• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're looking for suggestions, maybe some country-specific event chains could be added?

Part of the reason this mod feels so historically immersive is that countries feel distinctive from each other, particularly with stuff like the additional historical characters*. If you're going in this direction, region-specific event chains could be used to emphasize the unique development of particular geographic areas.

Example: Conditions for the development of the Flemish cloth trade:
1) Controls Brabant or Flanders
2) State Stewardship > 45 and State Diplomacy > 40
3) Have built certain city developments (cloth buildings, ports)
4) Diplomatic relations > 80 with the King of England
5) Ruler has "diligent" or "greedy" trait

This could trigger a chain in which the ruler is required to spend a large amount of money upfront, and possibly a monthly payment for a period of time or a temporary reduction in levies. If the ruler follows through the whole chain, he is rewarded with a modifier improving relations with Burgher vassals and increased income after the initial investments are made.

(Please note -- I am NOT a modder and don't even know if this chain and conditions are feasible; it's just an example of the type of thing I'm talking about.)

You could also do military developments, like Bohemian war wagons (Conditions: control Bohemia; State Martial > 50; Year: 1420 or later; certain tech levels reached in Tactics or Heavy Infantry. Results: very small reduction in levy size, but significant morale boost and increase in relations with vassal Baronies.)

The intent here to emphasize the feeling of historical difference and development between regions. Playing a poor, landlocked Catholic Duchy in central Sweden shouldn't feel exactly like playing a poor, landlocked Catholic Duchy in Hungary. Playing a rich, coastal 1-province minor along the English Channel should have something to distinguish the experience from playing a rich, coastal 1-province minor on the Mediterranean. You're already gone this direction with the weather effects and historical characters, I think it would be amazing to continue to expand on it with more historically-based choices.

*The additional historical characters are awesome, but are they maybe bugged? I got an event for Siger of Brabant, then I got him again, then again, until I had literally 3 dudes with that name and similar stats within 10 years or so. I was running out of Bishoprics to hand out to them :)

If you are going to do some major implementation, I'd just suggest an overhaul of religion.

There is no religious head for a pagan (although free divorces are pretty damn convenient for heir management).

There is no way to gain religious moral authority as a pagan.

There are no pagan heresies (afaik).

There are no holy orders as a pagan, or really any way to deal with a christian holy order (I still think the ability to be able to hire more than one at once is extremely OP as a christian. And that's not including the fact that as mercenaries they replenish at a dramatically better rate than levies. Or that their units are really worth 2 to 4 times as much as a normal levy due to the heavy cavalry being ridiculous. Or that the units are pretty much free considering just fighting a pagan/Muslim generates huge amounts of piety, win or lose. Really an across the board slash to the strength of holy orders should be implemented imo. Or at the very least an extreme increase in the piety cost, as holy orders were only meant to be able to be used by extremely pious men, but as it stands now, the piety cost is really very little.)

There are no flavor events for pagans, and pagans just end up using a few christian/catholic events (although I honestly don't mind it at all as any events are good, it's just weird to see a popup informing you that you're going after the grail, lol)

The catholic moral authority is pretty damn stronger no matter what, and heresies really never stand any chance.

Afaik, there is not much flavor for heretics - No head of religion, no heretical crusades, ect ect.

I'd also suggest making crown authority harder to raise, and more importantly, I'd suggest you move around one of the benefits. The problem with the current system can be best illustrated by the HRE.

Vassals no longer being able to wage war against one another should be shifted from Medium to High. Currently, as soon as the HRE can implement medium authority, a huge chunk of the gameplay is removed from his vassals which really is a pain if you're a vassal of the HRE in a multiplayer game, and the HRE gets substantially stronger as he will be able to call on vassal levies that will almost always be fresh and max supplied, instead of weakened from in-fighting.

Because of the elective monarchy system of the HRE, the vassals are a lot more likely to elect somebody who has a bunch of positive opinion traits. Combine this with the diplomatic benefit of having elective law, and you pretty much always get a kaiser that will be well loved by everybody. To top it off, often times the Kaiser is oldish so there will not be a huge downtime between ruler changes. Meaning Crown authority in the HRE will pretty much always raise extremely high, extremely fast.

Last edited:
Here's an idea. After losing your title, you are banished amongst the peasants and slowly but surely build back your strength. After a prolonged insurrection you finally have enough materials to take back your House's glory by invading the capital with Giant Sandworms with your vaunted warrior-fanatics

:happy:

If you are going to do some major implementation, I'd just suggest an overhaul of religion.

There is no religious head for a pagan (although free divorces are pretty damn convenient for heir management).

There is no way to gain religious moral authority as a pagan.

There are no pagan heresies (afaik).

There are no holy orders as a pagan, or really any way to deal with a christian holy order (I still think the ability to be able to hire more than one at once is extremely OP as a christian. And that's not including the fact that as mercenaries they replenish at a dramatically better rate than levies. Or that their units are really worth 2 to 4 times as much as a normal levy due to the heavy cavalry being ridiculous. Or that the units are pretty much free considering just fighting a pagan/Muslim generates huge amounts of piety, win or lose. Really an across the board slash to the strength of holy orders should be implemented imo. Or at the very least an extreme increase in the piety cost, as holy orders were only meant to be able to be used by extremely pious men, but as it stands now, the piety cost is really very little.)

There are no flavor events for pagans, and pagans just end up using a few christian/catholic events (although I honestly don't mind it at all as any events are good, it's just weird to see a popup informing you that you're going after the grail, lol)

The catholic moral authority is pretty damn stronger no matter what, and heresies really never stand any chance.

Afaik, there is not much flavor for heretics - No head of religion, no heretical crusades, ect ect.

I'd also suggest making crown authority harder to raise, and more importantly, I'd suggest you move around one of the benefits. The problem with the current system can be best illustrated by the HRE.

Vassals no longer being able to wage war against one another should be shifted from Medium to High. Currently, as soon as the HRE can implement medium authority, a huge chunk of the gameplay is removed from his vassals which really is a pain if you're a vassal of the HRE in a multiplayer game, and the HRE gets substantially stronger as he will be able to call on vassal levies that will almost always be fresh and max supplied, instead of weakened from in-fighting.

Because of the elective monarchy system of the HRE, the vassals are a lot more likely to elect somebody who has a bunch of positive opinion traits. Combine this with the diplomatic benefit of having elective law, and you pretty much always get a kaiser that will be well loved by everybody. To top it off, often times the Kaiser is oldish so there will not be a huge downtime between ruler changes. Meaning Crown authority in the HRE will pretty much always raise extremely high, extremely fast.

Orthodox don't get access to Holy Orders, either, or the ability to fight in Christian Crusades, which is silly since the ERE fought in plenty of the early crusades, at least until they themselves became a victim of the crusades. Shouldn't other Orthodox nations have the ability to join crusades, or hire holy orders?

I can appreciate the issues with CA in an empire like the HRE, but it's rather restrictive to the rest of the CK2 world to change up how CA works just to make playing an HRE vassal more fun. Instead, I'd suggest making it harder to change CA in an Empire, with the notion being that multiple crowns and large kingdoms and superdukes within an empire would make it difficult for even the most charismatic ruler to change CA. This could also be true in large Kingdoms as well, like France, where the vassals, especially Aquitaine or Toulouse, often spend the first two centuries warring with the Capets over CA. Perhaps make changes to restrict the ability to change CA for empires and large kingdoms (maybe a percentage based on a ruler's stewardship score, so good steward kings would be able to change it while terrible ones would not)?

Also, as long as you're looking for more events, how about lover events for female rulers? How about infidelity events for characters with a jailed spouse (there was a thread recently discussing this, and it became quite clear that characters are fiercely loyal to their imprisoned spouses unless they fall victim to the vanilla lover plots, which probably isn't accurate or plausible), especially rulers who need heirs?

Just about any event that adds more intrigue and politics to the court would be a bonus, in my opinion.

Could you please elaborate on the issues that would arise by bumping vassal infighting to high CA?

To be honest, I can't really think of how huge an effect it would have. The only thing that would be different is that there would be more infighting in extremely large nations, and would also allow humans to do something as a vassal of one of these behemoth states. Neither of these seem like bad things to me.

Maintaining high CA for the player is not particularly challenging, so there would be no issue here. The AI tends to be able to get right on it pretty well too.

I was considering suggesting that it actually be bumped up all the way to absolute, but I figured that that would probably be too punishing to the AI, who can rarely hold onto absolute for very long. But the AI seems to be able to hold onto high easy enough. It would also make getting absolute crown authority a must, which would be bad as it would take away all the thinking in weighing the benefits. One can say this for high CA, but medium authority is just too easy to get, so if you want your vassals to not be infighting, you should have to work for it somewhat and pass CA. Not just go one step up to medium with one extremely well like ruler, or just start on medium in some cases.

idib816,

In an attempt to make it possible to grant vassals independence without having to surrender to them in an independence war (useful when you inherit vassals you really don't want at the other side of the known world), I have integrated CK2+'s "character decision" section on the diplomacy screen with The Prince and the Thane. In this the "Award Honorary Title" option has been renamed "Decisions" and can be used to give and revoke minor titles, grant independence and legitimize bastards. Although I haven't done so myself it could potentially be expanded to include more character decisions.

I did this for my own personal use so have not asked Wiz for permission. If you would be interested in integrating this into your mod as well it's not difficult to do and adds an interesting, if minor, feature. If so I would gladly send you the files (though as said it's not difficult to do from scratch either) but leave it to you to get in touch with Wiz.

Not sure if it is doable but as for pagans with the holy orders thing maybe also having some religious head emerge when religious authority is high enough and of course then a way to raise authority for Pagans:happy:

Alright so I added holy orders for every religion (I think) and I also weakened the catholic moral authority process. What I have doubts about is the whole existence of pagan religious heads, is that even historically plausible?

I also tweaked the CA kings peace process, as it was really too penalizing for people inside the HRE.

idib816,

In an attempt to make it possible to grant vassals independence without having to surrender to them in an independence war (useful when you inherit vassals you really don't want at the other side of the known world), I have integrated CK2+'s "character decision" section on the diplomacy screen with The Prince and the Thane. In this the "Award Honorary Title" option has been renamed "Decisions" and can be used to give and revoke minor titles, grant independence and legitimize bastards. Although I haven't done so myself it could potentially be expanded to include more character decisions.

I did this for my own personal use so have not asked Wiz for permission. If you would be interested in integrating this into your mod as well it's not difficult to do and adds an interesting, if minor, feature. If so I would gladly send you the files (though as said it's not difficult to do from scratch either) but leave it to you to get in touch with Wiz.

Sounds good, PM me with the stuff you added.

Alright so I added holy orders for every religion (I think) and I also weakened the catholic moral authority process. What I have doubts about is the whole existence of pagan religious heads, is that even historically plausible?

I also tweaked the CA kings peace process, as it was really too penalizing for people inside the HRE.
The pagan religions never got big enough for them to actually have the need for a figure head. If you as a player actually manage to spread the religion over a large area a head of that pagan religion could be plausible even though they never happened IRL. The point of the game is to change history and I think that Religious heads for smaller religions (when they grow big enough) would be a nice addition for the game-play even though they might be fictional as they never existed.

The pagan religions never got big enough for them to actually have the need for a figure head. If you as a player actually manage to spread the religion over a large area a head of that pagan religion could be plausible even though they never happened IRL. The point of the game is to change history and I think that Religious heads for smaller religions (when they grow big enough) would be a nice addition for the game-play even though they might be fictional as they never existed.
There was talk of a "Pagan Pope" who guarded a sacred fire at the Romuva, the heart of Baltic Paganism. But this is mostly legend, there was no record of it from the pagans and it was probably concocted to make paganism seem like a bigger threat then it actually was. It should be something that a [very] powerful Pagan leader could enact: centralize his religion. I assume this would switch him to a heresy and require him to then convert his people in order to get wide acceptance of his pagan Pope.

Sounds good, PM me with the stuff you added.

Done!

As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), "pagan" refers to a diverse group of religions which are called such to distinguish them from religions like Catholicism, Judaism, Islam, etc. As such it is difficult to categorically say that they did or did not have religious heads, as that could differ between each pagan religion. The ones I have heard of however do not seem to have had a religious head. Maybe something similar to a high priest but nothing similar to the papacy or caliphate. As such I would not add pagan religious heads as it seems ahistorical.

If there is to be no head of religion for the various pagan religions something radical would have to be implemented for the religions to be more fun to play. There should be some reward for taking a small regional religion and giving that religion a much larger base of power. As this did not happen IRL there would be no precedence for it and therefore it would be hard to call a head of a pagan religion ahistorical since we do change the history with the game as soon as we start up. When you play as a pagan and succeed to survive and even expand you are ahistorical and a head for a now large religion seems to me like a logical step for any ruler to contain the religion and even making sure that every part of your growing empire actually have the same basic rules and norms given by said religion this could be done by releasing formal texts (the same as the bible was introduced with the texts the current leaders of the church deemed to fit their purpose.) and/or by getting a clergy of some sorts who have the same teachings all over the empire to ensure stability. This newly formed clergy and texts would need a structure and maybe a head (could also be a coven of some sorts) and this is what I would like simulated if possible. I like the Idea that Mr. Capitalist came with it being sort of a heresy but then again maybe just a gradual change as you grow stronger and more importantly larger. A system of points given for every province converted in your realm would be ideal. When you reach a certain amount some event could happen and a small change in the structure could occur and so on. The points could be simulated as church authority.
Edit. There should of course be some authority for provinces already of the religion in your realm as well. be that the original provinces or newly conquered ones.

Great mod, I deleted all my old mods, I only had three, and used this mod instead, I started a game as an Irish Earl and my intent is to unite Ireland into one kingdom. This mod is making it really enjoyable, mainly because the asthetics on characters helps immersion immensely, it's also easier to quickly tell people apart, and the extra events and options make peace time very interesting indeed! :)

Are there any plans for more features?

Hi

I have not yet started a game with this mod. Looking forward to it. This will be my second run of CKII. I started as an Irish Count on my first go. I like to start at the bottom and work my way up. With TPatT in mind, who would you recommend I played as? I don't mind who, even the Irish dude again if it is worth it with this mod. :)

Thanks

PS how immenent is the next version would you say? Basically should I wait until it is released?

I just had this event fire, even though I was the host. A bit odd.

OoroQ.jpg

This is the most promising mod I've found so far. There are some immersion killing bugs still remaining though such as:

1. Exalted Among Men ambition is not working. I've started at 150 prestiege and gotten up north of 1,400 without being awarded the event multiple times.
2. When it states the peasants are revolting, revolting peasants do not actually appear on the map or siege any holdings.
3. Events state I have the "Early Bank Sponsor" trait, but it's not listed anywhere as a trait of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.