• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

King

Part Time Game Designer
11 Badges
Dec 7, 2001
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Victoria 2 Beta
Comming Soon to Forum Near You.....​

A whole new premise in AARs. You have seen some of the best EUII players entertain you with new and interesting tactics. Now see quite possibly two of the worst players ever stumble through a multi-player AAR. Yes you can see the rookie mistakes, dumb tactics and quite impressive inflation figures all for your amusement.

quite possibly two of the worst players

If this doesn't include me, I don't want to have anything to do with it:D

It would be interesting to see a good failing AAR (long time since I've read one)...Good Luck losing!

Read my Navarran AAR?
That was a failure.

No kidding?

yeah, dying to read this!
that is if hort and you manage to advance a few years without the infamous "Tracid Curse" a.k.a big crash :D :D

1st January 1419-1st September 1436

The plan here is rather simple, what I am really bad at is balancing the books. By far the most expensive thing in the game is wars. So I am going to go for Portugal and play colonial. All I need to do is keep my head down until the colonial empire can supply enough money to do something in Europe. Bonus points will be awarded for an inflation figure of less than 50%.

Portugal starts out in not bad shape, a bit of money in the bank and a not bad army. On the down side I also start out at war with Fez and Algeria. So plan Asi real simple I need a quick end to the war. On the other hand though I also start with an army in Tangier as well, so am I tempted to pick up something out of our war? Hell yeah. Not only are all donations gratefully received but the it will kill some of my men reducing my monthly costs, win/win perhaps.

So our army in Tangier start sieging that province and the rest of our troops are shipped over from Portugal to join the fun. By May I have Fez under siege as well. Now it looks like the war is as good as won so I start promoting bailiffs at home. November brings both good news and bad news, I take Tangier and Oporto gets sieged by an Algerian army, I have no troops in Portugal so I need to just let that one take care of itself. I start trying to convince Fez to hand over Tangier but they are having none of it. The war drags on. By July of 1420 I looking at a very poor financial position so my army goes on half maintenance (I told you I couldn't balance the books). Thank God no one decided to attack my army sieging Fez it would of not of been pretty (for me). In November Fez falls and peace is signed for Tangier plus 75 bucks. Portugal now has 75 bucks in the treasury.

So we can go back to original plan, but with one minor technicality. With no explorers we have no where to colonise. So I sit and a wait and run up a bit of inflation so as to clock up a wee bit of money every year. The odd event comes along, meteors etc. etc., but nothing too bad, too often. Life is dull, apart from the odd crash, but hey it's multiplayer. I make only one major decision, which I think is worth mentioning at this time, I focus my research mainly into the Navy. I hope that by the time my major explorers come along I might just have better ships for them.

January 1425 thing pick up again with the arrival of Diego de Senill our first explorer. Time to make a colonisation decision. Well there is really no choice, our ships are just too crap to survive long far away from Portugal, so West Africa is the target. I get military access from Spain so I can use the Canaries as a base. It takes 6 months for Diego to find anything to colonise, but by Diego's death though I have all of the coast explored as far as Guinea. I also have the explorer Gil Eans to replace him. At the same time I start colonising, as the goal is money I go for Trading Posts to begin with. (colonies are too expensive and the chances of success too low to make it worth the gamble). Also I focus my colonising efforts on a single province get that one up to level 6 and then move on. I just start at Tasserat and work my way down the coast. By the time I come to type this up I have 4 provinces at level 6 and I trying to get a trading post established in Senegal. Just a matter of killing time and hoping for a few nice events that give you money (none so far I have to say). I leave it to my partner in crime to give you a more interesting story.

Just a few bits of advice.

1) Colonisation.

Trade posts are the best way to go early for Portugal although I assume you've upgraded Azores to a city. You also mention level 6 colonies when you really want to be raising them to level 7 so that the colonies will fall back below the 700 level.

The biggest thing you need to worry about with colonies is to start working on the rich colonies in South America and the Carribean. The latter are also very cheap to develop. Get Gil Eanes over there and working on discovering those provinces. If you don't you'll wait a long time for the next explorer. If you don't get to see the caribbean by the time he leaves, I'd get your third explorer over there.

To help your explorers, invest in naval tech. More advanced ships move faster

2) War taxes.

Early on in the game, war taxes are a very easy way for Portugal to increase its revenue. Now that you have Tangiers, the extra stability cost will make this unlikely to be the case in future.

3) Explorers and Conquistadors

I believe these still improve chances of colonisation so you can always use them this way. Try not to let this stop their explorations but rather hold back colonists until the explorers/conquisatadors are in the province which you wish to expand

Conquistadors are particularly useful in wars against colonial enemies and are almost indispensable in places like Africa where support levels are very low. But you certainly don't want to miss the chance of using them. Depending upon where your colonies are, I'd probably aim to use them in North America and Africa.

One thing you should also do is to make sure you know the provinces neighbouring all of your territories. A small infantry group will normally do this quite cheaply. Also try to fortify some of your exposed provinces in Africa or the native countries will simply walk in and your ports will be lost

ok, a good begining and Lionheart thanks for the advice, I did not know all of this.

Let's wait for the partner in crime to show up. I want to see some colonial wars and the prommissed troubles and errors.