denmark was initiated and a new round of trade deals was made with various European countries. With the supply of rare metals and rubber rapidly running out, the deficit was overcome just in time to keep the war going.

With the winter stalemate, came the opportunity to tackle other strategic issues. Italy had for months been bogged down fighting the Greeks. Following the conclusion of the Yugoslavian campaign, the Italian-Bulgarian armies pushed the Greeks out of Albania and southern Yugoslavia, and back into Greece. The Bulgarians then dropped out of the campaign. The Italians fought a series of bloody battles slowly pushing the Greeks south. In turn, the Greek Army was able to retreat to Athens and to their "national redoubt" at Astakos. From these two positions, regardless of the damage inflicted upon the Greek capital from Italian artillery and air craft, the Greek Army was able to keep the Italians at bay.

Greece.png

The frontline in Greece, static for at least five months.​

In an attempt to secure the southern flank and finish off what the Italians failed to do, OKW seconded Panzer Group 4 and the mountain corps for an excursion to Greece. Italian intelligence had done an excellent job in finding out the size and composition of the forces at each location. A sizeable force held Athens, while a smaller force held Astakos. 75,000 Greek soldiers, consisting of three mountain and three infantry divisions, were dug-in around Astakos and well supplied from local sources. On 17 February, 600 German and 300 Italian bombers, covered by 300 German fighters, attacked Astakos. Daily raids were launched, and five days later – the Italian support having been withdrawn – 1,200 German bombers were launching daily attacks. Under this onslaught, the Greeks launched several minor attacks to place their troops closer to our own and limit the effectiveness of our aerial attacks.

On 1 March, the Greeks launched a spoiling attack just as our own offensive was due to start. After much back and forth fighting, our attack was put in on the tenacious Greek formations. For most of the month fighting raged around the mountains but little ground was gained. A minor attack was also launched against Athens, to test the Greek defences, but met similar levels of determined resistance. After losing over 8,000 men and two dozen planes during the course of the month, it was decided to leave the Greeks to the Italians. The Italians appeared, after all, to be doing a decent enough job.

Appendix: German order of battle, Spring 1942

Army Group North
AGN.jpg

Army Group Centre
AGC.jpg

Army Group North Ukraine
AGNU.jpg

Army Group South Ukraine
AGSU.jpg

Panzer Group 1, 2, 3, and 4
Panzer.jpg

OKH Reserve
OKHReserve.jpg

Last edited:
Case Wilhelm

Top Secret
Senior commanders only
OKW headquarters, Berlin
1 April 1942

Directive No. 41
Case Wilhelm​

1) Object of the operation

During the break in fighting over the winter, the losses suffered during Case "Barbarossa" have been made good. With the return of good weather, an offensive must be launched to end the campaign against the Soviet Union. The Red Army has also rebuilt their much depleted strength. Therefore, to offset the Soviet manpower strength, a multi-phase operation will be launched to keep the Red Army off balance. Case "Wilhelm" intends to draw Soviet forces south, so that a major offensive can be launched in the north towards Leningrad (St. Petersburg). In addition to capturing terrain, all operations much seek to destroy as much Soviet equipment and personal as possible.

2) Strategic implication of this operation

The preliminary operations will divert Soviet attention and resources from Army Group North, drawing them south. Facing a weakened front, Army Group North will be able to capture Leningrad and secure the northern flank for future operations. In capturing Leningrad, what Soviet reserves that are left will then be drawn north away from the central front allowing future operations to be launched against much reduced opposition.

3) The enemy

Local reconnaissance has been unable to identify specific formations or the number facing any of the army groups. The intelligence service believes the Red Army currently consists of around 200 divisions. The northern sector is believed to be more weakly held than the centre or southern fronts, although at least 40 divisions will be in place to oppose Army Group North. This is believed to include garrison formations that are expected to be encountered at Novgorod, Pskov, Tallinn, and Leningrad. It is believed that a number of frontline divisions will be pulled south by the preliminary operations.

4) Preliminary Operations

Army Group South Ukraine will launch Case "Hoffmann". This operation will be aim to break through the Soviet lines at Soroca, encircle and destroy the southern flank of the Soviet frontline, and threaten Kiev. Army Group North Ukraine is to be on standby to exploit any success via a general offensive.

Case "Ludendorff" is to be launched by Army Group Centre. With Soviet reinforcements being drawn south due to "Hoffmann", Case "Ludendorff" will be launched to keep Soviet forces off balance, reduce pressure on Army Group South Ukraine, and to clear Soviet positions west of the Dnieper River. If possible, a bridgehead is to be established across the river for future operations.

5) Case "Hindenburg"

With Army Group Centre and South Ukraine drawing away Soviet resources from the northern front, the main attack – codenamed "Hindenburg" – will be launched. Reinforced with the engineer units of most other field armies, Fifth Army will launch cross-river operations to gain good bridgeheads over the River Daugava. If the tactical situation permits, the Airborne Corps will also be employed. Third Army, supported by naval gunfire, will attempt to gain a bridgehead near the coast to keep the Soviet defenders off balance.

After a bridgehead has been secured, Panzer Group 1 and 3 – along with Sixth Army – will exploit the situation as it demands. Tallinn and Leningrad are to be captured, and all opposing forces facing the army group engaged and destroyed.

6) Later operations

All breakthroughs are to be exploited. Once Leningrad has been captured, the frontline is to be stabilised to allow the panzer groups to be released back into reserve. Operations against Moscow – tentatively codenamed Case "Tannenberg" - are to then be considered.

Appendix:

AG.jpg
Map of the Eastern Front. Army Group boundaries are displayed. From north to south: Army Group North, Centre, North Ukraine, and South Ukraine.

Last edited:
Operation Hoffmann (18 April – 12 May)

Army Group South Ukraine, only formed at the beginning of the year, was the weakest formation on the Eastern Front and was largely comprised of green troops. Regardless of this weakness, its forces were given extremely optimistic objectives. To achieve its task of destroying the southern flank of the Soviet armies, it was therefore going to rely on concentrated attacks, bite and hold tactics, and manoeuvre to overcome the Soviet defences.

14th Corps, of Eighth Army, would launch the initial assault to breach the Soviet first line of defence. Twelfth Army would then leapfrog through 14th Corps, and launch a two-corps assault on the second Soviet defensive line. 14th Corps, and Twelfth Army reserve, would then launch an attack on the third line of defence. The process would repeat as much as needed, until the Soviet defensive system had been cracked. Once the line had been breached, Panzer Group 2 would be unleashed to find crossings across the River Dniester, and follow-up by driving into the rear of the Soviet defences while seeking out a crossing across the Southern Bug. With the Soviet line threatened, Eighth Army and Army Group North Ukraine would then launch a general offensive. The Soviet defensive line was believed to be held by only four divisions, most of low quality conscripts.

Hoffmann.jpg

Case "Hoffmann" battleplan​

In mid-April, Luftwaffe light bombers launched daily raids on the Soviet positions at Soroca. BF109s were also put into the air to provide cover. The Red Air Force immediately retaliated and within days, squadrons on both sides had been decimated. At dusk on 18 April, the field artillery of 14th Corps opened fire on Soroca, while further north guns opened fire on other Soviet positions to keep the Red Army distracted. Within 24-hours it had been discovered that the Soviet defences had been severely underestimated. Five divisions were holding the frontline, most comprised of regular troops with limited armour support. Regardless, within 48 hours 14th Corps had broken through the Soviet outpost line and Twelfth Army took up the offensive. The raids further north however, had suffered heavy losses against well concealed Soviet positions, made little headway and were called off.

Hoffmann1.jpg

The opening day of battle​

During the 21st, fighting broke out across the length of Army Group South Ukraine’s front as raids and diversionary attacks were launched by both sides. By the end of the day, most of the fighting had died down. However, just north of Soroca the Red Army had launched a heavy assault on our positions. With little in the way of reserves available, two corps from Army Group North Ukraine were seconded and started to move south to be a counterattacking position for when the Soviets broke through. As the fighting increased, the British launched efforts to support their Soviet "Allies". Across France and Belgium, heavy air raids were launched supported by massive fighter sweeps. Aerial losses on both sides mounted, and by the end of the month had grown to a serious level for our interceptor squadrons.

Over the coming days, the leap frog bite and hold tactics of Twelfth Army and 14th Corps continued to push the Soviets back breaching defensive line after defensive line. On the 28th, the battle came to an end with a breakthrough achieved. The next day, with gaps now cleared through the ex-Red Army positions, Panzer Group 2 was unleashed. On 1st May, the troops borrowed from Army Group North Ukraine launched their counterattack. After three days of heavy fighting they had pushed the Soviets back and re-established the existing frontline. They were pushed forward to exploit the situation, but after heavier fighting were unable to make any further gains.

Hoffmann2.jpg

Panzer Group 2's drive​

Meanwhile, Panzer Group 2 had brushed aside Red Army opposition on the west bank of the River Dniester, but had been unable to gain a bridgehead were originally intended. Pushing further south, a undefended bridge was found and on the 12th, the leading panzer division was able to secure a bridgehead for the rest of the group to consolidate in. It had taken four weeks of heavy fighting, and over 18,000 casualties, but a possibly desperate situation had developed for the Red Army. Intelligence units noted a dramatic increase in Soviet traffic moving from north to south. The overall strategy appeared to be working.

Hoffmann3.jpg

The bridgehead​

Last edited:
Exploit and preparation (13-25 May)

With the first phase of Operation "Hoffmann" a success, Panzer Group 2 now aimed to seize a crossing across the Southern Bug. In the meantime, the final preparation for Operation "Ludendorff" began. 900 fighters, 600 medium bombers, and 300 light bombers, were assembled on airfields behind Army Group Centre. Several divisions were also shifted around to make the assaulting force even stronger.

The first air raids targeted the Soviet positions on the Stalin Line, and brought about a massive Soviet response. Over the winter, it now appeared and completely unknown to our own intelligence sources, the Red Air Force had massed their weapons of war to help block the road to Moscow. At least 600 Soviet fighters took to the skies on the first day, and some sources suggested up to 1,000 were active at one point. Soviet bombers also struck our own frontline forces. Massive dogfights took place as the knights of the skies attempted to clear routes for their respected bombers. Within days the Soviets had shot down 40 light bombers, and damaged so many others that the ground crew were unable to keep the light bomber squadrons operational forcing them to retire from the battle. Bombing raids continued to take place, and the Red Air Force’s fighter presence dropped dramatically: an indication that their serviceability rate was appalling. Within a week our own losses totalled 32 fighters and 12 JU 88s shot down. On the other hand the Red Air Force lost at least 56 single engine fighters, 20 twin engine fighters, and about 16 bombers. The RAF continued to launch their own attacks, attempting to penetrate into Germany – obviously in support of their beleaguered allies – and lost 20 heavy bombers for little bomb damage.

Hoffmann4.jpg

The bridgehead across the Southern Bug​

On 16 May, Panzer Group 2 secured a bridgehead across the Southern Bug and began operations on both sides of the river. Operation "Hoffmann" had cracked the southern flank of the frontline. By the time the crossing had been secured, the Soviets had pulled forces off the frontline to attempt to block any further advance east. However, the panzers were aiming to conduct an advance north on both sides of the river to cut off more Soviet forces. The infantry of Twelfth Army had also caught up, and with the panzers on the west side of the river, smashed through the hastily organised Soviet defence line facing the penetration. On the 20th, Army Group North Ukraine started operations in support of "Hoffmann", and within days had driven the Red Army back from two dug-in fortified positions. In 15 days, just under 5,000 casualties had been taken in carrying on "Hoffmann". Soviet losses had now, by best estimates, reached 30,000 men. Adding to the worries of the Red Air Force, around 25 fighters and 50 bombers had been shot down in connection with the fighting.

On the 25th, 47th Corps was brought up to strength and attached to the Twelfth Army, although it would take several days for it to arrive at the front. Further north, in Army Group Centre’s sector, indications that Soviet troops were moving south had stopped. It was the opinion of von Kluge, commander of the centre group of armies, that the Soviet reserves had been drawn south and it was now the best time to launch his men forward. Operation "Ludendorff" was about to begin.

Last edited:
Operation Ludendorff (26 May – 6 June)

Date: 26 May, 1942
To: Field Marshal von Kluge, Army Group Centre

Latest reports indicate that at least two more Soviet divisions are moving from the northern front, heading south. The most likely destination of this movement is to interfere with Operation "Hoffmann" per all other Soviet movement recently. These divisions will therefore be in a position to intercept operations on the centre front.

Evidence suggests that the Soviets have stripped forces from the central front to oppose Operation "Hoffmann". A further division – believed to have been mauled by the aerial attacks – is also moving out of the area. However, it appears two divisions are moving into the area from the Russian interior.

All other Soviet traffic is south of the central front, and moving towards the "Hoffmann" battle zone.

Having received this positive reassurance during the early hours of 26 May, von Kluge ordered his men to launch the operation they had spent weeks preparing for. At 0600 hours, along a fifty-mile front, 12 infantry divisions moved forward supported by additional artillery. Further attacks were launched on the flanks, to further support the operation.

Ludendorff.jpg

The battle plan for Operation "Ludendorff"​

The plan of attack was straight forward: diversionary attacks on the flanks would keep the Soviet forces distracted from the main assault. The main attacks would then steamroll over the Soviet defences and clear the Soviet forces west of the Dnieper River.

By midday, the Soviet air force were striking the assaulting infantry regardless of the BF 109 fighter sweeps. The bravery displayed by the Soviets, resulted in the loss of 30 of their bombers. Captured documents and officers revealed that only seven divisions were holding the frontline, which was under attack, rather than the expected 15. It appeared to Army Group Centre, that Operation "Hoffmann" was indeed sucking in the Soviet reserves.

After only 24-hours of fighting, the diversionary attacks launched by Army Group Centre had proved to be a costly failure. The Red Army swiftly launched counterattacks against all assaulting formations. By the 28th, the central assault of "Ludendorff" had to be called off, and the southern wing soon followed. With the troops on the defensive, a cohesive front was formed to fend off the Soviets attacks.

The northern wing of the operation, however, had carried on fighting. By the 29th, the infantry had broken into the outskirts of Zhlobin. For the next eight days, a bloody and disorganised fight took place to take complete control of the city. Soviet flanking attacks were launched, and a limited number of reinforcements were thrown into the battle. Finally, as dusk approached on 6 June, the Soviet troops broke and retreated.

In 12 days, a 40-mile advance had been achieved at the cost of over 11,000 casualties. The infantry of Army Group Centre had been left exhausted and disorganised. To consolidate the blood soaked ground captured, Panzer Group 4 was ordered to take up positions in Zhlobin to ensure it would not be recaptured. The operation had ground to a halt, and Army Group Centre’s reserve had been sucked into the battle.

Last edited: