• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(337689)

Corporal
6 Badges
Jun 29, 2011
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
2dW2p.jpg

The sun has risen above the Russian Empire at 1st January of new, 1836 year. There was a lot of dramatic events in the country, which spread from Baltic Sea to Pacific Ocean. Decembrist revolt, wars with Persia and Ottoman Empire and disturbing Caucasus doesn't leave the Empire in rest. Anyway, the new year has started, and with it appear some time to solve old problems.

And only God knows, that this year will be the turning point in Russian Empire's history...

Author's notе
Greetings from the country of vodka and matreshka!
I'm glad to represent you my over9000-symbols AAR, which I were writing last year on Russian language. It collected some awards on competitions on Russian forums and was a little bit popular.
So I decided to translate it (as I can :) ) to English and post on Plaza to increase my self-esteem (what do you think I'm doing this for? :D)
Notice for hardcore- true- old- whatever- players: This AAR would not contain any amazing strategic moves or something
This is just another graphomaniac funfiction with lots of screenshots, dialogues, parenthetic remarks etc. But I hope you would accept this AAR
Another notice - all the screenshots were made on the Russian version of the game, but I'll give a description for everyone of them.
For now AAR has 21 chapters, which fill over 150 pages of Word document, it will be posted as fast as I'll translate them to English.
So, please enjoy reading "From Kalisz Province to Alaska"!

Version of the game/mods
Victoria 2 from 1.3 to AHD 2.1
Mods: Some self-made events which doesn't much rebalance the game

Table of contents:
Prologue
Chapter 1: New Russia?

Last edited:
v66eu.jpg

And in in this first day of new year, after all celebrations, emperor Nicholas I convene the First Section of His Imperial Majesty Own Chancellery to meeting in Winter Palace.

The silence reigned among officials and ministers. Why did the emperor called them so early?

Nicholas walked into the room being very excited. After some New Year’s congratulations, which he was listening with annoyance, he went straight to business:

- Well, gentlemen, I congratulate you with a truly new, not only for chronology, but also for Russia, 1836 year. Internal and external problems are now not so terrible, so the age of our progress has started. – Nicholas looked attentively through the officials and stopped his view on the Alexander Taneev, chief of First Section. – Alexander Sergeyevich, I demand a full country's state and statistics by today's evening. Not in common figures, but as detailed as possible. By now it's all, gentlemen.

The emperor left the room, and, as it said by witnesses, gets locked in his apartments, asking for a cup of tea and stationery from time to time.
In the evening Nicholas listened the alternate ministers report.

First appeared (by common agreement of ministers, in case of better-going things in his ministry) was Minister of War Alexander Chernyshyov.

- Your Majesty, The Russian Emperor's Army is in perfect condition: In it’s files are 70 regiments (210k of soldiers and officers). They are contain 34 infantry regiments, 1 engineering section, 1 cuirassier regiment, 28 cavalry regiments and 6 artillery divisions. Also we can form 25 new regiments, but believe me, there is no need to do that. Because only China has larger army. There are no problems with progressive military ideas and equipment – we are on par with other Great Powers. An important thing – In case of war we can mobilize 94 regiments. The Defense financing is well, but could be larger, honestly say. Also…

LheIU.jpg

(Military Power)

Further details don't interest the emperor. It was enough to get sure that army would be perfect support to the country and government.
Yegor Kankrin, the Minister of Finances, was the second speaker. Due to his report, country’s reserves melting as snow in March, and all grades of people in Russia were imposed by taxes only for half of their income. Main priority in expenses is filling the national stockpiles by military goods and raw materials. The costs on education, military and administration – 50% of possible. As it was found, even the dues on importing goods wasn’t set! The basic of indusrty in Russian Empire was (and it wasn’t suprising) agriculture and raw production. Any fabric industry was absent, the railroad between Saint Petersburg and Tsarskoye Selo was only planned to buid in May. Also Russia have 500 pounds of debts.

md1HC.jpg

(Finances. I hope you already know what each of title means)
z3gL9.jpg

(Industry)

Right after previous speaker stand up the minister of Internal Affairs, Dmitry Bludov.

His brief report was cosists of information about agressive moods in Russia, that decrease after suppression of the Decembrist and Polish revolts, as well as trouble-makers are now out of the game.
The total number of able-bodied population in Russian Empire – 15.33 million people.
The ethnical composition of Empire was: with all accepted to Russians (7.4 million) cultures, such as Belorussians, Ukrainians and Finno-Ugrian, the title nation accounted for 71%. The rest of the population were minorities, the largest of which were Polish (7%)

wLrWe.jpg

(In order: Russians, Ukrainians, Others, Polish, Belorussians, Jews)

Count Uvarov, the minister of Natinal Education, supplemented the report with the most horrific information. Following it, it became clear that the pary of literate people was only the tenth part of all population in Russia, with an annual growth rate of one hundredth of a percent. To increase the percentage of literacy for one percent, it was necessary to wait for 100 years!

Vvuou.jpg

(Average literacy is 10.0. Growth per month 0.0124%)

Count Nesselrode, the Foreign Minister, ended the common report. Russia was the leading power after the Great Britain and France and held Serbia under its influence, and had friendly relations with Sweden, Greece and Krakow. The main problem for the safety of the empire were Turks and Khanate of Khiva.

Minister sat down after finishing report. The silence reigned in the room again.

After a long pause, Nicholas stood up and walked to the window, which was looking out on the Palace Square.

Monarch widely sigh and began pacing back and forth in front of the ministers.

- Gentlemen, the situation is disgusting! Literacy is the same as in the uncivilized countries, I can’t even guarantee that anyone outside this room can read and write! The economy is in the depression, and there is no industry and roads! According to Swedish researches, we are stand among Ecuador and Uruguay! Does anyone can remember where these countries are situated? The only thing that keeps up among the Great Powers is a memory of our previous achievments and an enormal stack of bayonets! It isn’t the way that God prepared for Russia, and we can’t take the returning backwardness and ignorance like in the pre-Peter times as naturally fact…

Nicholas calmed down and set on his chair under the looks of ministers, which were full of wonder and fear.

- Time of stability has begun, and we just can’t sit and rub our pants. Europe is building factories and being overgrown with a web of railroads. But we have only a few manufactures in the Urals and some broken-down roads, which has no ability to transport from autumn to spring. And this is while we feeding all the Europe with our bread and dressing it with our textille and furs. By the end of my life I want to see a completely new country, and believe me, I will not die as long as Russia doesn’t change! Empire needs a strong, professional army, which must be always superior to the enemy, needs the industry, which musn’t be inferior to advanced countries of Europe, and needs the literate population that can’t just wave a plow or keep a gun in the hand. We need to focus on our self-development, before interventing in European affairs. Karl Vasilyevich, is Russia able to take a decade without any wars?
- No doubt, Your Emperor Majesty – answered count Nesselrode. – Ottomans are busy with barbarians in Libya. Prussia and Austria are contending for gegemony in Germany. And in Western Europe situation around independent Belgium is heating up. However, I can’t not to notice, that England gas strengthened its positions in India and in the future there might be some problems, because if they get a border with China, it will be a direct treat to Russia, because having China’s vast territory and millions of population means an enormous growth of industry and military power for any country, which can control it. You should also note that our debates with China about Amur territories are not fizzle out.
- Good. I demand from your Ministry to increase our influence in British India Border States. Such as Panjab and Tibet, as well as in China.

rRbXc.jpg

(Priorities in diplomatic influence: China, Tibet, Serbia, Panjab)

- So let’s go futher. Other thing that I absolutely I don't like how the army doing. There is no centralized and standartidized system of regiments and corps we have, therefore, we need major military reform of the armed forces. Aleksander Mikhailovich, any suggestions?
- I propose to take the European thirty thousandth corps system, which consists of five infantry regiments, two cavalry regiments and three artillery divisions.
- answered Chernyshyov. - The strategy of war will change in the closest future, and fight with enemy, using the post-Napoleon theories will be absurd. I propose to focus our generals on new theory.
- Wonderful. Let’s do that. And if we are talking about science and education, I want make a notice. We need to increase the number of literate people, without it we will not have any new military theories or new railroads or factories. I demand increase costs on education up to 80% from possible. And in populous provinces, such as Kiev and Samara, found new sundat schools and bring in competent teachers and priests.

xoZ0b.jpg

(Professionalism in Army. Start a research)
LxlPc.jpg

(Russians, 7.40m gives 2 national focuses. They are - support clergymen in Kiev and Samara)

- However, it takes a lot of money, which we haven’t got. First of all, we need to pay off our debts. Second, we need to increasse our taxes on poor and middle strata up to 90% of their incomes and decrease noble’s taxes to quarter of income in order to form a layer of capitalists who will be ready to build roads and factories. Other tragic moment is that we need to reduce our costs to the army to 35%, as well as costs of bureaucracy. Even the purchases in national stockpiles must be reduced to 5-10% of possible. But dues must be increase up to half of cost of imported goods.

qMtLE.jpg

(The same thing. But with paying off the debts)

- What?! Your Majesty, but our fleet just rot in the shipyards without any supplies! – Naval minister Moller protested.
- Yes, and that’s why we need to dissolve the Baltic fleet to 5 battleships and Black Sea fleet to 5 battleships and 5 frigates.

Moller turned pale and sat down.

M0kNC.jpg

(Baltic and Black Sea fleets)

- And what about army, Your Majesty? – asked Chernyshyov. – Russian troops wouldn’t go into battle with an empty stomach and without powder. In modern war I wouldn’t really count on a proud bayonet charge.
- You’re right, Alexander Mikhailovich, but next 10 years we aren’t going to start any wars. But, in case of something unexpected we will raise up the supply purchases on three or four months before the declaration of war. I think this compromise will suit everyone. About the industry – I ask the Chancellery to prepare a decree for construction of glass and steel factories in Kherson and the glass factory in Crimea. It would be enough for now moment. To do this we need support of state counsil, but, as we all know, these lazy conservators will only saboutage any projects. That’s why we shall replace the majority of its members by loyal to the state capitalism politics.

jBVFf.jpg

(The party change to reactioners. State capitalism, protectionism, moralism and so on)

Ministers get perplexed. Russia must be reconstructed, but with such cost? Lose the status of “Gendarme of Europe” for the sake of the priests and peasants? Oh, this liberal Zhukovskiy has a bad influence on monarch in his childhood…

But, at the same time, tsat is the God’s envoy on the earth and nothing should prevent his will. Maybe, he doing all of this for better.

- During the week I’m waiting reports from you about what had been done. Now, don’t be so depressed! Holiday isn’t over yet, so please, come downstairs, all the public is waiting us on a ball!

Ministers gradually left the room, and only Moller remain sitting with dead white face. Chernyshyov came up and slapped a fellow on the shoulder.

- Chins up, Anton Vasilyevich! Our time will come, and you will personally sink Her Majesty’s ships!
- Oh, Sasha, even if it’s true, I think I won’t live till that day. But okay, today I’ll get drunk as I never get when I was a Gardes-Marine!

The evening was continue, the band was playing Strauss’ operettas, beautiful ladies werent stop spining in a dance with a little bit drunk cavaliers and chamberlain was worrying about guests’ reaction for served dishes.

cBVkZ.jpg

Ive never had guts to manage such huge empire. For the mother Russia, comrade.
For huge empire we have great people, comrade. Thank you

Hm. This flag was made by myself. But if you want, I could send it to your e-mail. Please, write it on PM

Chapter one

edac42a29e19.jpg

***​

Sergey Khvatov, the one of clerks of county administration, woke up with a terrible hangover. He lived in a small village, called Belaya Tserkov’ situated in Vasilkov county of Kiev Province. After a few minutes trying to fresh up, Sergey went straight to the local tavern. There, as always, was sittng the namesake and drinking buddy of Khvatov – Sergey Vyacheslavovich. No one knows his surname. Despite the large difference in age (Khvatov recently has left his home mansion, but the old colonel/midshipman/state counselor (it depends on the story being told) Sergey Vyacheslavovich was about sixty years old) it was always interesting to talk during the drinking, as well as old man wasn't averse to have some bottle for free, especially when innkeeper wasn’t in the benevolent mood.

One way or another, Khvatov sat down to namesake and order a bottle.

- Ah, why did you drink so much yesterday, Sergey? I bet your head is blowing up like shrapnel at Borodino battle! But come on, let’s drink the first one!
- There is nothing else to do, Vyacheslavovich. Yesterday I was in Vasilkov, and, as it turned out, I lost my job in Supply Department. After they put most of Black Sea Fleet to the bells and boards, the supplies which pass through our road were decreased, so Department no more need in my service.
- How could it be, Serega?! Did they disband old “Merkuriy” brig to the sea evil spirits?! I remember, how we sinked Turkish flagships with Kazarsliy…
- Calm down, Vyacheslavovich. Don’t know, what did they disband, but I know that now I’m having no job.
- You’d better drink another one, Serega. That certainly would not be worse. What will you do now?
- Hell knows. I’m thinking about go to the priests or whatever. To teach people like you to read and write. They say the country needs all literated people. Hundreds of schools are opening all over the province, and all the teachers have larger salary, than collegiate registrars. So why not?
- Ats a good idea, my boy! It does deserve to drink another one! I hope extra one glass is not burdensome for you?
- Of course not, Vyacheslavovich. Especially when I have to pay such large taxes, it’s nothing else to do but have fun for last time.

Glass by glass, the time was getting on toward evening, and the tales of Sergey Vyacheslavovich were going farther and farther from reality.

At the same time in St.Petersburg the Emperor of Russia couldn’t relax. The meeting of ministers was postponed to next week, in case of regular consultations with count Nesselrode. Foreign ambassadors besieged a Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Pevchesky Bridge, as well as homes of their Russian friends. The situation in Europe which strained last time forced the foreign governments to seek for an strong and powerful ally, like Russian Empire. Belgium, the Kingdom of Sardinia, the USA, Greece, Serbia, Montenegro and so on. All the offers except Serbia’ and Montenegro’ offers were refused. Denmark ambassador get furious and by long time after that was trying to have audience with Nesselrode, because no one, except Russia, could help his country to stop expansionist plans of Germans.

7181d74882ab.jpg

(An Alliance Offers from Denmark, Belgium, Netherlands, Sardinia-Piedmont, Montenegro and Serbia)

But his attempts were abortive, and soon Austria declared war for Schleswig region to Denmark.

4d162a476e8d.jpg

(Austria declared war on Denmark)

Europe has lost its “Gendarme”.

Nicholas I finally could meet with the other ministers in the second decade opf January. And for this time reports were much more positive.
Due to decreasing costs the Russian Empire's treasury is replenishing by 100-200 pounds per day. New plants have been founded; Academy of Sciences is developing a new military theory and promises to complete it around 1839. At the same time disbanding the fleets saved a huge amout of money allowing to keep the army forces. According to the new order five regiments were sorted out to form a H.I.M. Guards Corps. Now, they are on march to Voronezh, where they will be waiting for general inspection on June. But also there were some bad news. According to Bludov, the will of the Tsar to set reactioners at the State Council caused unrests in society which raised militancy of everybody form peasants, who remember deportations and military settlements, to intellectuals, who not regain after Decembrist repressions.

209a8d188f24.jpg

Time went on. Not the treasury reserves were melting, but snow. With the May coming Nicholas with the Crown Prince Alexander Nikolaevich (who just got promoted to a Major General) set out from the Saint-Petersburg to Voronezh to “see the country, life, roads and people”
The parade of H.I.M Guards Corps was went on at 1st of June. Tsar and the Crown Price were waited in Voronezh by Chernyshyov, who set his hopes on these inspections. Review began with a church service.

d1d504f0ab23.jpg

(H.I.M. Guards Corps in Voronezh)

Nicholas and his son were following the priest who consecrate soldiers to brave deeds for the faith, tsar and motherland when they suddenly heard a muffled cough. Nicholas stopped and Chernyshyov was seized by confusion.

- What was that? – asked the Emperor.
- Can’t know, your majesty!
- Who was coughing? Get out from the line!

Soldiers stood their ground.

- Who has dared to ingnore my orders?!

From the back lines to Nicholas came an old soldier with the corporal rank.

- Corporal of Russian Emperor’s Army Gavrila Mikhailov!
- Regiment?
- Sixteenth Ladozhskiy Infantry Regiment, your majesty!
- Well, Gavrila, why are you sick?

Corporal hesitated.

- I asked you.
- There are no medicaments, your majesty, so we have no treat.

The Minister of War turned pale.

- So, Gavrila, are you the one who has fall ill?
- No, your majesty, there are many of us. At least hundred died recently.
- Hm. Get back in the line, Gavrila.

A hour later Alexander was struck by the fact that his father can swearing better than any cobbler. Chernyshyov was ready to sink into the ground. The total loss of corps come to almost three thousands. And it’s even never been in battle! The problem, according to the War Minister, was in impossibility to supply all the regiments by constant provisions and billets on military settlements. Chernyshyov decided to send four regiments to the Melitopol, but there was no way to return died people – 5th Lithuanian Lancer, 12th Velikolutskiy and 16th Ladozhskiy Infantry regiments had no possibility to get reinforcements.

563339e0d622.jpg

(regiments of H.I.M. Guards Corps)

One more problem was told to Nicholas by letters from the Orenburg Governor-General – raids of steppe barbarians from Khiva Khanate became more frequent.

st000_41.jpg

By the evening Nicholas sat and lost in joyless thoughts about the failure of all plans. It was impossible to not to fight. But there were good news – a letter arrived from Kiev and Samara – the opening of Sunday schools, the agitation among the intellectuals worth it – an increase of priests and teachers was small, but stable and just by a half of year their number increased from 1% to 1.03%.

Next morning Nicholas sent Chernyshyov to Petersburg to solve problem with supplies of Guard, as well as he sent Crown Prince Alexander to depart with the rearguard of the corps to steppe, preparing the H.I.M. Guards Corps to Khiva Campaign. By that time, he left Voronezh and moved out to construction sites in Kherson.

At the entrances to the city were hundreds of beggars, begging for travelers. Of course, that was a typical situation for Russia, but Nicholas has never saw so many poor people.

The situation turned worse, than it could be. Instead of buildings there were only foundations. Meanwhile, back in January, Kherson landlords found out about the constructions of factories and sent crowds of peasants to the city for seasonal work with the proviso that money given to peasants for food and accommodations will return back with a bit profit. But soon all the money ran out and peasants prefered starving death to birch and disgrace of landlord.

7d29b12ce659.jpg

(left corner: unemployment in Crimea (30 craftsmen) and in Kherson (1028 craftsmen); right corner: two factories in Crimea and one in Kherson)

- Your majesty, Nicholas Pavlovich, where could I get the resources and materials, when all the suplly goes to the army? We were trying to buy some cement, but with duties like these we could become bankrupt! – Governor Karantaev was trying to explain the situation.

As noticed the valet of Nicholas I, he returned to St.Petersburg being “some tired and angry”.

After arriving in capital, the Emperor sent an order to his son to go into billet on the border with Khiva in Guriev and move rest of the regiments to Orenburg to wait supplies and medicaments. Also Nicholas asked the Minister of Finance Kankrin to inform him when treasury reserves reached the mark of 50000 pounds.

Money is the blood of war, as Napoleon said. There will be no reconstruction, until there is no money in treasury.