• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice! Yet another post!

All in all, the accord with Japan seems OK, rather too many secret clauses ;). Hopefully the defensive agreement will be developed into a full military alliance in a short period of time. I wonder how will the other powers react to this once the story is out.

I'm also eager to hear how the operations in Serbia continue, now that we have a firm foothold (and thousands of soldiers) in the region; they'll wish they never had attacked one of Europe's allies!

The satellite effect looks OK, have you tried it in the terrain map mode? The border's wont be that clear but I suppose it'll look quite reallistic

Also, is Mme. Chirac real or is she a figment of your imagination?

Fantastic update, you are developing a decent narrative and your descriptives are superb for an AAR.

The satellite thing looked good but as Mr Santiago said, it would work better with terrain mode.

As for the KCIA, it's called the NIS now but it's only a name change, you can probably get away with carrying on calling it the KCIA. After all you aren't following a strict timeline.

Could we possibly have another summary of what's going on elsewhere?
I'd love to have a rough idea what all your rivals are upto.

Kosovo liberated! Now, is it time to topple the Serbian regime and bring democracy?

And btw, How should I address Park and what happened to the KCIA? From what I read it was still in service ...

1. Ms. Park. Park is the surname, while Gyun-hye is the personal name.

2. It is still in service, but had name changes, because of the bad connotations that the previous names had.
(1) Korean Central Intelligence Agency (1961-1981)
(2) Agency for National Security Planning (1981-1999)
(3) National Intelligence Service (1999-)

I still think that having it be KCIA would be more interesting. We could have the TTL conservative president Lee Hoi Chang divide the intelligence agencies to fit the US model (CIA, NSA, NRO), thereby reviving the KCIA name. Given that Lee was considered someone not related to previous dictatorships, he might just have been able to pass through the name.

A "problem" with your newest post: The official name of Japan is the "State/Nation of Japan", hence why it just uses Japan in all official functions. Any uses of "Empire of Japan" will cause all those Chinese nationalists to condemn the "revival of Japanese militarism" :p

Serbia will indeed be forever changed by what is coming.

Thanks for your help!
Also, I edited out the 'Empire' of Japan in the post. Thanks again!

Great post! Hmmm. How will the Chinese react to all this?

If Europe is switching allegiance, then it can be assumed that China will as well.

Nice! Yet another post!

All in all, the accord with Japan seems OK, rather too many secret clauses ;). Hopefully the defensive agreement will be developed into a full military alliance in a short period of time. I wonder how will the other powers react to this once the story is out.

I'm also eager to hear how the operations in Serbia continue, now that we have a firm foothold (and thousands of soldiers) in the region; they'll wish they never had attacked one of Europe's allies!

The satellite effect looks OK, have you tried it in the terrain map mode? The border's wont be that clear but I suppose it'll look quite reallistic

Also, is Mme. Chirac real or is she a figment of your imagination?

Serbia will undoubtedly receive her due.

As for the satellite effect, I tested it in the terrain map mode after reading your comment and it looks a lot worse and incredibly confusing. I might play around with some of the other modes though.

If this was HOI 3 then the terrain mode would look pretty cool.

As for Mme. Chirac, as far as I know, she is a figure of my imagination that has been handed off to Jacques Chirac. Whether he has kids at all, or is married, I haven't looked in to.

Fantastic update, you are developing a decent narrative and your descriptives are superb for an AAR.

The satellite thing looked good but as Mr Santiago said, it would work better with terrain mode.

As for the KCIA, it's called the NIS now but it's only a name change, you can probably get away with carrying on calling it the KCIA. After all you aren't following a strict timeline.

Could we possibly have another summary of what's going on elsewhere?
I'd love to have a rough idea what all your rivals are upto.

Thanks! I'm always looking to improve my writing. AAR's serve a great chance to do that.

As for terrain mode, again it looked really confusing. I might try it out in weather mode or try out an overlay from Google maps on the HOI 2 thing. I'll test out a few things.

I'll probably take Sumeragi's suggestion to explain the KCIA, but as you say, this is a very different world.

As for the rest of the world, I will be bringing up a few updates concerning China and Russia in a short bit. Once Serbia has fallen, I'll look into providing an overview on the world situation.

Any guesses as to where the next flashpoint will be?

Well Chirac has two children (I thought two daughters?) but no Liliane Chirac :p. Nevertheless it is always nice those cross references ;)

Keep up the good work, I do not really care what style you use for maps, as long as you show some of them :)

Tim

Operation Asphalt Major
2nd Air Assault Brigade
00:34 Paris Time
December 6 2003

KS_Bundeswehr_BM_Po_678014g.jpg

Adam Templer was pressed up against the wall with his troops behind him, a snaking line of men armed to the teeth, huddled together for what little shelter was left in the bombed out and abandoned city of Beograde. The fires of bombs and fire fights were still lighting the city, well into the night now. It wasn't had to see anything. Even the sky itself was lit up, with anti-aircraft and tracer rounds soaring high and fast through the air as the helicopters of the First Air Assault Division had raced over the city, dropping their men in strategic locations before pulling out and then returning briefly to pick up wounded and drop off reinforcements. It had been going on for several hours now. Every now and then, a helicopter would take a hit. So far, most of the damaged ones had been from First or Third Brigade. Thankfully, they had all managed to limp back to base.

French-army-helicopter-in-005.jpg

The solemn beat of the rotor's overhead carried on as his breathing grew deeper, and harder. Around the corner hardly a foot in front of him, a technical mounted with an MG had kept their advance in check. It couldn't hold them for long. With air support diverted to provide their heaviest payloads against enemy strong points, it was going to be each group against the other. So far, the European Ground Forces had proved their superiority in every engagement. Everything had been swept aside in the European advance. Beograde was the last objective to bring down the Serbian government and ensure a total collapse of their armed forces.

intervention3.jpg

Battle of Nis - November 25 2003

intervention4.jpg

Battle of Kragujevac - November 25 2003

intervention5.jpg

Battle of Kragujevac - November 27 2003.
Note - The 2nd Air Assault Brigade is the most organised and capable fighting force in the Battle for Kragujevac, as Allied and Enemy forces become bogged down in the fighting.
Also; The Battle of Nis has ended. A brief return by Serbian forces will be driven off and smashed.

intervention6.jpg

The Battle of Kragujevac finally ended on November 30 2003.
Casualties for Enemy Forces were severe, while European soldiers also suffered numerous wounded and a number of dead.

Kragujevac had been the most troublesome no doubt. The fighting there was heavier than it was even now, in the heart of Serbia's war torn Capital. Beograde was a sealed engagement. The fact that the government insisted on fighting for the city, with the rest of their nation under occupation had earned only the ire of the European Ground and Air Forces. As hard as the Serbians fought for their Capital however, they could bring no victory from the future they had crafted.

It was only a matter of time before Beograde was brought to it's knees.

intervention8.jpg

Battle of Beograd - December 3 2003 - December ...

OOC : A more detailed update on the battle will follow later on. I need to go to work right now.

Fighting in the streets of Belgrade, yet another ill decision from the Serb leadership, they should have surrendered after the liberation of Montenegro.... The city will be a smoking ruin, with Europe's flag flying over it, thanks to them (Serbia) and their evil-empire-building; and you know that I'm completely impartial in this :p

Also, you mentioned some time ago that there were other possible conflicts in the area, like Croatia looking Slovenia with greedy eyes, if I remember correctly; what's the situation know, after Europe's display of force in the region? I don't want our lads having to take a small detour in their way home, you know

Operation Asphalt Major
2nd Air Assault Brigade
00:36 Paris Time
December 6 2003

KS_Bundeswehr_BM_Po_678014g.jpg

"To the men of the Second Air Assault Brigade, this is Lieutenant General Hans Jaeger." The gunfire around Templer ceased as the voice echoed over the comm channel of his men. Only the bullets soaring towards them from the Serbian MG could be heard above his voice, and the smattering of gunfire across the city. The General paused for a moment.

"As of this moment, the European drive into the Serbian heartland is in danger of suffering their first setback. Outside of the city, or forces continue an unimpeded advance. Within Beograde, we have found the gaping maw of visceral combat that has not been seen since the Summer War. Our forces are in danger of becoming irrevocably bogged down." He continued, his voice solemn and weary.

Colonel Templer signaled to the man next to him to prep a grenade, bringing a fist to his chest, pushing it out in front of him, and then thrusting it open. The man nodded, and pulled one off of his vest. The Colonel did so as well, and grabbed a quick peak around the corner. A burst of gunfire from the MG sent him back to his men in a flash. "It falls to you, the men of the Second Air Assault Brigade to seize the heart of the city. The First Brigade is locked in an engagement throughout the civilian sector of the city, inflicting and receiving numerous casualties. The Third Brigade is caught in the government sector, pinned down and under fire from all angles as they assault the Serbian Duma and Presidential Manor."

The man he had signaled stepped up beside him and the two men exchanged a glance.

"Covering fire!" the Colonel yelled as he stepped round the sheet metal barrier and pulled the pin from the grenade. The man he had signaled emerged a second later, throwing his grenade and then raising his rifle to fire. A third man, Corporal Maas if Templer was right, brought his rifle round the corner and opened fire on the MG. By the time the Technical was aware of the maneuver, the first grenade had detonated three feet to its left, shredding the air around it and sending the torn up tarmac through the air. By the time the Technical was firing, the covering fire was already forcing the operator to shield his head from the whizzing bullets. By then however, it was too late for the Serbian Technical. The second grenade detonated in the middle of the pick up truck, sending sparks and metal soaring into the operator.

The man fell backwards and off of the truck in the same instant, bloodied though he was. A fire and secondary explosion meanwhile tore through the ammo left in the vehicle, as stray bullets scattered into the air and scarred the offices and stores running parallel to the truck.

"The fate of the city is left to you, the Second Air Assault Brigade to seize and to craft. The economic sector that is assigned to you, is crawling with the enemy and we can only suspect that ambushes and traps lie around every corner. It is time then that we show him our resolve."

"Move up!" Colonel Templer shouted as he raised his F 2000 rifle and opened fire on an office building farther down the street. His men bounded out from cover and crossed over the technical, gunfire pouring out from their rifles at targets along the street. An expected return volley of tracer rounds flew down the street, as a flare shot up and arched over his men. "Captain Rooijakkers! Get your Company running down parallel to us! I want you to turn down Polmeticeva and follow it until you reach Dzordza Vasingtona. When you get there, follow it North-West to Buleva despota Stefana. Follow it left and then storm the Club of Writers, and the House of the Army of Serbia. I want it cleaned and fortified. Expect ambushes in the buildings lining the streets. Intel points them out as high risk." he yelled out over his headset, undoubtedly interrupting the General.

"Copy that Sir! Covering Fire!" Templer heard over breaks of gunfire. Captain Rooijakkers was undoubtedly in the heat of it.

belgradeassault.jpg

"You will strike down the Economic sector until you reach Republic Square. When you arrive, you will choke the enemy's hold on transportation and we will suffocate his capacity to move through the city. God speed, Jaeger out." the voice finally concluded.

"Captain Van Arle! Get your men moving down Palmoticevac. When you reach the Mali Princ, turn down the alley and move through the Kino Klub. I don't want anything left alive in there. Intel suggests that bombings have leveled a lot of that area. Sweep through to Halindarska and then advance heading left, pass the Pizza Hut and take up positions around the Magic Garden. I want the Dr. Zoran Plateau and that Intersection covered and clear!" He yelled while his own men continued pressing on, gunfire rattling through the streets.

From one of the high balconies along his street, Svetogorska if he had read it right, a stream of gunfire poured onto the Europeans below. He scrambled for cover as the tarmac road was tossed up around him, the angry machine gun screaming for blood.

"Yes Sir! Open Up!" he heard Captain Van Arle reply. The comm was cut before the obligatory hail of gunfire, but it was an unnecessary and thankfully absent addition to his own rifle. Colonel Templer popped up from his cover, the bullet ridden wreckage of an old Sedan that could have been blue. The light from the flare, growing dimmer now, impaired his judgement in that. He let off a few rounds before ducking back into safety.

"Major Chevrolet, go with Captain Schroeter, Captain Cornett and Captain Stoppelbein and clear out the Danube Port. You can double back to E-70 and follow it straight to the Port. I want blocking positions on the Bridge with hard points prepared at the Tempo Supermarket, the Nissan Dealer and across the Port. Nothing get's in or out. Get it done."

"Yes, sir!"

"And Chevrolet, if you get a call from Colonel Ibarra, send him Cornett. Last I heard Ibarra was having trouble with hard points in the Stadium and Novo Groblje - whatever that is. Shouldn't be too much trouble when surrounded. When you've got that done set up a casualty collection point, and relay it to me. I want a status report."

"Will do Sir. Lukas! Get that MG ready to move!" the comm cut out.

Adam popped up from cover to unleash a salvo from his F-2000. The bull-pup design shook in his hands as the rounds left the chamber. After emptying a few rounds, he popped back down and switched off his mic. "Lieutenant Aakster, let's get moving." Colonel Templer yelled.

"Frederico, set up the Gustav by that car. Get rid of that MG. Everyone else, covering fire!" He yelled as the squad bounded to their positions. Men who had traversed into the houses with broken walls along the street suddenly made their presence felt. Countless rounds flew down the street as walls and vehicles were shredded. The men outside of the houses, arrayed along the walls of the street had an equally shattering entrance. Looking down the street and in between bursts from his own rifle, Colonel Templer could see Serbian troops dropping all along the road. Their cries were mute in the gunfire, and from what he could see it looked like their comrades were already dragging them into alleyways and laying down return fire.

Frederico and Antunez slammed into the old, dark and town Volkswagen as Frederico angled the Carl Gustav recoilless rifle, and Antunez jammed the Bunkerfaust warhead into the weapon as the steady stream of gunfire lit up the street. With a forceful whoosh that shattered that last window of the Volkswagen, the rocket sprang forth towards it's target. Adam let off another burst from his rifle, dropping a man farther down in one of the tiny street side shops.

The explosion from the warhead was incredible. Usually meant for destroying bunkers and hard points, the effect of the device on the occupied house at an intersection, littered with debris from the bombing campaign, was magnificent. A brilliant orange and yellow explosion erupted, engulfing the building as a mass of black smoke and dirt erupted from the impact, quickly smothering the initial explosion. The black smoke, lined with an ever changing streak of burning red fires spread out in an instant as blocks from the house flew down the street and into the air. Shrapnel and debris rained down below as the MG went forever silent, and as parts of the building slunk forth and fell into the ground.

From farther down the street they could hear the Serbian voices screaming and shouting. Within a minute, the gunfire had died down and the street was empty.

"Clear!" shouted Adam as he stood to his feet. The building down the street was clearly now little more than a wreck. It's once pristine face had been smashed by the Bunkerfaust, and was lying like broken glass across the road.

"Men, we need to move along this road. We'll clear the Sugar Club and Digital Kraft and move on to Pizza Hut. When we get there, we'll meet up with Captain Van Arle and advance with one of his squads to take the School of Computing. After that, we've got Republic Square and the North Danube approach locked down. Hopefully that gives some breathing space to everyone else."

night_shift_hires_20090216a151931a.jpg

"We move out in two minutes. Take a breather."

Note - His instructions include enough detail that, if you are willing, you can go and follow his ordered routes on Google Maps.

Last edited:
Indeed the instructions are that detailed!

Now, the Novi Beograd area is filled with that unapealing comunist architecture, I expect it to be leveled and rebuilt in a more European fashion, hehe

Dmitri Taylor
Operation 10503
01:32 Moscow Time
December 8 2003

baghdad-bombing2.jpg

Dmitri Taylor looked out from the railing of the Intercontinental Hotel. The fires of Beograde burned in the distance. Towers and houses were leveled. Streets were reduced to a shamble of rubble and debris. Skyscrapers in the distance burned a brilliant orange colour, their flames licking the dark outlines of the towering structure. The destruction wrought by the Europeans was as brilliant as it was terrifying. He inhaled his cigarette in a deep breath, the burning tip singing as he did so. He let his head hang, his eyes falling to the floor as another burst of anti-aircraft fire rumbled in the distance. Gunshots and bombing runs blared across the city. An orchestra of destruction.

"Russia promised us her support!" Nataša Mićić complained as she looked on at her ruined Capital. "Russia promised to supply us. You promised to help us." Her throat grew tighter as she struggled to speak. Dmitri stayed silent.

"Why won't you help us!" she demanded, a tear running down her face. She stared at him as he raised his head.

"This is not our war." he whispered. The four other men in the squad by the black Mil Mi-8, clad in their black combat suits and ski masks, with Kevlar helmets and vests over top shifted uneasily. They were still waiting for Team Two.

"Not your war?" she asked. "It was you who set up the incident at the border! It was you who provoked the people! It was you who started this war, and what? To further Russian interests!" she screamed at him.

"And now, with Europe at our gates, you leave us to die. You leave Serbia, betray her because it is convenient. We will never forget this." she spat. He turned to look at her momentarily. He tossed his cigarette over the side of the building and took a step towards her. He let his AK-93 dangle at his side and unbuckled the pistol from its holster. "Serbia is not some pawn to be used in a game of chess." she went on.

"Serbia will never forgive Russia for this." she said, standing as tall as she could. Dmitri chuckled for a moment. He raised the Makarov pistol in his hand to be level with her eyes. A look of surprise momentarily struck her, before a wave of defiance washed over her.

"Russia will never ask for your forgiveness." Dmitri said. She opened her mouth to speak but was silenced by the quick of pull of a trigger. The bullet struck her in the forehead and she stumbled back, crashing into the railing of the Hotel. Her corpse twitched slightly, the leg gently bouncing up and down. It stopped after a few seconds, and her eyes, glazed in the haze of death, stared at Dmitri.

He looked at the body for a second before switching on his radio. "Nikolai, the Serbs won't cooperate. Get rid of the others. Switch to Rally Bravo."

"Yes, Sir. New ETA five minutes. We'll drop them in the Danube."

Colonel Adam Templer
Operation Asphalt Major
08:29 Paris Time
December 8 2003

surrenderofSerbia1.jpg

Colonel Templer was sitting on the steps leading up to the Continental Hotel. The building was a ruin. The windows had been shot out and the left half of the building had been decimated by an air strike. Bricks and glass were scattered across the street. A Leopard tank rumbled down the street in front of him as a small squad followed in step behind it.

He took a drink from another bottle of water before pouring the rest over his head. For the first time in a while he let himself think about home. He imagined his wife at home, watching the news. Her hair was draped around her shoulders and she held a pillow tight against her chest, wondering and fretting over where he was. The phone would be free in a short while. He couldn't wait to phone her and hear her voice again. He couldn't wait to tell her that he was fine, and lie to her again.

Him fighting? Shooting at some kid barely a man? A kid told to grab a rifle to defend the leaders who were bringing his senseless death? No. He had been miles away from the fighting. Inside Beograde? The news was wrong, he had been directing his men from Kragujevac when it happened. They both knew he was lying. But he said it to reassure her, and for her, it was better than the truth. It kept reality at bay and it kept them going. It worked.

One day he'd tell her. One day when it was over, when they had settled in their villa in the South of France. That was when they could talk about it. Until then of course, they had to deal with reality. They had to deal with the cold, hard facts of life.

"Colonel." came a voice. The man dragged him out of his train of thought. It was Lieutenant Aakster. He stood there and held his helmet at his side, his gear covered in sweat and grime, soot and dust. A bead of sweat was running down his forehead, and his breath was showing in the cold. His eyes were still the same brown as they had been but they looked somehow different. They looked like they had lost their innocence.

"Colonel, we're still putting together a final casualty count. Frederico's gone, and Antunez is on the next plane home. The medics think he'll be fine, but his career is done."

The Colonel just nodded. There was nothing to say. Nothing he could say. A burst of gunfire went off in the distance. They were the first shots in a while.

"You did well, Lieutenant." he said. All things considered, he was right. The response, did not reciprocate that sentiment.

"Frederico is dead, Sir." came the reply and the glare that followed.

"It can always be worse. More men could have died, and they didn't. You did well." He reaffirmed.

"Lieutenant General Jaeger wants to see you on Great War Island. He's flying in." he said coldly. The Lieutenant turned from the Colonel and walked away, passing on the salute. Adam let it pass. He had been like that after Somalia, back in '96.

President Horst Kohler
Cabinet Meeting on the Surrender of Serbia
09:01 Paris Time
December 8 2003

serbianunion.jpg

Flag of the Proposed Federation of Serbia, Montenegro and Kosovo.

They had been talking for quite some time already. Yelling was actually a more apt description. Once he had broken the news of his plans for Serbia and the Balkans, hell had broken loose. The rest of the Cabinet had been dismissed at that point. It was Zapatero and the President, alone in his office. The 12 starred flag of Europe, riddled with bullet holes from the Battle of Minsk still hung on the walls and looked on at the debate. The black table was tense with the air, and the leather chairs were as stiff as they had ever been.

"So you have already decided this?" Zapatero said in a rage.

"I had decided this a long time ago, and given the options it is the best outcome." Kohler repeated.

"Why would you not consult me on this? Or anyone for that matter! Hell, consult the Senate! The people! Anyone!" Zapatero yelled.

"Serbia, Montenegro and Kosovo will be reformed into a single Federation, whether you, or the Senate, or anyone disagrees! I control our Foreign Policy, and I am telling you that a Union is the only way that they can have a chance at resisting the Russian Army!" Kohler said, sweat dripping from his brow as he slammed his fist into the table.

"You talk as if a war is inevitable!" Zapatero screamed, his face red with fury.

"It's already happening!" Kohler yelled. The room went quiet as Zapatero listened to him for the first time in the night.

"What do you mean, it's already happening?" Zapatero said in a chilling voice.

"Our enemies are gathering around us you fool! The Americans, the Chinese, the Russians, the Indians. They outnumber us by an infinity and every day they work to build more soldiers, more planes, more ships. They are outproducing us and when the war comes, we will be living on the clock, a never ending countdown to the end."

"And that is why we allied with the Japanese? Why you again, went behind my back?" Zapatero asked, significantly more restrained than before.

"Not just the Japanese. What has started now will change the world. It started long before you and I held this office, and I suspect it will end long after we're gone. We are gathering everyone that we can to our banner, and they have to be as strong as they can be."

"You should have kept me informed. I could have helped." Zapatero said.

"It doesn't matter anymore. It probably never mattered. Europe is incapable of surviving what is coming. You and I both know it, and I can guarantee that our enemies do."

The two men were silent as their thoughts ran wild. Neither men could admit to looking forward to the future. The election would be harsh on them both.

Last edited:
If you can't beat your enemies, join them. And if you can't join them, well, game over :D

So, we enter in the war in defense of Montenegrin independence and now we force them to reunite with Serbia? What the hell is this?

So, we enter in the war in defense of Montenegrin independence and now we force them to reunite with Serbia? What the hell is this?

Yeah that is also my concern...you alienate the people overthere very quick by that move. Either let them choose to have full independence or some sort of union with the EU...

Tim