• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The safe option if you're going for a pocket would suggest hitting the coast around Tilsit and clearing the axis forces north from there. The bolder one would be to aim for the coast around Elbing, perhaps with (parts of) 1st Tank, and try to take in all the remaining units. Not that you can't try both and see what happens. It doesn't look as if there are sufficient forces to stop both attacks, or to do enough damage to compensate if one works.

Pocket the Axis units! Onwards Red Guards!

indeed ... I think I take out about 10% of the Wehrmacht at the end of these battles - now they gain by the shortening of the front but its a huge cull

I haven't yet seen a campaign in South America, so that'll be interesting to follow, when that comes around. :)

For now, German resistance in the Baltic and Poland is looking increasingly desparate (and ineffective). Almost all German units seem to be low on manpower and their sacrifice seems to do little more than slowing you down.

I do hope for a huge pocket of battered Wehrmacht divisions, followed by a leisurely tank romp through Poland towards Berlin. But I guess that, even if you succeed in pocketing these Germans, you still have those stubborn holdsouts in the Carpathian mountains to contend with...

Main problem the Germans now have on this sector is lack of room, they are just about slipping out of encirclements but having to fight there way through their exit provinces (which is why the battles take an age as Axis units keep on turning up), what they can't find is a quiet spot to regain organisation. The end result is a lot of one sided battles were the loss ratio for the numbers notionally involved really favours me as a lot of their units can no longer manage sustained combat.

Latin America presented all sorts of problems. Mostly how to project power onto the main regions (the north was relatively easy but is also easy to seal off due to the low infra provinces there). Its a bit wierd, in my V2 game, I'm gleefully building high grade railroads in provinces that are (rightly) blocked in HOI.

Wow. One good strike at Tilsit and you've pocketed a large number of troops. That would be very very grim.

To the victory machine!!! :D

for the first time, you can see the end of the war with Germany. It takes a while to finish off but after the disaster in the next post, they are on borrowed time.

The safe option if you're going for a pocket would suggest hitting the coast around Tilsit and clearing the axis forces north from there. The bolder one would be to aim for the coast around Elbing, perhaps with (parts of) 1st Tank, and try to take in all the remaining units. Not that you can't try both and see what happens. It doesn't look as if there are sufficient forces to stop both attacks, or to do enough damage to compensate if one works.

Pretty close to the next post. In effect 1 Tank and 12 Army go west towards Lodz, 5 Army goes for Elbing leaving 13, 8 and 28 to complete & destroy the main pockets. I now have a corps (3-5 divisions) per province, plus reserves, plus the time to let damaged formations recover, its a lethal combination.

"Where Resurrections --- Be": The Conquest of East Prussia, Feb-March 1944

February saw the Baltic campaign expand as finally Stavka unleashed 2 Bielorussian Front around Warsaw. The Soviet battle plan was ambitious. To split the Memel from Koenigsburg and then to cut into the Baltic west of Koenigsburg at Ebling, the aim was to destroy all the German formations that had sought to hold the Soyuz offensive. If not yet on the operational maps, Berlin was now acknowledged as the prize.

Early February, saw a deceptive lull as Soviet forces moved up from Kaunas and reorganised. 28 and 8 Armies were to destroy the axis forces at Memel, 13 Army to take Koenigsburg and 5, 12 and 1 Tank Armies were tasked with a drive towards Danzig.

As the fronts reorganised, the Germans struck back at Warsaw in a fierce localised counterattack. By 6 February, they broke off having done little to delay or deflect the coming storm.

Almost as soon as the Germans fell back to their starting positions, 2 Bielorussian Front went over to the offensive. Radom fell after 5 days fighting on 12 February, Lodz on the 11th

(Soviet tanks entering Lvov)

as the German lines buckled.

(once 1 Tank Army broke out around Lvov, it became clear to both sides that the war had been decided - the only question now was when it would end)

However, from the 16th to the 24th, briefly they stemmed the offensive. 19 Panzer and 9 Heavy Armour retook Opoczno on the 20th but that proved to be an isolated success. 10 Heavy Armour failed to hold Plock as the Soviets forced the lower Vistula on the 27th, the Tigers of 9 Heavy Armour were overwhelmed at Klobuck as the Soviets widened their offensive north and south of Lvov.

As the German front disolved, the fighting became more and more one-sided. Tarnowskie Gory and Rypin had fallen by the end of the month with under 500 Soviet dead for almost 4,000 Axis soldiers.

In the meantime the Memel sector saw a continuation of the slow intense fighting that had characterised the Baltic battles. 8 Army wrestled Tilsit from the Germans on 17 February and with it split the Memel group from any land connection to the Reich. The German counterattack was inevitable and fierce as units at Koenigsburg tried to break in and those at Memel tried to break out. After 19 days of carnage, they admitted defeat on 7 March.

By then it was too late, 8 Army had seized Memel on 5 March leaving 28 Army the job of destroying the remaining axis forces clustered around Leipaja.

It was at Koenigsberg that the Germans met their greatest defeat of this phase of the war. 13 Army moved directly on the city and 5 Army pushed in their southern flank. By 17 February, backed by Sturmoviks and TU-2s, 13 Army opened the battle for the city at the same time as it reached around to the peninsula to the west. By 26 February, the city was completely surrounded and some 44,000 Axis troops had surrendered at Rauschen.

By 4 March, the Soviet artillery overlooking the now ruined city fell silent. Across two major offensives, Soviet losses amounted to just short of 1,100, the Germans lost almost 6,000.

(Soviet troops entering Koenigsburg)

In effect, their divisions had been so battered in the battles earlier in the campaign that they were no longer capable of organised resistance. To hammer home the scale of the victory, another 132,000 Axis troops marched into captivity.

Stavka still had the final prize of the Soyuz offensive to claim, the 120,000 German soliders now grimly holding out at Leipaja.

In the meantime the RKKH had played a full part in these victories. The submarines of the Baltic Fleet cut axis seaborne supply to near zero,

(Soviet submarine leaving Kronstadt)

destroying convoys at will.

(axis convoy after a submarine attack off Memel)

Kuznetsov's main battle fleet engaged the Bismarck off the Gulf of Finland on 18-19 February

(The Marat at dock in Kronstadt)

(The newly repaired Kaganovich)

and in a hard fought encounter ensured that there would be no mass naval evacuation of the trapped German divisions.

Just to complete the list of battle honours, the Il-4s of the Fleet Aviation bombed and destroyed the Admiral Hipper that had been forced to repair in Leipaja after an earlier engagement with Kuznetsov's forces.

(Il-4 in action over the Baltic)

The casualty rates reflected both the intensity of the fighting and the scale of the victory. The Soviets lost 37,508, the Germans 59,786, their allies a further 5,373. To this was added 175,276 prisoners – some 35 divisions had been removed from the Axis OOB. Once Leipaja fell, the road to the Reich lay open.

With these victories, Stavka ordered 8 Army to redeploy to the Krakow sector further building up Soviet strength on the Upper Vistula and Oder regions. Once Leipaja fell, 28 Army was stripped of its SU-100s and IS-2s and was sent to reinforce the Vladivostock region. Slowly the Red Army was re-organising not just to knock out the European Axis powers but to wage war on a truely global scale.

Yeah, they cannot even hope for a stalemate now. They have no chance of regaining the initiative. I'm not even sure whether the human player would be able to do that.

I'd agree - I think the last chance that a human player would have taken would have to give up Memel et al and build a huge defensive block anchored on Koenigsburg, the shortening of the front would have allowed a very strong front and a mobile reserve. At the least it would have slowed any gains to a crawl. As it is, I now can operate on this sector to my own timescale, clearing up the Balkans first and then storming to Berlin (well with the exception of one brief but very nasty German offensive around Danzig).

Good work! That must be one of the bigger pockets of the entire campaign, and it comes at a time when the Axis needs every man they can get. Also good to see the Baltic fleet earning their pay.

The fact you can spare troops to reinforce the Siberian front tells us just about everything we need to know about the prospects for victory in Europe. If I were the UK I'd be moving heaven and earth to ensure that I liberated the home islands before the red tide got there.

Victory in sight! The Germans must pay for the crimes committed against the Motherland!

How will the elimination of Germany and the Balkan countries from the Axis impact your man power situation? Will you disband excess units and consolidate the RKKA into fewer but stronger divisions, or selectively reinforce so that you have several full strength armies to deal with the rest of the Axis, and keep the rest as unreinforced reserves on garrison duty?

You actually did worse than I expected. At this stage, I am not wondering whether you will win the war, but how much it will cost you in IC, MP and officers. ATM your losses are quite high, even though the German ones are higher. I saw several costly battles there. You should be more careful, because the Allies will be in a much better situation MP- and IC-wise than you (not to mention the fact that they probably have big navies - a luxury that you cannot enjoy). Germany will fall eventually - you just need to limit your losses to the minimum!

And damn, the communists now control my home city (Elbing) :p

That's done it for the Germans. They can't afford those losses at this point. Even with Persian reinforcements. If they'd held a corridor open long enough to withdraw through Konigsberg, they might have stabilised part of the front for a time. You'd still have been able to break through and exploit, but probably the distance of the advance would have been shorter and the casualties higher. Worse, they don't seem to have much in the way of defensible lines until you get clsoe to Berlin.

With these victories, Stavka ordered 8 Army to redeploy to the Krakow sector further building up Soviet strength on the Upper Vistula and Oder regions. Once Leipaja fell, 28 Army was stripped of its SU-100s and IS-2s and was sent to reinforce the Vladivostock region. Slowly the Red Army was re-organising not just to knock out the European Axis powers but to wage war on a truely global scale.

This might sound odd, but I'd have left the IS-2s. I know they're not needed in the far east to fight Japanese tanks, but by the same token they're likely to be much more of a force multiplier against Japanese troops with limited capability to deal with them than they are against Germans with heavy panzers. It would likely reduce your infantry casualties, which with the manpower shortage is probably a good thing.

It looks like you took a giant bite out of the german war machine. Great job.

Yet things are not done with yet. You still have a rather large problem down in the Balkans, don't you. Hungary, Romania, Greece...these all need to be 'liberated'.

Good work! That must be one of the bigger pockets of the entire campaign, and it comes at a time when the Axis needs every man they can get. Also good to see the Baltic fleet earning their pay.

The fact you can spare troops to reinforce the Siberian front tells us just about everything we need to know about the prospects for victory in Europe. If I were the UK I'd be moving heaven and earth to ensure that I liberated the home islands before the red tide got there.

In an odd way I have to get rid of some formations in that sector as otherwise I'll have major supply problems. I already have 4-5 divisions per province and often a second line too.

At this stage the Baltic Fleet did really well - I think the German carrier and another BB are recovering from the earlier battles, but it gets a bit over-optimistic later on.

And indeed ... time for the UK to sort itself out before the Red Army does it for them.

Victory in sight! The Germans must pay for the crimes committed against the Motherland!

How will the elimination of Germany and the Balkan countries from the Axis impact your man power situation? Will you disband excess units and consolidate the RKKA into fewer but stronger divisions, or selectively reinforce so that you have several full strength armies to deal with the rest of the Axis, and keep the rest as unreinforced reserves on garrison duty?

I've got some incredibly weak divisions (2-2,500) parked in reserve guarding ports etc, and a number of others I disband one brigade to create manpower. In effect any division that is much below 30 for combat experience I'm now designating as second line and using to guard ports etc (once they go over 45, I tend to upgrade to guards as and when is appropriate - I use the coming lull on the Berlin axis to catch up on this). I get some manpower from the conquests, but if I can I take a surrender over occupation and am fairly realistic in my occupation policies as my logic is a country with an historically strong Communist Party - Persia, Yugoslavia, Greece - I set to the lowest occupation. But where there would have been no natural govt in waiting (Rumania, Slovakia) I stick to military occupation.

You actually did worse than I expected. At this stage, I am not wondering whether you will win the war, but how much it will cost you in IC, MP and officers. ATM your losses are quite high, even though the German ones are higher. I saw several costly battles there. You should be more careful, because the Allies will be in a much better situation MP- and IC-wise than you (not to mention the fact that they probably have big navies - a luxury that you cannot enjoy). Germany will fall eventually - you just need to limit your losses to the minimum!

And damn, the communists now control my home city (Elbing) :p

The losses are a real worry. I'm doing all sorts to control the situation. Selective disbanding of brigades, and almost no units now just reinforce automatically. I want as much control over how I allocate my scarce manpower as I can for the moment. But I'm still stuck here and there with attritional combat, it gets better as the winter lifts and I move out of the constricted terrain, but its another reason (the other is supply delivery) that I stick quite closely to my basic model of only attacking on one of the Southern or Western Theatres at any one time.

после Берлин! Time to finish the wolf!

Yes, I got nothing usefulto say, so I'm just showing my support :)

Thank you & indeed Na западу is the slogan of the hour (for non-Russian speakers - Na Zapad - "To the West", Stalin's order of the day at the start of Bagration)

The final push! Before allies land!

No danger of that, the Germans still control the UK and the British are feeling very pleased to have conquered Yunnan and Benghazi

That's done it for the Germans. They can't afford those losses at this point. Even with Persian reinforcements. If they'd held a corridor open long enough to withdraw through Konigsberg, they might have stabilised part of the front for a time. You'd still have been able to break through and exploit, but probably the distance of the advance would have been shorter and the casualties higher. Worse, they don't seem to have much in the way of defensible lines until you get clsoe to Berlin.

This might sound odd, but I'd have left the IS-2s. I know they're not needed in the far east to fight Japanese tanks, but by the same token they're likely to be much more of a force multiplier against Japanese troops with limited capability to deal with them than they are against Germans with heavy panzers. It would likely reduce your infantry casualties, which with the manpower shortage is probably a good thing.

They have the lower Vistula, that I take as the final stage of this offensive and the Oder, but now its all good tank country from the current front lines to, and beyond, Berlin.

I did think of sending the IS-2s to Manchuria but decided that with some tough city battles to come, not least the forcing of the Oder, I wanted them more in the West. I also always fear creating a supply crisis in the Far East, but do manage to release a Tank Army to that sector before actually getting stuck into the Japanese.

Its not clear but if the IS-3 ever saw combat it was during August Storm. Given that the later models of the IS-2 could take a direct hit by an 88mm (at range), that must have been utterly terrifying for the Japanese with their 1930s style anti-tank weapons and tactics. For this, my instinct was combat hardened rifle divisions (few of the front line divisions are now below 30 in terms of combat experience, most nearer 40 - in part as I'm not reinforcing), plus being able to choose the place and dynamic of any offensive would allow me to overwhelm them in any case.

I wonder what your soldiers are thinking... :p
Is it time to go home yet?

Indeed ... the end is indeed in sight. One reason I use for not voluntarily going onto WW3 is war weariness, but we are at least 30 updates before that becomes an issue.

It looks like you took a giant bite out of the german war machine. Great job.

Yet things are not done with yet. You still have a rather large problem down in the Balkans, don't you. Hungary, Romania, Greece...these all need to be 'liberated'.

That gives me decisive advantage on the Berlin axis, I now need to gain the same dominance in the Balkans were its all much more balanced at the moment. In effect, clearing the Balkans & Hungary is the next big strategic task.

35 divisons...:eek:

Yep, its a list to savour - I think it includes 4-5 Panzer and at least 1 Heavy Armour divisions as well.

"The Credulous Decoy": The Carpathian Campaign, Jan-Feb 1944

(there is a real problem relating the Paradox map to an actual map here - the terrain is ok, its the allocation of named provinces that is odd)

A combination of heavy winter snowfalls that blocked the Carpathian passes, a desire to concentrate on the East Prussian rather than Balkan operations and mounting German resistance meant the Soviet December offensive in northern Hungary stalled in early 1944. In response, the Germans took full advantage of this lull to resume their offensives around Dorohoi and Rezina at the juncture between 23 and 4 Armies.

With hindsight, this offensive has come to be seen as little but a series of minor skirmishes but at the time Stavka documents make it clear that the possibility of a German breakthrough towards Lvov was seriously considered. Equally, the relative 'failure' of Soviet operations in the Ukraine in this period were, in some post-war memoires, contrasted unfavourably with Zhukov's successes in the Baltic region and East Prussia.

By the end of January, the Germans had siezed a set of bridgeheads over the Dniestr at Dorohoi and at Chernivtsi (where they had gained the town but failed to expand due to ongoing Soviet resistance) and had only been beaten at Rezina due to the shift of reserves from 4 Army to 23 Army. The only Soviet toehold left on the river was at Edinet.

(Soviet defensive positions around Edinet)

Dorohoi remained key to both sides plans in the sector. A Soviet counterattack retook the town on 6 February

(23 Army in action near Dorohoi)

only for it to be lost to a major German offensive again by the 11th.

With their recapture of Dorohoi they again sought to expand their bridgeheads by capturing Rezina and Edinet. Equally they were able to use their Dorohoi positions to bring more force to bear at Chernivtsi. This phase of the fighting saw mixed successes. 23 Army was able to hold Edinet and Rezina in the face of relatively weak attacks

but the Germans took Chernivtsi by the 21st and had beaten off a hasty counterattack by the 26th.

At this stage the Dorohoi salient had also been widened to the west at Berehomet giving the threat of cutting the supply lines to all the Soviet forces in N Hungary.

(Soviet counterattack around Chernivtsi)

Faced with the very real prospect of a German breakout that could cut the supply lines to the formations around Krakow, Stavka ordered 3 Tank Army to pull its 8 Mechanized Corps from reserve in Hungary and deploy to the threatened sector. However, by 26 February, it had stabilised the position around Dorohoi, driving the Germans out of Borohomet and threatening to isolate their spearheads at Chernivtsi.

(elements of 3 Tank Army waiting to be committed near Borohomet)

However, this redeployment weakened the Soviet defense of Moldava nad Bodvou which fell on 12 March.

As with Chernivtsi, this victory was to prove to be a poisoned chalice for the Germans, all it did was to extend their lines in the sector designated for 2 Tank Army to commence the Budapest offensive.

Much was made subsequently of the contrast between Soviet successes in the Soyuz Offensive and these relative defeats in the Ukraine. In reality, Stavka had simply carried on with its usual policy of only allowing one sector to be on the offensive at any one time. The Hungarian offensive in December had been stopped for various reasons including a desire to ensure that supply, fuel and reinforcements were prioritised for the East Prussian battles.

In effect, the relative German successes were to be turned into a trap once Stavka decided to authorise the three linked offensives that made up the March-June 1944 Balkan campaign. 2 Tank was unleashed on Budapest, the bold redeployments in Greece and Bulgaria and the decision to finally crush the Moldavian salient. As these manouvres developed, the Axis units probing into the Ukraine suddenly found themselves scrambling to escape encirclement.

(hidden next to the news of the fall of Moldava was this telegram - it was to have a significant impact on Soviet plans for the conduct of the war in 1944)

The Germans and their allies are hammering away at your position in Romania without really getting very far. In my opinion in the wrong place, since I think a drive through Bucharest to the Black Sea would have a chance of cutting off and destroying your forces in Bulgaria and would certainly reduce the amount of front they have to hold. That drive is just heading deeper into the Ukraine at best.

(elements of 3 Tank Army waiting to be committed near Borohomet)

T34-76 obr 1943. The "Mickey Mouse" twin turret hatches are a feature of the model. Most earlier ones had a single, larger hatch. Combat experience got that changed.

(hidden next to the news of the fall of Moldava was this telegram - it was to have a significant impact on Soviet plans for the conduct of the war in 1944)

When you cross the Rhine pursuing German remnants into France, it makes you an ally of Japan? It does give you a rather nice allied fleet.