• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Here I was, getting ready to comment on your peaceful and restrained playing style, and there you go, announcing Felipe the Conqueror. :)

Very nice, how you explain the inflation-curbing powers of mayors:
In the end of 1578 His Catholic Majesty Felipe II, King of Spain and many more other, much less important countries and, of course, the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, decided to take a break from fighting Protestant rebels and declared a war on inflation. More bureacrats were added to the government and, strangely enough, inflation growth decreased and then took a different direction - down. Imperial economists claimed it was due to the fact that those newly appointed bureacrats (commonly known as mayors) grabbed too much money for themselves, sat on gold instead of spending gold and thus decreased average spending in the empire. God knows why, but the trick worked, so who cares how?
Indeed! If it works, why bother finding out WHY? :D

LordLeto, I haven't yet payed attention to the number of troops, thanks for reminding me. Of course, they are literally thousands of troops "forgotten" in the jungles of South America. As long as they are alive I should be fine.

Commandante, thank you, and I am not even trying hard :)

Stuyvesant, what do you mean? I am as peaceful as one can get playing Spain. Look at that warmonger, Gaijin. At least I am not trying to conquer the world with Lenape :D

Today my goals are quite limited (although expanded since yesterday): to rule all Americas and control Western Europe.

Another thing, if you conqure Lougendoc(sp? stupid french), Province, Savoy, Lorraine, Romanga, and Marche you will have a compleatly connected empire in Europe. Just something to think about. :D

LordLeto, not that I didn't drink anything.... whoops, though of it :) but it seems easier to accept French proposals... They always offer more than I can get if I was the initiator of the negotiations. Besides, Marche and Romagne are owned by Austria, and WE like them :)

Guess you'll have to wait for them to defect, kowing Austria that will happen sooner or later :)

No, I'll just wait 'till France and England are conquered by me - then WE will stop liking the next biggest power in Europe. Which, in our case, will be Austria...

Of course, I might turn on Protestants first ... :)

Felipe III El Conquistador. 1598-1620

The king is dead. Long live the king! The Conquest continues, with only difference that it finally gets an ally who is eager enough to forget about caution and dive in head first. He doesn't care whether he breaks his head on the bottom of the river of finds an ancient treasures sunk by some desperate soul. For him the process itself is the worthy of his effort. In him the Conquest finds the Lost Piece of itself - the First. True Conqueror.

Welcome Felipe the Third, King of Spain, the Most Catholic Majesty, the Emperor, the Protector, the ruler of so many, and the Carer of so few. He sees his father dead, and decides to honor his death by fulfilling the latter's dreams. Twenty years of preparations were spent to get ready for war with England. Felipe thinks the country is finally ready and he declares war on... France?

Fourth Spanish-French War

In the same time the last Inca province is converted and the empire is no longer afraid of rebellions in South America.

Two years later (the Spanish troops running around France like it was their own) Felipe decides to finally expell Morisques from the southern Spain. French rejoice as the second front has to be open against Morisques, but El Conquistador thrives in times of a crisis. The rebels are properly punished (burnt, hanged or tortured to death) and French are brought to their knees, forced to cede Savoie, Languedoc, Provence and Wabana (in North America). Thus ends the Fourth Spanish-French War - bloody, brutal, pretty much one-sided.

Counter-Reformation era

In 1602 Spain, with Felipe's permission, turns Counter-Reformist. The anger toward Protestants, so long kept hidden by Spaniards, is finally released by His Catholic Majesty. Immideately the war is declared on England. Spanish navy soundly defeats whatever is floating and carrying English flag in the Channell, while the army, led by Spinola, lands in Kent and marches on London. When English feel their banks are threatened, they rush to the negotiations table. Seven provinces in Canada are transferred to Spain and Spinola is proclaimed a hero of the First Spanish-English War.

Five years later, all of them spent on training the army and introducing new rules to English Canadians, Felipe decides to improve his standing among the Catholics of Europe by entering Catholic League, aimed to weaken the power of the Protestant movement in Germany. The latter found a leader in Saxony, which annexed Mecklenburg, Magdeburg and Eastern Pommern.

A year later, while the League still discusses the course of action, Felipe declares war on France, which is suspected of supporting the Protestants in the Empire.

This war (accidently called the Fifth Spanish-French War) is even shorter and bloodier than the last one. Spinola is successful at capturing Paris, yet he dies while fighting French in Nivernais. Spaniards occupy most of France and this time Felipe expects French to offer terms of surrender, instead of him trying to dictate them. As he expected, French diplomats show up on his doorstep in no time, offering Navarra, Limousin, Bearn, Nivernais, Lyonnais and Bourgogne. His Catholic Majesty gracefully accepts.

Very soon Felipe is being called El Conquistador across the realm. However, he is not without mercy. The King gives his realm exactly five years of peace and only then picks up another brawl with English.

1611. English once again are on retreat across Canada and their own precious island. Queen Elizabeth is tired of looking for new places to hide. She sues for peace time after time until the offer looks pleasing to His Most Catholic Majesty. Ulster goes to Eire, Malindi to Portugal, five more Canadian provinces join Spanish America, Matagorda (the reason of the First Spanish-English War) and Lincoln - the base for future invasions is English no more.

In 1614 Spanish explorers find English trading center in Hawaii. Not capable of finding a peace of free land in California, English settle for the Pacific.

A year later the Ottoman empire faces yet another crisis. Georgia rebels and so do the Mamelukes. They free three provinces and Egypt and re-establish their authority there. Felipe realizes why his father, Felipe II, never fought the Turks in 1570 when Pope was preaching for a new crusade - the Turks were never really a danger to the Spanish empire. Given time they would fall under their weight.

In 1616 Spain finally turns her ear to the pleas of Catholics in Germany. Habsburg branch there was on a constant retreat since Bohemian War of Independence and Saxony's conquest of Sudeten. The situation had to be changed.

spa1615.jpg

Religious map of Germany in 1516

spa1616.jpg

Political map of Germany in 1616

His Catholic Majesty took only one look at the maps and found a weak point in Protestant's defense. It was the city of Mecklenburg - an important trading center, but also one of the two links German Protestant Princes had with Denmark and Sweden. Since Eastern Pommern (the other link) was isolated and could only supply Protestants by water, Mecklenburg was the perfect choice for attack.

And so Duque Feria marches on Mecklenburg through Hanover, while Felipe sends forth the diplomats with formal declaration of war. Saxons put up a fight at first, defeating Feria at Mecklenburg, while he was assaulting the city. However, as the reinforcements are rushed from the Netherlands and Feria rallies his troops, Spanish regroup, take Mecklenburg and soon overun the rest of Saxony, with the exception of Eastern Pommern.

The peace is hastily made, with Mecklenburg becoming a Spanish city, while Felipe sends yet another diplomat to London. As soon as he appears at the gates of this once great city, the population is evacuated.

At this point, an author feels obligated to point out that the addition of Mecklenburg brought the total number of the trading centers under Spanish control to eight, the other seven being Andalusia, Flanders, Genoa, Manhattan, Moron, Tenochtilan and Cuzco. The Spanish merchants also reigned supreme in London and Paris, not to mention other centers, to which His Catholic Majesty hardly ever paid any attention.

The Third Spanish-English War, like so many others fought during Felipe III's reign, did not last long enough to be described in details. Bristol and Midlands were conquered for Spain, Leinster was presented to Eire and all English possessions in North America, with the exception of Nova Scottia, were joined to the rest of the Spanish Canada, while the rebels in Cornwall add insult to injury and join the Spanish invaders.

Felipe orders yet another wave of conversions against Protestants in Europe and America, and yet another bankruptcy hits the realm in 1619. Not being able to cope with this treacherous behavior of the economy, the warrior king dies in Flanders, where he was preparing yet another campaign against France.

Glorious king, glorious reign. In twenty two years, Felipe III fought three wars with English, two wars with France and one with Saxony, outdoing his father, his grandfather and his grand-grandfather. Unfortunately for him, the total conquest possible in Americas was impossible in Europe. Otherwise he would have conquered both French and English by 1610 and left with an option to turn east or north and crush the Protestant movement completely. Still, he left France and England broken and weak, with no will to fight and no money to buy peace.

Felipe's dream of becoming the Emperor of the West was not realized and after his death the crown of the Holy Roman Empire did not pass to his son, but to Ferdinand of Austria. And yet, the struggle of the Spanish royalty for more and more titles was far from over.

Last edited:
Speaking of a Catholic Ukraine, I have one in my Chagatai AAR.:D

Hm, I think I have to put an end to it :) Catholic Ukraine is easy to achieve (thus not very interesting). All you have to do is play Lithuania, convert it and then release it. Now, Muslim is tough, but pagan would be even tougher. Not even speaking about Hindu, Buddist or... not in the mood to spell his name today :)

yea thats a hum dinger

Ok, you made me say it - he was Chinese :)

Felipe IV. 1621-1648

Conquest Slowdown

His Catholic Majesty, Felipe IV of Spain and beyond, comes to power after the state bankruptcy undermined his grandfather's efforts in his war against inflation. Felipe is good diplomat, but hardly a worthy warrior. He soon finds that kingship is more trouble than advertised.

First items on His Majesty's agenda are increasing stability, fighting inflation and gently encouraging people to leave Spain and settle lands in America. His methods are old and tried - let the clergy run the country and people will gladly sail across the ocean.

After two years of work, Felipe finally realizes that he needs help, so he starts looking for a good Minister. Those are usually scare, but beginner's luck helps his Majesty this time. Olivarez comes to his rescue, teaches His Majesty a great deal about diplomacy, war and economy and by spreading lies about how healthy Spanish economy is (that's what the ministers are good for anyway) increases stability throughout the kingdom... For awhile, at least.

When the truth is found out, unhappy peasants rebel against the King, and although the rebellions are put down without much effort, stability suffers again.

War on Piracy

To make things worse, hateful English and French send scores of pirates to the Caribbean. Felipe IV, in his righteous fury, declares war on the international piracy and demands other support him as well. French and English obviously refuse, while Austrians point out to their lack of capable warships. His Catholic Majesty says many bad words about his German cousins and treacherous French, but in the end Olivarez is able to persuade him that these countries do not speak for Europe, they are old and cowardly and that Spain needs to find friends elsewhere in so-called New Europe. Big and powerful friends, the ones that matter... Like Spanish mighty vassals Portugal and Eire.

In the end, Spanish navy handles all the dirty work. Portuguese warships appear once in a while on the horizon, while Irish threaten and insult the pirates from the safety of their shores.

spa1624.jpg

Felipe's war on piracy

Saving the War Effort

In 1623, continuing his father's war against Protestants, Felipe makes a bold move against Saxony and her Protestant allies: Brandenburg (or Prussia, a new name the country got after annexing Prussia) and Bohemia.

The war starts when country is still unstable, so Felipe plays another old and tried trick on his subjects. He spends a lot of money on a big cathedral in Madrid. People are razzled-dazzled. Stability increases, the war effort is saved... or so the King claims, while his numerous armies put down rebellions across the Netherlands, France, England and North America.

Two years later, afraid to bite off too much of the Protestant flesh, His Catholic Majesty agrees to settle for Magdeburg. However, as his subjects have tendency to think too much when not distracted, Felipe immediately tries to distract them again with yet another war on England.

The Fourth Spanish-English war lasts accidentally four years. As English have less and less territory, the wars with them tend to become less and less rewarding. In 1629 Spain acquires the last English province in North America - Nova Scottia and two more provinces in England itself - Kent and Wessex. Munster is awarded to Eire - which couldn't even capture the province without Spanish help.

In 1630 once mighty Portuguese empire starts to feel the effect of constant wars started by it's overlord and ally - greedy King of Spain. They still vow their support to the Spanish, even as nine provinces in Brazil rebel and acknowledge Felipe IV as their own rightful ruler and protector. To celebrate His Most Catholic Majesty declares war on France, clearly intending to punish them for harboring pirate ships in ports of Brittany.

As war with France requires more money, Olivarez advices the King to burden the population in Catalonia with feeding the invasion force. The result is revolts in Iberia, Italy and Portugal. The King ends up spending 1,600,000 doublons to appease the rebels. The only positive effect of this blunder is the increase in stability. The rebel scum is too busy spending His Majesty's money to trouble the kingdom now. Olivarez begins to wonder whether his head is as safe on his neck as he thought it was.

Meanwhile, Louis XIII of France offers a token resistance (his allies - Baden and Scotland - have definitely more fight in them, each capturing at least one province) and the quickly surrenders. Felipe's royal cousin, Fernando of Austria (who, in order to pay his debts, asked to become in general in the Spanish army) is welcomed as a hero of the Sixth Spanish-French War. This time French cede Cevennes, Auvergne, Dauphine, Berry and Orleans.

The Sack of Magdeburg

In Germany the people of Magdeburg constantly refuse to convert back to the One True Faith. Spanish commander presents the city with an ultimatum, which orders the defenders to surrender their beliefs and weapons or face swift Spanish justice. The Protestants say they have no weapons and there is no way in hell they will surrender their beliefs. The Spaniards troops respond by storming the city, suffering little losses and killing every soul inside. To their surprise the defenders really had little or no weapons. Spanish search everywhere, simultaneously plundering the city, but the weapons cannot be found. Serves them well, if the final verdict. Thus happened the Sacking of Magdeburg.

The Conquests in Germany

In 1635 German Protestant Princes have little faith in their own forces and they ally themselves with powers outside of the empire. Saxony and Bohemia enter French alliance, Brandenburg -English.

Felipe immideately decides to test French committment and declares war on Saxony. French and the rest of the alliance break their promises. Saxony, Bohemia and Scotland stand alone against Spain.

This time Saxons offer little resistance, while Bohemians do all the fighting. Impressed with their fighting spirit, Felipe spares them from the humiliation and punishes Saxons alone, by forcing them to cede Sudeten, Hinterpommern and Anhalt.

The Wars with Scottland and England

Scotts on the other hand perform miracles on the battlefield, but even Scottish King cannot fight off the superpower forever. If only his English subjects supported him. In 1639, two months before Saxon surrender, the Charles I, King of England and Scottland agrees to cede Yorkshire and Strathclyde and pay 100,000 doublons in exchange for peace.

Two years before the war on piracy is over, according to Olivarez. This must have been one of the reasons he accepted the gift of forty warships from the merchant elite of Spain and Italy.

In 1641 Felipe becomes the first Spanish monarch to finally convince Habsburgs of Austria to join Spain in a formal military alliance.

In 1642 Welsh rebels request assistance from Madrid and Wales soon joins the other Spanish holdings in England. In the same year the kingdom is hit with one of the worst plagues ever. Miriads of people die, for unlike Russians or Turks they do not enjoy the pleasure of a hot sauna.

In 1643 the Fifth Spanish-English War begins with the sacking (the number of times it happened is unknown to that day) of London. This time Scotts and English fight together. Scotts even help English with rebels in Lancashire (even though Charles I makes sure it remains in Scottish hands afterwards). Unimpressed, Felipe starts the Fourth and the last war with Saxony.

The Subjugation of Netherlands

Across the Channell the Dutch Protestants seize this moment to rise up in the largest rebellion the Netherlands had ever seen. More than hundreed thousand rebels besiege cities and castles in Holland, Friesen, Geldre and Zeeland. The Spanish King has only twenty thousand troops to oppose them, but reinforcements are raised in Flandres and Brabant.

In 1646 Charles I looses all his lands in Scottland except for Lothian. He also has to cede Falklands - the last piece of land in Americas. Saxony is annexed while the Dutch rebels suffer defeat after defeat, as the veterans of the Saxon Wars are recalled. On their way back they stop to enjoy the hospitality of the Prince of Hessen and, as they find it lacking, as of year 1646 Hessen is no more.

The fighting drags on for another two years and finally, when their will is broken, their forts are destroyed and armies are scattered, the Dutch accept the inevitable. The Netherlands is subjugated, Flandres turns Catholic and the conversion of the Northern provinces is on the way. This victory frees up Felipe's hands elsewhere and enables him to raise 40,000 more troops in America, England and France.

spa1648a.jpg

Habsburg European Empire in 1648

spa1648b.jpg

Spanish possessions in South America in 1648

Last edited:
Poland is looking rather healthy, better then I usualy see it. And one suggestion, I dont think France deserves to have any Italian possesionss. :D

You mean Corsica? Because Modena is 50 or so years Swedish :D Damn Protestants, but I will get to it as soon as I expel them from the empire.

Ok... Italy for Italians!... And Spaniards!... Oh and Austrians.....

LordLeto, I have a better one: Italy for Spaniards, and so is Austria!

Gaijin de Moscu, thanks, there is no other way :D I'd get bored of writing it without humor and you would get bored of reading it.

It would be impressive if you could diplo annex them.