• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
New random events

#(1419-1670 ) Cretan Revolts
event = {
id = 326083
trigger = {
NOT = { owned = { province = 360 data = TUR } #Morea
}
owned = { province = 480 data = VEN } #Candia
}
random = yes
country = VEN
name = "EVENTNAME326083" #Cretan troubles
desc = "EVENTHIST326083"
#-#The Venetian occupation since 1204 of Candia was confronted with the rebellion of the Cretans, especially in the inland areas. The island was invaluable to the Republic for its products and commerce, but the inhabitants did not easily tolerate the new dominion. The Venetians were obliged to repress many revolts, and to do so more easily sent several Colonies of Nobles and Veneti citizens, to whom land was granted on condition of defending it for the Republic. In 1529 Khair ad din conquered Algiers and from there his corsairs sacked many Mediterranean towns, including Rettimo in Crete. In 1571 Cyprus fell to the Turks. These events had an influence also on the relations between the Cretans and the Venetians, the Turkish threat reduced the hostility towards the Venetian rule. In the XVIIth century the population of Crete was divided into four tiers, the Venetian noble families, the Cretan noble families, the citizens of the three main towns of Candia, La Canea and Rettimo and the rest of the population.

action_a = {
name = "ACTIONNAME326083A" #Control the cretans
command = { type = revolt which = 480 } #Candia
command = { type = revolt which = 480 } #Candia
}
}

In this events text you mention that the ottomans took Algiers and Cyprus - however neither is checked in the trigger conditions and might not have happened in a game.
Furthermore you mention that the cretans accepted venetian rule *better* after the ottoman threat became larger - why mention that in a random event that triggers a revolt against Venetia when the ottomans have not yet taken Morea?

Should the trigger also check if VEN controls Crete or VEN is not at war? Because if not then the cretan revolt against VEN might revolt against a foreign occupier.

#(1419 -1797 ) Free Venetian citizens
event = {
id = 326084
trigger = {
atwar = no
}
random = yes
country = VEN
name = "EVENTNAME326084" #ransoming Venetians
desc = "EVENTHIST326084"
#-#Venetians captured in war where always being ransomed by the families via the government representative, the Bailo, in the state in question, this was on many occasions hard to achieve. In 1560 the venetian government appointed a senator, Provveditori sopra Ospedali e Luoghi Pii, to administer the hospitals and also the ransoming of Venetian citizens held in prisons by other states. The Venetian government contributed financially to help release these citizens and then cure or leviate ills of the ransomed citizens when they where returned to the Republic.

action_a = {
name = "ACTIONNAME326084A" #Aid Venetian freedom
command = { type = treasury value = -30 }
command = { type = stability value = 1 }
}
action_b = {
name = "ACTIONNAME326084B" #Let the families go alone
command = { type = stability value = -1 }
command = { type = ADM which = -2 value = 12 }
}
}

looking for action b for event 326084.........ideas required

For b a small loss of population would be fitting - the prisoners of war will not return. However what if a peaceful player of VEN never actually went to war? Perhaps add to the trigger that the event not fires if stab is at +3?

In this events text you mention that the ottomans took Algiers

Ottomans did not take it, an ottoman corsair, took the city , not the province. I will remove the passage in the text

and Cyprus - however neither is checked in the trigger conditions and might not have happened in a game.
as above

Furthermore you mention that the cretans accepted venetian rule *better* after the ottoman threat became larger - why mention that in a random event that triggers a revolt against Venetia when the ottomans have not yet taken Morea?
maybe I should have written my own text then. But to "end" this event, morea is the closest land to crete and that will ensure that this event need not fire anymore if held by the TUR

Should the trigger also check if VEN controls Crete
No, then a revolted province will not get the event anymore until its cleared

or VEN is not at war?

revolts happen in peace time too, i do not see an issue.

Because if not then the cretan revolt against VEN might revolt against a foreign occupier.
Thats the idea, they hated being ruled by anyone, even the Greeks, as history shows they ( the cretans) gained Independence as a nation way before greece did. ( after our EU2 time span)

For b a small loss of population would be fitting - the prisoners of war will not return.
true, but they are already prisoners, why loose more population.?

However what if a peaceful player of VEN never actually went to war? Perhaps add to the trigger that the event not fires if stab is at +3?
Because nations/states raided for slavery, had border raids, pillaging and vendetta's even in peacetime. Thats how the TUR paid their troops most of the time, border raids for money and slaves even in peace.

should we add the line below as this is what happened historically, we have it for other nations...........or.........is there a game issue ?

#(1504-1598) The Trastamara inheritance of Naples
#by Bordic
event = {
id = 285105
trigger = {
NOT = { event = 285103 } #SPA: The Treaty of Granada
NOT = { exists = ARG }
}
random = no
country = SPA
name = "EVENTNAME285105" #The Trastamara inheritance of Naples
desc = "EVENTHIST285105"
#-#When Isabel of Castile died, Ferdinand found himself in the position of being both King of Aragon and Sicily and regent of Castile, so that he could focus more on Aragonese ambitions in the Mediterranean and claims to Southern Italian territories as legacy of the Trastamara King Alfons V. The Pope who traditionally considered himself suzerain of all the Italian territories south of the HRE boundaries, islands of Sardinia, Corsica and Sicily included, has always reserved for himself the right to appoint Kings and Dukes whoever he decided as being trustful and deign of Papal investiture. He would have opposed any external interference in his 'sacred' decisions. After Ferdinand's death in 1516, Charles, King of Spain would continue his grand father's expansionistic policy in Italy.

date = { day = 26 month = November year = 1504 }
offset = 30
deathdate = { day = 13 month = September year = 1598 } #Felipe II's death

action_a = {
name = "ACTIONNAME285104A" #Naples is part of our Kingdom
command = { type = addcore which = 393 } #napoli
command = { type = addcore which = 394 } #apulia
command = { type = inherit which = NAP }
command = { type = relation which = PAP value = -25 }
}
action_b = {
name = "ACTIONNAME285105B" #We shall respect Pope's suzerainty
command = { type = vp value = -5 }
command = { type = relation which = PAP value = 25 }
command = { type = relation which = FRA value = 25 }
}
}

After the Battle of Garigliano in 1503, Naples fell under Spain till 1714

Wasn't the "forgotten" command intentional?

for what reason..........a too strong SPA ?...I am unsure as clearly NAP should be inherited as like other states, BRI, MLO, FRI, GEL, KLE, POM etc etc etc

For 326083 and 326084, do I have to include some changes? I'm not sure.

no changes required IMO, I doubt we can make 326083 a province related event

Here's where the sequence was modified to ensure the downfall of Naples:

http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6145177&postcount=317

Given Bordic's last comment, it looks like it wasn't a mistake that the inheritance command was left out.

Also, from my reading 285105 is actually an ahistorical event no? (It stems from a timeline where the 1500 Treaty of Granada never occurs.)

Here's where the sequence was modified to ensure the downfall of Naples:

http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6145177&postcount=317

Given Bordic's last comment, it looks like it wasn't a mistake that the inheritance command was left out.

Also, from my reading 285105 is actually an ahistorical event no? (It stems from a timeline where the 1500 Treaty of Granada never occurs.)

Thanks Garbon, you have a great "search engine"

Yes it is slightly a ahistorical event, the real historical events was that NAP was already "occupied". The battle as mentioned was between FRA and SPA on who should own the provinces of NAP

Was it ever tested that it would cause game issues if SPA inherited NAP at this time, I recall old versions where ARG owned it and then it became SPA owned.

Yeah, I've no idea. Given though, that France has two different times when it inherits Naples (one of which is ahistorical), it might make sense to let Spain inherit Naples.

Only problem I see is that Naples might not exist at the time of the event (as historically France should be owning it prior to Spanish takeover, no?), in which case that event really features inherited claims.

Also, it kind of seems like claims is what the event is supposed to represent...not necessarily the actual absorption of Naples but just the fact that Spain has claimed Naples as an inviolable part of its territories (and thus not part of the Pope's dominion). If that's the case than the inheritance command might not make sense.

Yeah, I've no idea. Given though, that France has two different times when it inherits Naples (one of which is ahistorical), it might make sense to let Spain inherit Naples.

Only problem I see is that Naples might not exist at the time of the event (as historically France should be owning it prior to Spanish takeover, no?), in which case that event really features inherited claims.

Also, it kind of seems like claims is what the event is supposed to represent...not necessarily the actual absorption of Naples but just the fact that Spain has claimed Naples as an inviolable part of its territories (and thus not part of the Pope's dominion). If that's the case than the inheritance command might not make sense.

It would then be ideal that if FRA owns NAP at the time of the event ( around 1503), then SPA should inherit naples provinces from FRA to avoid the historical battle, below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Garigliano_(1503)

trouble is that i have never seen FRA inherit NAP :)

this will mean amending FRA_12021 or the treaty of granada 1500, this treaty historically proposed ( using our current map) that SPA gets Apulia and FRA get Naples.

iirc we had a discussion with Fodoron and Naples was actually "grabbed" by Spain and the Neapolitan royal family (father and son) betrayed by the Grand Capitan when Ferdinand changed his mind from helping Naples against French claims to own Naples.

In eu2 terms it is firstly vassalization, then vassalization break, finally invasion (war). Then no inheritance as intended in the game.

iirc we had a discussion with Fodoron and Naples was actually "grabbed" by Spain and the Neapolitan royal family (father and son) betrayed by the Grand Capitan when Ferdinand changed his mind from helping Naples against French claims to own Naples.

In eu2 terms it is firstly vassalization, then vassalization break, finally invasion (war). Then no inheritance as intended in the game.

I agree with you here, but IIRC the discussion centred from FRA first Italian invasion of 1494 until the treaty of granada.
After this NAP in our game is basically a ahistorical nation. In which FRA nor SPA hardly ever conquers. I see the PAP doing more damage to NAP :D

What i would like to see is the NAP sequence from 1494 to 1505 be split into two
1. 1494 to NOV 1500
2. DEC 1500 to 1505

NAP does not have any more events after 1505 until 1571 ( lepanto) and then from 1620. so the issue of a non NAP will not be a problem,........unless SPA dominates all of Italy regularly

What about an event connected with the 1529 Peace of Cambrai sequence?

In case France loses cores in Italy and Spain vassalizes or has 200 relation or a royal marriage to Naples, Naples is inherited by Spain.

Of course NAP shouldn't be played by a human and Spain should have cores on Southern Italy.

I agree, it could be a good solution.
Good!

I can't unfortunately remember the way how to make this trigger:

test if 200 relation between Spain and Naples
test if Spain has a royal marriage with Naples (can't remember if possible though....)

as to give some...

I will try to write some lines about it but I will probably need som help in event scripting!

What about this?

Modification to this event:
Code:
#by Bordic
event = {
	id = 285105
	trigger = {
		NOT = { 
			event = 285103 #SPA: The Treaty of Granada
			[COLOR=Yellow]event = 239037 #NAP: The Crown of Naples[/COLOR]
		}
		NOT = { exists = ARG }
	}
	random = no
	country = SPA
	desc = "EVENTHIST285105"
	#-#

offset = 30

action_a = {
		[COLOR=Yellow]command = { type = sleepevent which = 239037 } #NAP: The Crown of Naples[/COLOR]
	}
	action_b = {
		[COLOR=Yellow]command = { type = sleepevent which = 239037 } #NAP: The Crown of Naples[/COLOR]
	}
}

#-#When Isabel of Castile died, Ferdinand found himself in the position of being both King of Aragon and Sicily and regent of Castile, so that he could focus more on Aragonese ambitions in the Mediterranean and claims to Southern Italian territories as legacy of the Trastamara King Alfons V. The Pope who traditionally considered himself suzerain of all the Italian territories south of the HRE boundaries, islands of Sardinia, Corsica and Sicily included, has always reserved for himself the right to appoint Kings and Dukes whoever he decided as being trustful and deign of Papal investiture. He would have opposed any external interference in his 'sacred' decisions. After Ferdinand's death in 1516, Charles, King of Spain would continue his grand father's expansionistic policy in Italy.

Two new events for Neaples played by AI and Spain:
Code:
#(1535-1598) The Crown of Naples (event helper for Spanish historical annexation of Naples)
#by Bordic
event = {
	id = 239037
	trigger = {
		ai = yes
		exists = SPA
		NOT = { 
			exists = ARG 
			war = { country = SPA country = NAP }
			event = 285106 #SPA: The Trastamara inheritance of Naples
		}
		event = 285105 #SPA: The Peace of Cambrai
		relation = { country = SPA data = 200 }
		OR = {
			vassal = { country = SPA country = NAP }
			dynastic = { country = SPA country = NAP }
		}
		core = { province = 393 data = SPA } #napoli
	}
	random = no
	country = NAP
	name = "EVENTNAME285333" #The Crown of Naples
	desc = "EVENTHIST285333"
	#-#
	date = { day = 5 month = November year = 1535 }
	offset = 75

action_a = {
		name = "OK" 
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 285105 } #SPA: The Trastamara inheritance of Naples
		command = { type = trigger which = 285333 } #SPA: The Crown of Naples
	}
}

#(1535-1598) The Crown of Naples (event helper for Spanish historical annexation of Naples)
#by Bordic
event = {
	id = 285333 #triggered by NAP_239037
	random = no
	country = SPA
	desc = "EVENTHIST285333"
	#-#

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME285333A" #We grabbed Naples at last!
		command = { type = relation which = PAP value = -40 }
		command = { type = relation which = FRA value = -25 }
	}
}

EVENTNAME285333;The Crown of Naples;;;;;;;;;;
EVENTHIST285333;In 16th century the Kingdom of Naples was at its most, flourishing economy and Arts, still good trade routes between the Middle East and the rest of Europe. Unfortunately, a powerful economy does not always mean a powerful ruler and expecially the throne of Naples being claimed by two of the most powerful courts in Europe of those times, Spain and France. In his very expensive rush to the leading role of Western Europe against the Most Christian King of France, the Catholic King of Spain eventually pressed claims on the crown of Naples and sent troops, officers and insignia to the capital city of the Southern Italian Kingdom. Despite Papal firm opposition but with French assent to a Spanish hegemony in accordance with the newly signed the Treaty of Cambrai he was certain that his decision wouldn't have found any local hostility throughout the Italian Peninsula...;;;;;;;;;;
ACTIONNAME285333A;We grabbed Naples at last!;;;;;;;;;;

Of course text could be improved. So please, I am open to suggestions.

Sequence seems fine to me. I will let English people comment the description, except this: "with the newly signed the Treaty of Cambrai". Only other problem is Spain could be Protestant (players... ;) ) and "the Catholic King of Spain eventually pressed claims"

Sequence seems fine to me. I will let English people comment the description, except this: "with the newly signed the Treaty of Cambrai". Only other problem is Spain could be Protestant (players... ;) ) and "the Catholic King of Spain eventually pressed claims"
OK, I am also going to modify the sequence as above posted. Actually the Trastamara inheritance event shouldn't be alternative to the Crown of Naples event, just if action B is chosen it will imply the loss of claim.

On the contrary, the new NAP event is going to sleep SPA_285105 as the latter will be inconsistent if fired after.

P.S. : should I in case reduce the firing time span from 1598 to 1559 the date of Cateau-Cambresis, which put an end to the Italian Wars? Or 24 years is too short to get this event?

In case "in accordance with the newly signed Treaty of Cambrai with France" will become "in accordance with the treaties stipulated with France"...

Last edited:
THE CROWN OF NAPLES SEQUENCE version 2

Modifications to current event:

Important to notice, action B means a left out for a SPA player: Naples will ahistorically survive or be at the mercy of anyother, at least until 1734.
Code:
#by Bordic
event = {
	id = 285105
	trigger = {
		NOT = { 
			event = 285103 #SPA: The Treaty of Granada
			[COLOR=Yellow]event = 239037 #NAP: The Crown of Naples[/COLOR]
		}
		NOT = { exists = ARG }
	}
	random = no
	country = SPA
	desc = "EVENTHIST285105"
	#-#

offset = 30

action_a = {
	}
	action_b = {
	}
}

Two new events, one for Neaples played by AI and one for Spain (AI or human player):

being helpers I have only provided a single choice for both.

Code:
#by Bordic
event = {
	id = 239037
	trigger = {
		ai = yes
		exists = SPA
		NOT = { 
			exists = ARG 
			war = { country = SPA country = NAP }
			vassal = { country = NAP country = SPA }
		}
		event = 285105 #SPA: The Peace of Cambrai
		relation = { country = SPA data = 200 }
		OR = {
			vassal = { country = SPA country = NAP }
			dynastic = { country = SPA country = NAP }
		}
		core = { province = 393 data = SPA } #napoli
	}
	random = no
	country = NAP
	desc = "EVENTHIST285333"
	#-#
	date = { day = 5 month = November year = 1535 }
	offset = 75

action_a = {
		name = "OK" 
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 285105 } #SPA: The Trastamara inheritance of Naples
		command = { type = trigger which = 285333 } #SPA: The Crown of Naples
	}
}

#by Bordic
event = {
	id = 285333 #triggered by NAP_239037
	random = no
	country = SPA
	desc = "EVENTHIST285333"
	#-#

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME285333A" #We grabbed Naples at last!
		command = { type = relation which = PAP value = -40 }
		command = { type = relation which = FRA value = -25 }
	}
}

EVENTNAME285333;The Crown of Naples;;;;;;;;;;
EVENTHIST285333;In 16th century the Kingdom of Naples was at its most: flourishing economy and Arts, still good trade routes between the Middle East and the rest of Europe. Unfortunately, a powerful economy is not always being represented by a powerful ruler. Expecially the throne of Naples being claimed by two of the most powerful courts in Europe of those times, Spain and France. In his very expensive rush to the leading role of Western Europe still contested by the untamed King of France, the King of Spain eventually made the decision to send troops, officers and insignia to the capital city of the Southern Italian Kingdom in order to press claims on the crown of Naples definitively. Despite Papal firm opposition but in accordance with treaties stipulated with France in accordance with the newly signed Treaty of Cambrai with France which stated the definitive Spanish hegemony in the Italian Peninsula, the King of Spain was certain that his move wouldn't have found any local hostility...;;;;;;;;;;
ACTIONNAME285333A;We grabbed Naples at last!;;;;;;;;;;

P.S. Edited.

Last edited:
P.S. : should I in case reduce the firing time span from 1598 to 1559 the date of Cateau-Cambresis, which put an end to the Italian Wars? Or 24 years is too short to get this event?

In case "in accordance with the newly signed Treaty of Cambrai with France" will become "in accordance with the treaties stipulated with France"...
I think Felipe II's death is a good choice. Treaty of Cambrai is the end of French affairs in Italy but Spain could then still use a dominant position.