• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
trekaddict - A vote for Spain and rest assured there will be plenty of historical characters getting up to plenty of fun and games.

Le Jones - Noted.

Kasakka - The triumph of the Soviets over the Germans would also be an accurate buzz phrase. ;) But not one to mention near all those US firms who think France is the power behind the Republicans!

merrick - Well too long in real time certainly, it's only been a couple of game months. :)

Duritz - At the risk of a spoiler I can say one of those will happen.

PrawnStar - What better way to spend a week? :D

And while Real Barcelona would be pretty cool, the People's Republic of Catalonia is perhaps more likely than the Kingdom of Aragon.

Spartak Barcelona and Lokomotiv Espanyol perhaps? ;)

Nathan Madien - Your tenacity is to be admired.
ja.gif

Davout - It is looking like Spain, US then Welding. But all that could change and in any event I've never made any claim to quick!

KaiserMuffin - I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Franco?

Kasakka - I'm told heroin is both quite moreish and occasionally laced with Anthrax; Linky

C&D - Because the instrument of Doom is important while the rest frankly isn't, not in comparison at least.

And the US Prez is in need of some support so probably appreciates it deeply. He still stab you in the back if you ever want something from him, but that's just the American way so don't take it personally.

Duritz - Is there even a decent candidate for King of Aragon knocking about?

Sir Humphrey - It's left field certainly. Hmmm lets see what Google says.

1938 you have the seminal Ferguson tractor, without Ford dragging his feet and with the shock of war and the Irish beef embargo boosting prices you could see that emerge a bit earlier but with a British partner. Maybe even Massey a few decades early for a true Empire giant.

Hmm a quick bit of checking did throw up Jorian Jenks, described as "farmer, environmentalism pioneer and fascist." A bit more checking reveals the BUF, and British fascism in general, was well into it's organic farming. Most of the Soil Association were ex-BUF for instance. So I'd imagine organic farming also suffers a massive set back along with the rest of the fascist movement as Italy and Germany both get humbled.

Not sure there's enough there for an update and I think it could be a bit special interest in any event.

Faeelin - How I've missed your erudite and incisive commentary. :D

Nathan Madien - As long as you remember highly addictive drugs aren't the answer I wouldn't worry!

DonnieBaseball - What is this EEC you speak of? The Empire and Expanded Commonwealth perhaps?
filthyrichjh8.gif

Votes
---
Vote Tally
Spain - 15
US - 4
Farming - 2

Bad news for the US, it's under severe threat from the insurgent farming update! Surely beef imports, fascist organic carrots and tractors can't be more important than the US? Surely?

Reactions:
If there are plentiful tractors, then if there is a German invasion scare, the plucky Brits can bolt some sheet metal and machine guns to it like their antipodean friends.
NZSemple.jpg

Who needs practicality or even blueprints or design drawings if your on a sticky wicket?

Reactions:
Spain again thanks... a Spain where the Church has exclusive tax free status in return for accepting the Secular State.

More like the Autonomous region of Catalunya... Communism is just too authoritarian for those Catalonians! :D

I'm not sure what anarchists would call a football club... or if they could manage to form one! ;)

Dury.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I too must demand an update on the nature of British agriculture at this time.

/delurk

Edit: I had no idea that this would be the first post on the new page. My apologies, gents - looks like it will be a bit longer before the planets align once more for an update.

• 1Like
Reactions:
trekaddictDonnieBaseball - What is this EEC you speak of? The Empire and Expanded Commonwealth perhaps?
filthyrichjh8.gif

It's the European Economic Community. In an alternate reality, Europe bands together after WW2 to control conflict through economic cooperation, the idea having been set forth by Winston Churchill's comments to form some kind of continental union. Also, years after being freed from Mussolini, Italy votes a closet fascist in power, several times! And Catholic clergy turns out to be largely pedarastic. And the Soviet Union is overthrown by a union leader from Poland. And dictator Fransisco Franco is STILL dead. And the US elects a chimp who declares wars left and right and has a few pet humans who pelt their opponents with feces.
Hey, don't laugh! I swear it's real!:eek:

+1 US prez

• 1Haha
Reactions:
It's the European Economic Community. In an alternate reality, Europe bands together after WW2 to control conflict through economic cooperation, the idea having been set forth by Winston Churchill's comments to form some kind of continental union. Also, years after being freed from Mussolini, Italy votes a closet fascist in power, several times! And Catholic clergy turns out to be largely pedarastic. And the Soviet Union is overthrown by a union leader from Poland. And dictator Fransisco Franco is STILL dead. And the US elects a chimp who declares wars left and right and has a few pet humans who pelt their opponents with feces.
Hey, don't laugh! I swear it's real!:eek:

+1 US prez

There is also the fact that in this dystopian reality Labour sells the British great power status to the Americans for essentially free, gives the Communists Jet Engine tech for free and then goes on to destroy British Industry.

Reactions:
I'm not sure what anarchists would call a football club... or if they could manage to form one!
AC Anarchisto? Instead of a manager, they have an elected anarcho-syndicalist committee to manage the club.

Italy votes a closet fascist in power
Would be, as The Chap (a sterling publication) calls him, that "..randy Italian dicator Silvio Berlusconi.."

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Voting for Spain in the hope that the Spanish Inquisition will get a mention. That would be the last thing anyone would expect. That and an Anglo-French detente. Well, the last two things that anyone would expect would be the Spanish Inquisition and an Anglo-French detente. And the Republicans actually surviving as a viable state. Alright, the last three things that anyone would expect would be...

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Voting for Spain in the hope that the Spanish Inquisition will get a mention. That would be the last thing anyone would expect. That and an Anglo-French detente. Well, the last two things that anyone would expect would be the Spanish Inquisition and an Anglo-French detente. And the Republicans actually surviving as a viable state. Alright, the last three things that anyone would expect would be...

Bring on the comfy chair - we demand an update!

• 1Like
Reactions:
There is also the fact that in this dystopian reality Labour sells the British great power status to the Americans for essentially free, gives the Communists Jet Engine tech for free and then goes on to destroy British Industry.

How did Labour sell Britain great power status?

Reactions:

Ah, I see you read Pravda. Don't bother believing the other posters in this thread...Labour was the greatest government Britain had! Why, just compare the Empire of Britain before the Labour government and after the Labour governement! They created the NHS, nationalized the Bank of England, the coal industry, the steel industry, electricity, gas, telephones, and inland transportation! They enlightendly gave independance to colonies such as India, Pakistan, Burma, and Ceylon. And we all know how well all of these schemes for a better Britain worked out.

:p

Reactions:

Second half of sentence mainly. The Empire was gone already at that point, but they gave all the remaining aces away for free.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sir Humphrey - New Zealand's finest hour. I think I can state with utter certainty things will never get that bad for Britain.

Duritz - You under-estimate the effectiveness of the Soviets comrade, Catalunya will soon find Communism to it's taste. They need only sufficient motivation to be convinced.....

MadVlad - I wouldn't worry, elections prompt a great deal of spam.. Sorry votes. Lots and lots of post count boosting votes. ;)

C&D - That's just a crazy idea. I mean who'd believe an alt-hist like that?

trekaddict - But surely no-one elects them again in that timeline? I mean after this Labour party ruins everything for everyone and then almost bankrupts the country surely they wouldn't keep getting elected?

Sir Humphrey - An anarchist football team would be either a wonderful vision of 70s Ajax Total Football with all players constantly interchanging OR a complete disaster as they refuse to accept either the ref's authority and so the entire side is sent off for persistent rule breaking. It may even be both.

Davout - Nobody expects the Hispano-Soviet Inquisition, their chief weapon is torture. Torture and.. that's about it really. What more do you need to arrange a show trial?

Derek Pullem - Soon, alas editing is needed as I'm not sure the update is readable in it's current format.

Faeelin/trekaddict - Sell is indeed the wrong word, 'give away and/or destroy through ideological stupidity and rampant incompetence' is a better word.

TheExecuter - You missed out 'Confound evil capitalist bankers by regularly driving the country to the brink of bankruptcy'. The tradition of every Labour government ending in economic disaster is a long one, certainly longer than the list of their actual positive achievements. ;)

Votes
---
Spain - 17
US - 5
Farming - 4

I know I am accused of occasionally being anti-American (I see it more as bringing balance to the force :D ) but seriously this is unexpected even for me. Farming appears on course to overtake the US, tractors beating the new president!

There is still all to play for though. Well apart from the lead obviously, Spain appears to have that all tied up bar a massive voting frenzy.

Reactions:
trekaddict - But surely no-one elects them again in that timeline? I mean after this Labour party ruins everything for everyone and then almost bankrupts the country surely they wouldn't keep getting elected?

In power since 1997. :(

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Davout - Nobody expects the Hispano-Soviet Inquisition, their chief weapon is torture.

I thought their chief weapon was 20mm cannons:wacko:? Can't have the RAF doing without them methinks...

In any event, chalk up another vote for agriculture please, if only to delay the US update further. The way I see it, is with the current US administration, another diplomatic gaffe is inevitable. Therefore delaying the update until after the inevitable diplomatic rift has occured, should hopefully make their fate in the AAR even worse.

Reactions:
Looks like agricultural and tractors are gaining momentum.

Could be part of the post war election promise, "...and a British made tractor in every garage."

Reactions:
I must admit that I am getting a little concerned. All this talk of Catalunya and Kurt_Steiner has yet to appear. Does anyone know if he is ill?

On a brighter note, 1 vote for tractors now that Spain is safe, and because tractors are the next best things to tanks (from the options available, that is).

• 1Like
Reactions: