• We will be taking the forums down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, June 4th 2024 at around 8:00 CT / 14:00 UTC for up to a couple of hours.
  • We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well done on getting so far! I'm in the middle of a game as Two Sicilies, so I appreciate how frustrating it can be to be reliant on the whims of the Great Powers to make progress.

I'd be tempted to let your infamy come back down a little before doing anything. That way you can take advantage of anything war that the Ottoman Empire gets into, whereas you can get your cores back from Austria at any time, situation permitting.

Well, it's infamy burning time!

Non-Vic II owner question: Why is it that in your Diplomatic map Austria-Hungary is in orange? I mean, I get the other colours, but not the orange...

Well done on getting so far! I'm in the middle of a game as Two Sicilies, so I appreciate how frustrating it can be to be reliant on the whims of the Great Powers to make progress.

I'd be tempted to let your infamy come back down a little before doing anything. That way you can take advantage of anything war that the Ottoman Empire gets into, whereas you can get your cores back from Austria at any time, situation permitting.

To be honest the first 10-15 years were tough. Failure against the Ottomans and my position in the world was dropping like a rock. And my literacy% and research point seems only to go by 0.01 annually despite only researching education and the likes.

Well, it's infamy burning time!

Non-Vic II owner question: Why is it that in your Diplomatic map Austria-Hungary is in orange? I mean, I get the other colours, but not the orange...

I think it's because I have a casus belli on A-H (Slavonia).

Episode Eight - Better Late Than Never (1882-1891)

Serbia had not been part of the first batch of nations to embrace the Industrialisation; first of all private investments had been slow to materialize and secondly the lack of access to raw materials had been limited until Serbia acquired her colonies. Up until the late 1860’s Serbia had ranked amongst the least industrialized civilized nations, but during the 70’s the situation greatly improved, peaking as #16 in 1880 for a few months. By 1882 Serbia’s position had stabilized as nr. 18, primarily thanks to her profitable wineries and production of high quality clothing.

104Production1882.jpg
InduRanking.jpg

Meanwhile the permanent menace to the south had been making attempts to modernize the political framework, implementing what resembled a constitution. Various sources reported of how the Sultan was increasingly worried over the empires inability to adapt to more modern ways, unable to shed the image of ‘the sick man of Europe’ as Tsar Nicolas I had depicted a few decades ago. The coming years would confirm the Sultans fears.

105OttoConst.jpg

In the far east, The United Kingdom began yet another war against China, while Japan adopted the Meiji Restoration, allowing the country to begin a fast-paced industrialization and would quickly join the country the group of secondary world powers.

106JapanWesternize.jpg

By 1883 scientists developed a vaccination against malaria, allowing colonization of still wild and unsettled areas. As Africa had already been divided by the major powers (and Bavaria had been lucky at the Congo Conference) only a few regions in Asia remained viable targets for new colonies. So a group of colonists were dispatched to the Murakeve region south of Brunei, expecting to tame the land within a few years.

107MurakeveColonization.jpg
The British would begin the colonization of the Kinabatangan shortly hereafter, resulting in Serbia and UK sharing a land border. A fact that caused concern in Belgrade in light of the repeated aggressions of the British in Asia.

The next few years were marked by a series of domestic events, as well as none less than 4 major scientific discoveries and the invention of the (very basic) military staff system.

1081883Events.jpg
1091883Discoveries.jpg
Up until 1883 the only unit fielded by Serb armies had been infantry. Now cavalry would be part of the tactical deployment, the first step towards a true combined arms doctrine

The very active Women’s Rights movement would continue to press their case again and again during the decade across most of Europe. The culmination came when in 1886 France would become the first nation to introduce the woman’s suffrage.

111WomensMov.jpg

Research was still predominantly aimed towards improvements within the army, and quickly subtypes of cavalry were developed, such as cuirassier and dragoons. The Serb army was catching up to its near rivals, both in quality but also size, now boasting 40 a max brigades (twice the size of the standing Ottoman army, although they could triple the size in case of a mass mobilization).

The navy also expanded in size, now organised into two fleets. The Asian Battle fleet of 2 Ironclads and 5 Commerce Raiders, and the Home Fleet consisting of 1 Monitor, while 6 steam transports were available for redeployment as needed.

The economical consequences of the massive increases in both army and navy were disastrous. Unable to source much of the maintenance requirements from own production, imports exploded and a solid trade deficit resulted hereof. Despite max tariffs and tax only a modest profit was made – and that during peace times. The running cost of the military was simply overwhelming and drastic reductions had to be made. Only 30 brigades would be mobilized and the fleet would part with half of its warships.

110Costs.jpg

The first half of the decade was peaceful in late spring 1886 war erupted on the North American continent as the United States initiated the 2nd war of unification against the Confederate States. Only a month later the British Empire launched a war of colonial conquest (Timbuktu) against its eternal enemy of France, dragging both the North German Federation and Spain into the conflict.

112ACW2.jpg

In late 1886, having spent app. 3 years on mapping the jungles, Serb colonists had taken possession of the Muraleve region of Borneo. Actually the island would prove extremely valuable, as it was discovered to have both precious metals as well as rich oil resources.

Encouraged by the new additions to the realm, King Milos I ordered further missions of colonization to be carried out, this time on the island of New Guinea.

114OilNewColony.jpg

Both the NGF and Spain agreed end hostilities against France in 1887, but elsewhere a new conflict flared up; the Russian Conquest of Aleppo Region. This was good news to Serbia, who still considered the Ottoman Empire as the prime enemy. However, unable to participate in the war due to the poor reputation based on recent aggressions in Asia, Serbia followed the war with great interest.

The war came to a predictable end in 1888, when the Ottomans ceded Aleppo to Russians. The Franco-British war had also come to an end the same year, resulting in British victory, taking Timbuktu. Peace was once again prevailing in Europe, but on March 3, 1889 an incident happened along the Bosnian border, that came as a blessing for Serbia.

115OEBorderInc.jpg

While the Turks were still recovering from the devastating war against the Russians, this was the best time to strike. The formal declaration of war was delivered to the Ottoman ambassador the very same day and the 2nd Serb Conquest of Bosnia was a reality.

In the years leading up to the conflict, Serbia had successfully signed alliances with Russia, Greece and the Two Sicilies, the latter a proponent of anti-Ottoman policies. Both Greece and the Italians responded positively and came to Serbia’s aid. While Greece could only field a small army, the Sicilian fleet was at par with the enemy (at least in size), whereas Serbia only had the ‘Drava’ (a monitor) available in the Med theatre of war.

116DiploMap.jpg

The Serb strategy was similar to previous wars; defend the eastern flank against the main enemy forces, while taking control of Bosnia. Initially the Bosnian campaign went well and the defending army of 4 brigades was destroyed in a string of battles at Mostar and Sarajevo. On the eastern front the enemy concentrated most of their forces in capturing Bitola, which prompted a large-scale battle that lasted for almost a month. Despite being outnumbered, the Serb forces resisted the assaults and eventually won the day.

117Bitola.jpg

Shortly hereafter the Ottoman main army once again moved against Bitola, but as two of the four Serb armies were currently engaged against in Skopje, Bitola was evacuated. This way Serb forces were allowed to recuperate and receive reinforcements, while the enemy would incur additional casualties due to attrition.

By July the situation was under control. Bosnia was being occupied, while the enemy had regrouped into to formations; the main force of 40k troops in Bitola and a second army of 28k men in Durres. The Italians had landed their own army in Albania, but rather than engaging the enemy, they began laying siege. In the south the Greeks had also begun to occupy enemy terrain, although little was expected from the Greeks.

Seeking a decisive victory, the Serb army conducted a series of manoeuvres, codenamed Operation Mousetrap, that would leave the enemy surround prior to assaulting in large numbers. The ensuing battle of Durres routed the enemy army who surrendered unable to escape.

118Pincer.jpg
Operation Mousetrap would be the first time Serb armies tried to encircle the enemy prior to attacking, which in case of victory would leave the enemy with no path of retreat and force them to surrender

At sea the combined Serb-Italian fleets had engaged the enemy in the Sea of Marmara, preventing enemy armies in Asia Minor from crossing over into Europe. The naval campaign for control of the straits lasted for four months, and the ‘Drava’ played an important role, taking almost no damage against the wooden ships of the Turks. Eventually the enemy ships were sunk, but more importantly, the enemy had been deprived the use of app 1/3 of his total number of brigades.

119BSeaMamara.jpg
Both Ottoman and Sicilian fleets were made up of frigates, relying on wind for movement and still following the doctrine of fighting in lines. The Serb monitor 'Drava' was innovative in several respects, including the first 360 degree rotating armored gun turret on an operational warship. The hull was completely underwater and was protected by an overhanging armored deck and armored "belt". Able to move at will and with her protective hull she placed a key role in the battle

In October Serbia initiated Operation Swordfish, attempting to lure the remaining Ottoman army in Bitola into attacking a small Serb force in Salonika. Quickly additional units were rushed to the area while the successful pincer manoeuvre from Durres was attempted again.

Unfortunately the trap failed as the enemy broke off from the engagement before it had been possible to complete the encirclement. However, pursuit was given and at the battle of Kavala the Serb forces did manage to position units so that the Ottoman army was unable to retreat and forced to surrender. This was the last battle fought on the European side and instead Serb forces would fan out and begin to occupy all of the enemy areas, including Istanbul.

120Salonika.jpg
The enemy managed to avoid entrapment at Salonika, only to become surronded and destroyed at Kavala

Meanwhile the Ottoman ally, Persia was planning to sneak troops to Madagascar and Borneo. A single brigade was successfully disembarked at Brunei, but was quickly attacked and destroyed in December 1889.

In proximity of Cape Sainte Marie the Asian Battle Fleet intercepted the enemy transports and turned back the would-be invaders. Pursuing the fleeing ships the two sides clashed at the strategic important straits of Hormuz. Although outnumbered 4-1 the Serb modern steam powered warships would prove very efficient against the Persian frigates. Having lost 1/3 of their vessels the Persians turned away and escaped back to port. This would be the last engagement in Asia during the war.

121Hormuz.jpg
Once again ironclad ships proved too much for wooden ships

The war would continue for months, as one province after another fell to Serbia and her allies. By August 1890 only a few provinces in Europe were holding out, while Tripoli, the Libyan coast and Crete were also being assaulted by the Serbian alliance. Amazingly the Sultan remained unwilling to concede defeat, forcing Serb and Italian armies initiate Operation Troy; crossing into Asia Minor leading to the 3rd successful encirclement of the war. General Turrisi of Naples commanded the victorious forces at the Battle of Canakkale. Although the Turks lost 18 regiments the Serb/Italian side also suffered heavy casualties in the campaign, especially from the attrition due to poor foraging as most of Anatolia was still in ruins from the last Russian invasion.

122OccupiedMap.jpg
The western part of the Ottoman Empire in the hands of the enemy. As the Sea of Marmara was blocked by Serb ships the Ottoman armies were divided and unable to effective counter the invasion

The day following the destruction of the Imperial army, August 25 1890, the Ottoman Empire sued for peace. At the Treaty of Istanbul it was decided that the province of Bosnia would be ceded to Serbia, while Moldova and Wallachia would become free of indirect Ottoman rule. The Two Sicilies had demanded the Dobruja region, but King Milos I of Serbia had been against the Italians securing a foothold in the region and had ignored their claims.

The pre-war period of heavy investments in the army had brought industrialists, scientists and the army close together. It had become clear that every aspect of society had become somewhat oriented towards the military, at the expense of other areas, such as education, culture and the navy. The upside was that Serbia would continue to make advances and the armed forces would eventually become amongst some of the best trained, equipped and led in the world.

123MilInduComplex.jpg

Only one year after the Treaty of Istanbul Serbia was about to get involved in a new war as Russian was calling upon her allies in a war of conquest.

124WarRussia.jpg

Last edited:
The World in 1892

Below maps of the world as it looked on Jan 1, 1892

Note how the United Kingdom has been busy in India and especially in China. The United States of America has finally been united, but Mexico still control large part of the western seaboard. In Europe Italy still hasn't formed and France has expanded at the expense of Spain and Belgium. The North German Federation has annexed several Dutch provinces but unable to expand much further due to a power Austria-Hungary (who in turn has been colonizing the Horn of Africa and expanding into Yemen).

WorldMap1892.jpg

The Serbian Kingdom with her African and Asian colonies.

WorldMapSerbia1892.jpg

Last edited:
I am impressed with the guesses, but you'll have to wait for the next update in a few days ;)

That last blued out part looks too big to be China, and don't you gain infamy for freeing puppets?

The cost for freeing puppets is only 0.5 infamy but 5 prestige so it was worth it. Twice. I am currently at 15 infamy, which means I'll soon be able to annex a proper state, establish yet another protectorate or go for more colonies. For me infamy always remains the main constraints in all Paradox games, although I prefer the Vic2 system war goal system to EUIII how-much-can-I-get buffet style approach

Yep theres no point guessing anything else on this one :D

So whats the big plan for war with the Austro-Hungarian hordes.

I was hoping you could answer that question. AH is getting more and more powerful, and allied with pretty much everyone. I still have another +40 years to pull of Yugoslavia so not much in a hurry. There are other options also.

Last edited:
Episode Nine – Double Dragon (1892-1899)

125WarChina.jpg

Wanting to preserve the alliance with Russia, Serbia joined Greece and Krakow in the war against China. The two Horvatovic twins would be given full command of operations. The Asian Battle Fleet, consisting of 1 ironclad, 1 monitor and 2 commerce raiders, was tasked with blocking the Chinese islands of Hainan and Taiwan and steamed northwards. Admiral Stojan Horvatovic only just arrived to establish the blockade when a Chinese fleet of 12 transports appeared at the straits of Taiwan. The encounter would see the destruction of the Chinese fleet and Serb warships would hereafter begin a blockade of Chinese ports. In the coming months the Serb navy would be fighting non-stop as Chinese fleets would try to run blockades and regroup. An estimated 35 enemy vessels were sunk during the war.

Serb colonial troops from Dai Nam and Borneo, under General Zivota Horvatovic, would later on land on the shores of the island the Portuguese referred to as the beautiful island. The Army of Johore, although outnumbered, defeated the Chinese forces on Formosa and began the occupation of the island. Meanwhile Russian forces advances deep into China sweeping the enemy armies aside with no difficulty.

126BOFormosa.jpg

Once Taiwan was under Serb control the troops now attacked Hainan. The campaign of Hainan started out well, despite being outnumbered 1-3 the Serb forces made good progress until a stray bullet ripped through general Zivota’s torso leading to his untimely death. Discouraged and chocked Serb forces waivered. Additional reinforcements were quickly shipped out from Vietnam and Formosa in order to boost Serb morale and leadership on Hainan. In the end the enemy was defeated, but only just and Hainan would soon fall.

127BOHainan.jpg

Russia were now claiming 3 while regions from the Chinese, and spurred on by the victories Serbia decided to claim a piece of China also – Formosa. During the last decades China had lost significant tracts of land to the United Kingdom. A key reason had been the Chinese resistance to embrace new modern Western ways and stuck to their old traditions. Consequently there was a significant gap in technology between Europe and China, which negated China’s primary military advantage, quantity.

128ChinaMap1892dec.jpg
Unable to resist the technologically superior Western armies, one region after another fell to the enemy​

As spring of 1893 arrived, the new Serb commander, General Radulovic, launched a new campaign against Mainland China – the Guangdong region. Several provinces fell to Serbia before a massive Chinese army descended on the Serb forces. The battle of Gauzhou would show the difference between quantity and quality – despite facing an enemy army ten times their own size Serbs forces held their ground. Despite mounting casualties the Chinese kept on sending in reinforcements hoping to simply overwhelm the Europeans.

129BOGauzhou.jpg

The battle ended prematurely as a peace agreement between the fighting sides was signed – Serbia was given Formosa, while Russia acquired 3 regions from China. The new territories would provide Serbia with much needed manpower and recruitment of new brigades began immediately.

More manpower also became available from the new colonies of New Guinea and the Salomon Isles, which would become the last additions to the kingdom through peaceful means. The USA had been very active in colonizing the Pacific and only a few of the most remote isles remained unclaimed, but to far away from the nearest Serb naval base.

The period of 1894-1897 would witness large-scale fighting as France descended upon the North German Federation, who called in her allies of United Kingdom and Netherlands. The Two Sicilies would take Asmara from Egypt while the USA would fight Mexico over Texas.

To the great surprise of Belgrade, a massive uprising of anarcho-liberals in Bosnia took place during the summer of 1897. The Home Army had no problems suppressing the rebels, but greatly upset King Milos.

130BosnianUprising1897.jpg
Unhappy under Ottoman rule, unhappy under Serb rule, Bosnia would always be unhappy​

Suspecting this would most likely not be the only time unhappy citizens would take to arms against their own king, a new organization was created. This Secret Police would report directly to the king himself and allow him to fight future uprisings much earlier than before.

131SecreTpolice.jpg

By the end of the century Serb industrials were now able to produce electrical gear and telephones, although the chemical process of cracking, and hence refining oil into fuel, still eluded scientists. The navy had upgraded ironclads to what historians would later refer to as pre-dreadnoughts, and had also developed blueprints for a new class of escorts, called cruisers. But until the replacement for steam propulsion, the internal combustion engine, had been fully researched, it was not feasible to build such impressive war machines. Unknown to all but a selected few; a special team of engineers had been formed in order to work on a vessel more powerful than anything else the world had ever seen - but this would not be before some time into the new century.

China was once again the victim of English aggression in early 1899, and only a few months later Russia started the 2nd Sino-Russian War, Serbia once again joined the Russian. Feeling confident, King Milos officially declared the Guangdong region as the war goal and invaded Hainan and the southwestern shores of China.

Standard Operating Procedure would have the Serb Asian Battle Fleet begin a systematic naval blockade of China, while Serb forces fought for control over Hong Kong, Canton, Gauzhou and Hainan. All was well as China surrendered to the United Kingdom, but Serb diplomats were alarmed when Queen Victoria suddenly managed to increase her opinion of herself in China.

133MapShot.jpg

Predictably the UK intervened on China’s side just weeks before New Year 1899. The British had played it out all too well and suddenly the Russian-led coalition, including Serbia and Two Sicilies were caught in the middle of superpower politics.

132UKinterventionbmp.jpg

Now everything was hanging in the balance; the UK had several land borders with Serbia, both on Borneo and the Malaya Peninsula, and the many UK armies in India were only weeks away. To make matters worse, Serb intelligence estimated the Royal Navy to have over 100 vessels deployed in the South China Sea, not to mention the fleets based in India. King Milos I withdrew to a hidden hideaway in the Balkan mountains with his closest aides to reflect on what to do next......

Last edited:
You could jump out the pool or retreat to Hainan and let them bring it, I don't know how the other colonial borders match up in terms of troop numbers though. Also worth considering the Russian troops will get battered so the warscore isn't going to improve much :D

Peace out at the first opportunity. Otherwise the Russians will hang you out to dry! They did before to you after all.

Oh my, this could get bloody. I'm with brycef, peace out whenever you can. Though perhaps move your troops back to Formossa first and see if the Brits will invade your colonies and if you can withstand them.