• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
[3] - Bit of a post event rationalization. - the update

Hehe. Well, obviously it was simply a raid. If it wasn't, it would imply Comrade Stalin did not plan to retreat. :D
God, those KV-2s sure are ugly...

Well, that didn't go as you would've liked, but at least you managed to pull out your troops relatively unscathed. No units fell into encirclement, so that's good. I think BigBadBob has the best analysis: obviously, it was a raid in force. And what a raid! Surely this must count as the largest-scale raid in military history, yet more proof that the Red Army is Number One!

Good luck with the upcoming German counterstroke. If the casualty tally in Romania is anything to go by (where you were fighting on the offensive mostly), the Germans will pay a heavy price for any successes they have, which should pave the way nicely for your counter-counterstroke afterwards.
Very good stuff. A pity the attack on Romania did not go a bit better, although casualties seem to have been equal, plus you took a large number of prisoners. As you stated towards the end, the arrival of so many Axis armoured units, seemingly out of the blue, has to be a cause for concern. Hopefully the Red Army is able to survive this 'severe test' well enough.
I have a feeling that the Axis would reoccupy the smoking remains of the Ploiesti refinery complex rather than anything of actual use. According to Wiki, the area accounted for 35% of all the Axis's oil supplies. I think that a successful Soviet raid and systematic destruction of infrastructure would put a big dent in the Axis's war-fighting capabilities.

As to whether the operation was a raid, you yourself have admitted the general staff were basically winging it at this point. You hurt the Germans, and you're just about back to the pre-war borders, so all in all a resounding success. It remains to be seen if you can hold on to these gains.

Of course it was a raid, Uncle Joe says it was a raid so it must have been. Actually it was an attempt to take out Rumania once and for all, though I knew I didn't have enough force to push into Bulgaria till I'd cleared the axis out of Bessarabia and E Hungary, but at this point, in game, I was very confident. Stuyvesant has already spotted that I'd renamed the S Ukrainian Front as the Balkan Front!

well we all know about pride and falls ...

aye, I know they realised the 76mm gun of the KV1 meant all it really was a heavier, less mobile version of the T-34. But the KV2 has the air of a good tank chassis with a lump of steel welded on top of it so they could make use of the 85mm, or its a throwback to the T-26 design concept - which again would fit with it being a rushed solution. It clearly had no legacy into the IS series, those seemed to be based on the design ideas of the T-34 but then, sensibly, traded for speed and main gun calibre.

Nearly victorious!
Fighting in Archangels and in Romania at the same time.
Time to shorten the front?

How many forces do the Germans have outside the eastern front?
Weak enough to be hit by allies? Or allied AI sitting and watching, plotting revenge?

Yes, once I ride out the coming storm I put a lot of effort into reducing the length of the front so I can then attack both en-masse and in echelon.

There's not much left in the west ~ 15/20 divs, mostly garrison units in France and the low countries & about 10-12 divs scattered around Germany itself (mostly guarding Baltic ports). Remember the UK is occupied & the British are just about holding a line around Cairo. The US is very neutral and not all interested, in any case the Germans have Iceland & Greenland so they are pretty safe against any naval invasions.

"And just the meanest Tunes" – The Bessarabian Campaign, July-August 1942

The Bessarabian campaign of July-August 1942 came out of the almost unintended capture of Odessa at the end of the Kutusov Offensive. STAVKA had envisaged that as an attempt to regain control of the Dniepr and relieve German pressure on the Dombas region. The near complete collapse of axis resistance, combined with the lack of operational discipline by the Rumanians, led to the offensive being extended.

Initially 5 Army was ordered to hold its bridgeheads over the Dniepr and 26 Army was to only advance cautiously while covering the crossings at Kremenchuk. 4 Army moved north into Bessarabia and 9 Army plunged into Rumania. Unlike the prolonged, bloody, battles in this region in 1943, the line of the Dniestr was quickly broken and Chisinau taken with no fighting. Once the Rumanians abandoned their sector, 26 Army linked up with 4 Army and by 27 July had captured Uman. As this coincided with the major breakthrough at Smolensk, and 5 Army reaching the outskirts of Kiev, it seemed as if a strategic victory was at hand.

The town of Uman in the Western Ukraine came to capture in miniature all the shifts of fortune on this sector from late July to early September.

The town fell to elements of 26 Army on 27 July after a short battle. It then became the scene of an attempt by Rumanian-Yugoslavian forces to break out of encirclement and of the Germans to relieve their pocket at Talne from 29 July to 6 August.

The opening phase was an atttempt by the Yugoslav 31 Infantry Division to break out of encirclement at Talne (where it had been pocketed together with the Rumanian 161 Infantry) through the screen erected by 99 Rifle. By the 3rd August, 134 Rifle had joined the attempt to both hold the pocket shut and to fend off an attack by the Italian 1 Infantry and the German 258 Motorised. The axis forces at Talne surrendered on 3 August, but the Germans added 7 Heavy Armour to their attack. At this 13 Corps received permission from 26 Army to pull back.

Although it appeared as no more than a sensible re-adjustment of the front, it indicated a major shift of power in the region. Not least 12 Army had just failed to clear the Germans from Bila Tserkva to the north and, to the south, 4 Army was pulling back its advance units to consolidate a defense line on the east bank of the Dniestr.

Having reorganised and reinforced, 26 Army tried to retake the town on 18 August and clashed again with 7 Heavy Armour.

(Second Battle of Uman, Soviet attack lines on second day)

Again the Germans reinforced as the battle went on, bringing in an SS Motorised Division as well as 3rd Panzer Grenadier.

The main thrust of the Soviet attack fell on the narrow set of industrial workings in the defile at Dobrovody. Having to fight down into the steep sided valley, through a well built factory complex and then up an equally steep west bank created a perfect defense line for the Germans.

(Soviet infantry moving through the wooded zone to the south of Dobrovody)

(elements of 169 Rifle waiting to move into the line)

(street fighting in Dobrovody)

As the main attack became bogged down, 203 Motorised tried to attack from the north west, but ran into 3 Panzer Grenadier at Berestrovets. A fierce battle broke out,

(Soviet riflemen at Berestrovets)

but the Stug-IIIs attached to the Panzer Grenadiers gave them a decisive advantage.

(The Stug-III proved to be very effective when the Soviets only had light 45mm AT guns)

Caught up on the ravine at Dobrovody and halted at Berestrovets, 26 Army suspended the attack on 21 August.

By this stage, the front had been more or less static all August, and again the second defeat at Uman could be seen as little other than a temporary delay. Indeed 26 Army was to make a third attempt to take the town in September, but at that stage the full force of the German counteroffensive broke across the Soviet lines in the Ukraine. In effect, unacknowledged by either side, the battles at Uman defined the high point of the Soviet offensive in the region and the moment at which the German defense first solidified and they then moved back to the offensive themselves.

In July, the losses on this sector reflected the mobile actions that took place as the Red Army clashed with axis rearguards and the RKKA's relative dominance. 9,906 Soviet soldiers died for 9,114 Germans and 4,289 of their allies. In addition a further 21,714 were taken prisoner. In August, the Germans removed all their allies from the front as they sought to bring the Soviet offensive to an end. Soviet losses rose to 22,540 and the Germans in turn lost 22,789.

Excellent construction of a narrative out of the events around Uman. And, as always, excellent use of pictures. I really felt a sense of a swirling battle, with the Germans slowly regaining initiative.

How well are you able to deal with the Heavy Armor and Mechanized divisions? Judging from the screenshot of five of your divisions facing off against a sole German Heavy Armored one, it's still a bit of a struggle...

It's sometimes not obvious what the game will pick as a battle of nation-shaking import. In my last game I made a cheeky rush to Berlin with a light tank division and decided to launch a probing assault. Seeing I was never going to win I called it off, only to be told it had been a disastrous battle. Never mind that I only got as far as I did because I'd broken the German front line and was about to reach the Baltic and split the country in half.

I'm really not liking the foreshadowed all-out Axis assault. Sometimes the waiting is the worst part, but I have a feeling that this isn't true this time around. Still, you said you'll be back in 1943, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Great posts as usual. Much appreciated!

A relatively disheartening update, although you did inflict more casualties than you suffered. Constant mention of an Axis counter-offensive has me rather worried though.

Excellent construction of a narrative out of the events around Uman. And, as always, excellent use of pictures. I really felt a sense of a swirling battle, with the Germans slowly regaining initiative.

How well are you able to deal with the Heavy Armor and Mechanized divisions? Judging from the screenshot of five of your divisions facing off against a sole German Heavy Armored one, it's still a bit of a struggle...

A well organised, near full strength Tiger Div is still a real problem to me. At least now, with all the effort I've put into raising my HA values, I do damage the damn things, but they are tough to move. The PzGr divs aren't too bad. I was worried when they started arriving in large numbers in early 42 but they aren't that much a threat. I think early on, even with good L-Arm techs (which I assume the Germans do have) they are still quite soft due to the infantry component, so they are a problem (I certainly can't stand 1:1 with them) but for the most part they are just another tough German unit rather than decisive (& of course they add to their fuel and supply problems)

The images don't work,besides that, a excellent update

EDIT:Now they do,excellent pics

glad it sorted - I have been having some odd problems with imageshack recently, it seems to be deleting pictures at random which is a bit annoying.

It's sometimes not obvious what the game will pick as a battle of nation-shaking import. In my last game I made a cheeky rush to Berlin with a light tank division and decided to launch a probing assault. Seeing I was never going to win I called it off, only to be told it had been a disastrous battle. Never mind that I only got as far as I did because I'd broken the German front line and was about to reach the Baltic and split the country in half.

aye they don't always appear where you'd expect, esp the air and naval ones. I sort of rationalise them as down to the how people frame things (I am after all a psychologist by education), especially under stress. So its all going well, but sometimes a small unimportant set back can really bring to the surface all those fears that 'it'll end badly'. I know from the main forum a lot of people hate them but I find them rather quirky and fun.

II'm really not liking the foreshadowed all-out Axis assault. Sometimes the waiting is the worst part, but I have a feeling that this isn't true this time around. Still, you said you'll be back in 1943, so it's not all doom and gloom.
A relatively disheartening update, although you did inflict more casualties than you suffered. Constant mention of an Axis counter-offensive has me rather worried though.
Bah, he'll be fine. Eventually. And for now building suspense is all to the good.

In game, whats coming reall surprised me. It starts as little but a more intense and committed defense & then I've suddenly got big holes torn in my front ... but yep never fear, we do have to fight yet again over exactly the same set of provinces!

Great posts as usual. Much appreciated!

glad you continue to enjoy it.

Nice!
Damn Germans, using panzers to defend the key-provinces!
Abuse!

aye, one would almost thing the AI was competent.

Can you lift the hasps of steel? Leningrad July-September 1942

A major controversy in Soviet coverage of the fighting in the Leningrad region during the Great Patriotic War was whether this German offensive collectively constitutes the Fourth Battle of Leningrad or whether it should be split into seperate battles spread across the entire sector in July and the Axis attempt to take Petrokopst in August. Somewhat controversially a handful of historians see the brief Soviet attack across the Neva at the end of August as a completely different operation.

(line of the Neva from Leningrad to Lake Ladoga)

We take the view that it should be seen as a single long battle. In favour of this was that the same forces, especially on the Soviet side, were engaged throughout. Equally captured OKH archives are clear that both phases were launched with the same basic goal. As 23 Army was now fully engaged to the east of Ladoga, 27 Army had lost most of its reserves, so was presumably more vulnerable. Equally the Germans were desparate to stop Soviet forces from the Leningrad Front linking with 8 Army and an offensive aimed at Leningrad seemed to be one way to force 23 Army to break off its attacks.

(German observation photograph of Leningrad before the battle commenced)

By late July, the situation in Leningrad was appalling. Food rations had been cut and cut again, medical supplies were limited and ammunition usage strictly rationed.

(Ration card for Leningrad)

The start of the air re-supply from Vologda eased this situation and, once Smolensk was captured on 19 July a major effort commenced. The notional supply line opened when 8 and 23 Armies met on 3 August was more for morale than a practical help. All this helped, but throughout the battle, Soviet ammunition stocks were severly limited, reducing the amount of artillery fire that could be used and placing even greater reliance on the ingenuity of the front line commanders.

As with the Third Battle, this time almost no German forces were directly engaged, the fighting was conducted purely by their allies. The German units within Army Group North were being thrown against 8 Army.

The axis offensive opened late on 1 July, taking advantage of the near complete daylight of the 'White Nights' of high summer. However, even though 27 Army was short on ammunition, it had a well prepared defense line in the southern suburbs. Here 123 & 88 Rifle Divisions held the bridges at Nova Satatovskaya creating a permanent threat to the axis forces attacking towards the city proper. After a week it seemed as if this offensive would be easily contained.

However on 6 July Hungarian forces commenced a new attempt to cross the Neva. This time they only screened Petrokopst and the full force fell on the line from Maslova to Kolaniya. Catching the Soviet defense line off balance, this co-incided with a suspension of their attack on Leningrad to concentrate on securing Nova Satatovskaya. By 8 July, the Hungarians had 2 divisions over the Neva and the Soviets had lost the south side of the bridge at Nova Satatovskaya.

(Soviet troops in this sector were exhausted, due to the constant pressure and even the medical teams were as much involved in the fighting as the rifle companies)

The situation steadily deteriorated even as the few remaining KV1s were rushed to the sector and first Pe-2s, then Sturmoviks once Smolensk was secured, were committed to disrupt their attacks.

(Sturmoviks at Smolensk)

At this stage the shortage of artillery shells was proving crucial. By 13 July the Axis forces had secured the north bank of the Neva and seemed poised to strike out to Porokhovyye.

At this critical juncture, the Leningrad Front took two gambles. First the 115 Rifle Division and its KV brigade attacked directly down the main road south from Leningrad. Second, three relatively fresh Rifle Divisions (1 NKVD, 10 & 48) attacked from Pustoth into the flank of the Hungarians. Both attacks were immediately struck by German aircraft despite the best efforts of the VVS. However, they were maintained to the point of desparation, including firing off 5 days stocks of artillery shells in the first afternoon.

(Soviet assault team, again using improvised body armour)

The KVs managed to reach almost to Putkovo before finally having to retreat. However 1 NKVD managed to secure the north side of the bridge at Nova Satatovskaya, threatening the supply lines of the Hungarians. Shocked by the ferocity of the counter attack, the Hungarians started to pull back. From 20 to 22 July they tried to hold onto a small bridgehead but finally were pushed back over the Neva at 10.00 on the 22nd leaving 6,135 dead behind them.

Since the bulk of the Soviet forces were now on the western sector, 3 Rumanian Infantry divisions commenced, on 25 July, an assault on Petrokopst. This ran straight into the well prepared Soviet barrage plans developed over previous battles and was called off late on the 30th.

(Soviet prepared artillery plan for the Petrokopst sector)

It had been little short of a massacre with less than 500 Soviet casualties for over 4,000 dead Rumanians.

All this time, the axis offensive at Leningrad itself was maintained. However, the mix of Bulgarian, Italian and Greek units lacked the skill of the Red Army in urban warfare. With their flank now constantly exposed at Nova Satatovskaya, they were unable to generate consistent pressure. During the day they would clear blocks or factories, at night Soviet assault teams would slip back in.

(Soviet counterattack)

The constant pressure undermined their commitment and the attack on the city was broken off at 14.00 on 10 August. They left almost 15,000 dead amongst the ruins of South Leningrad.

However, OKH was not finished. Even if they could no longer take Leningrad by storm, they could draw off reserves and ammunition also needed in the Ladoga battles. A new attempt to take Petrokopst commenced on 9 August, hitting the exhausted defenders. Fortunately they only had 3 fresh divisions (1 Greek, 2 Hungarian) available. The Light Tanks of 1 Hungarian Armoured Division were probably more a hindrence than help.

(Hungarian Turan 1 Light Tank)

Their armour was vulnerable even to the 45mm divisional AT guns, and they were constantly bogged down in the marshes west of Petrokopst. The threat was serious, but the Leningrad Front was able to rotate divisions in and out of the battle,

(a brief respite from the horrors of the front lines)

allowing them to regain a modicum of organisation. By 29 August, even OKH had to admit it was over, with the attackers never really threatening to breach the line of the Neva.

At this, to help out the hard pressed 23 Army, early on 29 August a brief Soviet counteroffensive was launched. It became quickly clear that OKH had kept back a substantial reserve of fresh units and the Soviet offensive was suspended on 2 September.

Thereafter, the Leningrad front remained quiet until the Fifth Battle in January 1943.

The July-August battles were probably the single bloodiest connected actions of the war. 14,905 Soviet and 30,936 Axis soldiers lost their lives. Rumania may have just been kept in the war, but the slaughter of their divisions at Petrokopst did little to raise their national morale or commitment to the Axis cause.

Fierce battles - and seeing six divisions of Hungarians attack in one place: wow. I've mentioned before how impressed I am with the Axis allied contributions, and this is another example of that. Even if it is another futile attempt.

Don't know how to gauge the Axis focus on Leningrad. I mean, it's clearly a major target and they keep the pressure up on you, but it seems like they could more fruitfully employ all those troops (instead of trying to fill in the marshes with Hungarian and Romanian corpses).

Love the picture of the musicians: a different view of the war from the usual combat photos.

Very well written account of the defence of Leningrad, it seemed very tense stuff merely reading through it. The numbers brought to bear by both sides are considerable, thankfully Soviet tenacity managed to win through, although it seemed a close run thing. Were you truly worried yourself, that you may have lost Leningrad during this long battle? Or to perhaps word my question a bit better; was it a close run thing? You caused far more casualties after all.

The major problem for the axis allies, I think, is that they just haven't got the ability to keep their forces up-to-date technologically/tactically. Even the Italians. The problem for the Germans is that without them, they don't have the infantry numbers to hold the whole front. Using panzerwaffe units in the front line, including Panzer-Grenadiers, exposes them to attrition which is pretty much a losing proposition from the German standpoint. As it stands, almost all German infantry units we see in screenshots are below full strength. It seems like you're getting to the point where they have to deploy panzers to hold positions, which even when it works hurst the German chances.

But then there's this counter-offensive coming. Seems like the AI isn't accepting defeat gracefully.

(Soviet assault team, again using improvised body armour)

I don't think that's actually improvised. It's issue equipment, for specialised assault engineer units. Inzhenerno-Saperny, I think is the soviet term. That they're in an amoeba-pattern camouflage suit, and the guy in the background is using a flame-thrower, pretty much confirms that type of brigade.

Last edited:
The situation in Leningrad seems to be nicely mirroring reality, with the Russians hanging on grimly while the Axis look for the decisive victory elsewhere and hence don't commit enough troops be sure of victory. I too really like the picture of the band performing amid the rubble and also the improvised body armour. It gives a real feeling of how close to the edge the Soviet defenders were.

I don't think that's actually improvised. It's issue equipment, for specialised assault engineer units. Inzhenerno-Saperny, I think is the soviet term. That they're in an amoeba-pattern camouflage suit, and the guy in the background is using a flame-thrower, pretty much confirms that type of brigade.

You come through again! :) Since you seem to know your way around this stuff, I'll ask you: is that body armor made out of cast iron? It kinda looks like they took a stove apart and roughly moulded it into a torso-shape...

You come through again! :) Since you seem to know your way around this stuff, I'll ask you: is that body armor made out of cast iron? It kinda looks like they took a stove apart and roughly moulded it into a torso-shape...

They look pretty nicely crafted to me. See how they go down over the belly, protecting the guts, but still not hamper the soldiers thigh when crouching. Seems like they even have extra vests under it to take some of the pressure away from the shoulders. They gotto weigh plenty, though. The combat vest I used to use back in the days only covered chest and back, and they still weighed close to 10 kilos or something - if I remeber right. These once gotto be much heavier.

Edit: Doesnt seem like the flamer-guy have one - but its a little bit hard to tell. Might imply that only the once in the front with light weaponry had those cumbersom vests... but I'm just guessing away now.

Leningrad stands, Soviet Union stands!
Why does the AI even bother attacking it?
And especially Hungary? :p
Fierce battles - and seeing six divisions of Hungarians attack in one place: wow. I've mentioned before how impressed I am with the Axis allied contributions, and this is another example of that. Even if it is another futile attempt.

Don't know how to gauge the Axis focus on Leningrad. I mean, it's clearly a major target and they keep the pressure up on you, but it seems like they could more fruitfully employ all those troops (instead of trying to fill in the marshes with Hungarian and Romanian corpses).

Love the picture of the musicians: a different view of the war from the usual combat photos.

I think the clue is in one of the battle shots. I'd gone to -50 on supply and that seems to get the AI rather optimistic. What happened was a consequence of the supply routine of 'furthest-first' so all that supply I was air transporting into Leningrad, in good fraternal manner was then being sent to 23A on the other side of Ladoga. Once I opened up an overland supply road Leningrad became the 'furthest' point and it came back.

So it looks like the AI is content to screen, unless my supply position gets really bad when it will try it on.

I like the musician photograph as well. I found a few that I'll use later on but they are a bit more posed, or more obviously at the rear. That one really has the air of a brief respite amongst the ruins.

Very well written account of the defence of Leningrad, it seemed very tense stuff merely reading through it. The numbers brought to bear by both sides are considerable, thankfully Soviet tenacity managed to win through, although it seemed a close run thing. Were you truly worried yourself, that you may have lost Leningrad during this long battle? Or to perhaps word my question a bit better; was it a close run thing? You caused far more casualties after all.

Well when they started I wasn't fussed. Just took the screenshots and got on with planning for Suvorov. Then I noticed the battle indicators were -64/70 and panicked. Found out why (the supply flow above) & realised there was nothing I could do - apart from bomb - until I could sort out some overland supply. So by late July it was very bad and I was really worried, that so close to creating a land corridor I was going to lose Leningrad. Once the supply started to arrive, that plus my usual troop rotation, meant it was just a matter of time before the Axis had to break off.

The major problem for the axis allies, I think, is that they just haven't got the ability to keep their forces up-to-date technologically/tactically. Even the Italians. The problem for the Germans is that without them, they don't have the infantry numbers to hold the whole front. Using panzerwaffe units in the front line, including Panzer-Grenadiers, exposes them to attrition which is pretty much a losing proposition from the German standpoint. As it stands, almost all German infantry units we see in screenshots are below full strength. It seems like you're getting to the point where they have to deploy panzers to hold positions, which even when it works hurst the German chances.

But then there's this counter-offensive coming. Seems like the AI isn't accepting defeat gracefully.

The other thing that ultimately works in my favour is their reliance on a 'firebrigade' style defense, sooner or later I get the strength to overwhelm them on a broad front and then their reserves are trapped in combat. Quite realistic as that is what happened from late 43 onwards.

A few times I have to leave my armour in the front at the end of an offensive, its surprising how much damage (numbers and org) they took from just skirmishes. Always, if I could pulled them back behind the inf to regain their strength.

& no, the AI accepts defeat very badly, it only stops major, if localised, counterattacks by late July 44.

Another great update.

Can I ask Loki, are you using independent Corps attached to Army Group (Front) level as well as Armies?

on the main front, I've got a pretty conventional corps-army-front-theatre structure in place. The 'army corps' are a hold over from the starting OOB but I don't use them in any way different to the rest. In the Arctic and Central Asia, I've got all sorts of ad-hoc arrangements due to the distances involved. So there are corps attached to theatre and so in an attempt to have some sort of flow of command bonuses but not have too many small HQs (& thus further pull down my officer ratio).

The situation in Leningrad seems to be nicely mirroring reality, with the Russians hanging on grimly while the Axis look for the decisive victory elsewhere and hence don't commit enough troops be sure of victory. I too really like the picture of the band performing amid the rubble and also the improvised body armour. It gives a real feeling of how close to the edge the Soviet defenders were.

In quite a nice way, there are a few events in this game you can map to the real war. The German behaviour at Archangelsk is one, especially where they started to break out west towards the relief force then turned and fell back into encirclement. Leningrad is another where they don't quite put in enough effort to take it.

The Ukraine has a nice feel to the front swinging around a fulcrum, its just that lies on the Dnierpr not Kharkov.

They look pretty nicely crafted to me. See how they go down over the belly, protecting the guts, but still not hamper the soldiers thigh when crouching. Seems like they even have extra vests under it to take some of the pressure away from the shoulders. They gotto weigh plenty, though. The combat vest I used to use back in the days only covered chest and back, and they still weighed close to 10 kilos or something - if I remeber right. These once gotto be much heavier.

Edit: Doesnt seem like the flamer-guy have one - but its a little bit hard to tell. Might imply that only the once in the front with light weaponry had those cumbersom vests... but I'm just guessing away now.

I am, as ever impressed. It does look fitted, I guess it must have weighed a lot (certainly compared to modern military kit), so probably only worn by some members of a special assault squad. Certainly the bloke behind has a flamethrower but no obvious body armour. So I guess the first one was the person who had to go in first and just hope the armour kept him alive.