• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
OOC: Man, I just join and I immediately get invaded? Boo.

OOC: He has actually invaded the empty province on your northern border...and it is perhaps worth noting that, were you to dedicate all of your IP to the task, you would field a force of seven armies. ;)

masthead1900.png

NILE FIELD FORCE STEAMS FOR THE CANAL!

In perhaps the largest gathering of British warships since the conclusion of the Exodus, the Nile Field Force left Bombay Harbour earlier this week and undertook its perilous journey to ascertain the exact fate of the Suez Canal. Dignitaries from across the Empire gathered to send off expedition leader Sir Henry Morton Stanley and his companions, including the Queen and Prime Minister Chamberlain; countless thousands more attempted to steal a glimpse of those vessels which might return civilisation to the Home Islands. The final tally of participants in the enterprise, released by Whitehall, includes several Fellows of the Royal Geographical Society selected to perform a survey of the Canal site, Lord Kelvin and his atmospheric research team from Cambridge, naturalist Frederick Selous, and Major-General Robert Baden-Powell, granted ranking authority over his own men and all Royal Navy personnel. While advance patrols in the Arabian Sea have made sporadic attempts to establish contact with Arab communities, most have degenerated into havens for raiders and pirates. Eager to obtain any sort of news regarding the fate of various societies in Africa and the Near East, the flotilla has been reportedly ordered to undertake further landings in search of peaceable enclaves; primary concern, naturally, continues to rest with establishing an outpost at Suez so that the cost of repair may be assessed.

stanleysails.png

Stanley and General Baden-Powell departing Bombay, aboard the deck of HMS Phaeton.

Exact personnel numbers are impossible to discern, but this publication's own estimate rests on perhaps five regiments in total, including detachments from the Gurkha and Artillery corps. Local gossip in Punakha claims that the Black Watch and Royal Irish Lancers have had most of their strength requisitioned for the Nile Field Force, and the Prime Minister has suggested that, if a stable forward camp can be seized, Stanley may lead a column down the Nile Delta. Even given the previous importance of the Canal in global commerce, some Opposition backbenchers have questioned the wisdom of such enormous expenditure on a matter far removed from current life in Delhi or Calcutta. While reconstruction of the Canal or restoring order to portions of Egypt are honourable goals in and of themselves, Mr. Chamberlain has in response framed the expedition as the most critical step in a scheme to reliably re-colonise the Homeland. Stanley perhaps encapsulated the sentiment best, before embarking for Africa:

"I undertake this endeavour, as in all else that I have done, for one purpose alone, and that is so I may once more see the White Cliffs of Dover, and feel the touch of Home."

Spend 3IP to finish construction of 1 Fleet.
Spend 5CP and 3IP to finish research of Army Tier II.
Use fleet to invade Egypt with 5 Armies.

OOC: He has actually invaded the empty province on your northern border...and it is perhaps worth noting that, were you to dedicate all of your IP to the task, you would field a force of seven armies. ;)

OOC: It is also worth noting that if we have learned anything these past 5 turns, it's that army size is not a strong guarantor of victory. ;)

Though it is interesting to note most of the major figures in my story have been Republicans, but those in the CSA are all Democrats. ;)

Last edited:
His Imperial Majesty Napoleon IV is alarmed by the sudden move by the British to seize control of Egypt and the Suez Canal. As the original constructors of the canal and the preeminent power in the region, France should have been consulted before an armed expedition was dispatched so close to our borders.

While the Emperor supports any effort to restore civilization and is open to reopening the canal, France-Outre-Mer will not tolerate any infringement on the sovereignty of our neighbor the Sultan of Egypt. As such we will be dispatching advisers to support the Sultans government and armed forces.

Send two armies to aid NPC Egypt's defense
OOC: I hope that this is allowed, I'm not looking to take control of Egypt, just deny it to the Brits.

His Imperial Majesty Napoleon IV is alarmed by the sudden move by the British to seize control of Egypt and the Suez Canal. As the original constructors of the canal and the preeminent power in the region, France should have been consulted before an armed expedition was dispatched so close to our borders.

While the Emperor supports any effort to restore civilization and is open to reopening the canal, France-Outre-Mer will not tolerate any infringement on the sovereignty of our neighbor the Sultan of Egypt. As such we will be dispatching advisers to support the Sultans government and armed forces.

OOC: I hope that this is allowed, I'm not looking to take control of Egypt, just deny it to the Brits.

OOC: Didn't the rules state a declaration of war is required before any battle results can be calculated? I would like to think you could aid in Egypt's defense, but I am not sure it is possible.

You would need to declare war on Britain before being allowed to attack its armies.

rel-lds.gif

Utah Threatened By Bandits Again
A New "Bandito Emperor" Rises

195px-Pancho_villa_horseback.jpg

Bandit leader and Self-Proclaimed Emperor,
José Doroteo Arango Arámbula

The following article was published in The Mormon Tribune:

Government moves to fight new bandito threat!

Reports of raids on the southern frontier continue to sweep across the desert. We now know large groups of homestead settlers have been displaced from their land, forced to take refuge in towns like Chihuahua, Durango and Brownsville. Thousands of Americans have settled this new frontier over the past 15 years, and they were promised military protection. Can it be provided to them?

The Zion's Frontier Office reports that while the Mexican bandits were disorganized and weak after their defeat in 1884, in the last decade a new group has gradually consolidated power in Central Mexico. Consisting of bandits and remnants of the Mexican military, they have suppressed and conquered many of the other splintered groups in the region. They are led by their so-called Emperor, José Doroteo Arango Arámbula, who reports say is actually quite young. During the Western Civil War, they saw the opportunity and began raiding the homestead settlements of Americans in northern Mexico. Now that the war is over, however, the army has recovered and can turn its attention to suppressing these vicious attackers.

Theodore Roosevelt has appointed John J. Pershing, a 40-year old officer who is said to have proven enormous military competence during the civil war in California, to head the army and end the bandito threat once and for all. We wish him and his soldiers success and good fortune; may God bless his enterprise.

CAPTJPershing.jpg

John J. Pershing, Brigadier General of the United Territories

OOC: Hyzenhok, you're really pushing this crushing thing, eh? Don't be too mean on my countrymen :)

OOC: Just to be clear, remember that most of my roleplaying is through newspapers, who are likely to get facts wrong and report from a severely biased position. So you can take everything with a grain of salt. ;) And please forgive my power-RPing of the goings on in neutral territories.

I must have misunderstood the rules then. I thought everyone starts with 2 armies and 2 IC, which would mean that the best I can do is 3 armies. So I must be very confused somewhere.

I must have misunderstood the rules then. I thought everyone starts with 2 armies and 2 IC, which would mean that the best I can do is 3 armies. So I must be very confused somewhere.

OOC: You (and I) get bonus IP on this turn to represent the accumulated IP we haven't used over the last few turns.

Demography of the Confederacy​

It is estimated that the tsunami and the devastation that followed it in 1878 killed half of the native population of Central America, although an accurate count does not exist. There are logs of ships that transported Southerners to Central America in the aftermath of the cataclysm, but in light of the massive flood of refugees these cannot be counted on to give a true figure. Bellow are the estimates compiled by Woodrow Wilson as part of his 1897 compromise.

"If there existed accurate counts of the peoples of Central America before the Calamity, they are certainly gone now. We must use our intellect to deduce such a number as may allow for a peaceful compromise to persist. It is known that the population of Central America used to be about one out of three of the population of Mexico. There are some who claim they knew Mexico's population and so we can calculate the unreliable figure of 5,71 million peoples.

How many of them perished? This is a question we will never know the answer to. Some villages no longer exist at all, others in the heartland of the country are now larger than they were. Some locals claim that more than two out of three peoples had died, but this appears to be an overstatement. To add to an already unreliable number we must take a guess, and my guess is one half. Someday I may be proven wrong, but I will claim that 2,855 million locals survived the aftermath of the Cataclysm.

Now we turn out attention to the number of Americans that arrived on these shores. Logs of ships account for 114 thousand, but we know this to be a grave underestimation. We are helped in our endeavor by knowing that in the first few years almost all Americans lived in or around a small number of cities - New Charleston, Savannah, South Richmond, and Memphis, and later Atlanta. The need to provide food and shelter means that we know a somewhat accurate count of these people, putting it at 0,868 million. Not all survived the last two decades, but some have brought new life into the World as well. Having no better number or guess, I will use the old number for this compromise.

And so we have that there are 0,868 million Americans to 2,855 million locals in our Confederacy. All will from now have the same rights, and the same responsibilities to each other and to the Country. We have all lost too much in the past to not work together for a tolerable future."

Map.png

EDIT:

ORDERS: Spend 4 IC on 1 fleet, and 6 IC on 3 armies. Use the navy and 5 armies to invade Cuba/Caribbean/Can't-quite-tell-if-its-all-one-territory.

Last edited:
Election of 1901​

The Confederacy, taking its lineage from the democratic principles of the United States, had a tradition of democratic institutions, but so far in its existence these institutions have not played a role. Early was appointed President, and Lamar and Carlisle were chosen unopposed. By 1901, however, the country was stable for the first time since its founding, and Carlisle's term was up. With Carlisle prohibited from seeking a second term, there was, for a first time, to be political competition.

The three men who emerged as contenders were Murphy Foster, Governor of Louisiana, Champ Clark, Speaker of the Confederate House, and Carter Glass, the hawkish editor of the New Charleston Herald. The Herald, and Glass in particular, have argued for an expanded military, and an expedition to Cuba. Up until now the Confederacy has relied on paramilitary groups and "rifle clubs" for its fighting forces, and given its history with the Civil War a proposal for a standing federal military was controversial.

The controversy made Glass unelectable as President, but in the last weeks of the election he emerged in the position of kingmaker. For whatever reason (likely some kind of a private promise) he threw his support behind Foster, who emerged victorious in the first real election in Confederate history.

220px-Murphy_James_Foster.jpg

Murphy Foster, fifth President of the Confederacy

Address to the Kaiserreich by His Imperial Royal Majesty Kaiser Wilhelm II

New Luebeck, 31 December 1899

Today, we stand upon the precipice of history. A great endeavour awaits the German Empire and its people. We must stand together, shoulder to shoulder with our heads held high, to meet the challenges and threats of this new century and turn them back. Tomorrow, is the first day of which I suggest will be the German century. When you rise from your beds tomorrow, not one person shall look back on the past and grieve for what we have lost. Rather, we shall revel in what we have gained. There is no option for us to sit still and watch the world progress beyond our reach. We cannot shy away from the leap of faith we now find ourselves facing.

For twenty years, you have engaged faithful, hard and peaceful labor, following the principles of my blessed grandfather. For twenty years, your comrades in the Imperial Army have spilled their blood and given their lives to expand the greatness of this very Empire. What I ask of you all now is nothing less than that which you have delivered for these past decades. I am saddened to know that our people have given birth to sons and daughters who have never set their eyes upon the glory of the Fatherland. They have never seen our mountains, our forests, our cathedrals and our cities. It is for their sake, as much as it is for our own, that we shall, nay, must, return to our homeland.

I have seen your comrades perform admirably on the fields of battle. Acts of gallantry and courage that will not soon be forgotten. I have seen the hulls of our ships at the dockyards, sailed upon our mightiest vessels and known the qualities of their construction and their crews. I have walked amongst the factories. I have seen our farmlands. And in this all, I have seen the greatness of the German people.

We are not alone in this world. Soon, we will face trials that will test each and every one of us and our commitment to our dreams. To our destiny. And I know this, when I declare that none shall dare stand in our way.

Deutschland über alles. Gott mit uns.

kaiseruniopener.jpg

"He's gone may he now rest in Peace" Said Kuroda. "I guess that makes you Shogun now that Yoshinobu has left us." "I guess that does? It just all seemed to end so quickly don't you think?" replied Iesato. "Maybe all the stress just in the end got to him." Replied Kuroda. "Japan needs to change the Meji government has started Modernisation we must finish it, I also think we need a national Newspaper, Literacy is increasing and we need to spread news to People that could do the Job don't you think." Replied Iesato. "Yes that would work well, you may also wish to find a replacement for me I'm getting close to the end of my time as an active leader the troops need someone younger." Replied Kuroda. " I'll keep that in mind." Replied Iesato as he left the room.

You do need to declare war, in which case you will fight each other before the winner attacks the neutral territory.

And you receive them now. I'll PM you.

OOC: So that's a no on my "advisers" then. Poo. How many more of my schemes must you shoot down this turn! :p

In that case, my revised orders are to cancel the construction of the two new armies
Instead, invest three additional IP in finishing Airship II, and invest one IP in building the first Imperial Air Fleet

Le Temps Nouveau

Emperor Hopes for "Diplomatic Solution" to Suez Crisis
512px-Canal-suez.jpg

Amid growing apprehension over a British military expedition to the ruined Suez Canal, Emperor Napoleon IV publicly called for calm. While reiterating his position that a British occupation of Egypt would represent a direct threat to the Empire's security, HIM said that "I am still optimistic that a diplomatic solution can be reached in the interest of all civilized peoples of the world, and unnecessary conflict can be averted."

The British government seeks to reopen the canal, or failing that to use Egypt as a base for a return expedition to the British Isles. While the Emperor supports both the reopening of the canal and recolonization of Europe, many in the government fear that this is just a pretext for British conquest of Egypt.

Imperial sources have revealed to Le Temps that the Emperor is instead pursuing a solution that would open French ports to British shipping, while leaving Egypt as a neutral party. But to be viable such a plan would also require German consent to allow British ships to reach French ports in Africa.

OOC: One more thing, is tech trading allowed? I believe I asked this before but I don't recall ever getting an answer.