• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Glad to see that you are continuing to make strong progress in all theatres in the face of equally strong opposition. It's only a matter of time now before victory is finally realised. Well, victory over Germany anyway, the prospect of possible future warfare against your current 'allies' remains a promising one.

Nice reading as usual. Seems like most countries have significant problems to fill up their divisions. My/our games never seem to reach that point. Interesting to see that aspect really affecting the battles.

the only country which doesn't seem to have a shortage is Japan, the UK has masses of manpower but no IC to generate replacements. Not sure if this is typical of late war SF games, but it feels right that all the main powers are as much affected by manpower shortages as any concerns at industrial capacity and materials

I finally caught up with this after a long read and this is most excellent, sir! :)

I'd love to play as the Soviets sometime, but there are so many units to control that it intimidates me, haha.

I really am impressed that anyone now can make their way through 61 pages, as I've confessed a few times I never envisaged it being this long, but its short compared to a few of the HOI2 ones.

There is no easy way with the USSR, you just have to spend the time sorting the OOB out constantly. My trick was to do a clean up every game week, where I'd not worry too much about corps assignments but ensure that each Army controlled a logical sector and make sure that everything in that sector was tied to that army, then about once a (game) month do a real clean up at corps level too. The advantage (plus notes on scraps of paper) was I could identify a division by army designation and sort of remember what I was doing with it.

I find the AI control is ok when things are going well or broadly on the offensive, but you can only manage a major retreat at Army Group/Theatre level and thats too hands off for my tastes.

Nice update! Good to see that the Patriotic War is going so well for you... looks like you might have a chance to gobble up those units pushing into Greece?

aye, they are mine for the taking, it does actually take a while to complete their destruction but I was pretty relaxed at that - to me, Zagreb and Belgrade where what mattered and any German unit pushing south into Epirus was going the wrong direction.

Units with 60 experience? I sometimes wish we could merge depleted units as in the Total War series, to maintain their experience levels. Still, reinforcing a half depleted unit @ 60% XP with 30% XP trained recruits will result in a 45% XP division - not bad at all.

One more puppet for Rodina Mat. Many more to come hopefully!

Hungary (next post) is the last puppet, the rest go GIE and then Germany's surrender shakes a few of them lose and they surrender (in SF, the end of war sequence isn't particularly neat so best to just make up a narrative as it goes on).

I do have some formations with quite awesome experience levels and even after (post-August) I start rebuilding the strength of the main combat formations they remain in the high 40s/50s.

Bulgaria's out (and they switched sides in mid-stream? How historical)! Nice to gain their divisions - that could be as much as a month's worth of manpower. Did you ever have the temptation to use them as your penal battalions, or are they too obsolote/inexperienced/undermanned that it's not even worth trying?

Impressive use of the word 'peregrinations', by the way. :) I had to look it up to make sure I had the right meaning in mind.

The two (if you exclude Finland that I pushed into the axis with my invasion) that flip are the two that made the most difference in reality (the exception is Rumania but by the time they went GIE there was almost no army left).

I do ok with the 'allied objectives' order, so the Bulgarians do help out in the southern Balkans and the Hungarians do sort of go to W Hungary, but I don't really need their ground units - the airforce (Hungary had 6 TACs) was much more useful.

It looks like Yugoslavia is in Civil war...nice! :D

it does rather ... and when they go GIE (May or early June), it gets even more complex.

Solid if unspectacular progress to the south. The problem facing the Axis is your formations further north - they want to be careful you don't pocket the whole southern Balkans, given your front line is already northwest of Belgrade.

Aye, in the south, I want to contain them and if possible push them out of Yugoslavia, but the fate of that sector hinges on events around Zagreb. Once cut off from land communication, they can supply via Tirana, but its limited and my subs have a field day feasting on the convoys.

Glad to see that you are continuing to make strong progress in all theatres in the face of equally strong opposition. It's only a matter of time now before victory is finally realised. Well, victory over Germany anyway, the prospect of possible future warfare against your current 'allies' remains a promising one.

well I do try to avoid WW3, or even a war with the US ... but I need to run the axis forces down and that has the affect of ... ahem ... upsetting the US ... not actually seen if I can pull it off yet.

"But most like Chaos": The Hungarian campaign - April 1944

The fighting in Hungary split into two separate campaigns in April 1944. Separate in terms of both geography and the nature of the combat. In central Hungary, Soviet armour manouvered almost unhindered inflicting heavy losses on the disrupted and demoralised axis forces. In eastern Hungary, the campaign was characterised by viciously fought rearguard actions and German counterattacks to hold open key retreat routes as 4 and 23 Armies sought to force the Carpathian passes and pocket the axis units falling back towards Belgrade.

The relative casualty rates put this distinction into context. In central Hungary, Soviet casualties were 6,659, the Germans lost 12,137, their allies 8,797 and a further 6,645 prisoners were taken in in encirclement battles. In east Hungary, Soviet losses were 17,464, the Germans lost 26,208, their allies 3,823 and 11,532 prisoners were taken.

With the fall of Budapest, 2 Tank Army and 26 Army spread out, taking vital towns such as Debrecen with almost no fighting on 10 April. Where the Germans tried to make a stand, such as Nove Zamky from 10-14 April, they took heavy losses for little gain.

(elements of 26 Army in action south of Budapest)

Equally their brief counterattack at Bekecsaba and Szeged in mid-April gained them little but high casualties.

(Katyusha battery in support of 2 Tank Army's operations)

With their front disrupted and the VVS dominant in the air, it was the first time the Wehrmacht had come close to complete defeat in the course of the war.

As with Bulgaria, the Hungarian regime opened talks even before surrender became inevitable. The informal 'national unity' government that had been set up at Kosice in late 1943 was a government in waiting but if the regime surrendered some 14 divisions (1 equipped with light tanks) and 5 squadrons equipped with German supplied Do-17 medium bombers would be added to the Red Army. The fall of Pecs on 22 April was the final catalyst and at midnight, the Hungarian army turned its guns on its previous allies.

By the end of April, 2 Tank had long outrun any infantry support but was pushing to the south of Balaton and had entered northern Croatia.

(26 Army pushing over the River Sava into northern Yugoslavia)

In the meantime the Carpathian campaign had unfolded in a very different way.

At the start of the month, German attacks at Iasi and Suceava allowed most of their forces falling back from the Dniestr to slip out of encirclement although a small force had been overrun at Botosani.

They even briefly stabilised their front with their victory at Vatra Donei but were forced to abandon these gains as 9 Army took Brasov and turned their position to the south.

With this the small junction at Toplita became key to both sides as the bulk of the German forces were falling back to Belgrade as 2 Tank Army overran central Hungary.

By the time the town was in Soviet hands on 29 April, their desparate defense had been enough to allow 15-20 divisions to slip away and to reinforce the Belgrade defense lines.

(IS-2s attached to 5 Army in the woods of the lower Carpathians)

The final acts of the Carpathian campaign saw the elimination of the few trapped axis formations at Ilta and Oradea.

However, despite being battered and having been desparately trying to evade encirclement for a month, the Germans now tried to construct what became known as the Belgrade defense position. Anchored on the rivers to the south and north and the mountains to the east, this was OKH's last chance to stem the Soviet offensive in the south.

They were to have a temporary respite as the rifle divisions of 26, 23, and 5 Armies were scattered across northern and eastern Hungary.

(Soviet supply convoys trying to keep up with the spearheads in Central Hungary)

Trying desparately to keep up with the Tank Divisions or caught up on reducing small bastions of resistance, it was not till 9-10 May that the battle of Belgrade opened.

(As part of the battle for Belgrade, Soviet river squadrons were deployed to the Danube from their original base on the Dniestr)

Equally some rifle divisions were allocated to 18 Army to bring the situation in Greece under control. However, the decision to strip 8 Mechanized Corp from 3 Tank Army and dispatch it to the Far East is perhaps the clearest statement of Stavka's optimism as to the progress of the Balkan Campaign and the growing hold that the Japanese threat had on Soviet military planning.

By early June, the independent 18 Mechanized Corp and the balance of 3 Tank Army were all entrained towards Vladivostock and the Trans-Baikal sector respectively.

(The Beograd sector, as the last Axis units slip out of Eastern Hungary)

Looks like Hungary did rather well in the Great Patriotic War, as far as territorial expansion is concerned. Methinks there might have to be a post-war border adjustment or two, or Romania is going to be rather unhappy... Does that blob of green in your lines cause any supply issues? Enough to offset the gains from the Hungarian divisions and air force?

Those Katushya batteries might have more success if they weren't blowing themselves up! No wonder you're having reinforcement issues! :p

Also, the supply convoys might have better success if they had drivers...

That Katyusha does look like it has been hit in the cabin, doesn't it? I hope the comrade soldiers from 26th Army don't move around much in that boat - it looks rather dangerously full!

Too bad the rest will go GIE. Still, collaboration governments will do the trick.

However, despite being battered and having been desparately trying to evade encirclement for a month, the Germans now tried to construct what became known as the Belgrade defense position.

The "Belgrade defense position" has a wonderfully Soviet-era utilitarian ring to it. I'm currently trying to decide if the soldiers dispatched to the Far East would welcome the break from fighting or dread the fact that they're exchanging an almost-finished conflict for a fairly fresh one.

I love the picture of the IS-2 amongst the trees. It looks incongruously peaceful.

Finally, you're at the gates of Vienna. The writing's on the wall for the Reich now.

(26 Army pushing over the River Sava into northern Yugoslavia)

Those soldiers are wasting resources! At least four more would fit on the bow of that boat! And an anti-tank dog!

With Hungary changing sides promptly, will the post-war border adjustments let them keep Transylvania? The Romanian government has after all tried to carry on the fight.

And if the Japanese haven't got other problems like a naval war with the USA, now there's a whole tank army and an independent mechanised corps heading their way. I think their anti-tank weaponry might be just a little inadequate for that particular problem.

Looks like Hungary did rather well in the Great Patriotic War, as far as territorial expansion is concerned. Methinks there might have to be a post-war border adjustment or two, or Romania is going to be rather unhappy... Does that blob of green in your lines cause any supply issues? Enough to offset the gains from the Hungarian divisions and air force?

Fortunately it caused no supply problems ... not even as it used to HOi2 of a couple of days interruption. Well if Rumania loses out in the new Europe to Hungary & Bulgaria it really only has itself to blame. The big gain was those TAC bombers, it allowed me to pull out one of the VVS formations, which, as in the next post, was rather well timed given an opportunity that arose.

Those Katushya batteries might have more success if they weren't blowing themselves up! No wonder you're having reinforcement issues! :p

Also, the supply convoys might have better success if they had drivers...

hah, everyones the critic already ... From the site where I got the picture it just fired off a salvo, that its mobile is a tribute to Soviet engineering (it ain't pretty but it works). Always worth remembering in some ways just how pragmatic the Soviets were. The Americans spent billions of dollars developing a pen that would work in zero gravity, the Soviets told their cosmonauts to write in pencil.

That Katyusha does look like it has been hit in the cabin, doesn't it? I hope the comrade soldiers from 26th Army don't move around much in that boat - it looks rather dangerously full!

Too bad the rest will go GIE. Still, collaboration governments will do the trick.

The katyusha image is from the Battle of Berlin so its quite plausible the truck has been through quite a lot.

Actually, I've just remembered I do get one more, very valuable, puppet before I'm finished with the axis powers

It should be easy to knock Yugoslavia and Slovakia out of the war now.

Yugoslavia yes, Slovakia is a nightmare. Bratislava is fortified and till I can breach the fort line in the hills on the eastern border, I have to attack (at least in part) over a river. It holds out for quite a while till I work my way around to the west as part of the fall out from Bagration.

The "Belgrade defense position" has a wonderfully Soviet-era utilitarian ring to it. I'm currently trying to decide if the soldiers dispatched to the Far East would welcome the break from fighting or dread the fact that they're exchanging an almost-finished conflict for a fairly fresh one.

I love the picture of the IS-2 amongst the trees. It looks incongruously peaceful.

Finally, you're at the gates of Vienna. The writing's on the wall for the Reich now.

I'd imagine the Soviet tankers are pretty relaxed, no more dealing with 75/88mm AT guns, Tank Destroyers or infantry with Panzerfausts and instead they can tangle with an army that has, at best, 37/45mm AT guns and no experience of armoured warfare. Less jolly of course for the riflemen.

I rather liked that IS-2 image, as you say it looks so peaceful and out of character.

Those soldiers are wasting resources! At least four more would fit on the bow of that boat! And an anti-tank dog!

With Hungary changing sides promptly, will the post-war border adjustments let them keep Transylvania? The Romanian government has after all tried to carry on the fight.

And if the Japanese haven't got other problems like a naval war with the USA, now there's a whole tank army and an independent mechanised corps heading their way. I think their anti-tank weaponry might be just a little inadequate for that particular problem.

hah, one of you thinks they've overloaded and another that there is space for another rifle squad.

In general the end of war sequence wasn't SF's strong point, but yes I think the borders work out that way, I'll have a look at the way things work out later.

When we come to it, August Storm plays out rather close to history ... not least I set up the main offensive from the Trans-Baikal front as that is 2-3 weeks less transfer time.

"When something Broke": The Baltic Campaign, March-May 1944

By the start of March, the 110,000 Axis troops in the Memel-Liepaja pocket had seen their land connection to the Reich severed, their sea links broken by Kuznetsov's victories and the ever present threat of Soviet submarines and had already been split into two.

With no choice, they set about the grim task of preparing their defense lines and, perhaps, hoping that the Soviet forces would focus on goals further to the west. By the 7 March, their entire pocket was ablaze as Soviet artillery, often firing over open sites, sought to blow apart their hastily improvised defensive positions. With no hope of evacuation, the final battles saw vicious fighting but 8 and 28 Armies kept up their relentless pressure. By 15 March, Memel fell,

(Soviet forces celebrate the fall of Memel)

by the 21st the small town of Silute was in Soviet hands. Leipaja held out the longest, but by 25 March, IS-2s of 28 Army occupied the town centre and riflemen were clearing the last small elements of resistance in the docks.

(IS-2s in central Leipaja)

In the final cataclysmic destruction of Army Group North, some 14,354 German soldiers had been killed and 100.869 marched in captivity. Soviet losses amounted to 7.063.

To the west, 13 army continued to make small gains around Danzig. Wabrzezno was taken on 18 March and a fierce counterattack spearheaded by 6 Panzer was fended off by the 26th. However, with the spring muds, and the continuing resistance at Memel, the Soviet supply lines fell apart.

(street fighting near Brodnica)

At Brodnica 5 army suspended its attacks on 4 April and the Germans came close to a major victory at Sieradz.

In the end, fresh forces were raced into the sector and the important road and rail junction was held by 15 April.

With this, Stavka ordered both Bielorussian Fronts over to the defense. The Germans took advantage of the lull, hurling 6 and 7 Panzer at the Soviet lines around Wloclawek, Bydgoszcz and Sieradz. Runnning into well entrenched Soviet defensive positions all they achieved was to suffer heavy losses for no gain.

With that, both sides settled into an uneasy peace, May saw some limited fighting in the Krakow sector as Stavka looked to make small gains that would give the rifle divisions an advantage at the start of Bagration. The only meaningful land battle was the German attempt to reduce a Soviet salient at Namyslow from 5 to 12 May. As with their April offensive this was beaten off with limited Soviet casualties.

(Soviet offensive in the Krakow-Breslau sector)

In the meantime, Stalin had decided to resolve the Polish question in his favour. Without consultation with the British, the People's Republic of Poland was declared the legitimate government on 1 May 1944. It agreed to the return of western Ukraine and Bielorussia to the USSR and accepted promises of compensation 'to the west' once the Germans were defeated. In reality, across much of Poland the change of political regime had no immediate impact. The front line snaked from Danzig to Krakow and behind this, for up to 50 kms, lay a zone of active Soviet military operations.

Equally, attention was briefly focussed on the dramatic destruction of the Bismarck. KPD members working in the docks informed the KPD that the battleship, together with the Dresden was refitting. Late on 5 May, screened by Yak-9s, the Il-4s of the Baltic Fleet struck the docks.

(Il-4 preparing for the raid on Kolberg)

Drawing in the only unit of Tu-2s not in action in the Balkans, Soviet bombers returned day and night.

A final raid on 12 May confirmed smuggled reports from dockyard workers – the Bismarck had been destroyed.

To Stavka, this opportunistic raid confirmed Soviet optimism that the end of the war in Europe was in sight. Together with the easy defensive victories of April and May the various Army, Front and Theatre commands were lulled into a false sense of security. It appeared as if the Germans were no longer capable of sustained offensive operation and the only task was to prepare for the offensive that would take the Red Army to Berlin and beyond. This optimism was brutally shattered in the early hours of 1 June.

Evidently, something wicked comes your way. Oh well, can't hold you back for long, I'm sure. And after that, the Germans will have weakened their defenses, making your progress even easier. :)

Nice job destroying the Bismarck. Sunk at its moorings by aircraft... A bit of an ignomious end, isn't it? Granted, the same happened to Tirpitz, but at least Tirpitz was sunk in Norway - not while it was cowering in a German dock.

Streetfighting in Brodnica looks like a relaxed affair. More sightseeing with guns than epic hand-to-hand combat?

Streetfighting in Brodnica looks like a relaxed affair. More sightseeing with guns than epic hand-to-hand combat?

Looking at the picture I don't think they are quite the A-team, the second one in looks suspiciously portly ... I suspect a group of clerks sent to do something useful while the assault units did the real fighting?

You are still losing too much MP. IMO you should try to attack with overwhelming force, preferably from many directions at once, so that the enemy won't be able to focus his firepower on selected divisions so easily.

An ominous end to the update, but this isn't 1941 and I have little doubt you'll weather the storm, although the Germans are still more than capable of giving you a rough ride.

I'm intrigued to see how things go when you get to South America. For the entirety of this AAR you've been up against superior forces (and a few Axis allies), but across the Atlantic you'll be the one with the tech and experience advantages.

I take your point about the tankers heading east. They're probably not even going to see an opposing tank, but if they do it won't be able to put up much resistance against battle-tested heavies like the IS-2. Is Northern China good tank country though? I suppose the steppe is still suitable for manoeuvre warfare.

Looking at the picture I don't think they are quite the A-team, the second one in looks suspiciously portly ... I suspect a group of clerks sent to do something useful while the assault units did the real fighting?

Haha. A good laugh there :)

Great stuff as usual!

hah, everyones the critic already ... From the site where I got the picture it just fired off a salvo, that its mobile is a tribute to Soviet engineering (it ain't pretty but it works). Always worth remembering in some ways just how pragmatic the Soviets were. The Americans spent billions of dollars developing a pen that would work in zero gravity, the Soviets told their cosmonauts to write in pencil.

I'm afraid that's mostly an urban myth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Pen

It is looking quite bad for the Germans troops. Not even the option of surrendering to the UK/US in this timeline. I expect lots of "re-education" is going on behind the lines now, with even more to come.

If I was feeling charitable I would say that they are looking portly as they are wearing plenty of layers against the cold.

Not sure the A-team would have lasted long on the eastern front anyway. Most Commissars would not take kindly to being called a "Crazy fool".