• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, Slovakia became hussite, and hussites became protestants?

Tell us more about the Pommeranian dimise! I want to know if Poland benefited from it!

PS. *Coughs, and looks at the top part of his signature.* [/shameless advertising]

Hahaha, yes, it's a happy anti-catholic coalition in Slovakia! :D Well, more will be played out soon enough... They just kinda failed to hold their union together and revolts went everywhere...

Wars of Religion woot!

Austria is a big surprise.

Yay! :D Yeah, I was a bit suprised when they went to Protestant w/ only Vienna, Steiermark and Tyrol... Hahah! :D

Hussitism for slovaks?
Austria is a great political factor?
I thought they were about to join Slovakia. :D

Yes, yes (they hold the balance of power in S. Germany and N. Italy), and No but prospects for rapprochement look good! :)

That is a very early reformation. Cool.

I am seeing a possible Slovak-Austrian front against the papist Hungarians and Poles?

Yep, i was happy about that too! :) Well, that is certainly one good theory! :)

Oh, and by the way. Poland considered creating it's own church ,alike to England, before the king realised he didnt want to go through the catholic uprisings. Something to consider?

Hmmmm.... I think I might be able to fit that along in the story line well... We'll see, though... :)

Vladjo IV
Part Four 1498-1503
~In which war sweeps the continent~

The first bloody war broke out in 1499 between France and England. England, who still owned Calais (coincidentally, a bastion of Catholicism and English-ness in a sea of French Protestants), went to war in that year over a small skirmish not unlike the beginning of the first Polish-Slovak war years before. The second war struck in 1500 when Austria went to war with Milan over domination in the north of Italy. Venice, though greatly powerful, did not choose sides ab initio thusly the fighting was brutal and even. In the meantime, Pomerania faced a major crisis when Sweden declared independence in December of 1500 with all of their core territories under control. With the independence of Sweden, it was a matter of time before Finland and Norway became independent. That is, of course, until early 1501 when Novgorod won a lightning war against Pomerania and managed to tear off part of Finland.

Meanwhile, the Slovaks stewed casting about their eyes in all directions looking for Papists everywhere. And, despite heroic efforts, were making little headway in converting Polish peasants into Protestants. However, the efforts were strong enough to destabilize Poland to leave the Slovaks with only one viable threat in the whole of Europe. Hungary. And thus, as a combination of 'jingoistic' and minor Danube Navigation Rights factors, war was declared on July 27, 1501 by King Vladjo IV, who had recently turned 50 years old.

A vast campaign was carried out along the border with Hungary. The Byzantines, despite having alliances with both Hungary and Slovakia, chose the latter in this war and took up arms against the Magyars. Bavaria and Moldova joined in the Slovak side as well. On the Hungarian side stood Bulgaria, who had no significant army to speak of. The Bulgarians were run over by the Byzantines, who took half their land and vassalized the rest. The Moldovans set about occupying Wallachia while the Slovaks went for the jugular of Buda, Pest and some territories along the border.

Intense fighting in 1502 turned the tide of war back and forth between the Slovaks and Hungarians. However, with the arrival of the Imperial Roman Army in January 1503, and the Moldovan Ducal Army in March, it was all but over. By August, all was still as Hungary remained occupied. Terms were given and peace was signed on August 9, 1503 at Pest. The treaty of Pest gave half of Bulgaria to Byzantium, Set up an independent Wallachian state (as NO Wallachians would accept Hungarians or Slovaks as overlords considering how they had abused little Wallachia) without the benefit of a coastline, which was given to the Byzantines, and gave Slovakia a chunk of Hungarian Territory in the west.

CentralEurope1503.gif

Central Europe as of 1503​

From 1501 to 1503, much had changed in addition to the Slovak-Hungarian war. France had won her war with England and had taken Calais as part of their own territory. As of 1502, England had forever left the Continent after almost 436 years of occupation. Austria had tied in the war with Milan, but only after Venice came to Milan's aide in exchange for trading concessions in the Milanese market of Genoa.

After the war, the arts and culture of Protestantism began to greatly increase in Slovakia. Even the great art of Vladjo Archestsky was put to the test against the new works of painters now somewhat freed in their subject matter from an overbearing religious authority. Famous names such as Miro Radizav (ca. 1470-1547), Valentin Lasak (1476-1559) and Mikhail Dobrevyat (ca. 1474-1517) began to paint.

With this flowering of arts after times of great war, can Slovakia be surmised to be in a two way cycle of war and art? Will commerce ever make it? WTF is going on in Poland? Find out shortly in............ Historia Slovakæ!

I had expected the war to be more difficult, but such good allies it's easy to win of course.

A new Renaissance for Slovakia?

Milan is equal with Austria now? I'm curious to see a world map. Normally Austria would be blobbing to the West.
Also, those crazy Wallachians, refusing to ally themselves with a major power. They're going to get swallowed up soon, aren't they?

A cycle of war and art?

More like a cycle of beating up Hungary and beating up someone else instead. :D

I had expected the war to be more difficult, but such good allies it's easy to win of course.

A new Renaissance for Slovakia?

Yep! The Byzantines are a bit like the North Vietnamese in this AAR, tenacious and never ceasing! :rofl:

Milan is equal with Austria now? I'm curious to see a world map. Normally Austria would be blobbing to the West.
Also, those crazy Wallachians, refusing to ally themselves with a major power. They're going to get swallowed up soon, aren't they?

About even, Austria still has the upper hand but Venice is on Milan's side more often than Austria's. They would be, but I think my wars against them have kind of curtailed their power... Haha, the Wallachians are kindof on their own so their future is very much so up in the air as far as they reader should be concerned... haha!

Good old nobles take matters into their own hands. (I hope. I also hope they don't screw up this time.)

Haha, yeah it'll be interesting to keep tabs on their 'progress' haha! :D

A cycle of war and art?

More like a cycle of beating up Hungary and beating up someone else instead. :D

THIS has a ring of truth to it...... ahahaha! :D

Demokratickid, it appears you've won an AARland Choice AwAARd.;)
Congratulations!

Congratulations DK, very well deserved.

So with Slovakia being one of several equally strong powers in Central Europe, what are the longterm goals? Spreading the reformation? Becoming hegemon of the region? Spreading Vladjos to the new world? Extorting German OPMs for cash?

We await the answers to these questions with great anticipation.

Congratulations on the ACA win!

The Hungarians were crushed, the Byzantines are under a small but stable revival in the southern Balkans and the French finally defeated the English at long last... with the way that Slovakia is progressing a Slovak Empire could form in the near future out of Hungary and later Habsburg Austria...

and congrats on the ACA win, well-deserved! ;)

Can you show a map of all of Europe?

Seconded. I want to see how Europe is doing. If you've torn apart two Eastern blobs, how is the West doing?

dk, do you have a grudge against Hungarians and Poles? :rofl:

Only that they're in my way! :D

Demokratickid, it appears you've won an AARland Choice AwAARd.;)
Congratulations!

Yay! Thank you!

Congratulations DK, very well deserved.

So with Slovakia being one of several equally strong powers in Central Europe, what are the longterm goals? Spreading the reformation? Becoming hegemon of the region? Spreading Vladjos to the new world? Extorting German OPMs for cash?

We await the answers to these questions with great anticipation.

Thanks! I think those goals depend upon the King, truly. Right now we have a mellow religious figure, but a cold and calculating diplomat so perhaps the hegemon will be worked towards in this reign. You can never know, it all depends upon who is king! :D

Congratulations on the ACA win!

Thank you!

Congrats winning the ACA!

Thanks!

The Hungarians were crushed, the Byzantines are under a small but stable revival in the southern Balkans and the French finally defeated the English at long last... with the way that Slovakia is progressing a Slovak Empire could form in the near future out of Hungary and later Habsburg Austria...

and congrats on the ACA win, well-deserved! ;)

It seems you've made a very astute analysis, however what remains to be seen is the effect of protestantism in future wars when the Poles and Hungarians can finally cooperate. Are they too weakened now? Or are they still strong enough to take Slovakia on? And, thanks!

Congrats on the ACA. Great update too, gotta love a stronger Byzantine Empire. Can you show a map of all of Europe?

Thank you and yes! Ummm, I'll work on that! :D

Now divide the Balkans with the true Rome.
And make a eternal alliance with them. :p

Hahaha! It seems there has been steps towards that already! :D

I'd go with Bosnia and partition Croatia between her and yourself, perhaps giving some lands to Austria/Venetia along the way. OR help Serbia take bosnia and then do the above.

Hmmm... I guess it just depends on if Slovakia wants to look East or West for her future expansion dreams... But first, we have Hungary and Poland to contend with.

Seconded. I want to see how Europe is doing. If you've torn apart two Eastern blobs, how is the West doing?

OK I'll work on a map soon! :) You'll soon find out! :D