• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1399-01welcome.png

Turn 17, first half:
Persia, exhaustion and a surprise.

Jim: Good evening, dear audience. Another exciting round of Double Domination is about to start. With me are Bob and the Referee.

Bob: Hi everyone.

Referee: Good evening.

Jim: So Referee, the last weeks there was quite some discussion within the IDDA, wasn't there?

Referee: Indeed, Jim. There is disagreement on how to deal with the match. Germany has gained such a lead over Japan that there is a danger that the Final Battle wouldn't be balanced or exciting.

Bob: A valid point. With Germany having a massive tech lead which is only increasing and the vast resources of Europe at its fingertips, even the combined might of all of Asia is no match.

Referee: We have received a lot of very good suggestions have been from our loyal fans. For example, giving the Japanese team more turns in the field or having Japan inherit its unions. However, while these suggestions would indeed make Japan significantly stronger, they all require heavy interference from me. This makes the outcome of the match much less natural.

Jim: It would indeed be for the best if the manipulation of the timeline is kept at a minimum, as every edit diminishes our contestant's achievements.

Referee: Right. So we have decided that Japan will be the attacker and Germany will be the defender in the Final Battle. While Japan will almost certainly be weaker, its competent leadership from our contestants will tip the balance significantly.

Jim: Sad to see that we will not have our finale in Asia, but I can see your point, Referee. Thanks for your explanation. People, let's get ready to rumble!

Bob: Japan is in a sorry state. Emperor Tsuchimikado I died in 1717 after ruling for 38 years. No inheritance. His successor Sakuramachi only ruled for two years before dying. Again, no nation was inherited. Now the Empress Meisho rules, but not too well. The war of imperialism with Champei has led to a staggering war exhaustion of 22 points, while Japan has a 100% warscore.

Jim: No surprise that the war is ended immediately with Brunei, the only enemy left, paying 1750 ducats in reparations. However, this does not end Japan's problems.

1720-01militaryofjapan.png

Bob: Indeed. Again, a way too large army destroys not only Japan's enemies but also its budget: almost one-fifth of Japan's GDP is sunk into army maintenance. To keep costs down, the military focusses its policy more on Land. Also, a travelling monk absorbs almost all of the war loot from Brunei.

1721-11travellingmonk.png

Jim: I see the missionary is send to convert an Islamic province in Japanese India.

Bob: Due to the many revolts, Japan has to regain its footing in the years 1720-1722. But as Japan's infamy falls, I sense urgency in our contestant's ranks. An indeed, in January 1722, war is declared on Persia. With only 18 regiments on its side, its weak steppe allies will do little to stem the tide, as Japan sends 60 regiments to Persia. Even with almost equal land techs, Persia can do little against Japan...

Jim: Hold on, big news coming in! In November 1722, Germany declares a war of Liberation on Japan!

1722-11germanydowsjapan.png

Referee: Overruled. I edit the war out of existence. So, peace between Germany and Japan. Please, carry on.

Jim: Wow, that was sudden. Still, amazing how long it took for the natives to get Germany and Japan in a war. Hopefully this will not happen again.

Bob: Agreed. In the meantime, the war with Persia goes well, as in May 1723, in a single battle almost all of Persia's troops are destroyed. Almost all of Persia's fortresses are now besieged by Japan and its allies. Encouraged by this, Japan declares another war, this one on Korea.

Jim: In the meantime, Japan continues the construction of many buildings: with four magistrates per year, money has once again become the limiting factor in construction. Those high-level buildings might be powerful, they sure are expensive!

Bob: After years of sieging, Persia surrenders in 1725 and cedes six provinces, dividing the country into four non-connected parts.

1725-02persiasurrenders.png

Jim: In July, Korea is annexed. Ten provinces in five years, not a bad rate of expansion.

Bob: Certainly not, Jim. However, Japan's rivals are not as happy as us with these developments.

Jim: Germany has declared war again?

Bob: No, Aceh did. Together with Deva Bengal, Pegu, Makassar and Bali.

Jim: I doubt all those together could defeat Wu, let alone the whole Japanese alliance.

Bob: Oh yes. In mere weeks, Deva Bengal is annexed and the others agree to concede defeat. Finally some peace to bring down that horrendous war exhaustion!

Jim: Which is very much needed. Revolts break out everywhere on a very regular basis. The following years sees a lot of rebel whacking and building construction, but not much else. Only in 1729 does something noteworthy happen: the Shinto Church mobilises the population, increasing the stability to three.

1729-04church.png

Bob: Very nice! As stability now costs 10.000 ducats per point, this is a very good thing for Japan. Even more good domestic news is coming in, as apparently Government tech 33 is reached, allowing the adoption of Japan's eight National Idea. Smithian Economics is chosen.

1729-08government.png

Jim: As Japan's production income was almost 4000 ducats per year at 70% production efficiency, yearly income rises almost with 1000 ducats. Let's see what this means compared to other nations:

1730-01nationcomp.png

Bob: Economically, Japan has crept a little closer to Germany in this turn. However, Germany's inflation management is far superior to any other country's. Also, the many German customs houses have sky-rocketed its trade efficiency.

Jim: Still, a good turn for Japan, with plenty of expansion and lots of economical development. Hopefully Japan's war exhaustion, still at 15 points, won't spoil its future. See you after the break!

1730-01mapofjapan.png

That monk has some serious living costs. Did you build him a castle? You can get a university for less than that!

Would it be possible to put Japan and Germany in a permenant 'truce' until the final battle? Im guessing it would just stops the DOW's every 5 years. And of course another great update, looks like Japan has got a large mountain to climb before it is anywhere near up to par with Germany!

Maybe the final battle can be in multiplayer, so both teams get to play at once. Just a thought.
We have discussed that idea a couple of pages ago.

Germany grows and Japan races to try to keep up, seems to sum this up. But I have the hope of epic battles to come.
Quite right. I would be suprised if the end battle wouldn't be epic: Japan alone has at the moment an army as large as the Central Republic's.

That monk has some serious living costs. Did you build him a castle? You can get a university for less than that!
Indeed, vow of poverty my ass. The bastard knows that 1500 ducats pales in comparison to losing a stability point worth 10.000 ducats.

Would it be possible to put Japan and Germany in a permenant 'truce' until the final battle? Im guessing it would just stops the DOW's every 5 years. And of course another great update, looks like Japan has got a large mountain to climb before it is anywhere near up to par with Germany!
If you can tell me how, I would do that. At the moment, I just edit out the war, which seems to work quite nicely. It took Germany centuries to dow for the first time and so far hasn't done again. As so little time remains (only 1 turn left!), I don't think this will be too much of a problem.

Japan can't catch up with Germany anymore. You'll see why in the second half.

1399-01welcome.png

Turn 17, second half:
Furor Teutonicus

Jim: We're waving the German contestants goodbye as they enter the XS-35. Bob, what situation will they find themselves in?

Bob: Well Jim, there's been a two-year German-Swedish war of liberation, the result of which is the liberation of Finland.

1730-01scandinavia.png

Jim: Well done, I guess. Any other changes?

Bob: Not much, just that Germany has also adopted Smithian Economics. The copycats.

Jim: As if they needed the economic boost. I see that Ferdinand still lives, so no inheritances. <sigh>.

Bob: Don't worry, there's plenty to be cheery about. For example, Germany has gained a core on a British province, the Western Isles. So a war of Reconquest is declared right away.

Jim: Ohh...oh my...that's horrible to watch...With Germany's massive numerical and technical superiority, the British are just slaughtered. In a year, Britain surrenders.

1730-11britishpeace.png

Bob: But no peace for Europe. As soon as the Germans have peace with Britain, they start another war. A war of unification against Byzantium, whose king and his 0% legitimacy was probably already waiting for this.

Jim: While Sweden comes to the Roman Empire's help, I doubt it will change the outcome. Meanwhile, Germany drops its ancient tradition of Military Drill and instead institutes a National Conscription.

1731-03government.png

Bob: With stability only costing 4000 ducats, Germany can easily recover the -3 stability hit of adopting National Conscription in a year. Have I mentioned that Germany scares me?

Jim: In June 1732, all of Byzantium is conquered and Byzantium becomes Germany's sixth union.

1732-06byzantium.png

Bob: Even if Germany's military hardly needs it, new tactics and weapon improvements are continuously invented. At the end of the year, land tech 43 is reached and Frederickian Infantry is selected, making the German war machine even more fearsome.

1732-11landtech43.png

Jim: In contrast to its research policy, Germany becomes a little bit peaceful the next couple of years. A hefty investment is made in weapon manufactories, with all magistrates going into their construction. In 1733, Germany's elite become more focusses on trade, making it more Plutocratic. Also, Germany refrains from interfering in the Swedish-British war, which results in Sweden obtaining two British provinces in 1743.

Bob: This peaceful expansion of Germany's economy does not last too long. In 1735, a war of Liberation is declared on Venice. The German forces take it easy and patiently besiege the Venician fortresses in Italy and the Mediterranean. Only in 1737, Venice gives up, ceding three provinces to Germany.

1737-07venicepeace.png

Jim: Looks like the German team is on a roll. The ink is still wet on Venice's peace treaty as a war of unification is declared on Hungary. I imagine the nightmare of any Christian monarch is to lose so much legitimacy that the German horde descents upon him.

Bob: As Germany is now easily capable of waging multiple wars, as soon as the truce with Great Britain ends in 1738, Germany declares a war of liberation on it. By the way, the British government has wisely relocated its capital to the west coast of Mexico, far from the reach of Germany.

Jim: To no one's surprise, soon Hungary surrenders, becoming Germany's seventh union partner.

1738-11hungary.png

Bob: A mere year later, Great Britain surrenders, ceding Aberdeen and London to Germany and Normandy to France. Wow, Germany has expanded quite a lot this turn: nine provinces and two new unions.

1740-01europe.png

Jim: Still, I think its domestic development is even more impressive. Germany gains new technology every year. This will only get quicker in the future, as so many weapon manufactories have been build.

Bob: How many?

Jim: This turn? No less than 26 manufactories, every one only costing less than 1000 ducats, a pittance for the German economy.

Bob: Wow! That is indeed very impressive. The income from those new manufactories alone equals Poland's or Manchu's economy. Poor Japan. It's a good thing that only a couple of decades remain or Germany would approach singularity!

Jim: Indeed, poor Japan. If you folks at home want to know what the Japanese team will do with this situation, tune in next time!

Last edited:
Oh yes, I remember the hundreds of travelling monks in my last Japan game. I truly loathe that event.

Great update!
Thanks, il_loco.

This will be very interesting. Germany is certainly strong - I hope the AI is able to take advantage of those strengths. Sometimes it acts a bit senile.
I hope so too. However, the sheer brute force that Germany and its allies can muster will provide a challenge all on its own.

How will Japan Win against Germany?
Japan has to control every province of Germany and its union partners France, Poland, Spain, Montenegro, Sicily, Byzantium and Hungary.

Oh yes, I remember the hundreds of travelling monks in my last Japan game. I truly loathe that event.
It's a bad event indeed.

A question: Are you planing to make more prepared to an amphibious assault? In their turn, will you make them have more ships then they normally have?

I can hardly understand what you're trying to say. Do you mean if I plan to build more Japanese ships to invade Europe? And that I will build beyond the naval force limits?

Well, both Germany and Japan have navies larger than the naval force limits. As for planning an amphibious assault, wait and see what happens.

1399-01welcome.png

Turn 18, first half:
towards Poland

Jim: Welcome, good fans, to the last regular turn of Double Domination: Germany versus Japan.

Bob: Welcome. The year is 1740 and Team Japan is just about to start its turn. Again, war exhaustion is sky high at 23 points. Japan has waged very successful wars against Persia and a grown Iraq, gaining multiple provinces in the Middle East.

1740-01middleeast.png

Jim: Somewhat of a surprise, seeing how poorly the army is organised. Half of the corps have more cavalry than infantry, losing the benefits of combined arms, leading to much bigger losses. Also, many corps are gigantic and take lots of attrition, no doubt the source of all that war exhaustion. Stupid natives.

Bob: Once again, many revolts have to be put down and the armies reorganised. The expensive artillery are cut, as are the many Muslim cavalry regiments. In a year, some semblance of organisation is brought back and the army is cut back below the force limit.

Jim: With all the rebels, it's no wonder that people seek their salvation in religion, making the Japanese more narrowminded.

1741-01goingnarrowminded.png

Bob: Still, with all the problems, Japan still pushes for expansion. In 1741 Imperialism war is declared on Iraq. The Mamluks, Yemen and some smaller Islamic nations join the war.

Jim: The war goes quite predictable. Still, it takes two years to fully control Iraq and about the half of the Mamluk empire. One reason for the slow progress is the level 4 fortress protecting the Iraqi capital. A harsh peace is imposed on Iraq.

1743-03iraq.png

Bob: Japan is now fully focuses on the Middle East. As soon as Iraq signs peace, war is declared on Persia. Soon, The Mamluks concede defeat, so that Japan can bear all its forces on Persia.

Jim: Too bad that in 1744, the Empress becomes sick, which deals a blow to the nation's stability and shifts the balance of power to the Aristocracy.

1744-07sickness.png

Bob: Still, this does hinder the extensive building program. A tax assessor, a grain depot, a glorious monument and a war college are build, at a considerable cost in inflation, though.

Jim: In 1745, people want to sample new religions again and again, the Japanese react by becoming more narrowminded.

Bob: Persia finally succumbs to the numerous sieges and has to cede six provinces.

1745-06persia.png

Jim: Nice, ten provinces in five years. Too bad all those irritating rebels slow down the flow of the game somewhat.

Bob: Indeed, with most provinces having a revolt risk well in excess of 15%, every month a rebel army or two spawns. Perhaps that's why our contestants increase the burden of Serfdom, to increase control over the peasants?

Jim: Perhaps. What is certain, though, is that the declaration of reconquest on Japan by Baluchistan is a supremely stupid move. In a couple of months, they agree to cede all cores.

Bob: If you as a nation have less troops than the local rebel hunting forces of a global empire, you might consider not declaring war. Still, an amusing diversion.

Jim: As Japan has truces with almost all of the Middle East, its efforts are focussed on construction. For example, In 1747 the royal palace is build. But wait, we receive a strange message:

1747-01aftermath.png

Bob: Apparently some confusion with our reporters on the scene. They couldn't figure out the war's name or the heir's. Also, they quote the heir saying “father” to the Empress... pretty sloppy journalism.

Jim: A bit strange, indeed. Still, a nice event for our contestants, as losing war exhaustion and getting stability is exactly what they need.

Bob: In 1758, the truce with Iraq comes to and end and war is declared. Once again the Mamluks, Yemen and a bundle of smaller Muslim countries join the fun.

Jim: The Japanese troops patiently besiege the enemy forts. In the meantime, a very nice reform event takes place.

1748-07regionalnobles.png

Bob: Very nice. With Japan's serfdom and aristocracy maximised, they reap the full benefits of both policies, in particular the cheaper troops.

Jim: On 29 December 1749, after two years of besieging the level 4 fort of Iraqi capital, it falls. Iraq is annexed.

Bob: Wow, that was just in time! This is a strategic victory, as now Japan has a clear path to Poland.

1750-01Japan.png

Jim: Lots of policy changes, nice conquests and plenty of new buildings. I think the contestants did quite well in this turn. As they leave the Japanese Empire with an war exhaustion of 12 points, we go to commercials. See you later!

1399-01welcome.png

Turn 18, second half:
the last effort.

Jim: Welcome to the very last turn of the German team, dear viewers. Hopefully they will make the best of their last ten years in the field.

Bob: Like they need it.

Jim: A new king, Friedrich V is now king of the United Kingdoms of Europe. What will Germany do with its last few years? Besides recovering from its 12 points of war exhaustion.

Bob: I get reports that the Cabinet is disbanded and that instead a General Staff is formed.

1750-11government.png

Jim: The time of diplomacy is indeed over. A massive army recruitment project is started, especially to get more infantry so that all armies get combined arms, something the natives still don't get.

Bob: After recovering stability as nobles are concerned by the free subjects and a meteor was spotted, so full stability is only reached in 1753.

Jim: Again, an old and trusted National Idea is exchanged for one more suited for the Final Battle. The Espionage National Idea has to go and in its stead, Grand Navy navy is adopted. With the high plutocracy, Germany still gets 0.4 spies per year.

1753-02government.png

Bob: Look like Germany aims for getting a massive navy. The northern ports are ordered to construct a large amount of threedeckers, about twenty. To put it in perspective: France has less Big Ships than that.

Jim: Hey, a surprise!

1753-12prussiaunion.png

Bob: How did that happen...? Wait, I see the king claimed Prussia's throne during the absence of the German team and now reaps the benefits. Funny, it's the first peaceful union of both teams.

Jim: Less peaceful is how Germany deals with Modena. In 1754, after many spies from Modena, Germany loses its patience and declares war. Modena is quickly annexed.

1754-02modena.png

Bob: I see that Germany no longer cares about infamy.

Jim: After the war, once again full stability is gained and all investments go into treasury, as almost all techs are ahead of time and Germany wants to build up a war chest. More troops and forts are build in preparation.

Bob: In 1755, the king dies, leaving a regency to his son Albrecht of two years.

Jim: So Modena was Germany's last non-Final Battle war. Bit of an anticlimax. This forces Team Germany to spend its last five years in the game on building more troops and forts. As the German team returns home to the cheers of their fans, let's have a look on what they left.

Bob: Here's a picture of the United Kingdoms of Europe:

1760-01UnitedKingdoms.png

Jim: Japan basically has to face the combined might of most of Europe. We salute the German contestants for a job well done. They'll have a deserved rest while the Japanese team prepares for what promises an epic Final Battle. In the next episode, Japan will get ten years until the Final Battle begins in 1770, at which point Bob and I will do a little pre-Battle analysis. See you then!

Knowing the AI, I have a strange feeling the final battle will involve a lot of doomstack attrition for Germany...
Are other nations going to be allowed to declare war on the combatants? Or is there a forced neutrality during the final battle?

Knowing the AI, I have a strange feeling the final battle will involve a lot of doomstack attrition for Germany...
Are other nations going to be allowed to declare war on the combatants? Or is there a forced neutrality during the final battle?
It will be interesting to see how the AI deals with these huge armies. The German alliance will be the largest AI alliance I have ever faced in EU3.

I haven't really thought about the other nations during the Final Battle. My first instinct is to let the game go the way it goes, unless it somehow upsets the Final Battle too much.

A diplomatic map SS from Japan would be nice, just to have a better look at what they control, as you did with Germany.
I'll make one in the next update. Also, a pre-Battle analysis is planned which will exactly show how strong both alliances are.