• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How can one make military allies with someone far away, but yet fold when called upon because of his position on sending men abroad? Unless something changes, I see no good solution. Insults do not help at all Congress-men, but criticism is well-founded, limited ties are indeed needed, relations be kept good, but Military Alliances mean nothing good for the American Homeland, friends.

I may be incorrect here, but I have not seen any promises made concerning a military alliance. I know subsides were and are being sent, but as of now, I have not seen anything pertaining to a military alliance with the Germans.

And he said he shall not send American Soldiers abroad to Europe, the United States can do more than just send soldiers in the event of a war.

For one thing, if you want to expand foreign influence, relations must be made, and the only way to do that in Europe is to ally with one of the three major powers, if not, how can you otherwise? Europeans are warmongering wealth-takers, unless they gain something from us, why would they help?

Think about it, expanding influence can only mean alliances will come soon, relations can not just "be made" and not followed up on, what would be the point besides a loss of money?

Not necessarily, I can name a few situations in history when good and steady relations didn't necessarily mean a direct military alliance. And expanding our influence doesn't always mean alliances. It would be ridiculous to think so. To put it simply, we should continue to build up non-military relations with other nations, particularly rising ones that need our support more than established empires like Britain and France.

We can support nations without sending our own men to die, war subsides is only one way of doing this.

Why? Was it despicable of France to send support to the United States in our darkest hour in the Revolution? So why would it be despicable of us to send support to the Germans, who are on the road to creating their own new nation? Tell me sir, are the subsides making our nation bankrupt?

I do not see the point in debating this, as even if your plan does go through to the President, he's already said he will veto it.

If you knew... Which I find you don't, we can override the said veto. As I said, although it was helpful to us, France despised us throughout the 1800s because of our trade with England. Sadly, although the Germans objective is great, we can not risk a World-Wide War and the loss of tens of thousands of lives.

So? France still helped us, was that a despicable thing of them to do? So how is the situation in Germany any different than our own American Revolution? The French most certainly risked a world wide war for our sake, should we not risk the same for the sake of others?

The Edmonds Compromise

((The bill presented is not a compromise Those were acts designed to trade concessions between two intractable factions, whereas this act seeks override the policies of another group in congress)).

Before it could gain my support I would seek to exclude the navy from this act. We could support our allies in South America against local aggressors (assuming we would send men in the eventuality of a European interloper), with little loss of life by using blockades.

Also, a bill cannot legislate that it can not be repealed, but it can contain a sunset clause to state the duration after which a vote is needed to sustain it.

I may be incorrect here, but I have not seen any promises made concerning a military alliance. I know subsides were and are being sent, but as of now, I have not seen anything pertaining to a military alliance with the Germans.

I was under the impression that we had a formal alliance as of Jamous' first term. While I'm hardly impressed by an ally that surely needs us more than we need them, as long as Spain is protected by France (another American Coloniser) I can understand the natural attraction of Prussia; who is by necessity opposed to those established Powers,

Why? Was it despicable of France to send support to the United States in our darkest hour in the Revolution? So why would it be despicable of us to send support to the Germans, who are on the road to creating their own new nation? Tell me sir, are the subsides making our nation bankrupt?

I do not see the point in debating this, as even if your plan does go through to the President, he's already said he will veto it.

((America did not have a Revolution, except in the figurative sense, the part that France didn't support.))
The difference is this, France did not support America to create a hegemony in North America, it support America to put pressure on the UK's economy. We would be supporting a monarchical state against another monarchical state.

Our enemies do not become any weaker through a German war, or even Prussian victory. We do not become stronger for this war, and only marginally through Prussian victory, assuming they would aid us in our time of need.

This is not the revolution of 1848, there will be no crown from the gutter. We should financially support only those nations fighting imperialism or protecting their people.

While I agree that the US should not make any European alliances, I can not support the Edmunds bill. The foreign policy of this nation should be decided by the President and I believe this bill would undermine that authority.

Mr Willians is correct, this does nothing but limit the powers of the President during his term. And as for alliances, I would still never send American sons across the ocean to aid Germans in their just war. They have not called upon us to do so, and I very much doubt they shall. And if they do, we shall use the might of our navy to aid them, not men on the beaches to be cut down. Our navy is the equal to any and the superior to most of the world. But for right now, I would and will continue to send financial aid only.

I Strongly oppose the Edmonds Compromise on a number of different Grounds.

1. This is not a compromise as all but is the isolationists making a last ditch effort to stop us assisting the Germans

2. To Abandon our Allies at this point is highly irresponsible and cannot be practically contemplated

3. The American people who gave the vast Majority of thier vote to candidates who would intervene will likely oppose such a act

4. This bill is UNCONSTITUTIONAL in numerous ways. Its violations of the seperation of powers are both blatant and many.

Jamous (2nd Term): Growing Pains

The election of 1869 revolved around the German question. It followed the candidates to every debate, and had a disproportionate amount of attention lavished on it in advertisements [1]. The great shocker however, was not Jamous’ thin margin of victory, but the Libertarian Party’s thin margin of defeat.
Most people had expected the election to either end like the last one, with the Libertarians and Republicans tying and coasting Jamous to victory, but it was not to be. Sam Hensdale’s campaign, though it got off to a loud and seemingly victorious start, crashed and burned in late January. The Libertarian Party seemed to have swooped in on the votes that would have gone to the Republicans, and thus secured themselves second place.
The moral victory allowed Bryan’s faction to strengthen its hold on the party, squeezing out many of his adversaries. The last real resistance to National Vinogradism was now the Marxist faction, which still held a shrinking majority in the party apparatus.

election1869.jpg

1. Results for the Election of 1869.​

After his electoral victory, Jamous turned his attention back to the situation in Germany. The balance of power in the Austro-Prussian War, now in its fifth month, was slowly but surely swinging decisively in Prussia’s favor. On January 12th, the United Kingdom officially declared war on Austria, depriving the Habsburgs of hope of a Russian or French intervention.
The Austrians’ problems were compounded by the ongoing Bavarian War, a conflict sparked in February 1868 by the Bavarian refusal to comply with Austrian policy in regards to Prussia. It was the Bavarian War that led to the cooling down of relations between France and Austria that enabled the Austro-Prussian War. By January 1868, a third of Austrian forces were engaged in Bavaria, attempting in vain to establish a full occupation of the country.
With the situation in Germany relatively stable, Jamous could thus focus elsewhere. He began the long battle for influence in Japan in February by ordering the American Ambassador, James Harrison, to curry favor with the Emperor at all costs. Until 1871 Harrison’s efforts went mostly unnoticed by the Russians, who had effectively included Japan in their sphere of influence with the Russo-Japanese Treaty of 1859.

jamesharrison.jpg

2. James Harrison, United States Ambassador to Japan (1867-74).​

In March, the President was also forced to deal with the consequences of American political expansion. On March 29th, the government of Haiti was overthrown by the aristocrats and generals in a bloody military coup, brought on by the landlord’s opposition to President Jean Boyer’s, American supported, attempts at land reform and democratization. Jamous decided not to intervene militarily, and established relations with the new government, despite allowing Jean Boyer to stay in Florida.
In order to prevent future overthrows of democratic, or at the least American-supported, governments, Jamous pushed the creation of the United States Marine Expeditionary Force. According to the official description, the USME would land in countries threatened by violent revolution, and restore democracy and order. Jamous however, declined to use the USME in January 1871, when a similar revolution occurred in Peru, albeit conducted mostly by the farmers and workers, who installed a marginally more democratic government.
Perhaps inspired by the revolution in Haiti, the Confederate Government’s Call to Arms in 1869 was particularly vitriolic, and incurred an actual armed uprising. The US Military, recalled only months earlier from the South, was ordered on July 29th to quell the insurrection. 370 US soldiers, and about 10 times as many rebels died in combat in 1869, and the US Army stayed in the South.
The revolutions in Haiti and Peru also emboldened the more radical elements of the anarchist movement in the United States. They took to organizing strike actions and assaulting police officers in major cities. The situation came to a head in May 1871, after an anarchist meeting was broken up violently by police in Chicago, resulting in the death of 16-year old Andrew Moll.
The news quickly spread around the country, and the anarchists took this as a sign that the time was ripe for revolution. Anarchist factions in large cities gathered weapons and headed for government institutions, expecting the local populace to rise up with them. Instead, the rebellion turned out to become about 42,000 ill-equipped revolutionaries around the country.

americananarchist.jpg

3. The leaders of the American Anarchist Movement in 1870 [2].
The US Military was sent to support the embattled police forces and assorted militias of the states in which there was rebellion. The US Army lost 1,186 dead in 1871, while the police forces of the affected states had some 2,000 men killed and the militias 1,500. The reward was the complete destruction of the American Anarchist movement, and the self-imposed exile of any remaining influential figures.
Despite the attempted revolution of 1871, now known as the “Little Anarchy”, Jamous’ second term delivered the prosperity promised in his campaign. The average earnings of an American farmer almost doubled, while the American factory worker’s salary had almost tripled by 1873. The only other thing that could stain Jamous’ record was thus the Austro-Prussian War, which had resolved itself in the United States’ favor the year before.
In October 1869, Prussian forces decimated the Austrian Grand Army at Hradec Kralove. In order to safeguard Vienna from the Prussian advance, the Habsburgs were forced to withdraw all but one of their armies from Bavaria, which enabled Ludwig the Second’s army to recapture territory occupied by Austria, and ambush the Austrian 6th Army at Niederbayen.
The Prussians were stopped a mere 12 miles from Vienna, and much of the following year was spent in fixed positions, with offensives being launched to the north and south of the Prussian positions. The fighting devastated the areas of Bohemia, Moravia and Slovakia as both sides used a scorched earth tactic. In November 1870, Austria was finally forced to sign a peace when a Prussian breakthrough at Vienna and a Bavarian attack into Austrian territory forced the Habsburgs hand.

vienna.jpg

4. A painting of Prussian troops advancing toward Vienna in November 1870.​

In two separate peace treaties, Austria was first forced to cede Schleswig-Holstein to Prussia, and then accept the sovereignty of Bavaria. A secret clause in the Treaty of Vienna, between Prussia and Austria, also forced the Habsburgs to accept Prussian dominance in Southern Germany. The war had devastated Bavaria, and ruined Austria’s credibility, but left Prussia stronger than ever. On July 15th 1871, Bismarck used that newfound strength to get Prussia’s allies to form the North German Confederation, cementing Prussian control of northern Germany with the formation of a federal state ruled by Prussia.

[1] – The election of 1869 is called “the conception of advertising” due to the unprecedented amount of advertisement involved.

[2] – All but two of the men in the picture would be killed in 1871.

---------------------------

Exceptional Situation(s):

It’s Primary Time.

Parties are: New Democrat, Libertarian, and Republican.

The Edmond’s Compromise, having too small a support to opposition ratio will not go to a vote.

Last edited:
Hello, I am Christopher Bryan, and I am running (Again) for the Libretarian candidacy. My Policies remain similar to the last election, but I'll get a revised version written up by this afternoon.

I shall now take this opportunity to announce my official resignation from politics once the next President is sworn in. I shall remain on to perform my duties as president, but once my term is over I shall return to my former position as president of Jamous-Khur Works.

((Once the election is over, Jamous shall be retired and my new character made))

I shall now take this opportunity to announce my official resignation from politics once the next President is sworn in. I shall remain on to perform my duties as president, but once my term is over I shall return to my former position as president of Jamous-Khur Works.

((Once the election is over, Jamous shall be retired and my new character made))

Good luck in all your future endeavours Jamous. You have served our nation well.

I salute you Mr. President, may you be blessed and successful in all you do.

I have decided it is now or never, and thus I am announcing my candidacy for President of the United States on the Republican ticket. I have served this nation my entire life as a soldier, and now wish to do so as a civilian. I am no politician, and will govern this nation with a no-nonsense, problem-solving approach. I will publish my platform within the next day. Lastly, I would like to thank President Jamous for his service to our nation and wish him well in his future endeavors.

In Service,
General Maximilian Mandrake
Commander, United States Army

I Thomas Howard announce my intention to run in the primary elections for the New Democrats. My platform shall soon be published.

Thomas Howard
Senator of Massachusetts and CEO Howard Industries
Defender of Equality and the freedom of choice

I pledge my early support for General Maximilian Mandrake in the Republican primary.

I salute President Jamous, on the grand success of his Presidency. Sir, by all measures and tests you have left the country in a greater condition then when you inherited it. Through application of New Democrat principles and skill the nation of the United States of America has risen and strengthened itself after the calamities of the 1860s. Thank you sir, it was a pleasure and an honour to serve in your administration for the four short years I was your vice president.

But on to the future! We as a nation have a choice to be made. Do we turn our back on success and follow the path determined by laissez faire dog eat dog anarchists, or that determined by the brutal hand of Vinogradist oppression and trade union force? No! America now needs to follow the path of Jamous and continue New Democratic leadership.
And I, Edward Wilkinson, believe I can continue America on this path and so I announce my intention to be the nominee of the New Democratic Party.

Under my stewardship American focus will be on ensuring that criminals and agents of terror such as the "Little Anarchists" cannot organise to a level that would see them beget violence on the public, I will work to reform and improve tax codes so that the government is able to take less of your hard earned money, while still paying for subsidies for industries that need government assistance. A Wilkinson presidency will focus on ensuring that American business is the most efficient, most productive and especially the most transparent in the world. There will be no crony capitalism on my watch.

American foreign policy will follow the success of my predecessors, I despise war and will take all steps to avoid it. Our friends can look to our support in faith, finance and fellowship but know that American soldiers will not be sent to steal a piece of land from one monarch to give another. The USME will continue to be invested in, and the naval shall be completely modernised, however there will be few additions made to the size of the standing army currently employed.

With the focus on modernising our commerce laws and practices we will also focus and improving our education and the skills of our workers. Focus will be used to increase the number of factory workers in our states to try and achieve a minimum 30% of the population as craftsmen, this will be a long program but I believe that the fruits of this endeavour will be worth it. The American factory worker pay grew 50% faster than his farmer, or miner counterpart and getting more into this line of work and combined with lower taxes under a Wilkinson regime and the prosperity of the average American family will have never been higher under a Wilkinson presidency.

My fellow Americans, please vote to continue on the path of our esteemed president Jamous, vote Edward Wilkinson for President!

OOC: I am tempted to vote for you alone on the effort you put into your post.

(Not Quite Sure: Jonathan Fallon
Governor of Rhode Island, grew up in providence son of a wealthy but abusive businessman. He was instructed with a strong sense of honor and national pride from a early age and became feverously patriotic about his country. in 1847 at the age of 18 he enlisted in the United States military. He fought and earned distinction during the Mexican-American war. He left upon hearing of his father's death and went back to his home to inherit his fortune and his father's business. What investors beleived to be a pushover, was not. His rough upbrining and his time in the Army had honed his intelligence and ability to think under pressure, he excelled at his father's business and almost doubled the value of the company within one decade. By the time the civil war broke out he sold his assets and created an ammunition manufacturing company, and supplied the union army. He was detested that any state thought it had the right to break away from the greater union of the United States, and devoted his wealth towards assisiting the union in any way he could. His efforts made him well known in his state and he ran for congress winning by a large margin, then he ran again for governor, winning a closer race. Now he wishes to reform his party and create a truly nationalist faction that had the best interests of America and her government, at heart.
OOC: I am making him reactionary, but he is for several of Jamesons policies. Not sure what party to go for here.