• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey, almost done with the final update in Chapter 36, just for reference, this will be the last chapter where I actually type out Gunvald's speech impediment. I grow weary of it and wearier of all the red squiggles that now cover my word pad. I also fear that I am no able to properly indicate stuttering in such a way that is accurate anyways (especially because I try imaging Jimmy from South Park reading what I have written and then adding stutters where I think he'd put them).

Homelands
Chapter Thirty Six: Black and White
Part 5

Prelude:
Duke Gunvald was left devastated following the murders of his adoptive father and his favorite brother. The Duke took to an isolated existence in Æstlinn, surrounded only by his wife and a few business associates. In Memelgrád King Vishly believed he had won, and in a way he did. Gunvald was discouraged enough to stop pushing his claims for a few years, but he never relinquished them. His allies, however, were anything but defeated. The murder of a fifteen year old boy was seen as unreasonable and the death of Nigul seen as nothing less than a public execution. Duke Gunvald was soon buried under letters and requests from others begging him not to give up. They claimed only time was necessary for their push to make him heir would succeed, but Gunvald had different thoughts on the matter. He feared further pushing would only anger Vishly into further purges, getting more of his allies killed, further hampering his chances of gaining the throne. Prussia was entering a quiet phase, between 1327 and 1335 the nation seemed to slumber quietly as Vishly mopped up a few survivors and continued to push the nation down the path he had chosen, a path which was shaping up to be the end of Prussia as people understood it.

September 24th, 1329

Viba put her hands on Gunvald's shoulders. He shuttered slightly as he picked up their chill feeling. Her hands were always cold, at least to him. He yawned and turned around to see what she wanted. "It is late, my Duke, why do you still sit awake though you are noticeably tired?"

"Th-the rain comforts m-me," Gunvald answered quickly. He reached his arm up and wrapped it around Viba, pushing her stomach against the side of his head. Outside the rain fell quietly. The trees swayed in the wind and all the while the moon was hidden from sight, behind a cloud cover all too familiar in the Baltic. "H-how is Doyvát?"

"Our son sleeps soundly, and good thing too. The maids can only stay up so late." She took Gunvald's arm and tried to pull him upright, but he resisted the motion, instead choosing to remain planted where he was. "What worries you?"

"It is s-sad, b-but I have g-grown to fear th-this city, th-the city I grew up i-in. I w-worry for y-your safety... f-for D-doyvát's safety," Guvnald said, his eyes filled with a sobering dosage of fear.

"Where would you have us go?"

"I d-don't know... my f-father's omnipotence has b-begun to wear me d-down. I f-fear his h-hidden kn-nives more than anything."

"Then we must be brave for your followers. They cannot think that we are fleeing from Vishly's presents. We must prove to them and your father than this reign of evil cannot go on forever. He thinks so right now, but he will not be remembered forever. A time will come when he is remembered, only after a long thought, by only the oldest and most well read historians of them all."

Gunvald nodded solemnly. Outwardly he looked convinced, but within his mind raged with fear and uncertainty. He looked at the statue of Sviendorog, its surface tarnished but the glory of the man it represented still shone through. "W-what am I t-to do, th-then?"

"Build, Gunvald! Build as your ancestors once did. Show the people that you care about them and are more interested in making their lives better and making Prussia better than just mindless self indulgence If the people see your kindness, they will welcome you more readily, rather than deal with more purges." Viba stopped and looked down at the statue, she picked it up and shined it on the sleeve of her shirt, "Do as he once did. Help Prussia avoid the path of war and destruction."

"B-but I will have to f-fight a c-civil war to assert m-my r-rule. Let us n-not lie about i-it, it is in-inevitable. Even if Butovit did not ex-exist, m-my father would r-resist my succession, and I w-would be back at s-square o-one, I can only p-promise so much, Viba, e-eventually war will h-have to h-happen," Gunvald said.

"Then let it be known that it was neither your first choice nor your intent to start a civil war. If your followers trust you, and love you, they will blame instead Vishly, who resisted the voice of the people. Gunvald, my dear, you must trust me when I say there are many who believe you are here to save Prussia."

"I am n-no savior... I was a s-simple child and I w-wished to be a s-simple m-man. I do n-not wish to rule P-prussia as sh-she is. She is t-too b-big, too u-unstable. Though, to b-be honest, I do n-not want to r-rule Prussia at all. It i-is only my f-followers that will it and, b-because I agree m-my f-father is a monster, I pretend to want t-to as well. I am h-happy here, I enjoy m-my life here... w-with you and Doyvát. I w-wish I could live a s-single day f-free of fear," Gunvald said. He hung his head down in a mix of shame and embarrassment.

Viba was silent, it was shocking to hear her husband openly reject the throne, the throne coveted by so many people. "What would you plan to do then?" she asked, almost shocked.

"I w-would divide the E-empire, I would let the s-southern s-states go. Hungary, B-bohemia, Brandenburg, Wallachia, M-mordvia, even D-denmark... it is p-pointless to maintain our r-rule over them if all w-we are g-going to ignore th-them. Do we n-not do the s-same things to them th-that V-vishly does to us? And w-what is w-worse I fear my f-father plans to b-begin expansion again s-soon."

"Expansion? Where?"

"I b-believe he will s-start in Finland, he is g-going to want to r-rattle me up by m-moving the f-fleet and the ar-army close to my c-capital. It is a s-show of f-force both to me and t-to the S-scandinavian countries. W-we will h-have to be on our b-best b-behavior, V-viba. He will be h-here, and h-he will be w-watching, and he w-will be l-listening, and he w-will have an army. Th-this will p-put us in a p-pinch."

Viba frowned. The idea of Vishly so close to Æstlinn did nothing to ease her mind, and it was obvious that it was not helping Gunvald either. "What are we going to do about the Guardsmen in the Knights? Many of them have death sentences on their heads?"

"We will k-keep them out of th-the limelight f-for a w-while. P-plus there are e-enough innocent ones t-to not m-make them m-missed."

"Do you know when you father will be coming?"

"N-no. It c-could b-be next y-year or it could b-be f-five."

End Chapter Thirty Six

Last edited:
To be honest... I also don't like his stuttering 'phonetics' I makes me think of him as too much of a child.
Great as always!

I hate to read that kind of text too, alas.
Even if it might be realistic.

But I have an great idea, nobles in high positions should start having their own Voice-servants. :p
I have read too much Wheel of Time, but I think still that it would fit thy Prussian Empire.
Why have the mighty Emperor declaring his wishes with his divine voice, when he could use some secret Imperial hand-speech to inform his servant what is to be said?
Gunvald would not have to stutter, but use some secret hand-code to inform what he is about to say, and the servant translates it into common speech.

Like in the Celestial Kingdom, why let the Son of the God open his mouth, when someone else can say his opinion aloud?

Vishly marches to Finland?
Let them come, let them freeze.
Welcome to the icy hell.
Yeah, we'll see how long Finland lasts against the might of Prussia. :p

Then in the next book we'll see how long Prussia lasts against winter.

To be honest... I also don't like his stuttering 'phonetics' I makes me think of him as too much of a child.
Great as always!

Then we are in agreement, but he still stutters.

I hate to read that kind of text too, alas.
Even if it might be realistic.

But I have an great idea, nobles in high positions should start having their own Voice-servants. :p
I have read too much Wheel of Time, but I think still that it would fit thy Prussian Empire.
Why have the mighty Emperor declaring his wishes with his divine voice, when he could use some secret Imperial hand-speech to inform his servant what is to be said?
Gunvald would not have to stutter, but use some secret hand-code to inform what he is about to say, and the servant translates it into common speech.

Like in the Celestial Kingdom, why let the Son of the God open his mouth, when someone else can say his opinion aloud?

Interesting, but no. I like my characters talking for themselves.

Voting for the ACA Round 3 has begun! You can find the voting thread here. If you decide to vote for Homelands/Bastions please be sure to for it under CK: Narrative. Thanks for your support and raise awareness for the awards!

Homelands
Chapter Thirty Seven: Cursed Lands
Part 1

Prelude:
In 1335 Vishly grew bored of peace and purges and turned his attention northward, toward Finland. The southern coast of Finland had long been a part of the Prussian Empire, longer than most parts of Poland even. Prussia easily beat the pagan tribes that made up the region and brought the entirety of Finland under Prussian rule. It was the first time Finland had ever been united under a single power. The King made a big deal about being crowned King of Finland, hoping that it would quell any resistance to his rule, something that was on the rise throughout the Empire. In fact, Prussia seemed ready to burst at the seams. Hungarian rulers met in Pest to draft the Treaty of Freedom, proclaiming their intent to peacefully form an independent Hungarian Kingdom. They even suggested allowing Gunvald to become King of Prussia in exchange for him relinquishing his claims to the Prussian throne. This was done completely without Gunvald's consent, but as fate had it Vishly took an easier punishment out on the Hungarians, he quadrupled their taxes and used to extra funds to commission the crown of Finland, later known as the Crown of all Prussians. This crown, made almost entirely of silver and gold, would sit on the heads of all Prussian Kings until the 1700's when a more modern crown was commissioned and replaced the Crown of all Prussians as the Crown of Empire.

1335.png

Prussia with the new lands of Finland highlighted.

October 8th, 1336

Vishly's costly expedition into Finland was reaping no reward, it was obvious to Gunvald that this would probably be the last straw. From his correspondence with many around the Empire, he knew dissatisfaction was at an all time high. Finland was a burden and attempting to rule the entire region from just the southern coast was proving heavily reliant on the co-operation of the native pagans. The pagans themselves we also at an all-time low. The great alliances that had held off the Swedes and Norse had all dissolved. Now infighting was ruining any hope of actively resisting the Prussians. Missionaries competed for their attention, soon Orthodoxy and Norse Rites, even Islam began to creep into Europe's last frontier.

Gunvald played no small role in the colonization. His company supplied the new Prussian colonies along the northern Baltic coast. His father could do little as without the support of the Æstlinn traders and merchants his venture would completely implode. Gunvald knew this, and used it to his advantage, trying to forge at least some understanding with his father.

"I do not understand why you bother trying to reconcile with that monster, Gunvald. He killed your father and he killed your brother. When will it end? When will you see that he must be slain and it must be now?" Viba said. She stood over Gunvald as the Duke wrote a letter to his father giving the conditions of the colonies and recent shipments.

"Viba, no one has seen how monstrous he really is better than I have. But he is King now, and if I am to subvert his rule, it is easier to topple him if the proverbial lever is under his throne," he looked back at her and smiled. "I am not giving up, only lying low. Plus he is paying me, so we are still winning in a way. His gold pays for our lifestyle and for the safety of the Knights. Soon it will fund the armies that will bring him down."

"Hmm, well then... you seem to have a plan, plan on sharing it?"

"I would if I had one. Right now I am worried about living past tonight." Gunvald chuckled at the bleak truth of his situation. "I feel like the fox that the hunters let go so that there will be foxes next year. One day there will be other foxes so I will get my turn too."

"Do you think I do not going through the same worry? The same fear of death?"

"I do not doubt it, but I also never ask you to stretch your neck out any further than you are comfortable with."

Viba's face twisted in anger, "Will you sit here petrified in fear forever? Forever living off the blight's coin?"

"We are not ready, and fortunately we have had some peace from the blight, as you've put it. We must take advantage of peace when we have it, and give him hell when he gives us hell."

"You will wait for him to make the first move?"

"I will wait for when I am ready, not a moment sooner or later... we have too many people just bristling with anger to let go. What will happen when one of them inevitably makes a stupid decision to start the war without the rest? They will be slaughtered and we will have one less ally."

"You say that as if you have an example to provide," Viba said in a haughty voice.

"I do," Gunvald said grabbing a parchment and turning around to face Viba completely. He handed her the letter and let her read it. He stood up and waited to see a reaction in her face.

"What do you think will happen?"

" What do you think will happen? He will die. He will be impaled faster than you think, and soon a new round of impalings will start centered on Wien and expanding out into Hungary and Bohemia."

"So is that not the time to strike?"

"No, it is not. Because it is not on our terms. It is on my father's. He will choose when the blade falls. Given he probably already knows about it, it could be tomorrow, a week from now or a year from now. But we can't just wait for it, we will be disorganized and we will lose. We will strike when I am ready, on my word, and not a moment sooner. Let the anger in the people boil, Viba... the longer they simmer, the more allies and sympathy we will have... that is what I am waiting for. Sympathy. Sympathy from the nobles of the Empire. Not just a few dissatisfied Princes in Hungary. Not just a few knights who miss the days of old."

"So you do have a plan." Viba said.

"No, just an idea."

"It sounds like me like you have a plan."

"There is no plan, Viba, I am sorry. I will get to that in time, when I need to. Not a moment sooner."

"How many will have to die while you wait, Gunvald?"

"I hate to say it, but more. Their blood is the blood of martyrs, and with that as fuel, I shall fuel the flames of civil war and in a single stroke I shall remove my father from the throne. And when I do so, Prussia can finally move forward, and so can much of Europe. I plan to free ourselves from the burden of Empire. From the burden of ruling over so many who are so unlike us in every way."

"So you really do plan to take over and divide the Empire."

"I do, and I will. But I will have to pay for it.... and I will."

Wait, what?!

That boy speaks heresy! Releasing Wallachia? Releasing Branderburg and Bohemia? And above all, releasing Mordvia?! Half of the empire because he doesn't feel like ruling? What a wimp!
I needed something for Book 2! Remember, this is not a WC and the next three chapters (37, 38 , 39) will prove Prussia is not as united as it seems.

Actually, it wasn't as hard as you think. By this point in the game I had a Prince revolting literally every month. Fully 4/5s of them had the rebellious trait and it was approaching unplayable. In EUIII, I was very happy to shrink the Empire a bit.

Now I hope Gunvald won't succeed, Empires must not be broken, that means just more war. Unless feudalism is forgotten and democracies can be set to govern locally.

Homelands
Chapter Thirty Seven: Cursed Lands
Part 2

Prelude:
Phillip of Austria, installed as Duke of that region by King Vishly, was impaled for attempting to start a revolt in the south-western corner of the Empire. Gunvald's followers were once again on the run or in hiding. The brutality of the Forth Impaling gave insight into the condition of the King and his followers. Unlike the precise, fear inducing attacks of the past, Vishly's more recent work was sloppy, random and lacked the sense of precision of previous incarnations. It might have instilled more fear in the populace, but they felt a certain weakening in the King's grip on reality and his grip on the throne. His allies ceased to exist, victims of paranoia or a sudden strike of common sense. Those who were not killed, quickly left the court, attempting to take up diplomatic positions abroad. Meanwhile, Butovit was proving himself to be much of the same. He lashed out against his maids, his guards, his own court. A violent and wicked boy, he had no friends, only a few who were too frightened not to pretend to enjoy his company. Word eventually leaked that he had three bastard children, all the result of his sexual assault on his maids. Vishly simply brushed the charges (as well as the maids and their children) off the table and into a trash bin. Terror gripped much of Prussia as they began to fear for the worse, that Gunvald was not going to be the savior they needed.

December 18th, 1337

On a cold December night a small caravan passed through the foothills surrounding Vienna. The chill night was silent and a light snow blew amongst the wheels and feet of the caravan, which slowly made its way around tight and twisting roads. The people that stood around the wagons wore block hoods over their armor, and the occupants wore the hoods over their finery. The stench of death lingered over the lead car. In the second car sat a regal figure, his face bundled against the cold, beside him sat a small boy, perhaps ten, and a young woman, her skin a shade darker than his. Not a single word was spoken, everyone remained silent and in a state of mourning. Every now and then the wind would pick up, or a wagon cover would flap, or a person would cough and break the silence. Even the children understood the gravity of the situation and were still.

The caravan passed a few wolves as they rested by the side of the road. Their pack was well fed and only watched as the people passed by, the male howled, tipping his head back and sitting on all fours. Eventually the caravan left the side of the foothills and entered a forest, further encasing the darkness around the occupants. Amongst the trees the people were sheltered from the wind and snow, but now around them began to emerge the bodies of the recently impaled and dumped. The caravan stopped and the soldiers began to pick up the frozen bodies, and piling them in the trailing cars. The caravan continued, slowly, so that the soldiers could keep grabbing bodies. After the forest was cleared, the group picked up speed again, headed out of Austria and into Hungary.

By dawn they were in Hungary, and by night fall they were entering Pest. There a mausoleum had been constructed, originally for the Fraternal dead of the civil war, now opened for the dead of Vishly's Fourth Impaling. Gunvald stepped out of the second wagon and helped his guards remove the casket of Phillip of Austria.

"May I see the deceased?" asked the head priest at the mausoleum, "I wish to give him his last rites and bless the body."

"There is little left to be blessed, father, and for the sake of the children I ask that our friend Phillip remain in the box, so that we can regard him as he looked in life... not in death," Gunvald said. But he did stop so that the priest could bless the casket and its contents.

"I guess martyrs have little need for the blessing of mere mortals."

"I guess not," Gunvald replied, picket the box up again and continuing into the depths of the mausoleum. Beside him walked Doyvát and Viba, both wearing black for mourning. Behind them the dead were loaded into caskets, blessed and carried down into the depths with a silent efficiency. Many of Gunvald's allies gathered in Pest. They too commemorated the death of Phillip, but also began to shift to more serious talk of rebellion and war.

"How much longer must we wait, Gunvald? Shall we wait for Butovit to sit on the throne, or maybe his son?" asked the Prince of Moldavia. The Bessarabian Princes all nodded, the Hungarians voiced their agreement.

"My father's strength falters. If we struck tomorrow, he'd be weaker than he is today. But if we strike next week, he'd be seven times weaker then he will be tomorrow."

"What are you saying?"

"We strike soon, but we need time to organize. That is our biggest weakness, and the biggest weakness of the Fraternal Rebellion... weakness. We need to train professional soldiers. We need to plan attacks and strategies. We need to cement control over important cities and principalities. The war starts now, but it starts domestically... we must cement our own authority in our lands."

"And when shall we cross swords with your father?"

"Five years," Gunvald said. It was the first time he had ever given a timeline, and people looked unhappy,

"Two years," the lead Prince said, "we cannot keep pushing this off."

"Fine," Gunvald said, "we are to begin in the spring of 1340. Is that soon enough? Two and a half years?"

"That will work," the Prince said. "What do you suggest we do until then?"

"Train your armies. We cannot rely on levies. We cannot rely on small groups of armored knights. The key is professional soldiers."

"You ask us to forget our roots?"

"I ask you to try to last longer than last time. The time of levies and knights is past us, the time for professional soldiers is here, it is now. If we do not update ourselves, we will lose. We will lose just as you lost last time... and I fear there will not be a third try. We must topple my father this time, or we have failed."

"And if we fail to topple him?"

"We will take what we can get... even if it is just Hungary or the Carpathians... we must not lose everything. Prussia grows weak, she is too big, too fat, too hungry... she will collapse soon enough," Gunvald said, his eyes never wavering, showing the strength in his beliefs that his voice could not.

"We've heard your plans to divide the Empire... how far will you go?"

"All the way. I would cleave even Poland from Prussia."

"And afterwards? What are we to do afterwards?"

"Afterwards you are no longer my vassals. You will do nothing but what common sense dictates to you. Though we should all try to remain allies so that we can resist the Caliph and the Romans if need be."

"You fear the Romans would invade the southern states?"

"I do, but to be honest... the point would be making it so it isn't my problem."

BreakUp.png

Gunvald's first plan for Prussia after his father's toppling.

Poland is a little too much really. Those lands are almost prussian by now and he cut off too much already.

Actually we get to hear a bit about Poland in the next update, basically it is made into a Grand Duchy ruled by the heir of Prussia in union with Prussia itself.