• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is madness! :mad:

What will you do if Mantua is not there when you return? :p

CatKnight, JDMS - Thanks and welcome!

Malurous - Thanks! I didn't want to write anything heavy, but I didn't want to write another pure gameplay either.

Sweboy - Lutes and port don't mix well ;)

gabor - Thanks! The format will be similar, the characters different. Act II? Haven't you heard of one-act plays? :D

Johan11 - do you mean the fourth wall?

enkhuush - Welcome! Richard or Johann?

C'est Moi - swodahs... sounds like a tonic water :rolleyes:

EUROO7 - No, this is randomadness! :D Any country that is not there when its turn arrives will be skipped.

mandetsl.png

Scene II

House of Minister Mute [穆特] in Hinggan. His wife Chate [茶特] is serving tea.

CHATE I've just heard the terrible news... the southern usurpers have annexed the Mongol Khanate. Our beloved king Mengtemu must be furious...
MINISTER MUTE He is.
CHATE I hope he is not planning war, our kingdom is not ready to confront the southern usurpers...
MINISTER MUTE Not yet.

Minister Mute sips some tea.

man1426a.jpg

1426. Ming China annexed the Mongol Khanate in February, and added Manchu and Korea to her sphere of influence a couple of months later.

CHATE Besides, our beloved ruler doesn't need to attack the southern usurpers, isn't the Ming emperor having plenty of rebel uprisings throughout his lands?
MINISTER MUTE He is.
CHATE The giant might fall without any help. The Mandate of Heaven will return to the rightful king.
MINISTER MUTE It will.

man1428a.jpg

1428. Ming is having a bit of an indigestion of rebels after annexing the Mongols, with a bit of luck...

CHATE What we need is to grow stronger and be ready when the time comes to strike the southern usurpers. Have you presented your plans to send settlers to the western lands?
MINISTER MUTE I have.
CHATE King Mengtemu should be grateful to Heaven that he has such wise ministers to guide him. Did he approve?
MINISTER MUTE He did, the first settlers are en route.

man1431a.jpg

1431. The only way to grow for now... expensive but safe. Manchu desperately needs critical mass to compete in this part of Asia.

CHATE Excellent. More land means more glorious Jurchen warriors to fight for the Mandate of Heaven. Along with our Korean friends we'll be invincible!
MINISTER MUTE We will.

Chate sips some tea.

man1432a.jpg

1432. Alliance with Korea, royal marriages with Korea and Japan. I'm a bit suspicious of Japan to ally with them just yet.

mandetsr.png

Last edited:
Minister Mute seems very calm. Just the right person to deal with the giant to the south. Also, in most of my games, it is good to be wary of the Japanese.:rofl:

Hehe, I love your characters...

So, if someone annexed one of your countries, would you try to force its release with another nation of yours?

I like the way that the minister is being so silent most of the time, and the fact that his name is "Mute"

Im loving this one so far! :D
a bit offtopic though; what mod is making the map look so awesome? :O (yes, im a n00b)

I'm quite certain that's the HandDrawn Map by Strannik. It sure looks great.

Looking at the end of that thread now, I guess I can be sure that's the case because aldriq has posted HttT fixes there.

Really interesting idea - looks like fun. I only hope that none of these nations would be annexed while AI controlled.

I am fairly confident none of the nations you play will be there when you come back to them. :p

Good AAR so far, I'll be following with interest. Now, on to Mali!:D

Krokerik - Welcome! So you bet against the Mayans? Remember you can't expect the AI to be fully predictable :D

Sweboy - In HttT a country can add neighbours to its sphere of influence by spending prestige. I can't remember if size also matters.

gabor - Well, your AAR was definitely an inspiration to get Minister Mute a chatty wife :D

JDMS - I don't think an AI Japan would be of great help against Ming either.

Malurous - No, if a country is annexed its turn is skipped, unless it reappears by AI actions.

Johan11 - So you didn't like his wife being Chate?

Habballa - Thanks and welcome! As Malurous points out, the mod I'm using is Strannik's Hand-Drawn Map. I should indicate it in the first post.

thrashing mad - Thanks and welcome! We can only hope. I'm absolutely certain this Mali won't do as well as yours :rolleyes:

enkhuush - Oh well, in that case enjoy the waltz!

EUROO7 - Give the AI some credit - at least one should survive...

King_Richard_XI - Thanks and welcome! On we go!

mlidetsl.png

Scene III

Shrine of the Spirit of Crossroads, outside Niani. Shaman Sha'me and his brother No'sha'me are preparing ritual offerings.

SHAMAN SHA'ME Let's hope the wise spirit of crossroads brings our prayers to the spirits who protect this kingdom and guide our Mansa through these terrible times.
NO'SHA'ME Brother, I don't think any spirit or ancestor or god can help our mansa, except by making him die gloriously in battle.
SHAMAN SHA'ME No'sha'me! Have you no respect for your king?
NO'SHA'ME I have no respect for the weak, and neither should you.

No'sha'me gathers some wood by the shrine.

mli1433a.jpg

1433. Yes, that is 'Abd I Toure, a shocking 3-3-3 king. An incapable ruler is most unwelcome in a nation with no forts. His heir is the only reason I don't let pretender rebels take over...

SHAMAN SHA'ME The signs might have not been auspicious lately, but they are about to change.
NO'SHA'ME Are you sure? The House of Toure is cursed, by gods and men, what more proof do you need when even the sky spits fire on us?
SHAMAN SHA'ME And who would you rather have as our mansa? Another pretender? And then another? And then another? This kingdom needs stability, only barbarians change their king every four years.
NO'SHA'ME You have too much faith in the mansa's son... he is only a child, what makes you think he'll be any more capable than his father?
SHAMAN SHA'ME He is a bright child, he'll make a much better king.

mli1435a.jpg

Pretender rebels, animist zealots... and now this. The AI had 6 missionaries when I loaded Mali, needless to say only one survived and managed to convert a province.

NO'SHA'ME In any case, the king has done nothing but fight pretenders and people who oppose his new eastern religion. He hasn't fought a single war of any use to Mali.
SHAMAN SHA'ME Ah, that is going to change soon enough, brother. He's finally seen the will of the ancestral spirits and is ready to go to war with the evil Songhai. That should focus the hearts and bring some glory to our kingdom.
NO'SHA'ME You are counting on a victory already...
SHAMAN SHA'ME The spirits will be with us this time!

Shaman Sha'me lights the ritual fire.

mli1438a.jpg

1438-39. Portugal gives a brief CB when they settle in Trarza, but they get wiped out by natives in a month. Instead I use a mission-based conquest CB on Songhai to take Gao from them and Tadikkemet from Tripoli.

NO'SHA'ME How did you manage to convince him? He doesn't listen to shamans any more.
SHAMAN SHA'ME The council of shamans has subtle and powerful tools of persuasion. The subtle ones failed, so we had to apply the powerful ones.
NO'SHA'ME A very high dose I imagine?
SHAMAN SHA'ME Very high.

Shaman Sha'me shows his brother a concealed flask and smiles.

mli1439a.jpg

1439. Will Bakr Toure succeed useless 'Abd? Will the AI keep this fragile empire together? Don't hold your breath...

mlidetsr.png

Interesting update. Unfortunately, Mali seems hopeless.:(

No Shame????

What are they going to be named in Chichen Itza?