• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 4 - March to Sicilia

541 April

The nomad tribe of Ausci managed to occupy the diminishing province of Trinovantes. As no one is interested in this almost abandoned lost guard post in the north, we wisely decided to accept the Ausci as clients under our protection. Our new capital is the highly civilized Massilia now, what have formally brought us to the prestigious club of the most civilized nations. We are the undisputed cultural leaders of the celtic world and it becomes our sacred duty to bring the blessing to our less developed kinfolk. Even the Greeks of Massilia are accepting our ways of druidic religion and forging family alliances by marriages of their daughters to our nobles.

Our empty treasury has been filled almost magically by those who gained renewed trust in our leadership. We are going to put good use to these funds by constructing some new ships for our soon to be illustrious fleet.

attachment.php

542 January

Our Italian campain continues exceptionaly well. We blitzed through the peninsula, taking most of the provinces by a quick siege. Even the rich city of Rome is now under our occupation. The pressure on the Romans has been such unbearable that they have been forced to sign peace treaty with the Carthaginians thus losing the so called 2nd Punic War effectively. This gives the Romans some refuge, as we haven't fleet strong enough to carry an invasion to the islands of Corsica and Malta. At least we are able to send our armies to Panormus thanks to the treaty we signed with the Republic of Syracusae. The Roman fleet foolishly havent intercepted our column traversing the straits of Messina.

attachment.php

542 August

The last remaining standing Roman army has finally arrived from Macedonia. To our amusement it was formed completely of mercenaries, who were totally demoralized and decimated by the attrition they suffered after marching through the wastes of Dalmatia. They were quickly wiped out, save for a few horsemen, who are now running from province to province desperatedly. So impresive and devastating are our advances that Rome has already started begging for peace, but it's not the time yet.

attachment.php

543 May

Our fleet still has some difficulties to sink the remaining roman triremes, so we will need to invest more gold in our ships. Our high ranked generals and admirals have been quite efficient in gathering valuables recently. They kinda resent I grabbed most of the spoils for our state coffers but it's a necessary move to be able supply our growing army and fleet.

attachment.php

544 February

Finally we control the islands of Malta and Corsica as well as half of Sicily and Rome is at its knees. Illyria takes the chance and occupies the provinces in Macedonia. What is even worse for the Romans, barbarians from all corners are banding together to plunder the rich provinces of Italia. And we are not going to prevent them from it, are we? They are our relatives, after all ... uncivilized, but of celtic stock, following the paths of Druidism.

We are clearly winning this conflict, but our reserves of able bodied men to supply our armies are dwindling. We need to find a solution to this problem if we want to maintain our superiority.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 16-0-ausci_client_trinovantes_broke.jpg
    16-0-ausci_client_trinovantes_broke.jpg
    90,1 KB · Views: 1.599
  • 16-2-9-1-542_end_of_2nPW.jpg
    16-2-9-1-542_end_of_2nPW.jpg
    138,2 KB · Views: 1.601
  • 16-3-11-8-542_rome_sues_peace.jpg
    16-3-11-8-542_rome_sues_peace.jpg
    144,6 KB · Views: 1.619
  • 16-4-14-2-544_control_of_Romans.jpg
    16-4-14-2-544_control_of_Romans.jpg
    135,9 KB · Views: 1.619
  • 16-5_cash_events.jpg
    16-5_cash_events.jpg
    115,3 KB · Views: 1.592
Last edited:
Great work. How much of Italy are you gaining in the peace deal?

I doubt the other Western Mediterranean superpower will be as easily defeated as Rome!

I think republics ruled by a military faction ruler have the best chance against tribes. The other regimes havent the necessary morale and land organisation ratings of their armies.

Great work. How much of Italy are you gaining in the peace deal?

Italy is waiting for the coming barbarian hordes to take their plunder, so I am not going to make the peace yet (the screenshot with the warscore popup is for illustration). But I am going to demand all the islands for sure, so I dont have to conquer them again.

Chapter 5 - Celtic Champions

544 October

Our obvious right to bring the light of civilization to our less developed celtic relatives have helped our decision to bless the tribes of Gallia with annexation into our realm. Their warriors will join our armies on their path to glory and their common folk will profit greatly from our civilized administration.

Our Galic campaign is widely approved in our country and we decide the tribes of Arveni and Lemovices will be granted the honour to be the first to join our prosperity. Their reactionary chieftains tried to mount some resistance but they were routed quickly and the people welcome us as their champions.

In the meantime barbarian hordes advance through the Italia and unfortunately a big band of Salluvii tribe managed to trample our capital of Massilia by surprise. Our cohorts were occupied in Gallia and we weren't able to react in time to this danger. Massilia was plundered and shipyard with 4 triremes in construction burned. Also the trade routes were disrupted and now we lack the supply of wood to build more ships.

attachment.php

546 April

Our beautiful ride through Gallia under my able command continues and the tribes of Carnutes, Sequanes, Helvetii, Nervii and Aulerci have happily joined our realm. Italy is devastated by barbarians and the tribe of Ambiani even managed to conquer Rome and declared independence there. I decided that the Romans suffered enough ... for now. With great relief they accepted the peace we offered and we now rightfully own the provinces of Gallia Cisalpina, Picenum and Panormus. We also extended our cotrol of the sea by taking the islands of Malta and Corsica.

attachment.php

546 July

The tribe of Ambiani somehow contested our leadership of the celtic world, as they considered themselves more civilized and and their ownership of Rome was used to suppord their claims. Powerful faction persuaded our chieftainess to take them by a surprise attack. Our kinfolk somehow disapproved that move, but the illustrious city of Rome is now an integral part of our patrimony.

attachment.php

547 March

The conquest of Gallia is finished with the Atrebates and Eburones under our rule. We also created our first colony of Liguria, a wise move which finally provides us with steady supply of wood to produce more ships for our fleet and more bows and javelins for our army.

attachment.php

Our beloved chieftainess proved her finesse when dealing with the matters of druidic worship recently. Also one of our generals secured an impressive boost to our treasury by beating a barbarian warband in Italy and seizing their looted spoils.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 17-1-10-10-544_gaul_campaign_starts.jpg
    17-1-10-10-544_gaul_campaign_starts.jpg
    128,4 KB · Views: 1.554
  • 17-2-16-4-546_peace_rome.jpg
    17-2-16-4-546_peace_rome.jpg
    130,7 KB · Views: 1.551
  • 17-3-rome_captured.jpg
    17-3-rome_captured.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1.543
  • 17-4_conquest_of_Gallia.jpg
    17-4_conquest_of_Gallia.jpg
    140,4 KB · Views: 1.549
  • 17-5-neglected_barbies.jpg
    17-5-neglected_barbies.jpg
    72,4 KB · Views: 1.541
Last edited:
My god! You smashed Rome, waltzed through Gaul saying "Mine! Mine! Mine!" and you conquered Massilia! Odd looking Empire though, 1 Province in Britain, a bunch in Gaul, one in Italy, and some islands in the Medditeranian. Nice job, maybe Rome should lose more provinces? :D Or go for Seubi, or contest Carthage's claim to Hispania.

My god! You smashed Rome, waltzed through Gaul saying "Mine! Mine! Mine!" and you conquered Massilia! Odd looking Empire though, 1 Province in Britain, a bunch in Gaul, one in Italy, and some islands in the Medditeranian. Nice job, maybe Rome should lose more provinces? :D Or go for Seubi, or contest Carthage's claim to Hispania.

This shows how great the tribal nations are when you want to go on a conquering spree. The land army morale and organization can be hardly matched by any AI country. Once you secure enough manpower to raise 15k army of heavies and archers you cut through your enemies like a hot knife through a piece of butter:D

Just for clarification, I have no longer land possesion in Britannia, as I allowed the Ausci tribe to settle as my clients there, in the province of Trinovantes. It also forced the relocation of my capital to Massilia, what provided me with enough civilization score to declare war on all the tribes of Gallia without the -2 stability penalty for no CB.

In hundred years you will be the only nation left if you proceed with the current tempo. :cool:

But that would be kinda boring, I just love to play with my pawns made of pet states ;) Also this campaign primary objective is going to be achieved in no time ... writing the final part already .... so I am going to close it ... well, unless a new interesting objective appears:D

Chapter 6 - Sovereign of Rome

550 January

The past two years have been in sign of consolidation of our domain. There are many rebellious elements unwilling to accept the blessing of our enlightened rule which need to be crushed by force. We found cavalry supported by horse archers extremely efficient for the necessary peacekeeping. Our navy grows stronger and stronger, soon the Mediterannean see will bow before our power. The Carthaginians are kind of a thorn in our heel in this matter though.

The Romans suffer greatly. They were unable to sign peace with Illyria yet and Carthage started a new war with them, occupying their northern provinces. Also the tribe of Veliocasses created an autonomous enclave in Umbria.

We visited Britannia again and forced Siluri to pay our tribute for our benevolent protection. Our further plans include annexing Syracusae and Veliocasses, as they are both too weak to survive without our guidance. Great news are heard from our general Sinatus, who finally dispatched the brigands of Salluvii and freed them of their bounty. I am pleased the decorated weed pipe they stole from my Massilian mansion few years ago has been found in great shape and ready to puff.

attachment.php

550 November

The times of Massilia as our capital are over. This pleasant resort embodies lavish lifestyle of luxury, opulent banquets and decadent beach parties. What we need now is a capital which represents power, stability and prosperity. It's clear that Rome must become the new centre of administration and seat of goverment, but the playboys of Massilia just don't want to move to the kinda uniform palaces of Rome. My distant cousin, chief of Bletonessi tribe, agreed to help me with this issue a little.

After a successful campaign in Sicila, which brought Syracusae under our rule, I command our siege of Umbria. The city is about to fall any day from now and folk Veliocasses is going to be embraced to our big celtic family.

attachment.php

550 November ... later

The walls of our new capital are decorated with flying banners as our victorious chieftainess Aife Correid marches through the Umbrian gate in an amazing triumph. Accompanied by the honour guard and cheered by nobles and common folk alike she arrives the Forum. The High Druid decorates her with a laurel wreath and she is proclaimed the Sovereign of Rome for now and ever. Epic times we live in, for sure.

attachment.php

Our glorious capital of Rome, centre of the celtic world.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 18-1-30-1-550_barbarian_bounty_823.jpg
    18-1-30-1-550_barbarian_bounty_823.jpg
    133,6 KB · Views: 1.521
  • 18-2-8-11-550_bletonessi_client_in_massilia.jpg
    18-2-8-11-550_bletonessi_client_in_massilia.jpg
    142,4 KB · Views: 1.509
  • 18-3-28-11-550_rome_is_our_capital.jpg
    18-3-28-11-550_rome_is_our_capital.jpg
    143,2 KB · Views: 1.773
  • 18-4-stats_of_rome.jpg
    18-4-stats_of_rome.jpg
    99,5 KB · Views: 1.504
Last edited:
As the objective of turning Rome into our capital has been reached in 15 years I declare this game to be an Epic Win :D

Closing stats (as of 1st Jan 551).

Provinces: 19

Population: 250.6
Citizens: 41.3 (16.5%)
Freemen: 130.2 (51.9%)
Slaves: 79.0 (31.5%)​
Stability: -1

Treasury: 792 gold
Monthly balance: 2.61
Taxation: 2.97
Trade: 1.13
Tributes: 0.19
Army maint.: -1.44
Fleet maint.: -0.25​

Manpower: 12,068, maximum: 114k, monthly: 961

Army: 46 cohorts
Militia: 2
Archers: 8
Heavy Infantry: 21
Cavalry: 11
Horse Archers: 4​

Fleet: 13 Triremes

War Exhaustion: 9.93 :wacko:
Infamy: 20.8
Tyranny: 0.0

attachment.php

Attachments

• Map_Jan_551.jpg
    Map_Jan_551.jpg
    42,1 KB · Views: 1.519
Last edited:
Closing stats? :eek:

Please colonize all of Gaul and throw the Phoenicians back into Phoenicia!
They are atm spending their time in the wrong end of the Mediterranean. :D

Closing stats? :eek:

Please colonize all of Gaul and throw the Phoenicians back into Phoenicia!
They are atm spending their time in the wrong end of the Mediterranean. :D

Hmm, maybe I can try for a new objective ... something like make Carthago, Egypt and Seleucids tributaries in 25 years. Well, but its kinda straightforward, something more intriguing would be more approriate ;) Will think about it and will welcome any crazy ideas ;)

Cool AAR. Good to see how you managed to crush Rome. Nicely done!

I almost forgot to add the figures for the city of Rome itself, which are also interesting stats.

attachment.php

Great AAR Achab and a nice demonstration of your point. Could you do the same against the Seleucids as Colchis at the start of the game? :D

This shows how great the tribal nations are when you want to go on a conquering spree. The land army morale and organization can be hardly matched by any AI country. Once you secure enough manpower to raise 15k army of heavies and archers you cut through your enemies like a hot knife through a piece of butter:D

Are you saying that tribes have land army morale and organisation bonus?

Or do you mean via the choice of National Ideas?

Amazing AAR Achab! Though turning the Mediterranean into Mare Nostrum would be fun to watch, preferably starting with the Seleucids. :D

Even if you don't continue the AAR, are you going to continue the game?

Great AAR Achab and a nice demonstration of your point. Could you do the same against the Seleucids as Colchis at the start of the game? :D

Are you saying that tribes have land army morale and organisation bonus?

Or do you mean via the choice of National Ideas?

The morale bonus comes mainly from:
1) Law "Retreat is Dishonour", which gives +0.50 morale. In addition it delays your army retreat, what is really useful during sieges. You often see your army continuing the assault at morale 0 for several days until the city is conquered.
2) Option "Stick to the Old Ways" selected during the "At the Crossroad" event, which last for two years until your capital is civilization>=55 and fires almost immediately again when the effect wears off. It gives another +0.50 morale.
3) From your chieftain's martial stat, what can be also pretty high as is quite easy to handpick your ruler as one or two province country. Another +0.50 morale is not unusual.

You can check the morale comparision with Rome on this screenie: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23512

The land organization bonus comes from:
1) Law "Our ways are best", which gives whopping +40% land organisation.
2) Your Land Tech official's martial, which can you also bring to high numbers.
You usually have so high land organisation that you recover half of your morale in a month. With the morale rating you have it usually means you surpass your enemy even if you lost a battle with them last month.

Amazing AAR Achab! Though turning the Mediterranean into Mare Nostrum would be fun to watch, preferably starting with the Seleucids. :D

Even if you don't continue the AAR, are you going to continue the game?

I gave it another 10 years of gameplay just for fun, where I taken the rest of Italy safe for Apulia from Romans and the Lybian coast of Africa from Carthaginians. Although there was a lot of battles and stuff I would find the related AAR kinda uneventful :( I also formed a republic at the end, so it wasnt a tribal game any longer. The incredible stability expenses are probably the limits for any tribe with a mediterannean wide domain.

Last edited: