• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Addendum to Chapter XV - Free the Frog
"Das wahr ein Befel!", he was heard to scream! "Der Angriff Steiners wahr ein Befel!"

I am sorry if this is very late, but I must applaud you for that Downfall reference (just in case no one else has yet, I haven't finished reading through yet).

What will the Duce name the first pizzeria opened in Odessa?

"Ristorante al Dente".... ;)

Status of Romania must be annoying for the Axis

You bet...

Cpt.Easy: Do you have plans to continue the war in case the Axis actually defeat the Soviets? Will the Allies continue? Will a defeated USSR auto-trigger the USA to join the Allied camp?

If Axis defeats Soviet, that will be a desition for the Allies to make. But no, a defeated Soviet will not auto-trigger the USA to join... although it is an interesting thought. We are actually discussing modding that would lower US neutrality when UK and/or USSR surrender process passes certain levels. That would sort of get at the point you are highlighting.

How come Persia is in the Axis when Japan 'enforced conquer' on them?

Ehr... you tell me. Sometimes the game allows two contradicting war-goals which results in dodgy outcomes. I don't know if this is such a case as I had my focus elsewhere.

edit: Oh, and plz do go in and check the AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Round 1. It is a good way to give som cred to your favorite writers and to find new onces.

Last edited:
I am sorry if this is very late, but I must applaud you for that Downfall reference (just in case no one else has yet, I haven't finished reading through yet).

Thank you! I wonder if there are any Hitler reacts to HOI-videos out there?

But on to regular buisness. I´m afraid that I´m away in Stockholm over the week, and will be unable to post a proper addendum.

Concerning the attack on Romania- I´m afraid that I can´t take all credit for that move. It was actually Maxyboy´s idea. I also have quite few screenshots. I had an adrenaline high when all my transports were moving through the Med, and was quite afraid of an attack from the RM. Besides a few naval strikes from Sardina, my transports made it through unharmed.

Unfortunately, though I am in no position to complain about the AI, most of the Romanian Army stayed deep in Soviet territory, and refused to move towards Romania. Taking out Hungary would have been icing on the cake, but the Axis mounted a strong defence.

I would also like to emphasize how desperate the southern front looked for the Russians. The road to Stalingrad was basically open- we have bought a little time for Russia. But we are not sure if it is enough.

Thank you! I wonder if there are any Hitler reacts to HOI-videos out there?

KREBS

The British have whittled down our coastal garrisons with amphibous raids
and are harrying our our retreating HQs with paratroopers.
The Royal Navy has also staged a major landing in Lübeck
and a fast British tank force is closing in on Berlin as we speak.

HITLER

Steiner's mobile reserves will cut them off.

KREBS

Mein Führer...Steiner...

JODL

Steiner's divisions couldn't hold. We had no manpower to
reinforce them after you ordered so many infantry divisions.

HITLER

*removes glasses*

Everyone who advised me to delay Barbarossa
please stay in this room...

If the Axis take Moscow the capital will move to Leningrad which is probably also threatened.

Usually, Stalingrad is their 2nd pick for Capital.

If Axis defeats Soviet, that will be a desition for the Allies to make. But no, a defeated Soviet will not auto-trigger the USA to join... although it is an interesting thought. We are actually discussing modding that would lower US neutrality when UK and/or USSR surrender process passes certain levels. That would sort of get at the point you are highlighting.

You could do something simpler and just adjust your home rule. In our MP game, we pick one saying that Axis should DoW USA if USSR is at war with both Japan and Germany, once USSR can trigger the event requiring them to be at 15% surrender progress (don't remember the name of that event).

Nice update btw. Eager to see how both sides will manage with strange AI behavior right in the middle of the front.

Its not. leningrad is 20 vp pionts and Stlalingrad is 10. Therefore Leningrad will be the next choice for capital.

Never realized that... I guess it is because, when I play GErmany, I usually capture Leningrad rather quickly and before Moscow... which leaves only Stalingrad as the obvious choice.

Thanks for the update!

It would be interesting to get some coments from the Russian or GER players on the prelude to reaching Moscow.
Did the Soviet manage a fighting retreat without losing too many Divs especially armor/mot/mech in the last two month?
How did the Sov fare vs. GER troops when making a stand - how was the troop qualitiy difference lately in tech/org/morale?
How badly beat up are the troops in Moscow and surrounding area (e.g. still good enough to make a stand - or already low on org and a pushover?)

It can't be that long till USA joins I'm pressing my thumbs SOV holds out without losing too many troops in the process.

Thel

It can't be that long till USA joins I'm pressing my thumbs SOV holds out without losing too many troops in the process.

33% neutrality is still huge. Expect nothing before 4-6 months... USA does not react to any Axis vs USSR events. It will if UK is in danger or any other Allies nations. So, expect something in about 2 reports from now, unless, of course, Axis decide to hit USA.

Definitely a cliff-hanger ending on that session... The Soviets on the ropes and Germany knocking on the door of Moscow, and the ever-present question of when the US will join the war and knock some heads together. If the Soviets buckle and lose Moscow, which looks likely, I can see the war with Britain devolving into a stalemate as they pull into a hedgehog formation and wait tensely for the US to join. Or, Zid could surprise us and keep up his aggressive, tricksy moves. I don't think a Seeloewe is possible given the state of the KM and RM so I can also see some epic aerial batles being likely. Looking forward to the next session!

Last edited:
Which would be the most stupid idea anybody could come up with in this situation ;-)

It might be a good idea in a few months - I believe there's a house rule restricting US movements until it actually joins the Allies. If it's just a week away from lowering neutrality enough, and the Japanese player isn't too busy on other fronts, he might choose a lighting strike to capture some Pacific bases. Not that it would make such a huge difference in the long run, but it could put the US on the back foot for the first few weeks and keep the initiative in the Axis camp.

Concerning "Seelöwe" it's not in the cards anytime soon with the KM and RM feeding the fishies ;)

Interesting though, that there are some German Marine Divs on the Eastern Front going for Moscow. I wonder what Daphne was up until he got himself a bunch of artificial reefs... :D

If SOV stays on (even with losing Moscow) till the US war entry - with the Red army mostly intact - the Axis is in for a downturn.

The only problem for the balance of this round would be an early "Bitter Peace".
(Due to the (ingame) limitations for the US, the Allies would have serious problems challenging the Axis on the European Mainland and a boring stalemate would evolve Axis=no Amphib options Allies=no chance to reconquer Europe in a single front war.)

We shall see if Zid comes up with something interesting to buy the Allies time to stay on the road to victory.

Interesting though, that there are some German Marine Divs on the Eastern Front going for Moscow. I wonder what Daphne was up until he got himself a bunch of artificial reefs... :D

There are so many swamps and rivers on the road to Moscow that marines become good alternative to line infantry. It is possible that he built them for this purpose and Seelowe was never in the cards.

There are so many swamps and rivers on the road to Moscow that marines become good alternative to line infantry. It is possible that he built them for this purpose and Seelowe was never in the cards.

Yes - but on the huge scale of the eastern-front the "IC/build-time-cost-effectiveness" of building Marines just for river crossings and swamps would be highly doubtfull. (And chances are the few expensive Marine Divs you have got are never in the section of the front line where they are quickly needed as the mobile forces (Arm/Mot/Mech) advance.

Maybe Daphne can eventuelly shed some light on the interesting history of these "flavour" units...

Yes - but on the huge scale of the eastern-front the "IC/build-time-cost-effectiveness" of building Marines just for river crossings and swamps would be highly doubtfull. (And chances are the few expensive Marine Divs you have got are never in the section of the front line where they are quickly needed as the mobile forces (Arm/Mot/Mech) advance.

Moscow is behind a river. Attacking Urban province behind a river with armoured divisions is suicide. Probably Miners are rushing to Moscow to prvent that.

You usually don't try to attack Moskov from the front without encircling it first. If the Red Army is caught off balance, they might even be forced to scede ground around Moskov proper.

In our games we also leave empty space behind Moscow so supply can flow, else whole country running out of supply due to encirclement feels definitely gamey.
Good luck in taking communist stronghold :)