• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An old Cossack, whose name was not mentioned, was led into the Sultan’s presence. The throne room was more opulent than anything the man had ever seen. As far as he was concerned it was gaudy and not all that tasteful. Which he mentioned before producing the letter. The Sultan swelled in fury, his face becoming mottled. The Grand Vizier gobbled in amazement at the sheer affrontery of the old Cossack.

A guard snatched the letter away and tried to kick the Cossack in the back of the knees. The old man swayed gently to avoid the clumsy attempt to bring him to his knees. The guard grimaced and handed the letter to the Grand Vizier, who tried to read the letter. Since it was written in the Cossack language he was unable to do so. The Sultan glanced at it and started to laugh.

“What kind of chicken scratching is this? Is it really writing or just childish scribbles?”

The Cossack strode forward a step and snarled,” It is the language of my people! Shall I read it to you?”

The Sultan smiled and waved his hand negligently,” Oh be my guest, I didn’t know Cossacks could read.”

The Grand Vizier handed the letter back to the guard, who handed it back to the old man. The guard stumbled and fell to the floor when the old fellow tripped him. The guard glowered at the Cossack as he scrambled to his feet.

“I’ll get you, old man,” he whispered.

“Go on, old fellow,” the Grand Vizier prompted the Cossack.

The old man cleared his throat, turned the letter upside down and began reading. With each sentence the Grand Vizier got paler and the Sultan become even more puffed up and began to turn purple. By the time the Cossack finished the Sultan was literally shaking with rage. The Grand Vizier was as pasty white as a ghost.

The Sultan pointed at the Cossack,” Kill him! At once!”

The guard pulled his blade and immediately ran the Cossack through. Or at least he tried. The Cossack spun gracefully from the attack and slapped the guards buttocks with a nearby sword he’d taken from another guard. The guard howled and turned to the old man who had skipped over to the Grand Vizier, who shrank away. The Sultan yanked out his own blade and met the Cossack.

The two men danced down the steps from the throne, their blades swirling and clashing in their own steely dance of death. Lots of other guards stormed toward them, eager to slay the impertinent infidel.

“Hold! He is mine!” the Sultan bellowed.

The Cossack, even as old as he was, kept the Sultan hopping, and swearing in Turkish. The Cossack said not a word. The old man had even managed to slice the Sultan’s left cheek, with a very deep wound. It wouldn’t be life threatening, but it bled copiously and would leave a wicked scar.

The Sultan roared in anger and redoubled his efforts. The old man was tiring, so he did one last attack sequence and managed to nick the Sultan’s thigh, uncomfortably close to the monarch’s genitalia.

“Remember this, infidel,” the Cossack puffed,” I am an old man. See what I have done to you. My people are strong. Stronger than you know. We do not fear the Turk. We do not fear the Mongol. We fear nothing and nobody.”

The Sultan finally managed to stab the wily old man in the chest. The old Cossack slumped to the floor, bleeding profusely. The Sultan gasped and trembled, weary from the exertions he was not used to performing. The white marble was being stained red, as was a nearby rug of immense value.

The Grand Vizier wildly gestured to the rug to be removed and the marble to be scrubbed while other men unceremoniously carried the dying Cossack out to be hung. They were disappointed when the old man died before the hanging could be accomplished.

The Sultan paced back and forth, his face still a deep scarlet. The Grand Vizier paced alongside him, slightly less pale than earlier.

“I want the army ready to march! The Cossacks will pay for this insolence! I want their fields to burn, their cities to be pulled down….”

“My liege, the Cossacks don’t really have cities,” the Grand Vizier interrupted.

“Fine, destroy their towns, yurts, whatever,” the Sultan bellowed,” I want everything that lives there to die. Everything. Every man, woman, and child. Every horse. Everything!”

“Sire!” the Grand Vizier interrupted again,” We should keep the best looking woman and the smaller children as slaves.”

The Sultan stopped pacing and faced his closest advisor with a frown,” Are you serious?”

“Of course I am serious! Think of it. Imagine the possibilities.”

The Sultan has a faraway look in his eye. Finally he smiles. A vicious, evil smile.

How's that, Nalivayko?

Last edited:
Thanks, Commandante!

Yeah, the two of us do seem to write pretty well together. Well, at least I think so. He hasn't said what he thought of it yet...He might hate it...Nah, surely not!:)

Ok, I just had time to read it :) Great stuff, should've killed the Sultan :D Nah, you're right - he'd be better off dying in the steppes of Ukraine, killed by the saber of the old Cossack's son, who's been busy protecting beautiful women and young children, while his father raided the shores of Anatolia, before finally delivering the letter to the Sultan... whoof, I'll try to expend on the topic later.

Thanks for a great read, I probably should incorporate a Swedish advisor to Poles, who is then captured by Zaporozhians and becomes one with the Cossack Brotherhood.

Commandante , the letter received recognition by Ripley's Believe It or Not as the most insulting letter written from one head of the state to another. Of course, Ivan Sirko, the author, was not a head of the state, just a military commander of the Zaporozhians, but one thing he was for sure: the soul of his country. I'd write more about him, when his time comes in the aar.

And yes, we work well with Amric. We even have a cultural exchange - he liberated Ukraine with Swedes, and I promise to do the same to Sweden, if there's a need :) (I know, not bloody likely - I might aid them against Peter I though).

Originally posted by nalivayko
And yes, we work well with Amric. We even have a cultural exchange - he liberated Ukraine with Swedes, and I promise to do the same to Sweden, if there's a need :) (I know, not bloody likely - I might aid them against Peter I though).

Yeah, but it's nice to now that you've "proclaimed a guarantee." :D

A Swedish advisor you say? Interesting... :)

Sorry, would you like to jump on the train too? Choose your position if you would. I'd recommend a rebel leader of some sort - you would pop up in aar when rebellions break out :D

Sorry, would you like to jump on the train too? Choose your position if you would. I'd recommend a rebel leader of some sort - you would pop up in aar when rebellions break out :D

Hm, I'm not sure if I have the time to write. Being a rebel leader is... tempting, but I better not promise anything.

Ok, I just had time to read it Great stuff, should've killed the Sultan Nah, you're right - he'd be better off dying in the steppes of Ukraine, killed by the saber of the old Cossack's son, who's been busy protecting beautiful women and young children, while his father raided the shores of Anatolia, before finally delivering the letter to the Sultan... whoof, I'll try to expend on the topic later.

Thanks for a great read, I probably should incorporate a Swedish advisor to Poles, who is then captured by Zaporozhians and becomes one with the Cossack Brotherhood

I really did think about having him kill the Sultan, but decided that since I have no idea if the Sultan is ready to croak anyway that it was a bad idea. Having in die in the steppes is a good idea. Wish I had thought of it. Wow, a Swedish advisor. Cool idea. And I'll bet an adventurous Swede would become one with the Brotherhood.

Well I did write about 3 pages of background and getting him near the Cossack border....I thought originally from Lithuania, then I went back you stated Poles...so I have a version of each....Although looking at the map you don't have a common border with the Poles. So perhaps the Lithuanian version is the best one?

Just as a side note, I am part Swedish, but I couldn't speak the language to save my life. The funny thing is, I am also part German. Some of my viking ancestors went to Normandy, and some of those went to England. And a few of those went to Scotland and Ireland....Am I a mutt or what?

Last edited:
Originally posted by Amric
Just as a side note, I am part Swedish, but I couldn't speak the language to save my life. The funny thing is, I am also part German. Some of my viking ancestors went to Normandy, and some of those went to England. And a few of those went to Scotland and Ireland....Am I a mutt or what?

Hey man, I can help you with the language part. :D

Just PM me if you need some help.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, although with the way my life is going who knows when I will have any time.

Commandante, time is precious, do what you can, but don't force yourself for me :D Btw, it must be nice to have ancestry like yours.

Amric, I am half done writing the next installment - wait for a few hours, and Zaporozh'e will have a common border with Poland ;)

The reason it didn't in the beginning is because I gave Podolia to Lithuania in my scenario. On the map I found, in 1500 they had East Podolia, while Poles had West Podolia. The map clearly showed them being separated from the Wild Fields and I wanted my scenario to be as accurate as possible.

In any way, you can start with the beginning stage of your character's adventure (his name is totally up to you, Amric would be more than great :) ), getting him from Sweden to Poland might be quite a task. As soon as you start, I'll add to it.

Regarding the cossacks, I like this AAR, Nalivayko. Will we see the foundation of the sich?

Yep, it's an event in 1550's

Ah, crap, my apologies :D You were replying to Amric. But judging from your comment about language you should have Vikings as ancestors as well.

Ahem. As a very wise man once wrote in my AAR

"Ok, time for MORE, MORE, MORE post".:D

Joe

Ah, crap, my apologies :D You were replying to Amric. But judging from your comment about language you should have Vikings as ancestors as well.

I offered my help to Amric getting the Swedish right if he was to write something.

Viking ancestors? Yes, that is very likely. :D

Originally posted by Storey
Ahem. As a very wise man once wrote in my AAR

"Ok, time for MORE, MORE, MORE post".:D

Joe

Bastard, this is a low blow :D

I said today, not now - I can get away with posting, but not with taking an hour of worktime to finish a post :)

Okay, I can do the Polish one. Getting him from Sweden was actually very easy....I'll give you a hint....Male has a sister...who is a lady in waiting to a Princess, who is married off to a foreign Prince....See? Easy? His family tells him he will be her guardian while she is there....his name will be Johann Fransson. His grandmother is german. Thought it would be a little more flavorful, so to speak.

Between the Hammer and the Anvil

The wind is asking death -
Who's turn it is to die?
Hey, hey, hey, hey,
Who's turn it is to die?

It's Ivan, who has to die,
A Sich marksman,
Hey, hey, hey, hey,
A Sich marksman.

The best death is in battle
For your land and freedom,
Hey, hey, hey, hey,
For your land and freedom.

The clouds of dust cover the sun from true Christians - the Lucifer's hordes surround the most loyal defenders of the True Faith. Hetman Samiylo Kishka and his Cossacks prepare for dark times ahead. Hetman encourages his comrades, laughing and saying it the things could be much worse. As soon as he turns around, the things get worse.

Muscowy's Czar Ivan may be insane, but no one dares to deny call him a coward. Facing a long war with Lithuania, he still dares to attack Sweden. Polish King Zygmunt I refuses to honor the alliance. Now it's true Christians against Muslims and heretic followers of Pope and Martin Luther.

As if it was not enough, Crimean Tatars revolt against both Turks and Cossacks and Samiylo is forced to lift the siege of Bakchi-Sarai. Retreating north, he bypasses the bulk of Lithuanian forces heading for Azov - Lithuania is obviously determined to grab at least one port on the Warm Seas. The enemy briefly occupies unfortified Donetsk.

Fortunately, Czar's army soon advances across the Wild Fields, it's general making a right decision to defend Ochakiv against combined Ottoman-Hungarian armies. Saved from the danger in the south, Samiylo and his Cossacks boldly invade Lithuania. Her eastern provinces (Bogutjar, Belgorod and Voronezh) are still unfortified and Zaporozhians take advantage of it, waging guerilla warfare against the oppressors. Lithuanians do not shy away from a battle, they send army after army east, but hardly a soldier returns, consumed by the fire of liberation war, started by the Cossacks in the Borderlands.

Turkish armies suffer one defeat after another at the hands of Poles and Muscowites. Cossack victories on both fronts and the memories of Lantskoronsky's raids convince the Sultan to sue for peace. He offers Samiylo 50,000 ducats and, a treacherous dog that he is, he pays only 10,000.

In winter of 1537 Samiylo sends a handful of Cossacks, who have the most poisonous tongues to Azov Tatars, with instructions to insult their elders and piss on their graves. Cossack envoys follow his instructions to the letter and by spring Tatars raise in rebellion. Since there are no Cossacks in sight, they turn on Lithuanian-Hungarian forces besieging Azov. The enemy handles the Tatars in a proper fashion - but his casualties force Lithuanian contigent to raise the siege and retreat north. In Lugansk they find the burning remains of the Lithuanian outpost - evidently they followed in the footsteps of the Cossack mission to Tatars.

Meanwhile, the Wild Fields in the north are brought to control of combined Cossack-Muscowian forces. Hungarian King offers 225,000 ducats in return for piece - Hetman proudly refuses. You've chosen your time to start this war, - he replies to the King, - we'll choose when to end it.

And war continues. Poles, even though they are out of the alliance, advance deep into Turkey, supported by their new allies, Prussians. They also trouble Lithuanians in the west, to keep them from attacking small Cossack army besiegin Poltava. Meanwhile, Bogutjar and Belgorod remain in Cossack handles, while Muscowians keep Voronezh.

In spring Hungary is on the verge of taking Azov and Lithuania musters a large enough army to try to lift the siege of Poltava. Muscowy makes peace - their casualties are high and a payout low. But Samiylo, finally convinced he is unbeatable, rides to the walls of Poltava and calls for Lithuanian garrison to find a brave soul, who'd fight him one on one. If Hetman is killed, Cossacks would retreat, if the Lithuanian perishes, Poltava will open its gates.

When Lithuanians listen to him and open the gates to let their champion out, Samiylo rides to the gates and alone fights fifty guards, until his comrades come to his aid. The city falls and Hetman is ready to negotiate peace. But before he can send his envoy, Lithuanian one arrives at his camp, offering Poltava, Belgorod and Podolia.

In July 1538 Samiylo sheds the tears of joy, accepting Lithuanian offer. He allows his army to briefly celebrate the victory and then leads his comrades to battle again, this time to lift the siege of Azov. The battle does not last long - Cossack Host completely suprises Hungarians, destroying entire 5,000-strong force.

The offer of peace is sent to Hungarian King Zapolya, but he has already sobered up and sees that Cossack army is not much of a threat to him... compared to the threat he faces from the mighty Poles. He decides to commit all his resources - both military and financial - to fight the larger foe. The struggle drags on for another two years, with Poles slowly gaining the upper hand. Finally, in 1540, Zapolya is killed at Maros and the Emperor in Vienna claims the Kingdom for himself. Poles, however, are generously rewarded - the Polish King gets Presburg, Carpathia, Ruthenia and Moldova, while his Prussian ally gets Wallachia.

The last state remaining at war with Cossacks - Wurzbug used to be a Hungarian ally - promptly makes peace by paying a symbolic tribute. The war that started as a nightmare, ended in total victory. The hordes of Lucifer were scattered and the saints in heaven rejoice as the brave Cossacks, unrecognized defenders of One True Faith, celebrate in the Borderlans, praising the Lord Jesus Christ, Mother Maria and St. Yuri for granting them victory.

St. Elias is slightly upset by the lack of recognition, but handles it well, trying to forget his good old days as the god of warriors. However, as he manages occasional smiles and drinks his gorilka, his right hand is wondering around as if he is looking for a lightening bolt.