• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The League is transforming from a militaristic power in the 15th and 16th centuries to a massive trade power! Who would've guessed?

Originally posted by Morpheus506
The League is transforming from a militaristic power in the 15th and 16th centuries to a massive trade power! Who would've guessed?

I didn't think i would do as economically well as i am doing... prior to the war with Holland i had 4000d in total... the Trade Embargo by them was utterly stupid!

Thanks to my advanced tech, stable colonies, and massive income i can pretty much take on anyone right now... so long as i plan it well :)

Part XIV. Development of the Modern Hanseatic State.

In 1729 Austria took yet another province (Carniola) from the increasingly weakening turk. In 1732 the Danish, growing increasingly competitive in Danzig, are banned altogether from trading in the leagues trading centres. In 1736 a similar embargo is enacted against Prussia to again protect Hanseatic trade from being put under too much pressure. In 1737 the army is equiped with the latest Cartridges (Land: 45) for its rifles.

In 1738 the Russians go to war against Sweden, and seeking a quick resolution to the conflict, League forces are sent directly to Copenhagen. In 1739, after quickly securing the capital, the active involvement of the League is ended for the princely sum of 500d. For the next few years an anticipated war against the Poles is planned and forces are built up in ernest.

On January 6th 1744 the League, after a methodical build up of an insurmountable force (Fig. 53) , declares war on Poland-Lithuania. Russia and Austria find themselves in a truly global war against the likes of France, Holland and Most of central Europe. A carefully co-ordinated three pronged assault is launched deep into Poland its primary goal to secure the Polish capital, the CoT in Kurland and Posen in the west. The intention with regards to the french is to further eliminate their colonial holdings in the midst of league cities. The Dutch, Bohemians and Bavarians are merely intended to be either paid off or simply stalemated.

Throughtout 1744 all goes very well. In particular the Colonial army ramapages virtually unhindered through french settlements in and north of the Appalachians. Towards the end of the year Posen finally falls. During 1754 league troops capture Mazovia, buy off the Savoyards and continue their assaults throughout Poland. In 1750 the war reaches its natural conclusion with the acquisition of Powhattan in America from the French (Fig. 54), and Posen and Kurland from Poland in February (Fig. 55).

In 1753, war weary and still dealing with recent acquirements in the east, Russia declare war on Poland. The league repsond by agreeing to the war but instantly paying 250d to the Polish in order to simply avoid any more unnecessary bloodshed (... for now). A monopoly is quickly acquired in the Kurland CoT in 1754 as are previous monopolies that were slipping during war with Poland. It is unfortunately necessary to embargo the English in 1755 in order to protect the CoT in Holland.

The Russians draw the League into another war in 1759 which sees soldiers once again fighting Sweden and Denmark. The Swedes refuse an indemnity offer to end the war quickly and, without much choice, the league sends troops in. The army quickly makes short work of Skane and whilst approaching Stockholm are given the opportunity to govern the province (Fig. 56). It even comes complete with a Fine Arts Academy thrown in for free...

Fig. 53 - - - - - - Fig. 54 - - - - - - Fig. 55 - - - - - - Fig. 56​

Any nation that is big and has a huge trade dynasty will without a doubt be uber-rich. Take my Sibir game for example :D

Originally posted by Languish
From what i have read of your AAR you are so wealthy its sickening :D

32199d in the treasury. :D :D :D And that's not even with much in the treasury slider. If I had it maxed out I would make 852.3 ducats a month. :D :D :D :D

Part XV. The North Germanic Union.

In the 1760's a grand scheme was concoted by the league administrators. It was to be decided that Denmark, and to a lesser extent Sweden, had to be nullified as an opponent to the league as a matter of primary importance. Following several years of preparation such a war was formally declared in late 1769.

The war against Sweden was relatively straightforward and, despite the occasionaly setback, both Vastergotland and Smaland were ceded by Sweden to the League by 1733. The war against Denmark however was a different affair. Despite easily capturing Copenhagen, as they had done many times before, the difficult mountainous norweigan provinces proved almost impossible to capture. In 1777 Vestfold and Trondelag are finally secured to the League and peace is declared (Fig. 57).

Throughout the late 1770's control was exerted over these new additions and the infrastructure of league administration was put in place. Vast fortifications were begun to secure them from Danish or Swedish counter attacks in the future. In 1782 the difficult task of bringing everything under control was completed by the time the Russians drew the League into yet another war... once again with the familiar enemy, Poland-Lithuania.

Although somewhat unprepared forces were dispatched to the polish hinterland. Despite failing to secure provinces outside of Kurland league forces were successful in capture Mazovia in 1784, and a number of successes against France again in the new world. In 1785, negotiations with Poland, allowed the league to secure Podlasia (Fig. 58) (from Poland) and Adirondak (Fig. 59) (from France).

In 1788 the focus of the league once again shifted northwards and towards the total annihilation of the danish... a former shadow of their once famous glory. War was declared that year with only Russia, equally as warlike as the league, honouring the alliance. It did not take long for the league to capture copenhagen and Gotland (1789). On July 7th 1789 denmark is annexed into the hanseatic league in its entirety much to the alarm of much of western europe (Fig. 60).

The Hanseatic League stood poised to conquer all of scandinavia after 1792.

Fig. 57 - - - - - - Fig. 58 - - - - - - Fig. 59 - - - - - - Fig. 60​

Conclusion

Wow, what a game! I got a lot of lucky breaks in this one (not least of all the early capture of Brandenburg) and from there on it was careful planning, wise economic control and aggressive mercantilism. The CoT in Carolina cannot be underestimated in terms of its worth to the league... it provided much of the money the league used to expand and control northern europe.

If i had another decade or so i would have probably been able to take out sweden. Poland was on its last legs as well. The Russians, despite their war mongering, remained a viable, credible and reliable ally.

Great fun playing this! :D

Another great game. The League is certainly a Germanic power now, just as Savoy was an Italian one.

As for the faithfulness of Russia, I've found them to be a loyal and trustworthy ally as well. Never let me down, the Czars!

Originally posted by Morpheus506
Another great game. The League is certainly a Germanic power now, just as Savoy was an Italian one.

As for the faithfulness of Russia, I've found them to be a loyal and trustworthy ally as well. Never let me down, the Czars!

Good stuff so far that's for sure.

I am toying with playing as the reliable russians next in fact... bowt time i played a major :)

Last edited:
Heh, Russia seems to be a very popular AAR topic.:rolleyes:

Actually there were 3! And don't diss this forum!:mad:

;)

I know where to buy one but right now I am waiting for the CoW so I may not have time enough to play. Later thogh;)

Well have to play it before you form an opinion but I will keep EU1 in mind next time I am off to buy a game;)