• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm ashamed to acknowledge that the word 'Teutobod' completely consumed my mind reading this otherwise excellent update hence forcing me to read it twice...

Ok, four times... I'm that easily distracted... :blush:

The names, it seems, are going to be a distraction :)

Anywho, I am feeling quite ill (have all weekend), so I am just posting the update and scampering off to my nice warm bed. I'll respond to comments later (though I promise, I've read and appreciate them all)

On The Reign of Teutobod of the Dagaricid Clan - 482-487 A.U.C.

On The Reign of Teutobod of the Dagaricid Clan - 482-487 A.U.C.
(272-267BC)

On His Election as High Chief

Teutobod, though a Clan Chief and Administrator, was never seriously considered as High Chief. The real fight was between Teutobod Andicid, cousin of the late chief, and Gunthamund Marbodid. Both sides were ready for war and a few kin of each contender had already been violently murdered when Tassilo Gelimerid, a lesser contender, had one of the few true insights in Vandal history.

The Tribe, he noted had not yet recovered from Ageric's bloody reign. In fact, the Horde was still under-strength by 1,000 men and there were no reserves. A bloody civil war would only further ruin the tribe and leave them open for easy conquest.

Usually, a speech of this much sense would be followed by the vicious murder of the speaker but, after 17 years of Ageric's rule, even the Vandals were tired of violence. So, they elected Teutobod. Mostly because he was old and weak.

On the Generally Low Regard The Vandals Hold Him In

Teutobod is considered a complete failure by the Vandal Lawspeakers. The main reason for this is that he did not fight a single major war and only launched two campaigns. One a single revenge campaign against a wandering tribe of Germans and the other was the defeat of a minor rebellion in Suebi. He left the Horde at full strength and had rebuilt the reserves to 500 men, even with losing 1,000 heavy infantrymen to the Barbarians.

Another reason the rest of the Tribe hated him was his decision to embrace Civilization. Granted, it was in a thoroughly Vandal method. They would kidnap Greek merchants and feed their brains to Lawspeakers, but still, it was a start. Vandals hate nothing more than Civilization. Except personal hygiene. They really hate that too.

Finally, his forgiving and peaceful nature largely confounded his tribe-mates who could not conceive of any way of life outside of plundering, mob violence and blood-feuds.

On the Violent End of his reign

The final straw, so far as the Vandals were concerned, came in 487 A.U.C. (267BC). The strongmen of the tribe had grown fearful and jealous of the Sicambri, the dominant tribe in the region. Their land was twice the size of the Vandals and their army equally powerful. However, they were engaged in a minor civil war. The various clan heads declared this the time to pounce and destroy this potential foe. Never mind the part where the Vandal Horde still lacked reserves and a long war would doom the tribe. Teutobod decided on another path, instead making overtures towards the Sicambri and attempting to join them in an alliance.

The Sicambri, being composed of sane individuals, naturally refused to associate themselves with the vile Vandals and so declined the offer. When this humiliating news reached the tribe, Teutobod Dagaricid was promptly strangled to death by Teutobod Andicid the Elder, who declared he could not share a name with so cowardly a man. Usually the murderer of a High-Chief would be boiled alive along with his family, but such was the distaste felt for Teutobod Dagaricid that his murderer was merely banned from assuming the High-Chieftainship.

On His Attempt to Strengthen the High-Chieftainship

Teutobod, quite rightly, feared that the 'first among equals' nature of the High-Chief position would cause the more strong willed and violent of his co-chiefs to disregard him altogether. This had never come up before as most chiefs simply murdered most of their potential rivals. Teutobod, however, wanted the High-Chief's role as ruler formally accepted by the Lawspeakers.

The only way he could get the other Clan Chiefs to agree to this change was to also get the Lawspeakers to accept the Blood-Feud as the law of the land in all criminal proceeding. Teutobod had no choice but to agree.

So, he strengthened the power of the High-Chief as leader of a Confederation of Clans while at the same time this most peaceful of Vandals legalized and legitimized the Blood Feud in a way not even Ageric had considered. So, he also indirectly killed many Vandals. For this reason, I like him.

An Amusing Anecdote of His Reign

Teutobod was a good father who spent a great deal of time raising his son to be a man of peace and raising him to trust in others. One day, as the High-Chief was giving his son a lesson on forgiveness, the lad asked him a question.

"Father, if we are to forgive others and trust in the goodness of human nature, why do we have so many locked up in the prison?"

"From the mouth of children comes great wisdom," his father answered. The doors of the prison were opened and all were given full pardons.

Both father and son felt very pleased with themselves until, a few months later, a new sculpture appeared in the middle of town. It was a massive statue of the High-Chief carved by Nithard Marbodid, the greatest artist of his generation. Nithard, it should be noted, was one of the prisoners freed by Teutobod's orders.

Ah, what a happy ending, you might say. What a fantastical moral, you might think.

Before you do this though, let me describe the statue for you. True to Nithard's great skill it is a perfect replica of the High-Chief. However, he is dressed in traditional female garb with hair done up in the latest fashion for the wives of the great men. The skirt is pulled up in front revealing a very unimpressive manhood. The statue is winking at the viewer and the lips are puckered in a kiss.

On the base of this statue pictures have been carefully carved that can mean nothing except "Teutobod Dagaricid, High-Whore, attempts to beguile another lover in exchange for a goat."

I have seen this statue with my own eyes as it still stands today. Teutobod could find no one willing to remove it as they all pointed out that pardoning Nithard the Mad was his own fault.

Nithard was restored to jail after this stunt, but the damage was done and Teutobod's reign never recovered. He also stopped taking moral advice from his young son.

A Chronicle of Teutobod Dagaricid's Reign

482 AUC (272BC) - Elected High-Chief at age 52. High-Chief position strengthened as the Blood-Feud is enshrined as law of the land. Hilderic the Bastarnae of the Andicid Clan chosen High-Lawspeaker. Teutobod embraces Greek Civilization, the tastier parts of it anyway. Teutobod releases all the prisoners.

483 AUC (271BC) - Nithard Marbodid makes his great sculpture 'Teutobod the High-Whore.' Nithard re-imprisoned. Sigaric Amandid, son of a released prisoner, begins publicly doubting Teutobod's strength as a ruler, rightly pointing to the statue of 'Teutobod the High-Whore,' still standing in the town square as a sign of weakness. Ageric would have torn it down with his own hands or dressed it in Nithard's entrails. High-Priest Attalus Malaricid declares the gods have informed him the Vandal tribe is going in the wrong direction. Fearing for his safety, Teutobod Dagaricid assumes command of the Horde personally. All in all, not a great year for the High-Chief.

484 AUC (270BC) - Sicambri expand over four tribal lands. Some grumble that the Vandals should expand to match them. Teutobod demurs, claiming the Horde is still not recovered from Ageric's Wars. The Vandals, insensible to reason, hate him for this.

485 AUC (269BC) - Refuses to make Teutobod Andicid's son Teutobod a Bodyguard as Teutobod the Elder not only claims the High-Chieftainship, but also tends to publicly embarrass the high Chief. Teutobod bullies his way into military command of the lesser Horde and immediately begins plotting treason. The High-Chief raises new Heavy Infantry for the Horde. They are massacred by the Silingae Barbarians. Teutobod Dagaricid leads the Horde on a revenge assault on the barbarians, crushing them.

486 AUC (268BC) - The dead Vandals are avenged as the barbarian remnants are crushed. An uprising in Seubi is also crushed. Teutobod Dagaricid gives himself a Victory Parade. Gunthamund the Bastarnae Marbodid, a former army commander and Teutobod Andicid the Elder's rival is murdered during the parade.

487 AUC (267BC) - Teutobod Dagaricid reaches out to the Sicambri in peace. Of course, he is murdered brutally for this aged 59. And his murderer, Teutobod Andicid the Elder, is allowed to go scott free.

The Teutobodies just keep piling up.

And high chief? More like high chef; delicious brain fritters a la Grecque! What lawspeaker could decline?

Last edited:
Bah, there is no room for 'artistic freedom' in suppressive Vandalia! :mad:

All in all, not a great year for the High-Chief.

Masterful understatement :D

59 old?
I thought all vandals would die before their 25th birthday?

Another reason Teutobod (well, this Teutobod) had to die... No respect for the hallowed traditions of his tribe. Tsk, tsk.

There's a nice bit of irony here (if only the Vandals had enough brains to recognize it - Greek ones don't count): they elected Teutobod because he was old and weak. Then they hated his reign, because he was old and weak. Finally, they killed him, because he was old and weak. It's not like they couldn't have seen it coming...

At least he got a statue. In some ways this makes him the most successful High-Chief yet. I am sure that in time revisionist historians will re-interpret this text to find a positive interpretation of the whole goat-whore thing.

Another reason Teutobod (well, this Teutobod) had to die... No respect for the hallowed traditions of his tribe. Tsk, tsk.

There's a nice bit of irony here (if only the Vandals had enough brains to recognize it - Greek ones don't count): they elected Teutobod because he was old and weak. Then they hated his reign, because he was old and weak. Finally, they killed him, because he was old and weak. It's not like they couldn't have seen it coming...

Perhaps that makes him the best high cheif ever - universally despised and brutally murdered! Just what everyone wants in a leader! :D

Teutobod embraces Greek Civilization, the tastier parts of it anyway.

Wonderful!

I've only just found this AAR and it had me chuckling - well done. Consider me subscribed!

The Teutobodies just keep piling up.

And high chief? More like high chef; delicious brain fritters a la Grecque! What lawspeaker could decline?

Indeed! (Your whole comment had me rolling)

hope you feel better soon

the statue sounds a thing of wonderment though ... sort of a satirical political cartoon, but in wood and delivered personally to the recipient

Nithard is a very subtle satirist

Bah, there is no room for 'artistic freedom' in suppressive Vandalia! :mad:

Maybe Nithard was the only artist ever, so it just surprised everyone

Masterful understatement :D

:) Thanks

59 old?
I thought all vandals would die before their 25th birthday?

I am surprised when they make it to 20!

Kind of poetic beauty, if you ask me

They're Vandals, you expect them to see anything coming? ;):D

:D

At least he got a statue. In some ways this makes him the most successful High-Chief yet. I am sure that in time revisionist historians will re-interpret this text to find a positive interpretation of the whole goat-whore thing.

Oh yeah, I'm sure in some Art History Class somewhere Teutobod Dagaricid is seen as the Father of Satirical Sculpture for his cultivating of artists

Perhaps that makes him the best high cheif ever - universally despised and brutally murdered! Just what everyone wants in a leader! :D

Hahaha!

Wonderful!

I've only just found this AAR and it had me chuckling - well done. Consider me subscribed!

I'm glad you like it, thanks!

Nice AAR, I don't think I've read anything like this before.

(From a fellow competitor)

Nice AAR, I don't think I've read anything like this before.

(From a fellow competitor)

:) Thoughts so nice, you shared them twice. I'm glad you like it, thanks.

On the Reign of Gunthamund of the Marbodid Clan - 487-495 A.U.C.

On the Reign of Gunthamund of the Marbodid Clan - 487-495 A.U.C.
(267-259BC)

On the Ironic Nature of His Reign

Gunthamund Marbodid was the leader of the second Marbodid Civil War of Ageric Andicid's reign, so the Andicid Clan rightly feared violent reprisals at his election to High-Chieftainship. Gunthamund, however, decided to try something different. In the Lands of the Vandals, this is never a good idea.

Rather than act upon the Blood Feud, he offered an olive branch to his opponents. The Andicid Clan was to be favored by its new High-Chief. While the wily old Teutobod Andicid the Elder was not allowed to keep his military command, he had after all just murdered a sitting High-Chief, he was given the High-General honorific. His son, also named Teutobod Andicid the Younger (the Vandals, uncreative as they are, apply this name to a full third of their male population), was given command of the 2,000 strong Warband and also added to the High-Chief's bodyguard.

The Andicids would take this olive branch and (after biding their time) beat Gunthamund to death with it, in true Vandal fashion. Teutobod the Younger rose up declaring Gunthamund weak and unfit to rule. Teutobod the Elder backed his son, raising the Seubi in rebellion as well. Before the Horde could intervene, Vandalia had fallen and the High-Chief was murdered by an Andicid. Yet again.

On the Dichotomy Between his Legacy and his Actions

It was not just in his relations with the Andicid Clan where irony reigned supreme. As the reader is well aware, Vandal government appointments were considered lifetime appointments. As brutish and short as Vandal Life is, the long-term effects of morons in government are usually avoided. Gunthamund broke this tradition across the board on his election.

Teutobod the Elder's appointment as High-General has already been noted. What wasn't noted was that Tassilo Gelimerid was stripped of that post first. Hilderic Andicid, the High-Lawspeaker, was made Constructor with Amand Dagaricid fired to make way for him. The useless High-Priest Attalus Malaricid was fired and the post given to Teutobod Amandid.

This latter is worth noting especially for two reasons: first, when Ageric Andicid replaced the High-Priest it created a monstrous scandal, while Gunthamund's much larger house-cleaning went without a peep. Second, almost immediately after Attalus was stripped of his power, the goddess Freya gave the tribe one of its rare blessings.

The Lawspeakers and Priests don't know if it was because she hated Attalus Malaricid so much or if Teutobod Amandid pleased her, for that matter, they don't seem to particularly care why. Most people would have tried to find out what pleased the gods and attempt to repeat that behavior. Not the Vandals. They treat the blessings of gods with the same ignorant shrugging of the shoulders that they treat the curses of the gods with.

But I digress. The Dichotomy comes in when one considers that, despite this strong break with tradition and massive ruffling of feathers, and despite the fact that he never fought a war he wasn't forced into, Gunthamund Marbodid is remembered rather fondly and as a good Warlord rather than as an untraditional cretin and a coward like Teutobod Dagaricid. In fact, if one discounts the general uprising which resulted in his death, he seems to have suffered no ill-effects from this wholesale disruption of Vandal tradition.

On his Plans for War

Gunthamund Marbodid loudly declared the conquest of the Semnoni Tribe as his goal from the moment he assumed the High-Chieftainship. Barbarians would deny him this chance. Barbarians and his own penchant for laziness. And possibly cowardice. You see, Gunthamund learned during his rebellion, that wars can get you put in jail or even killed, so while he talked much about going to war with the Semnoni, he never did. Either the timing was off or the Horde needed to rebuild its numbers or there weren't enough reserves. There was always an excuse.

Gunthamund did not even lead the Horde himself, pulling Ageric Amandid out of retirement to lead the main army of the tribe. Ageric Amandid had lead an army into Boii during Ageric Andicid's reign and single-handedly brought that power to its knees. So, Gunthamund was good at finding talent, but that was about it.

His first opportunity to avoid war came a year after he took office. The Horde was rebuilt and more than 2,000 reserves were ready. Ageric Amandid had whipped the Horde into shape and they were ready for war with the Semnoni. Just then, a Barbarian horde of more than 8,000 warriors came from the east, marching on Vandalia. The Horde was dispatched to backup the Warband. This turned out to be a good idea as the barbarians swept aside Teutobod and the 2,000 strong Warband and then stormed the hillfort of Vandalia, plundering the whole province.

Ageric Amandid and the Horde quickly turned the tables though, routing the barbarians and pursuing them around Vandalia and Silingae until every last one of them had been killed or enslaved. Ageric was given a victory parade for this feat.

Now, Gunthamund was able to claim 'rebuilding the Horde' as his excuse for avoiding going to war and this excuse lasted until the Teutobod Andicids rebelled forcing him into a Civil War which, as history had already shown, wasn't his strong suite. Ageric Amandid and the Horde remained loyal, but Gunthamund made the critical error of splitting the Horde in two. 3,000 were sent to battle Teutobod's Warband while the other half, and the best general in Vandalia, were sent to siege the rebelling Suebi. The leaderless Horde was quickly crushed by Teutobod the Younger who then stormed the Vandalia hillfort. Gunthamund was quickly captured and executed.

In the end, it seems, he had an excellent reason to avoid war. He was plainly not good at it. Still, if you ask any Vandal on the street about Gunthamund, they will inevitably reply "he was a good Warlord." Of course, any Vandal on the street will probably be a congenital idiot.

A Chronicle of Gunthamund Marbodid's Reign

487 AUC (267BC) - Elected High-Chief aged 50. Shuffles the major titles within the Tribe. Hilderic Amandid, High-Lawspeaker dies. The post isn't refilled. Attalus Malaricid, ex-High Priest dies. Freya grants a blessing to the Vandals.

488 AUC (266BC) - 9,000 Sumgabrian Barbarians descend on Vandalia, rout the Warband, plunder Vandalia.

489 AUC (265BC) - Ageric Amandid and the Horde catch the retreating Barbarians and pursue them until they are destroyed. Ageric given a Victory Parade.

494 AUC (260BC) - A Helvatii Barbarian Horde conquers the Semnoni, something Gunthamund had been promising to do for 7 years.

495 AUC (259BC) - Teutobod Andicid rebels. Gunthamund loses the Civil War after several strategic blunders and is executed aged 58.

Hah, those innovative methods of that weird Gundawhateverhisname were soon to be squashed. Now get some Teutobod on the throne as per usual!