• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Martellus.

Major
74 Badges
Jan 25, 2012
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
The Piast History of Europe, 1066 - 1370

u5NyP.jpg

Hey all!

You may have read my two previous AARs which both ended unfinished, half due to a lack of interest and half because of savegame issues.

This will be a mostly historybook style AAR with some other stuff mixed in (primary sources, perhaps). I will be going through one ruler in each post and their various titles as well as their decisions.

I've already played through the whole game, and I think it was sufficiently interesting to continue this game into EU3 and maybe even Vicky 2. If there is an actual interest in this, I will continue writing this AAR into those games- I might need some help with editing the save file so if anyone cares enough that would be great if I could get some help.

I am using The Prince and the Thane 1.06b. I have a few personal changes but nothing game-breaking. I added a titular Roman Empire for later on as well.

Basically, my house rules are/were:

No assassinations (including plot-related ones).
No reloads.
Try to switch to elective as soon as possible and keep it until the end of the game.
Try to keep Romuva paganism alive.
Fight off the Mongols and try to get them to convert to Orthodoxy or Catholicism.
And, most importantly, have a Piast on almost every throne in Europe (at least at some point), and keep the house of Piast on the Polish throne past its historical date (November 2nd, 1370).
Hard difficulty (Normal is simply too easy and Very Hard seems to change the way the AI plays to me).

I will be updating semi-regularly- hopefully.

The conversion for this is on the MEIOU forums as Sic Transit Gloria Poloniae.

Chapters:

I - Introduction to the Piast Empire and Early Poland (1066 - 1144)
Boleslaw III (1066 - 1074)
Kazimierz II (1074 - 1116)
Kazimierz III (1116 - 1144)
Kazimierz IV (1144)
II - The Great Polish Succession Crisis (1144 - 1148)
Szczepan I (3 September, 1144 - 21 November, 1144)
Wladyslaw I (1144 - 1146)
Siemomysl I (1146 - 1148)
III - Rise of the Commonwealth and the Medius Poloniae (1148 - 1223)
Kazimierz V (1148 - 1168)
Kazimierz VI (1168 - 1176)
Kazimierz VII (1176 - 1180)
Kazimierz VIII (1180 - 1187)
Boleslaw IV (1187 - 1200)
Kazimierz IX (1200 - 1216)
IV - Mongol Invasions and the Forty Years' War (1216 - 1296)
Mieszko III (1216 - 1223)
Kazimierz X (1223 - 1296)
I -Wprowadzenie
II - Dzieciństwo
III - Potop
IV -Pokój

Last edited:
Chapter One - An Introduction to the Piast Empire and Early Poland

Many find it prudent to refer to Charles the Great and his dynasty as "the father of Europe", forging a common Western identity. If this "Western Father" is acknowledged, the "Eastern Father" - the Piast dynasty must be noted as well. Their rule over Europe was far more significant than the 46-year rule of Charlemagne. At its height, the Piast Empire spanned over from the northern reaches of Scandinavia all the way south to Sicily and Jerusalem. Two of the three successor states to the ancient Roman Empire - the Western Roman Empire (reestablished by Piasts in 1304) and the Holy Roman Empire were held by Piasts, as was almost every single kingdom of Western Europe, excepting England. By the 1200s Poland was considered an empire in its own right, a "Rome of the North". Poland had, over the previous 300 years, inherited the Kievan Rus, Lithuania, and the northern kingdoms of Livonia, spanning from the Baltic to the Black Sea. Most Christian holy orders were held by Piasts as well- the Teutonic Knights and Knights Templar both were under the control of the white eagle. The Ecumenial Patriarchate and the Papacy were both held by Piasts. In fact, Polish dynasts almost came to control the entire continent of Europe.

7KSEu.jpg

This history will deliver a shortened version of the events leading the greatest House Europe has ever seen to its Empire, beginning in the emergence of Poland on the European stage under Boleslaw III the Bold (sometimes referred to as Boleslaw II).

u5NyPs.jpg

Boleslaw III the Bold:
1042- 1074
King of Poland: 1058 - 1074
Duke of Tuscany: 1066 - 1070
Grand Duke of Tuscany: 1070 - 1074

Although Boleslaw III was not the first Piast ruler, he was one of the first to enter the medieval European stage through his marriage with Matilda di Canossa, and the first Polish king to wholly embrace Christianity- He embarked on holy wars against pagans in the Baltic 40 years before the Crusades would be called, but remained fairly tolerant and allowed for foreign ideas to flow into Krakow. A model Christian and a Guelph, he was well liked and respected by the Pope, Alexander II- when his son inherited the Grand Duchy of Tuscany in 1096, he personally supported him against any would-be revolters in Lombardy and Ancona.

LjXAJ.jpg

On September 25, 1066, Boleslaw III married Matilda di Canossa, Duchess of Tuscany. Her wide tracts of land were extremely desirable to Boleslaw as was her fair appearance, athleticism, and intelligence. Boleslaw himself was quite intelligent and reputedly extremely strong. Their union would result in 5 children, 3 of which would become highly competent kings. After his marriage to Matilda, Polish warriors conquered the pagan lands of Danzig (Gdansk), Pruthenia, and Galindia by 1068, bringing those areas under Piast rule. The lands were delegated to the third son of Boleslaw, Mieszko, after his birth in 1068. Wladyslaw I of Mazovia, Boleslaw's brother, passed away in the fall of 1067 and his lands were delegated to the second son of Boleslaw III, August (Augustus) Piast. Kuyavia was made into an arch-bishopric, in exchange for Gniezno becoming a portion of the king's demesne.

VBMQF.jpg

Clockwise from top left: a portrait of Matilda di Canossa c. 1065, the declaration of marriage between Matilda and Boleslaw, a contemporary account of the marriage, and the battle of Gniezno, part of the Northern Wars (as the wars with the Baltic tribes are now known)​

It must also be noted that while Boleslaw was, in a sense, a crusader, he was fairly tolerant for his time. Many Jewish communities were tolerated and, to a point, respected for the wealth they provided to the Polish crown. Even some pagans from the Baltic and muslims, primarily from Khazaria and the Bolghar sultanate, were sometimes invited into the court of Boleslaw (usually secretly; most of the nobility were zealous Catholics at this point). Krakow and Poznan, the old Polish capital, became cultural, economic, and military centers of Poland- the Polish cavalry tradition began under the rule of Boleslaw III, when his sons were all sent, along with around 25 other young noblemen, to train in the arts of horseriding and combat.

Boleslaw III died unexpectedly in a hunting accident on 3 May, 1074. His first son, Kazimierz, was crowned Kazimierz II at the age of 6. Matilda di Canossa functioned as regent.

Boleslaw III ruled for around 16 years, but the effects his rule would have would shape Poland's destiny on the European stage forever. His three sons would all be highly competent, but at Boleslaw's death were all very young- this ensured that there would be no pretender rebellion as the claimants were yet to speak or even walk. All 3 sons would be crowned kings of different nation-states, and the alliances family brought would play a great part in the survival of the white eagle in Denmark and Italy. Much should be said of Matilda as well, Boleslaw's wife who effectively ruled Poland for almost 10 years- she tethered the kingdom together and insured it would be stable until the end of the interregnum. She would drastically alter the face of the Holy Roman Empire, the powerful and immense neighbor of the young Polish state.

Last edited:
I like your start. but shouldn't Boleslaw be Boleslaw II (as in Boleslaw II Smialy? ) :)

Boleslaw II 'The forgotten' is in between (link).

Supposedly he was such a bad ruler that his name was forever deleted from the list of Polish monarchs.

He's semi-legendary but I prefer to include him, if only because I get to the V and X (in the title naming) one step faster. :p

Boleslaw II 'The forgotten' is in between (link).

Supposedly he was such a bad ruler that his name was forever deleted from the list of Polish monarchs.

He's semi-legendary but I prefer to include him, if only because I get to the V and X (in the title naming) one step faster. :p

ahhh. didn't know it. no wonder I didnt knew him (him being deleted and all :p)

u5NyPs.jpg

Kazimierz II:
1068- 1116
King of Poland: 1074 - 1116
King of Italy: 1096
King of Hungary: 1101 - 1116

Kazimierz II, often referred to in contemporary studies as Kazimierz II the Templar, was one of the longest lived Piast kings. His rule saw the integration of large tracts of land into the hands of the white eagle, and the beginning of the Piast Confederation, which will be discussed in more detail later. Although he ruled more than 42 years, he was not given a nickname until recently; historians have named him 'Templar' due to his participation in the predominantly Polish and Hungarian Knights Templar, and the Waldensian Crusade.

JUKxc.jpg

Kazimierz II was born in Krakow in 1068 and rose to the throne in 1074 after the death of his father, Boleslaw III. He was a humble and patient boy, admired in the court for the respect he showed to the nobles of the court and the humility he expressed. He was the eldest of three brothers- the others, Mieszko and August, were both impressive in their own right. All 3 were good fighters and excelled in the traditions of riding and swordplay. That being said, each had a particular area they truly excelled in: Kazimierz was an excellent commander, Mieszko an incredible administrator, and August a masterful schemer. All 3 would also go on to hold different king titles (Poland, Denmark, and Italy, respectively).

The interregnum for Kazimierz II was uneventful early on: Matilda di Canossa proved to be a very able regent, and there was no succession crisis- in fact, the only individuals with a claim on the Polish crown were located in Krakow.

However, Matilda used the Polish crown for her own needs: In 1083, Poland joined the Tuscan war for independence, a bid by Matilda to free the large majority of Italy from the German yoke. Polish and Italian armies, amounting almost 20000, marched into Austria, the seat of the current Holy Roman Emperor, Ernst I von Babenberg. All the Emperor's holdings were occupied by late 1087, and with an even larger revolt from Saxony and Franconia to the North, the Kaiser chose to let the Italians free and defeat the old Saxons. By the end of the War of Tuscan Independence, Matilda's regency had ended and Kazimierz II was now king of Poland in more than just title. He married Anna Estridsen, the daughter of King Erik I Estridsen. This union would result in 5 children and one bastard child- 2 sons would go on to become kings and one would become a duke.

5Ej5o.jpg

Clockwise: The marriage between Anna and Kazimierz II, the end of the Tuscan War of Independence, and a artist's rendition of the siege of Osterreich

For the next 10 years or so, Poland existed in a relative state of peace. Levies were refilled and nobles were kept content. Polish cavalry levies grew, bolstered by the large number of knights available to train young squires. A small trickle of horses and goods came from the Crimea and Khazaria, and continued lifting up Polish technology. The prosperity and stability allowed for the beginning of the construction of a great palace on Wawel Hill in Krakow in the mid-1090s.

In 1096, the king of Denmark, Erik I, was overthrown by Henrik I Nakonid, a powerful Pommeranian duke. Unliked by his vassals, Henrik greatly destabilised Denmark. This gave Kazimierz II the chance to claim the Danish throne for his brother, Mieszko. The conflict was rather short and completely one-sided- Danish armies were almost nonexistent and Polish levies were fresh and ready. In the midst of this conflict, Matilda I of Tuscany passed away and Italy passed to Kazimierz II. He gave the lands to his brother, August, who was given the Iron Crown of Lombardy and named August I of Italy.

XXaGO.jpg

Clockwise: The Polish inheritance, King August I and his wife, Swietoslawa Poraj (he later married Queen Matilda I D'Hauteville of Sicily), and the symbolic Iron Crown of Lombardy, worn first by Kazimierz II and then passed to August I

Then, in 1097, the First Crusade for Hungary- the Waldensian Crusade- was called against the Waldenses of Hungary, who included the Hungarian Queen, Skolasztika I. Although Polish levies were tired and damaged from the cold Danish winter, around 7500 marched on to Hungary. The Hungarian resistance was surprisingly strong- many of the poor and destitute flocked to fight for their new heretical faith. Although the Hungarians initially had more troops, many of them were simply poorly trained peasants, and had next to no cavalry. Meanwhile, the Poles had around 1000 cavalry, 300 of which were elite heavy cavalry and the personal guard of Kazimierz II. At the battles of Turoc, Kakath, and Gyor, the Hungarian army was chased, whittled down, and destroyed primarily by these cavalry. Kazimierz suffered a wound to his left arm and lost use of it a few years later.

The Waldensian Crusade often begets particular interest from many historians, military, religious, and otherwise. The religious circumstances of the Waldensian rise are poorly detailed, but it is thought that poor harvests in multiple succession upset many of the Catholic Hungarians, who still had pagan idols buried within their father's graves. The upper classes saw this poverty, and sought to rectify it through donation of money to the poor. These poor then joined the religion in great amounts and converted other poor, who then proselytized to more poor. As long as the nobles were Waldensian, the peasants typically followed. Militarily, the conflict was also interesting- Hungary initially fielded more than twice as many soldiers, many of whom were heavy infantry. In this era of levied armies, the Polish were not much better trained. The cavalry of the Polish, although not necessarily expertly trained, were much faster than the Hungarians and could chase them down. Many Hungarian peasants were not accustomed to being charged by hundreds of horsemen without any horses of their own.

The Crusade was won in 1101 and all lands were given to Kazimierz II. The northern duchies of Ungvar, Nyitra, and Transylvania were given to Piast relatives. Esztergom was given to Henryk, a son of Kazimierz II, and Pest was given to another son of Kazimierz II, Mieszko. The southern lands of Pecs, Bacs, and Csanad were given to Hungarian Arpads. Syrmia was given to Byzantion as a gesture of good faith. Meanwhile, The Knights Templar, a holy order that had participated in the Waldensian Crusade but very focused on the Holy Land, invited Kazimierz II into their ranks, an offer that Kazimierz accepted.

Og06R.jpg

Clockwise: The end of the First (Waldensian Crusade), the Crusade's birth, the First Battle of Gyor, and a Hungarian light hussar, a cavalry model used by the Poles and later fully adopted into Polish cavalry doctrine

For the next 14 years, Poland-Hungary reigned in relative peace. Poland participated in a few minor wars in Denmark and Italy, but only in name: no troops were actually provided. Crown authority in both kingdoms was strengthened and an elective monarchy was instituted in both kingdoms. Kazimierz II's son of the same name was named successor in Poland and Mieszko named successor to Hungary. In 1115, the Duchess of Silesia, Kenna I Poraj, passed away and her lands were inherited by the King of Bohemia, Budivoj I Premyslid. This was an unfortunate blow to Polish economic and military strength, but the gains in Hungary more than completely offset the losses. In February of 1116, Henryk, Kazimierz's less competent but elder son, was given the Kingdom of Hungary over Mieszko; this would divide Hungary after Kazimierz II's death less than a year later, and the kingdom would be in civil war until the rise of Leszek I in the late 1150s.

Kazimierz II passed away on 21 November, 1116, likely due to a chronic bacterial infection in his long-wounded arm. He was succeeded by his first son, Kazimierz, who was crowned Kazimierz III. Kazimierz II is notable for greatly expanding Piast rule, although he did this at the cost of the Polish heartland. His 42-year rule brought technological advancement and prosperity to Poland, and strengthened Papal authority through his successful Crusade against the Waldensian Hungarians.

Last edited:
Suscribed.

Quite entertaining.
I've realized you're more interested in spreading the dynasty than in keeping large amounts of land and titles under your control.

The only times I've tried to do that I got pissed of because my dynasty members more often than not are inept in keeping their titles.

Suscribed.

Quite entertaining.
I've realized you're more interested in spreading the dynasty than in keeping large amounts of land and titles under your control.

The only times I've tried to do that I got pissed of because my dynasty members more often than not are inept in keeping their titles.

If I wanted to, around 1250 I could have enacted seniority succession and pretty much united Europe.

However, I do prefer to have all my little branch houses ruling each different kingdom.
It also looks really cool to look in your dynasty tree and see all the kingly lines and where they are descended from.

Oh, and having the Roman Empire stretch from Poland to Italy is just plain wrong...

u5NyPs.jpg

Kazimierz III the Quiet:
1091 - 1144
King of Poland: 1116 - 1144
King of Castille and Galicia : 1109 - 1140
King of Swabia: 1140 - 1144

Kazimierz III the Quiet was perhaps an above-average king, instrumental in the development of Piast Iberia and Germany. He was born in Poznan in 1091, where his father's wife, Anna, preferred to stay in the summer. He was a quiet, shy, and sometimes fearful boy, typically straying from the field of combat. However, he was a good diplomat and a masterful steward, governing perhaps more effectively than his father. The Piast Confederation, established in name under his father's rule, continued to expand during Kazimierz III's reign in terms of its nature and strength. And the marriages Kazimierz III acquired would greatly expand Piast holdings.

Tetkg.jpg

That being said, Kazimierz III was probably not the most prominent Piast of his time. August II of Italy (later August I of Vestlandet), Lucja I the Great of Sicily, and Henryk II all expanded the territory of House Piast while Kazimierz himself focused almost exclusively on Polish affairs. There is only one notable Polish intervention into foreign affairs during his rule: The Hungarian Civil War, which still remained unresolved even after his alliance with the Polish forces.

LEgZ0.jpg

Left to right: Queen Lucja I the Great of Sicily, King August II of Italy (later of Vestlandet), and King Henryk II of Hungary

Lucja, August and Henyrk must certainly be noted here, for their contributions to some early troubles gripping the various branches of House Piast. Lucja I and August II were very closely related and both had claims on the other's titles, leading to politically charged meetings between the two. Diplomacy boiled over in the 1110s, and by 1124, Lucja I could claim both Italy and Sicily.

The deposed king, August, was able to secure Vestlandet and East Anglia for himself in the chaos of the North- he was married to the Duchess of East Anglia, and was given the Duchy of Vestlandet by an arbitrary 3-year old Crovan Duke. He would later marry the Queen of Norway to bring more of Scandinavia under the fold of the white eagle, and his line would actually return to the Italian crown later on.

Henyrk II is notable for leading the Piast forces in the Hungarian Civil War. An able commander and excellent statesman, Henryk soundly defeated the rebelling Hungarians after the Polish intervention. He brought a 40-year civil war to a close, as by the time that his successor, Leszek I, came to the throne, the Arpads were nearly annihilated.

Meanwhile, Kazimierz III was strengthening his position at home. Two of his easternmost vassals were ambitious and rather dangerous- the Duke of Mazovia, Izbor I Czartoryski, and the Duke of Prussia, Kazimierz II (later succeeded by his son, who became Kazimierz III of Prussia). Both were sent to go to war with the eastern pagan tribes, and captured Memel and Scalovia by 1130. This gave them more land, but significantly depleted their levies for the entirety of Kazimierz III's rule.

Multiple different castles were constructed, particularly on the eastern border. The pagan Kingdom of Lithuania was actually growing rather strong, and it was only a matter of time before they would eye the previously Romuva territories of the Baltic coast. In the center of Poland, towns became cities, particularly in Rawa (today Warsaw), the geographic center of Poland. Many traders came through Rawa on their way to Poznan, Krakow, and Gdansk or even lands beyond those of Poland. Some began to settle down, and in this way the city of Jezow was constructed. Kazimierz III encouraged trade, understanding that it not only improved the economy but also increased population, which would have never been seen as a problem in the eyes of a medieval ruler. Because of his pro-trade and banking policies, many cities both exploded in wealth but also in population: By 1130, Krakow had a population of approximately 20000- this made it one of the greatest cities in all of Europe, alongside the likes of Paris and London. One of the first universities in Europe was established in Krakow in 1131; it was preceded by and modeled upon the University of Bologna, viewed with great interest by the Poles. Kazimierz III recognized the value of education much earlier than many others in the world, and sent many of his courtiers and his own sons to the university to improve their education.

In addition to this, the Royal Palace at Wawel was completed in this time, and Kazimierz III was the first Polish king who ruled from it. The palace represented a culmination of the work of Kazimierz III's descendants and would be the primary home of almost every single legitimate Polish monarch. This being said, Kazimierz III would be the only king to rule from the palace until Kazimierz V would take the throne in 1148, a little more than 4 years after the death of Kazimierz III.

rqYMk.jpg

Left to right: The city of Krakow, c. 1130 (Wawel Hill overlooks the city), the city's finances and the construction of a university, and the painting Castle Wawel, done by court painter Alexander Tucharsky in 1768

In addition to his contributions within Poland, Kazimierz III did intervene in a few conflicts in accordance with the Piast Confederation his father set up. The Piast Confederation was initially created by Kazimierz II to ensure that dynastic inheritances were handled correctly; he knew that the interregnum is one of the most unstable periods of a kingdom's existence. The organization was typically headed by Poland and met in Krakow; a few meetings have been documented in Poznan and Gdansk during the times of Piast Scandinavia. The Confederation began to evolve into a sort of defensive alliance after Kazimierz III's interventions in Hungary, these were documented by Kazimierz III himself.

Just like during the Waldensian Crusade, Hungary was a very strange place during the early- and mid-11th century. Many of the Magyar peasants, still worshiping a heretical populist faith, rebelled from their nobility, destroying crops, homes, and the countryside. This devastated the large majority of Hungary- particularly the north (called "Slovakia" today) and near Visegrad, the early Hungarian capital. The south, on the other hand, was less affected, primarily due to the Arpad nobles ruling the area. Spytko I the Bastard of Transylvania was also less affected as he supported the Arpads to the South, and was popular among the peasants for his humility and tolerance. Neither side was really able to raise levies of particular significance- the Arpads could raise some, but not many. The Piasts had to rely almost entirely on mercenaries and foreign support, but typically could not acquire enough money to purchase a great number. The civil war began almost immediately after the death of Kazimierz II in late 1116, and continued until 1157.

A major turning point in the civil war was the intervention of Polish troops in 1130. Kazimierz III, claiming the defense of House Piast, marched with around 8000 troops south. Around 350 of these were part of his personal guard and were his elite heavy cavalry. After travelling through Visegrad, they met a quickly-formed army of around 1500 at Perecseny in the fall of 1130. It was destroyed to the last man, with almost no losses suffered by the Poles. The southern areas of Bacs and Pecs were then besieged and captured for the Piast forces, which really only consisted of Kazimierz's army at this point. Thus, only Transylvania remained, but would stubbornly hold out for the next 20 years.

JSC8O.jpg

Clockwise: The original emblem of the Piast Confederation, the only "significant" military engagement of the Hungarian Civil War, and the situation in Hungary c. 1130, immediately before Henryk II came to the throne and Kazimierz III offered his levies up

In terms of marriage, Kazimierz III was first married to the Queen of Castille, who he had 8 children with. One of these would later become the King of Castille. He married his first son, Kazimierz, to the Queen of Swabia, Eugenia I. They had 4 children, but he passed away in 1140, in the battle of Valencia. Kazimierz III then married Eugenia after his first wife died in 1140 as well. They had 3 children, the last of which, also named Kazimierz, would become king of Poland almost 30 years later.

Kazimierz III died in 1144; age and stress likely caused his death at 53. As his sons were all either landed or dead, he chose Kazimierz III of Prussia, the grandson of Wladyslaw I of Mazovia, as his successor. Kazimierz III of Prussia was then crowned Kazimierz IV. Kazimierz III the Quiet was certainly not one of the greatest kings of the Commonwealth, but he ruled during auspicious times, and did manage to both expand the realm and expand Piast holdings in Europe. That being said, however, he was the king his father was- not the famed military commander and statesman, schemer and scholar. He was simply average, perhaps above-average in some areas. It is arguable that the management of his sons (marrying them off to foreign courts) would exacerbate the Great Polish Succession Crisis, occurring shortly after his death. However, this Succession Crisis truly began after the death of his successor, Kazimierz IV the Short.

Last edited:
what does the st mean between Polska and rzadzi?

and Polska rules the whole world? :D lol love the maps. love the AAR. keep up the good work!

Should be jest, oops.

I was making my own spin on the Habsburg's AEIOU.

It's supposed to mean "Poland is to rule the whole world" or "Poland is ruler of the world".

Latin to Polish translations are hard, especially when your Polish sucks.

Should be jest, oops.

I was making my own spin on the Habsburg's AEIOU.

It's supposed to mean "Poland is to rule the whole world" or "Poland is ruler of the world".

Latin to Polish translations are hard, especially when your Polish sucks.

ahh. Nice. another thing I learned from this AAR ( about AEIOU) :D

jest means literally "it is". :) "Poland is to rule the whole world" would be Polska bedzie rzadzic calym swiatem.
Poland is ruler of the world would be Polska jest wladca calego swiata. or Polska rzadzi calym swiatem.

but my polish at the level of basic school system so I am probably not entirely correct :p

I love what you do with the maps.

Also where do you get the pictures for the characters and locations?

And what mods are you using? I realized that you can build Jewish quarters in the cities.

Characters and locations (I'm assuming you mean the images of places) are all found online in various places. I usually do a bit of touching up, as sometimes they don't fit what I want/need.

I'm using The Prince and the Thane 1.06b with a couple of personal modifications- a few titular titles added, a couple of province changes, and some changes in survivability. I should have probably mentioned this in the title (and will edit it accordingly).