• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
EU3:Complete. As Norway, I've taken Neva and Ingermanland from the Golden Horde. Both of these have provincial options to join the HRE. So I exercised this option in both provinces, but years have passed and I don't seem to be in the HRE. Do I need to gain them as core provinces before that can happen?

EU3:Complete. As Norway, I've taken Neva and Ingermanland from the Golden Horde. Both of these have provincial options to join the HRE. So I exercised this option in both provinces, but years have passed and I don't seem to be in the HRE. Do I need to gain them as core provinces before that can happen?

To be an HRE member yourself, you need to get your capital into the HRE.

In other words, just keep getting your provinces into the HRE until your capital borders the HRE provinces, then take the provincial decision in your capital.

I am Austria and have no plans at all to colonise, should i bump my naval tech down to say 1 or 1.5 and give the investment elsewhere rather than the 3.8 or is there goo cause for steady investment despite my land only plans?
If you're a landlocked country with no plans to expand overseas, you may as well turn naval research off completely. You'll still get a small amount from your king's stats and the neighbour bonus, so you'll not stay completely stagnant. The only question would be if you think you might change your mind later down the line.

Also the armies of other countries (Aquillia and Bavaria) for example are marching through my country to get to others and I didn't give them military permission and when I look at the options there is a "give access" but no "remove access". Is this a bug?
No, it's not a bug. Countries in the Holy Roman Empire get automatic military access through other HRE countries when they're at war, without having to ask for it. This applies to to you as well, of course. You lose the access once you're at peace, though, which can sometimes lead to armies getting trapped. Be careful.

(You also get access through a country you've been at war with for five years after peace is made, though that might be a new feature in DW rather than being an HttT one.)

@Blastaz

But a colony costs 20d/y to maintain, no? How can you support 10 colonies at 20d a month? I guess you'd need a BIG empire, in which case any tech advisor dwarfs your monthly income/census tax in any case.

So, to recap: He's only worth while if you are a big empire, both in size as well as colonies?

You don't need a big empire. You need a big wallet.
If you play a small Trading country with only 4-5 provinces and you want to build a strong colonial empire. This is the way to do it. You get a lot of money from Trading.
For example Navarra. 1 Province, most likely a vasall of Aragorn. 50% of all your taxes go to Aragorn. But you may keep all the money from Trading. While you have 0 income of Taxes you may get 100+ Ducats each month from trading Maybe even more than 200. With a fast growing colonial empire you will be bigger than every other coutry in europe in no time. Combined with Nat. Bank, Cent and an Inflation reducing advisor (what are they called?) you can mint 25% of your income without problems.

You don't need a big empire. You need a big wallet.
For example Navarra. 1 Province, most likely a vasall of Aragorn. 50% of all your taxes go to Aragorn. But you may keep all the money from Trading. While you have 0 income of Taxes you may get 100+ Ducats each month from trading Maybe even more than 200.

I'm currently playing Holland. It's 1450. I have 5 merchants in all European CoT's (-Lisbon) + Astrakhan + Alexandria +two Africans and I get 60 ducats. I'm leading in Trade Tech and have as NI +10% TE. No way I can have 100d.

Of course you can't. How many colonies can you even reach in 1450?? In 100-150 years you have 5 Merchants in almost every rich CoT on the planet. TE should be twice as high. How much do you get than, when you really can colonize that many colonies?

The junior partner is released and gets a new king if the senior partner is vassalized or annexed. There has been a bug where the PU stays up if the senior partner is completely absorbed by rebel defections (no annexation), but I haven't seen it thus far in DW.
One war later...

11qr8rb.jpg

Do vassals lose the 50% of tax income they give you or is it a bonus you get without their losing anything?

Scenario: I'm a Latin tech country. I annex an Eastern or lower tech country. I then release them as a vassal.

Will the resulting coutry be at the Latin tech group? I've noticed released countries tend to take the state religion and form of government of the releaser, regardless of what religion and government they were originally...

Do vassals lose the 50% of tax income they give you or is it a bonus you get without their losing anything?

I'm pretty sure they don't, otherwise they couldn't get as awesomely advanced as they often do.

Will the resulting coutry be at the Latin tech group? I've noticed released countries tend to take the state religion and form of government of the releaser, regardless of what religion and government they were originally...

Released natives keep their tech group, so I assume the answer is no.

Last edited:
couldn't find this in the wiki. What are the requirements to get the annexation option in a war for EU 3 complete (EU3 + first 2 expansions)? Specifically I have a vassal with 2 provinces, I canceled vassal, declared war, took the two provinces and killed all the armies/navies: 100% victory, but the annex option is grayed out?

couldn't find this in the wiki. What are the requirements to get the annexation option in a war for EU 3 complete (EU3 + first 2 expansions)? Specifically I have a vassal with 2 provinces, I canceled vassal, declared war, took the two provinces and killed all the armies/navies: 100% victory, but the annex option is grayed out?

Is your warscore 100%? Do they have additional territories or colonies?

EDIT: Oops - I have DW on the brain!

Last edited:

You have to reduce them to an OPM before you can annex them.

(Newbie question): If make a small change to a country file, like changing the color or possible monarchs, will this change my checksum and prevent me from playing multiplayer?

If the guys you play with don't have the same changes, yes. I might be wrong, but color or monarchs should change the checksum.