• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
well I'm sorry but this really rubs me the wrong way.

lack of game browser obviously have to do with steam, right?

For what it's worth, I agree with you that it's a bad habit to include features based upon choice of distribution channel. Discriminating customers is never a good idea. I'm just happy the feature is relatively minor, though that doesn't make much for an excuse.

Just to clear it up, the Steam version has some kind of on-line game lobby while the other distributions lack this feature completely? And Steam and non-Steam versions can not play together?

Just checking before my Steam using friend buys an incompatible copy with my Gamersgate.

oh wait, steam and non-steam versions can't even play together? haha. this obviously is a huge deal then.

I don't think that's the case, but of course I do not know for sure. It's just that non-Steam multiplayers will need to meet here on the forums, or anywhere else. A game browser would be nice, I thought that was the main idea of Paradox Connect?

oh wait, steam and non-steam versions can't even play together? haha. this obviously is a huge deal then.

I can't find where I read that. Don't take this as a fact yet. :) I just want definite confirmation and I want to clear this issue up. If I play this it will be with friends and we tend to buy games from different distributors.

Edit:
We thought about it a long time before going down this route. If a lot of people end up wanting the server browser we'll try to work it in or go via Gameranger and their great service down the line.

While reading back I found this. I guess gameranger would be very acceptable. Then both Steam and Gameranger serve as 3rd party matchmaking software.

oh ok. I won't rage quit off the internet just yet then. hehe. same here, what few internet friends I have usually stick to steam. and it's pretty obvious the steam version of the game is going to be the one promoted and linked to from everywhere. doesn't even seem like the non-steam version of the game will be available day one.

oh ok. I won't rage quit off the internet just yet then. hehe. same here, what few internet friends I have usually stick to steam. and it's pretty obvious the steam version of the game is going to be the one promoted and linked to from everywhere. doesn't even seem like the non-steam version of the game will be available day one.

Makes me wonder whether buying it from GamersGate will give us both versions. The Steam version which can be activated on Steam, which later will be switched to the actual non-Steam version. I would find that acceptable. Makes sure I don't have to use Steam accept when I need matchmaking software. I doubt this would be the case though. :p

Here's Shams with actual information, and confirming that Steam and nonSteam versions can't play together:

Hi everyone.

So here's the deal. The Steam version of the game is ready and shipped (steam will activate it on the 25th or 26th).

The non-steam version is not ready yet, we still have a few network issues to resolve.

I won't get into the technical stuff too much but the steam version uses steamworks (game browser , LAN, and direct IP) and the non-steam has another solution for online play (which supports LAN and direct IP).

We decided we didn't want to release the non-steam unless it was as stable as the steam version). We don't think it's fair to you guys to start selling a game unless the online play works fine.

So we offered our partners a choice, wait for the non-steam version (no ETA atm) or take the steam version. Most opted for the latter since that'd mean they'd can be a part of the release.

We'll get back to you as soon as we can with more info. But this week is steam week if you want to play Magicka.

I know this will piss some people off, I'd be pissed too. But I know that a lot more people would be pissed if there was no release at all.

Regards,

Shams

The non-steam and steam version are in no way compatible.

/s

no, what's the point of getting a non-steam if you want to activate it on steam?

Then why does the DLC tell me I have to go to Steam to activate it and use it?

How to install your DLC:
You will have to activate your game thru the Steam software.
Please, follow the following steps :
1. You need to have Magicka installed.
2. Launch Steam. Click on the “ADD A GAME” button on the bottom-left corner of your screen, and then choose “Activate a Product on Steam”:
3. Enter your CD key exactly as it appears on your email (you have to respect the upper or lower case as well as spaces, or you can also copy/paste the key)

What's the deal? I bought the Gamersgate version because I typically try to support Paradox.... but I'm just baffled.

A) does this activate through Steam as the DLC implies
B) Are the Steam and non-Steam versions incompatible as that one post implies? That would be a PROFOUNDLY stupid engineering decision to make the game incompatible with other players on the same platform based solely on how they purchased the game.
C) Is the Gamersgate version going to even release today or should I request a refund and buy it on Steam due to A & B?

chkltcow, at the moment there is only a Steam version. So the one you buy at gamersgate, which needs 3rd party activation (aka Steam) is the Steam version.

There is another version in development which doesn't use Steam as a platform. This version is incompatible with the Steam version, however. If gamersgate will sell that version as well, we don't know as of now, but I'd guess they will.

So right now you most likely have bought the Steam version from gamersgate, which means you will get a key which allows you to add Magicka to your Steam account and will be able to play with other players who own the Steam version as well, no matter where they bought it.

As far as we know from the devs posting here:

A) The gamersgate version is the Steam version, gamersgate is essentially selling you an activation code you can use in Steam. You need Steam to play the gamersgate version. At least currently, there is talk about a non-Steam version, but we don't know when that will be out, and if it will be sold on gamersgate.

B) It has been said that Steam and non-Steam games cannot play with each other.

C) As A), above. The gamersgate version IS the Steam version. You can buy at gamersgate, and then use the code to activate the game in your Steam launcher/whateveritscalled.

EDIT: emu'd, that's what you get for being verbose :p

chkltcow, at the moment there is only a Steam version. So the one you buy at gamersgate, which needs 3rd party activation (aka Steam) is the Steam version.

EDIT: emu'd, that's what you get for being verbose :p

Thanks, guys.

I love Paradox games... I've bought a ton of them... but the one thing they haven't quite got down is the whole "smooth release" bit. Now I guess we just have to wait for whatever arbitrary release time Steam picks (I've seen 6am, 11am, 1pm, 4pm, 6pm) so I can see if the GG version will unlock Steam and let me play.

Is it just me, or is there only a steam activation key for the DLC? There's no key under the Magicka tab. Or are they one and the same? I don't want to register the wrong key to Steam :s

GamersGate doesnt give me the activation key yet, though the game has been released on Steam. How much delay should there be? I would like to play.
(Steam released it 3 minutes ago or so I've been told, so it might happen in 5 minutes. Just saying there are some discrepancies.)

Then why does the DLC tell me I have to go to Steam to activate it and use it?

What's the deal? I bought the Gamersgate version because I typically try to support Paradox.... but I'm just baffled.

A) does this activate through Steam as the DLC implies
B) Are the Steam and non-Steam versions incompatible as that one post implies? That would be a PROFOUNDLY stupid engineering decision to make the game incompatible with other players on the same platform based solely on how they purchased the game.
C) Is the Gamersgate version going to even release today or should I request a refund and buy it on Steam due to A & B?

Safferli got it right:

A: The only version available is the Steam version. Some other distributors (like GG) decided to sell that version.
B: The steam and non-steam version are INCOMPATIBLE when it comes to multiplayer since they use completely different technology.
C: GG will give you a code that'll you can then use on Steam as soon as they make Magicka available.

/s

The steam and non-steam version are INCOMPATIBLE when it comes to multiplayer since they use completely different technology.

Sounds like a case for the strategy design pattern ...

In any case, too bad. I was thinking about getting the game (in the non-steam version), since it looks like a fun little game to play with a bunch of friends over the LAN, and suggesting it to them as well, but this means half of us (who don't use Steam) won't be able to play with the other half (who like to use Steam for all of their games), which means there's no point for me to do either.