• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Languish

Fighting the Boredom
Apr 17, 2002
www.twitter.com
Normal/Normal. EU 1.10 IGC 2.3. SuperHansa. Enhanced IGC AI.

I have included, after much examination, a set of "Enhanced AI files" specifically designed for the IGC. Basically, after my Savoy game, i was unhappy with the general state of colonisation in the world... particularly the fact that any man and a boat had colonised in all sorts of places. As a slight perfectionist I set about correcting that and hope to see some real improvement here during this game.

If you want to download these files you can download them here... also, feel free to discuss the changes in a seperate thread on the scenarios and modifications forum here...

Part I. The Hanseatic League.

The Hanseatic League by the late 15th century was a powerful alliance of towns and cities across northern germany and into jutland. It had evolved, over time, to become a formidable trading empire. Jealously and envy had either lead to the league being expanded or attacked. We find the league in 1492 five provinces strong with a large army ready to do its bidding, enforce its trading rights, and where necessary to defend them as well.

In 1492 the league decided to enter a profitable relationship with the polish by allying with them. Several years ago the upstart brandenburgers had refused to join the league and this decision had ultimately sealed their fate. During these dark times several prominent administrators were married off against the noble women of Poland-Lithuania to ensure polish support in the upcoming conflict. In early 1494 it was decided that a war was the only war to reconcile the differences between the two nations... not that brandenburg thought there were any.

In May 1495 the war goes exactly as the league administrators had hoped it would. The main brandenburg army headed north east towards the relatively unimportant province of eastern pommerania. There they became bogged down in a siege as over 100 thousand polish troops pass through kustrin and the hanseatic leagues 32 thousand strong army head to eastern pommerania to catch them off guard. By September, after the first battle of eastern pommerania, the devastation wrought by the hanseatic army has all but finished off any effective brandenburg resistance as some 100 thousand poles attack in Berlin.

By the end of 1495 the Brandenburgers are forced to indemnify the moldovan contingent 179d, and after Kustrin and Brandenburg fall to the Poles, they are forced to cede the province of Kustria to the Polish-Lithuanian Kingdom along with an additional 177d. The following year Berlin falls to the league, and after Magdeburg falls, the nation is duly annexed.

Last edited:
Originally posted by J. Passepartout
Looks like an AAR to follow.

Will the modifications stop you, the player, from colonising?

Hi J. Passepartout

These modifications will not stop me from colonising nor confer any advantage to me should i do so. It's designed merely to stop most ahistorical colonisation occuring and the silly balkanisation style colonisation that occured in my recent Savoy AAR.

Last edited:
Hm my first post in the EU 1 forum, nice pictures Languish. Are you a die hard EU 1 fanatic or what:D

Originally posted by Judge
Hm my first post in the EU 1 forum, nice pictures Languish. Are you a die hard EU 1 fanatic or what:D

Thanks Judge, you must have seen me sneak in and out of the bAAR eh?

I actually migrated to EU2 like a lot of EU1'ers but since then have rarely completed game, unlike EU1 which i played frequently prior to EU2. Dissappointed with a few things recently and simply not having fun returned me back here.

Having great fun right now to be honest :)

Thanks for dropping by and do so again sometime.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Judge
Are you a die hard EU 1 fanatic or what:D

He's not, but I am! :D

Good start with this AAR, Languish. I consider it ironic that you, the Hanseatic League, allied with Poland and had them help you kill Brandenburg, when in a game I'm playing as Brandenburg (it'll be an AAR sometime :D) I allied with Poland and they helped me to no end vs. the Hansa, Bohemia, Hungary, and Austria. :p

Originally posted by Morpheus506
He's not, but I am! :D

Good start with this AAR, Languish. I consider it ironic that you, the Hanseatic League, allied with Poland and had them help you kill Brandenburg, when in a game I'm playing as Brandenburg (it'll be an AAR sometime :D) I allied with Poland and they helped me to no end vs. the Hansa, Bohemia, Hungary, and Austria. :p

True... i am no fanatic... wildly obsessed maybe, but no fanatic

I needed real help against brandenburg... they are (were) a much stronger and credible force than the league.

Last edited:
This looks like a cool new AAR, great start. Keep it up;)

Part II. Protestantism and the Growth of the League.

Following on from victory against the brandenburgers the league set about consolidating its new (and exisiting) holdings. The well co-ordinated war against them had given the league widespread acknowledgement from many other nations (+10 great reputation) but the masses in brandenburg and magdeburg were not particularly happy with the sitation revolting frequently, almost annually in fact. From 1500-1510 tax collectors were promoted across the realm, and fortifications order to improve the security should any nation attempt an invasion.

In 1511 inflation was dramatically reduced to -28% allowing Chief Judges to be recruited in the provinces for only 71d! That same year the league decides to end its relationship with Poland and seek a possible anti-polish league comprising Prussia and the Teutonic Order. It will suffice for now. More Chief Judges are recruited despite in 1513 enduring a period of poor government policies. In 1514 the reformation comes, and with it, the explanation for all the revolts in brandenburg (not just nationalism). The leagues member towns and cities adhere quickly to the new faith and quickly the leagues administrators make it the formal religon of the state (Fig. 5). The first in Western Europe for several years. Naturally the league is eschewed and vilefied by every nation despite their own secret yearnings. The Russians, perhaps keen to utilise this "rogue state", attempt several times to lure the league into its own anti-polish league thought the administrators will have none of it.

In 1516 poor government policies once again hamper development, albeit temporarily, as the Early Arquebus (Land: 5) comes into use amongst the army. The decision to go protestant has serious impacted on trade and continues to do so for several years before stability returns to the land. Just under 6000 mainly catholic men desert the army stationed in Berlin. These losses are quickly replenished with eager young protestant soldiers. In 1520 the previous edicts banning trade with sweden and denmark are over-turned by the administrators. In 1522 the spanish forbid the fledgling nation from trading in the lucrative flandres market and in punishment the leagues administrators do likewise in mecklenberg and any other centre of trade that might be owned by the league in the future.

In 1524 most of central germany, scandinavia and eastern europe become embroiled in a war that does not go un-noticed amongst the higher echelons of the league, especially when Poland-Lithuania take Silesia from Bohemia in the south. An attack is contemplated on the weak bohemian kingdom but this is dismissed in favour of an alternative target. It is noted during this war that prussia take advantage of the situation declaring themselves protestants.

In late 1526, as the Hannnoverian-Saxon Alliance ends, the Hanseatic Leagues launches a pre-emptive strike on the Hannoverians. The main Hannoverian attack (and in fact the only hannoverian attack) that was expected in Mecklenberg duly arrives in Magdeburg (Fig. 6). The main league army awaits reinforcements in berlin whilst a large second army begins a siege of Oldenburg in the west.

In 1527, during the war, we learn of Thurigien and Palatinat conversions to the protestant faith. Decisively, in mid 1527, the large hannoverian army... poised to capture magdeburg... is decisively defeated (Fig. 7) and routed all the way back to their capital. They are routed again on the outskirts and sent in total disarray northwards as the victorious army lay siege to their capital. This hannoverian army eventually winds up back in magdeburg but they are too late. In August 1527 oldenburg falls and a few weeks later so does Hannover itself. Days later Hannover is annexed into the league.

Original pictures lost - so links are removed.

Last edited:
Part III. Humility and Revenge.

The unwarranted war against the hannoverians had troubled many countries surrounding the league not least of which denmark became increasingly concerned with the militant, hostile and rich league to its south. In 1528 the Swedish converted to the Protestant faith, and a fortress was extended and enlarged in Oldenburg. The monopoly in danzig in 1529 and another popular revolt in Hannover finally convinced the unallied and worried denmark to declare war on the league.

Although league forces had been bolstered by the recently command of General Christoffer of Oldenburg (Leader) they were evenly matched by the danes that opposed them across the border from holstein. Initially though this was not apparent and league forces double-marched across the border as fast as they could (Fig 9). The danes stationed in Jylland were quickly overwhelmed and the fortress was quickly surrounded, assault and capture in only two months. Confident of victory the army marched to copenhagen only to be intercepted, routed, and sent all the way back to mecklenburg. The danes, under the inspired leadership of Johan Rantzau, began a siege of Holstein that... at its peak... amounted to some 73 thousand men-at-arms. Attrition and a decisive counter-attack sent them packing in mid-1532. During 1533 and 1534 there developes a stalemate as both states attempt to replenish lost men. England announces in 1533 that it will no longer ally with the church of rome and duly converts to protestantism, a most welcome development.

In 1534 with corruption pre-occupying the state more than the danes, now commanded by Vincens Lungens, are caught off guard by a fresh danish attack. By december the remaining league forces have been virtually annihilated and with Holstein almost certain to fall in a few weeks the danes demand restituion of 49d to which the league, with its large treasurey, are glad to accept.

In 1535 the league resolves itself to avenge this defeat and begins to quickly rebuild its shattered army. In 1536 the Hesse convert to Protestantism and it is learned that Sweden have invaded Denmark. Good! Later that year Oslo falls and several other danish provinces equally as quickly. The following year, the damage the war with the hansa has revealed, left them so weak they are forced to cede Jamtland and Skane to the Swedes. In 1537 protestantism, it is noted, has already spread far and wide (Fig. 10) The Administrators pencil in 1540 for the strike back at Denmark and the army is notified to be ready. In 1538 the army receive the first shipments of early pistols (Land: 6) as they increase their size quickly.

In 1540, shortly after Bohemia's conversion to protestantism, the league declares war on denmark. This time the danish defence truly is non-existant (Fig. 11) and league troops spill into Jylland and Copenhagen impressively quickly. A token danish force is annihilated on the outskirts of the capital. The campaign, which began in january is over in december with the acquisition of Jylland (Fig. 12) and the regaining of honour from defeat in 1534.

Original pictures lost - so links removed

Last edited:
Growing much faster than in the Savoy game, I see. Well done. :)

Growing much faster than in the Savoy game, I see. Well done. :)

I was suprised at the Danish DoW in truth, and after being stung by them in 1534 had to respond in kind. In truth i wanted to consolidate further in the south as opposed to getting caught up in scandinavia.

Having heaps of fun again in this game :)

Last edited:
Well, if you consolidate your northern territory to the point that northern invaders would need a naval invasion to invade, then you'll have much more warning and time in which to shore up your defenses in the area.

Well, if you consolidate your northern territory to the point that northern invaders would need a naval invasion to invade, then you'll have much more warning and time in which to shore up your defenses in the area.

True, check out the next update... i am going heavy naval with the emphasis on the northern provinces and in the south it is slowly becoming more militarised. The Hansa are an incredibly wealthy nation to play :eek:

Last edited:
plus with Magdeburg and Brandenburg you can toss out a lot of troops.

Something like 18000 between the two.

Part IV. The Economic Golden Years.

The league was growing stronger by the decade, as each year past it seemed that there was no end to the wealth of the league. In 1542 a league of all the central german kingdoms, states and duchies was formed it seemed to prevent any southerly expansion of the league. The deterrent worked. Religous turmoil wracked mecklenberg as Jylland continued to revolt under its new masters despite the recent appointment of a tax collector. In 1544 the first Naval Equipments Manufactury was ordered in Western Pommerania (Completed 1545) at the same time a Chief Judge was appointed to curb growing violence in Jylland. In 1546 Sweden declared war on weakened Denmark eventually ending up with Narvik for their troubles (1549).

The Heretical teachings of Jean Calvin were first learned of in 1547 and rapidly dismissed by the powerful northern protestant nation. In 1548 a Fine Arts Academy was ordered in the capital (completed in 1550) taking advantage of the huge influx of money obtained from the lucrative monopolisation of trade in Northern Germany and the Baltic Coast. In 1549 the first nation to "go reformed" was the Palatinat... they would not be the last it seemed. A more crucial development in 1549 was the freedom of the Dutch from their Spanish overlords. This was a most welcome development indeed and a royal marriage was arranged quickly with the newly formed nation. The overflowing treasurey was used during the early 1550's to fund investment into military research (Land and Naval) and into the Infrastructure of Government. Inflation was running at a respectable 14% in 1553. In 1556 another Naval Equipments Manufactury (completed in 1558) was ordered, this time in Holstein. In 1557 more concerning developments were afoot... swedish merchants had been slowly forcing their hand in the mecklenberg CoT so much so that they were overtaking the hanseatic monopoly... this lead directly to their barring from trading in the league. It was during this time that all alliance with russia was contemplated but rapidly dismissed.

It takes two years of hard work but eventually the swedish influence in the mecklenberg centre of trade is eradicated. This coincides with a remarkable -33% deflation taking overall inflation down to -16%! In the mid 1560's the huge funds of the league are used to further develop the infrastructure, army and navy to great effect... by 1563 the army is equipped with the latest Arquebuses (Land: 8) and the last of three Naval Equipment Manufactury's (Fig. 13) is completed in Bremen. In 1564 the league decides, in the possible light of war with Poland-Lithuania, that they need an ally and Russia is chosen (despite Denmark being a member of this alliance).

During the time of the council of trent overtures are made to alliances members to at least be liked a little bit. In 1566 austria is the first to adhere to the council of trents edicts, converting to "counter reform catholics". It matters little to the league who are happy giving moral support to Russia's wars against the Golden Horde (1566) and Astrakhan (1567). The league continues to improve relations with russia... just in case. In 1568 Spain goes counter-reform, although this is largely irrelevant to the league's administrators. In August that year the massive wealth of the league pays further dividends with a reformation of the navy (1000d event), the creation of the first galeass (Naval: 8) and the creation of the first regiment of Arquebusiers (Land: 9).

In 1570 the alliance is put to the test with the Russian DoW on the Teutonic Order. The league always maintained cordial relations with the order and more importantly, the order was allied with young but powerful dutch nation, and this was a far more pressing issue. In the end the league dishonoured its alliance commitments quite happily. Other options are pursued with royal marriages arranged in Saxony and Thuringien. The Russians plead for the league to re-admit themselves to the anti-polish league and it is refused. Seeing it's chance the dutch ask a similar question... this is quickly agreed and the league forms into a strong coastal alliance.

Shortly after 1542, with inflation running at only 4%, the alliance is forced to go to war (Fig. 14) with Poland-Lithuania who declare war on the Order in 1543. It is considered a large and difficult war and yet all three members agree and are ready to fight. The opponents include Sweden and Bohemia and represent considerably large opponents. Thanks to the league agreeing to fight 48 thousand dutch troops are given a direct land route with which to invade central europe with. Bohemian troops who were encamped around berlin (Fig. 15) are wiped out by the advancing dutch moving ahead of league troops. The Dutch quickly capture Silesia as League troops attack Bohemia and Erz (Fig. 16). Late 1573 the war is disappointly over as soon as it had started with the Teutonic Order paying 67d to be rid of Poland-Lithuania. For the league it was the first sign of a useful alliance and a possible future opportunity.

Original pictures lost - so links removed

Last edited:
That's awesome. That's one reason I have such advanced land and naval tech in the Steppes game. That and the monster income amounts I'm getting through trade and taxes. :p