• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Alexspeed

Art - Games - History
202 Badges
Sep 18, 2005
steamcommunity.com
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Galactic Assault
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Iron Cross
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • Legio
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Ancient Space
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
Okay I am not good at writing Guides, but I guess this is helpfull Info thats hard to come by eventually, so I summed all I know up in this small text.
Its was originally from THIS THREAD, but it grew to be this thread now =)

Beware, I am still a beginner when it comes to modding M&B,
but if I can do it you should have no problems at all :D
If you find any errors or know how to do it better, feel free to correct me.

This should work for "Mount & Blade" and also for "Mount & Blade Warband"

-------------------------

So you want to make your own Banner and put it into your Game, please read along:

First the Links where I gathered the info, kudos to all these helpfull pepole who done it before and wrote it down =)

- Better Banners Mod (helpfull info throughout the thread)
- Banner and Flag Standardization Pack (essential Information and tools)
- Banner Making Tutorial (very helpfull and detailed)
- Requests for custom banners (quite some info on the whole thread)

1.) Setting up your Moddirectory:

First step is the basis, download the "Banner and Flag Standardization Pack" and the "Better Banner Mod"
The way I have done it was installing the "Better Banners mod" (thereby creating my "Native modded"-Folder),
and then changing just one of the included flags to be mine, because I wanted to get those flags anyway.

If you want your own Flags without the "Better Banners Mod", its quite similar, just use the files from the
"Banner and Flag Standardization Pack" instead of the "Better Banner Mod".

The installation is easy and not very complicated, just follow the readmes that are included with those Mods.
Its basically copying files to the propper folders and changing one textfile in your moddirectory.

For installation of this (or all) mods here a helpfull advice I found on the Taleworlds forum:
MarkQuinn said:
(...), what I'm doing is adding all my modded content to a new module called "Native Revised". You can do the same thing. Just copy your entire "Native" folder and paste it in the same modules directory. You can name it anything you want. Apply all your mods to THAT module only, and chose to run it from the Warband splash screen. This leaves you with a pristine Native module which is helpful in case you ever mess something up and want to get a file from it.

In any case, like I say, until TaleWorlds settles on a long term patch, I'm just adding my content to my Native Revised mod. When a new patch is released, I make a new "Native Revised" and re-add all my content. Just go ahead, make a new module, add this banner pack to it, and then when a new patch is released, do it all over again. Hopefully they won't take as long to work out all the bugs (as I fear), and we won't have to do this stuff over and over again.

2.) The creation of your Flag:

Thats very easy, get a Template from the "Banner and Flag Standardization Pack" (or from the Tutorial thread) and edit it to be your flag.
I did that, and everything else in Photoshop. (much info on how to do that, in the Tutorial again, that I linked at the beginning)

I dont want to get into details of how to create your Flag, because everyone who has basic Photoshop skills can make a Flag to his liking.
If you have a propper image you can just copy it in the template and youre as good as done.
When you use the Template and Tutorial, you should be able to make one, even if you never worked with a graphic program before.
In the worst case you could use the Request Thread I linked, to request your Banner to be made for you from someone who can.

16a3ymh.jpg

The result was the finished flag, but the harder part was getting it into the game.
It seems the game is mirroring the Flag you create, (at least it is mirroring mine) so take that into account when creating it.

3: Getting the Flag into the Game:

For that I went into my Games Mod directory (where I also installed the Better Banners Mod):
"... \Mount&Blade\Modules\Native modded"
then to the "\Textures"-Folder in there,
and finally I choose the file "std_banners_f.dds" (dosent matter which one you choose) and opened it in Photoshop.

You need a Nvidia Plugin to be able to do that, easy to get HERE.
If you dont have PS, you can also use Gimp and the DDS converter, details on that in the "Banner Making Tutorial" I linked at the begining.

Now you have the file open, open also your edited Flag-File and then just copy it and paste it into the Banner-File,
then move and resize it over the flag you want to replace (if necessary), be carefull not to cover up the black space around the flag.

Next you have to flatten the image (merge the layers) and then you save it again as a DDS file (save as..).
Be sure to include alpha channels, the dds-Format that works is DXT3 in the nvidia save popup.

There you go, almost done, put your edited File into the "\Textures"-Folder, and now its ready to be in the game.
But what when you want to keep your savegames and dont want to start from scratch, here comes the answer.

4.) Getting your new Flag into an old Savegame:

If your savegames are from a time before you created the "\Native modded" -Folder,
you have to go to "C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAME\My Documents\Mount&Blade Savegames",
and there copy the "Native"-Folder, and rename it to "Native modded", so your savegames are aviable to the new moddirectory too.

There are 2 ways how to get your newly created Flag in your old Save.

Go to your "...\Modules\Native modded" -Folder, there you find a file called: "menus.txt",
open it with Notepad, and search for the entry:

mno_action_modify_banner 1 31 2 144115188075856163 1 {!}Cheat:_Modify_your_banner

change the red marked 1 to a 0 and then save the file.
Thats the first and permanent way. (the option to change Flag will be allways aviable)

Then simply start the game, choose in the dropdown at the beginning the "Native modded"-entry, load up your save game.
There you allready see that it worked and you have the new Flags from the Better Banners Mod. (if you used that Mod)
To change your own Flag now to the one you created, just select "camp", and "take an action" and you will seee an option to "choose your banner" (thats why we edited "menus.txt").

-----------------------------------

EDIT: A alternative second way to get the same result here, thank you montfort94.
On another note, you can just press "Ctrl+~" and type in the console "cheatmenu" and then in "Camp" there will be an option to change your banner.
Then bring up the console again, and type "nocheatmenu" to get rid of the cheat menu.

-----------------------------------

Either way, just "choose your banner" in the "Camp"-Menue, select your Banner, and smile :D

wric11.jpg

If you have allready other Mods running you have of course to implement all this to their respective Modfolder, instead of creating your own "Native modded" folder.

And dont forget to allways Back up your Native Folder & any File you change, in case something went wrong

Okay that was it, thats how I got it done, hope you can make reason to it all, if you have further Questions just ask. :)

Last edited:
Pretty good!

On another note, you can just press Ctrl+~ and type in the console "cheatmenu" and then in "Camp" there will be an option to change your banner. Then bring up the console, and type "nocheatmenu" to get rid of the cheat menu. Some people find that easier then modifying text files.

@montfort94:
Thanks, i wasnt aware of the cheat menue, thats also a easy way to get it, glad you told me =)
I personally dont like paint.net, but youre right with it, its also an alternative like Gimp :)

@Monnikje:
Thank you, glad you like it, i hope you will suceed in importing your flag =)

I am not sure it is "sticky-worthy" (did i just create a word? oops :D ).

Its just a gathering of links with some write up to explain the process, and its not really well structured i think.

And also, there arent that many threads in this subforum jet that it could drown in other threads and get lost (at least not jet), so i guess leaving it unstickied is just fine, but if you insist to stick it, then thats fine with me too :)

Edit: I expanded and restructured it all a bit, its better now i think =)

Last edited:
Well, I went and capitalized every "i" I found in the Guide, but was that really necessary?
I thought it dosent matter if you write it upper- or lowercase, unless its at the beginning of a Sentence of course. :confused:

But maybe i am wrong with that, english is just my second language, so excuse any errors please, i have a habbit of writing everything lowercase on the net anyhow. :D

Ah yes, "I" is always capitalized for some weird reason that no one knows. Except, of course, in the middle of a word. It just makes things look neater I suppose. :?

And it works, many thanks :).

A sidenote: When I replaced the banner I was using in my game by a custom one, it automatically changed in game. So getting it working was actually a lot easier than I had anticipated.

Ah yes, "I" is always capitalized for some weird reason that no one knows. Except, of course, in the middle of a word. It just makes things look neater I suppose. :?

And "all" has two L:s, but "always" has just one.

But I agree that this should be sticky by now. Not necessarily because it will disappear in the crowd, but because in a month it will disappear from the standard view, and one will have to go looking for it.

@Monnikje:
Glad you got it working, makes me feel like I spent my time writing worthwile =)

@Nikolai II:
Ah the standard view, I always use the setting that lets me see all posts from the beginning. Thank you for stickying it :)

can other play see my own flag online too ?

As far as i know (i havent played MP myself jet), no they dont, because they dont have the changed flagfile you have in your directory.

There are tough, flagfiles for clans aviable in the Taleworlds forums, so the clans can download these and install them and then see their banners in multiplayer matches.

I think the existing styles of heraldry available aren't too bad. But the colour choices for many are quite hideous. Rather than using a 3rd party programme to create your own heraldry, I'd like a mod that simply enabled you to change the main and secondry colour of the existing heraldry available in native. I would imagine such a mod would be quite straight forward?

Thanks Nikolai =)

Also, please take into account, if you try to use the guide, that it was made about 3 years ago,
alot could have changed since then with the game through patches and updates.