• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I westernized later around 1610 but i think it was a major mistake.

I am still 20 years away from a centralization (its 1620 or something like that now) click to do a military reform and as i said, i am imploding with revolts. :D

900 divisions and i barely got 100k working offensively to gain extra land.

If i didnt westernize i could still recruit maurician infantry. I annexed Sweden around 1590 and started popping maurician infantry like mad, even if at slow speed due to war exhaustion. With full narrowminded/decentralized revolts would be much easier due to lower war exhaustion.

I think this game will end in failure though - japan isnt forming and the ai is just too stupid to form japan. And i cant annex them if they dont.

EDITED: Another reason not to westernize is that Asian Mass Infantry and Asian Charge Cavalry are fairly good troops specially with good generals like the ones i have at the moment. With Najd i had plenty of troubles conquering the world with Muslim Muskeeteers, but Asian Mass Infantry properly backed up and in proper numbers are very very good.

Current game. 1629.

Last edited:
I imagine being over the infamy limit (which you must be, surely) would make it incredibly difficult to Westernise.

The only issue was regarding stability. Each stability point costed me about 60k-100k i think.

Sometimes i decided to save and reload to prevent stability hits from events.

I westernized later around 1610 but i think it was a major mistake.

I am still 20 years away from a centralization (its 1620 or something like that now) click to do a military reform and as i said, i am imploding with revolts. :D

900 divisions and i barely got 100k working offensively to gain extra land.

If i didnt westernize i could still recruit maurician infantry. I annexed Sweden around 1590 and started popping maurician infantry like mad, even if at slow speed due to war exhaustion. With full narrowminded/decentralized revolts would be much easier due to lower war exhaustion.

I think this game will end in failure though - japan isnt forming and the ai is just too stupid to form japan. And i cant annex them if they dont.

EDITED: Another reason not to westernize is that Asian Mass Infantry and Asian Charge Cavalry are fairly good troops specially with good generals like the ones i have at the moment. With Najd i had plenty of troubles conquering the world with Muslim Muskeeteers, but Asian Mass Infantry properly backed up and in proper numbers are very very good.

Current game. 1629.
*snip*

Why can't you recruit maurician infantry?? I thought you could always recruit other nations infantry as long as you have land with their core on it.

How to be successful as Navarra 101:

I became a vassal of Castille at the start of the game, spent all my massive trade income to rush to 7 trade tech for Quest for the New World, and own a massive piece of land in North America in the year 1423.

AGK8p.jpg

Now when this land cores in 50 years I can colonize all the way to Mexico in the year 1473 and then annex Mexico with all it's rich lands and move my capitol to America.

Played like this Navarra is actually one of the more powerful European countries, even though your nation only has 4,000 inhabitants. Funnily enough at the height of my crusade I had twice as many mercenaries as my nation had people, good thing mercenaries can't rebel

How to be successful as Navarra 101:

I became a vassal of Castille at the start of the game, spent all my massive trade income to rush to 7 trade tech for Quest for the New World, and own a massive piece of land in North America in the year 1423.

AGK8p.jpg

Now when this land cores in 50 years I can colonize all the way to Mexico in the year 1473 and then annex Mexico with all it's rich lands and move my capitol to America.

Played like this Navarra is actually one of the more powerful European countries, even though your nation only has 4,000 inhabitants. Funnily enough at the height of my crusade I had twice as many mercenaries as my nation had people, good thing mercenaries can't rebel

I don't know why but it looks very familiar to me :D

I do with Irish minors what you did with Navarra. Except if you grab only Yamasee, sometimes a mission fires where you can take Muskegee, Apalachee, or Pensacola and get a core on them. That way you can actually get a core in New World pre 1430. Then mint like crazy to get 1k ducats to move capital. In a game where Portugal gets cannibalized by Castille you might have 50 or 60 years of colonizing all to yourself.

Last edited:
Quite proud of this one. Work in progress. Beating land out of Castille/France. I was thinking about forming Spain but the gold colour is prettier than yellow IMHO.
EU3_54.jpg

Psh. You people just don't wanna try it with Athens so you use Navarra instead. ;D

Regardless, I've found Navarra can be more difficult in recent times as you are automatically put into your Overlord's wars. Might be because I switched to it from Austria (was playing a von Habsburg game, not an Austria game)

Why can't you recruit maurician infantry?? I thought you could always recruit other nations infantry as long as you have land with their core on it.

I didnt mean that. I meant that i could recruit maurician infantry even if i didnt westernize, so there is little to no point in westernizing during a WC.

All the centralization/innovativeness kills you with revolts, so its probably better not to westernize and get as decentralized/narrowminded as possible.

Champa 1821

0CjdU.png

I started off by immediately annexing Khmer or Sukothai (or both, I don't remember). There were a lot of revolts in the first 100 years, and the worst part of them was all the ping-ponging. All of the Asian territory is cored except Japan which I didn't think I was able to completely take at first, but then decided to in the last 50 years.

I gotta say, I loved it when I switched to the western tech group. It was like turbo tech mode just activated.

Champa 1821

0CjdU.png

I started off by immediately annexing Khmer or Sukothai (or both, I don't remember). There were a lot of revolts in the first 100 years, and the worst part of them was all the ping-ponging. All of the Asian territory is cored except Japan which I didn't think I was able to completely take at first, but then decided to in the last 50 years.

I gotta say, I loved it when I switched to the western tech group. It was like turbo tech mode just activated.
Are you happy that you disbanded the Shogunate.
How did it feel.
And Netherlands in modern day borders!

Are you happy that you disbanded the Shogunate.
How did it feel.
And Netherlands in modern day borders!

I was playing the April 30th beta or so until I noticed the patch notes for the latest one. When I applied the patch Fujiwara was the only Damyio left, and as an OPM so it happened quickly. Also, the Netherlands formed in the last 30 or so years in the game by Brabant. Europe is a mess and I didn't touch any of it at all in the game.

Is that Russia in Karelia and Greenland

I believe that's Canada in Greenland. Novogrod and Smolnesk are the two green nations in Scandinavia.