• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

A year that will live in the minds of Americans and Bretons alike forever.

The Dominion of Canada had positioned a full division of its soldiers in New York prior to the war, foreseeing possible trouble. They feared no US state militias or policemen. They were Canadians. They were the descendants of the British. What could foolish Yanks do to them?

The units in New York prepared to move out towards New York City, following the pattern of the Dominion War. They laughed and joked among themselves about how they would thrash the Yanks and return home heroes.

Wrong. So wrong.

General John Pershing's 1st Army, containing 120,000 men of the United States "police" slammed into the Canadians like a freight train. supporting his attack were 80,000 men of 2nd Army, formerly commanded by MacArthur, the genius of the Freedom War battle plan, who was now on a top-secret attache mission. The Canadians melted away like smoke in the breeze.

Pershing quickly seized Ottawa, the city where America had been forced to sign the Dominion War peace. 2nd Army looped past him for Montreal. General Wise bulldozed out of Maine with 90,000 men aiming for Quebec City. Other United States forces seized all of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia within weeks.

The Canadians, desperate to regain control of the war, did two things. the first was to send a frantic plea to Britain for reinforcements. The second was to take their troops in the west and launch assaults into the suspiciously quiet states of Montana, Washington, Idaho, North Dakota and Minnesota. The Canadian troops penetrated ten miles into the States facing only scattered opposition. They began to grow confident.

Then they ran into the Custer Line.

Stretching from the Great Lakes all the way to the Pacific coast, the Custer Line had been named in honor of the fallen war hero, and built for just such a case as this. almost 15 divisions of US state militias garrisoned the line, protecting the western United States from any assault.

Meanwhile, London decided to execute three operations simultaneously. A transport fleet would take men and material from the Home Islands to reinforce Quebec against America. Simultaneously, the Royal Navy would ferry men from Britain's Indian satellites to attack the West Coast - as well as carrying Royal Marines to attack the East. Surly America would crumble under the onslaught!

Wrong again.

The invasion of the West Coast ran into a little snag - 60,000 men of the Californian and Oregon militias organized in two mobile commands. Both the UK landing at San Diego and the slightly later one at Portland were completely shattered. With that the eye of the world turned to the reinforcement of Canada.

Britain was at this time embroiled in a colonial conflict with the French, who became very pro-US during this time. The press in the only neutral Great Powers - the CSA, Japan, Germany, Russia and Italy - reported that the US Coast Guard had left its bases in Norfolk, Annapolis and New York to meet the Royal Navy. The British laughed. What could Coast Guard ships do to them? Britannia?

You would have thought they'd learned.

The UK transport fleet was hit sixty miles outside of Riviere-du-Loup by a US fleet consisting of fifteen fully modernized cruisers and four battleships, protected by flotillas of Destroyers and torpedo boats. The transport fleet shattered. Only two battalions worth of British soldiers made it into Riviere-du-Loup - just in time to be steamrolled by General Wise.

The UK landings on the US east coast met with great success. the Delaware State Militia repulsed two successive Royal Marine forces - but the Maryland militia was forced to withdraw into Pennsylvania under pressure from 170,000 British soldiers. Washington fell.

However, even with the US withdrawals from Maryland and Delaware, Pennsylvania was not breached, and the enemy was contained before a breakout into West Virginia occurred. As the year 1914 drew to a close, the world held its breath, waiting for what 1915 would bring.

Whatever else - it would bring war.

amazing. canad is on its knees, the west coast and western border is secure, and the east coast landing is contained. any chance you remember how many troops britain had at this time?

amazing. canad is on its knees, the west coast and western border is secure, and the east coast landing is contained. any chance you remember how many troops britain had at this time?

Hmmmm. I remember that the limeys had about 20 divs in the landings . . . and the Canadians had about 5 in Quebec. I had 2 divisions per East Coast coastal territory:D

damn you were busy after the dominion war. its too bad vicky doesnt have carriers. then it would be truly epic!

damn you were busy after the dominion war. its too bad vicky doesnt have carriers. then it would be truly epic!

It does in Revolutions, at least. I actually build a few before the conversion.:cool:

EDIT - I lost a war! Of course I was busy! :D

Pretty impressive performance of the US Forces so far, will it be enough?

You'll see:D

And I'll provide The Freedom War Part Two: The Second Dominion War tonight for you as well, my loyal listeners;)

Шэь уфпук ещ ыуу Вуыукуе ыеуззштп шт фсешщт...:)

Darn these keyboard layouts!!

I wanted to say:

I'm eager to see Deseret stepping in action...:)

secondb.jpg

Gunshots around the globe rang in the new year. In Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia and South America there were the usual celebratory shooters, and only the occasional man with lethal intent.

Not so in North America.

There, Canadian soldiers fired at American, who fired right back with gusto. The New Year celebrations did not pause the Freedom War. In Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia and Pennsylvania the British Army engaged the US State Militias, seeking to break out into the American Heartland.

North America was in flames.

As the first few months of 1915 rolled through, nothing out of the ordinary happened along the front. That meant the US Army - for that is what it really was - was rolling up the Canadians easily. The British began reinforcing the Eastern Pocket as the year progressed. Occupied Washington grated under the heel of Indian garrison divisions, partisan uprisings occurring several times.

The US Navy set out from its new base in Halifax to break the British reinforcement link, thereby making their men vulnerable to the US troops. After four UK convoys were intercepted and destroyed the Royal navy met the USN head on. Both sides pulled away claiming victory - the US had lost all three of its pre-dreadnoughts (but not the flagship USS Ohio, a real dreadnought) and several cruisers, but the RN had lost almost a dozen cruisers and a massive amount of transports, as well as countless sailing ships and ironclads.

Meanwhile, Ontario fell to the US and the Canadian defenses in Quebec were annihilated. With the fall of those two key provinces the US began shoving into central Canada. The Canadians began to try to negotiate terms with the US after the fall of Winnipeg. The US troops on the Custer Line were authorized to drive northwards as the United States gained control further and further westward.

Meanwhile, western Maryland was reclaimed by a fierce attack the United States National Guard elements. The British decided not to counterattack in Maryland, but launched an amphibious assault on American-occupied Nova Scotia. The British were throw back into the sea, however.

As the year drew to a close Canada finally came to terms with all the United States. In addition to the return of occupied New York, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia were to be directly annexed into the USA. Also Quebec was to be released as a "sovereign" nation heavily affiliated with the US and. . . .

Canada became a satellite of the United States Government.

The tables had turned.

1915 closed with the American Front closing rapidly and the British growing more and more desperate to exert control over the US. Australia accepted a White Peace with the United States, as did several Indian nations.

Truly, the war was taking a turn that could never have been guessed in August of 1914.

1916 loomed - and now no one knew what it would bring.

Fear ran rampant all across the globe.

sweet. is there any chance of you expanding outside the americas? maybe getting the some island possesions to affset the loss of the opportunity to take the phillipines? maybe india to prepare for AoD?

i guess all this explains why you were talking about vicky over in LMCP then. but still, didnt you think to try a test game to figure out how to work the game to prevent a dominion war?

i guess all this explains why you were talking about vicky over in LMCP then. but still, didnt you think to try a test game to figure out how to work the game to prevent a dominion war?

I have owned Vicky for most of a year now. I have played other games of it. This was just the first one where it "clicked" for me. HOI2 didn't really "click" until last summer:D

But yes - this was the Vicky game I was talking about:)

Good for the US, they have now two nice northern puppets.
It's time for the Brits to acknowledge their defeat.

nah, they are brits after all. too bloody proud!:rofl:

i think we will land on the isles and india, then be thrown out of the isles losing a huge amount of troops, but will take down india. then it will even out peace proposals, and give the us a foothold in either burma or india, and some islands, with a humiliation given to the british.

threep.jpg

The world convulsed in the throes of war, for now the Empire of Russia had declared full and total war upon Great Britain, aligning itself with the United States. In India, Kazakh, China and the North Sea Russian and British forces clashed - relieving much pressure on the USA.

The United States Navy sallied out of Boston once more, again wrecking UK convoys. Only three of its losses had been replaced since the Battle of the Chesapeake, but the remaining units were heavily experienced.

In Delaware, General Pershing, newly-returned from Canada, broke through the British defense, reclaiming the state in days. 2nd and 3rd Armies filtered into Pennsylvania and hammered into Eastern Maryland, brushing aside heavy opposition.

Once again the British attempted to land troops in the West, and once again they were thrown back. The United Kingdom was losing the war - and they knew it. The Japanese began to growl about America disrupting the order of things, and the IJN left its principle base in Pearl Harbor for "maneuvers". They fooled no one, not even Russian peasants - they were preparing for war.

In the CSA, President Semmes issued a stirring speech that claimed: "They may be damnyankees. They may be oppressors. They may be the goddamn Devil incarnate - but they're still Americans, and that puts them one up on the limeys! If the British invaded Hell, I would put in a good word for Satan in Congress!"

All noble sentiments aside, the South never actually joined the war. Nether did Japan, but there were echoes even now of what the Great War would bring - and on whose sides they would be.

In the late fall of 1916 the US army encircled Washington, the last pocket occupied by the British, and pushed into the city. Within days it was over.

The American Front had closed.

With Labrador and Newfoundland occupied by America and US Marines approaching Bermuda, Woodrow Wilson offered a peace to Britain:

The Woodrow Wilson Peace Offer

The Empire of Great Britain shall be required to acknowledge the sovereignty of these United States as their own free nation in their own sphere, E Pluribus Unum. The Empire of Great Britain shall be required to acknowledge the sovereignty of Quebec and its freedom in the sphere of all these United States. The Empire of Great Britain shall be required to acknowledge the terms of the Treaty of Chicago, which brought an end to the pointless conflict between these United States and the Dominion of Canada.

All told, it was a very generous offer. The US didn't even ask for Labrador, Newfoundland, Bermuda, the British Caribbean or Guyana.

Nothing could have been more precisely calculated to get a British refusal.

1916 was a truly victorious year for the United States - and now people didn't fear so much what 1917 would bring. With Britain's satellites and dominions abandoning the Freedom War in droves - the UK was unlikely to succeed, in the end.

And America could make much harsher terms.

we need MOAR!! i think you should have made an entire vicky AAR out of this. it is truly epic!