• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah, was wondering about the reaction those Justinian stats were going to provoke :)

All I can say in my defence is that I had heard before reading those articles that much of what he achieved was due to luck and his generals (as Doomfarer said, this should be handled elsewhere, in the leader file), and the article on roman-emperors.org painted a picture of occasional incompetence, some civil unrest, limited diplomacy (and unsuccessful ultimately with the Persians) and a final bankruptcy, which made me reluctant to bump him too high. But I'm quite willing to concede that others are better informed, and it's Lofman's scenario, so he can change him to whatever if he puts them in.

Anyway... also think it would be a good idea for you (i.e. Lofman) to release the basic scenario (with no events) as soon as you feel able - it's a lot more fun for miscellaneous people who contribute if they have access to the scenario and can see immediate results, especially with event scripting.

Originally posted by wryun
Yeah, was wondering about the reaction those Justinian stats were going to provoke :)

All I can say in my defence is that I had heard before reading those articles that much of what he achieved was due to luck and his generals (as Doomfarer said, this should be handled elsewhere, in the leader file), and the article on roman-emperors.org painted a picture of occasional incompetence, some civil unrest, limited diplomacy (and unsuccessful ultimately with the Persians) and a final bankruptcy, which made me reluctant to bump him too high. But I'm quite willing to concede that others are better informed, and it's Lofman's scenario, so he can change him to whatever if he puts them in.

Anyway... also think it would be a good idea for you (i.e. Lofman) to release the basic scenario (with no events) as soon as you feel able - it's a lot more fun for miscellaneous people who contribute if they have access to the scenario and can see immediate results, especially with event scripting.

Yes, but I do think he should have a 7 in military rating, which is good but not outstanding ;)

I will release it as soon as I've made some Frankish and Visigoth monarchfiles. ;)

I ASSUME we will have new religious names at some point, correct?

Speaking (as I was) of the British Isles, how will you handle them? Representing even every major kingdom would require a separate tag for almost every province.

So would you go for 'broad brush', say one nation per Anglo-Saxons (or Angles, Saxons), Cymry, Picts, Scots, Gaels? Or would you want distinct tags for East Anglia, Mercia, Wessex, Kent, Deira etc etc?

Originally posted by snuggs
Speaking (as I was) of the British Isles, how will you handle them? Representing even every major kingdom would require a separate tag for almost every province.

So would you go for 'broad brush', say one nation per Anglo-Saxons (or Angles, Saxons), Cymry, Picts, Scots, Gaels? Or would you want distinct tags for East Anglia, Mercia, Wessex, Kent, Deira etc etc?

Well whatever you think is the best as i put you in charge for the British Isles and Britannia Minor.

Provinces, British Isles

I'll wait to see the Continent before suggesting population / tax value / commodities / supply limits / manpower etc.

Notice the proliferation of one- and two-province states. If that's a problem, I'll eliminate the real minnows. I mean, we're looking at 17 separate nations here - and we'd need another tag for Northumbria...

ANGLIA
terrain: clear
city: Norwich
culture (476): anglian
faith (476): pagan
control (476): East Anglia (capital)

KENT
terrain: woods
city: Canterbury
culture (476): jutish
control (476): ?Kent (capital), otherwise Wessex

WESSEX
city: Winchester
culture (476): saxon
control (476): Wessex (capital)

CORNWALL
terrain: hills
city: Bodmin
culture (476): british
faith (476): Catholic
control (476): Dyfnain (capital)

BRISTOL
city: Gloucester
culture (476): british, to saxon by event
faith (476): Catholic, to pagan by event
control (476): Dyfnain

MIDLANDS
city: Tamworth
culture (476): british, to anglian by event
control (476): Gwynedd

WALES
city: Degannwy
culture (476): british
control (476): Gwynedd (capital)

LINCOLN
city: Nottingham
control (476): Mercia (capital)

YORKSHIRE
city: York
control (476): Northumbria (capital)

LANCASHIRE
city: Chester
culture (476): north british, to anglian by event
control (476): Rheged (capital)

NORTHUMBERLAND
city: Bamburgh
culture (476): north british, to anglian by event
control (476): Gododdin

LOTHIAN
city: Dunedin
culture (476): north british
control (476): Gododdin (capital)

STRATHCLYDE
city: Alcluyd
culture (476): north british
control (476): Strathclyde (capital)

THE GRAMPIANS
city: Scone
culture (476): pictish
control (476): Alba (capital)

THE HIGHLANDS
city: Cawdor
culture (476): pictish
control (476): Alba

ULSTER
city: Armagh
culture (476): gaelic
control (476): Uladh (capital)

MEATH
terrain: clear
city: Tara
control (476): Ui Niall

LEINSTER
city: Kildare
control (476): Lagin (capital)

MUNSTER
city: Cashel
control (476): otherwise Lagin

CONNAUGHT
terrain: marsh
city: Cruachu
control (476): Ui Niall (capital)

Last edited:
snuggs: First, use what tags you prefer. And then tell what country or similar each tag stands for. Then have them all in the britannia.inc and post how it should be. For the moment the cultures are anglosaxon and gaelic, though it will be divided according to your suggestion if noone disagrees. Will then tell which culture represents which.

For monarchs, use Ids 19000 and up, leaders 20000 and up (since IIRC leaders may now use Ids above 20000). For Arthur, if military leader, then probably no, but as monarch, as long as he doesn't is in the way of one the for certain is historical, why not. Just don't forget the *s where it is necessary (those that certainly are made up).

I'm using the tags AST for Austrasia and HES for Neustria (in France), just so you know.

I've decided Kent yes, Rheged yes, Dyfny yes, Lindsey no, Deira no, Gododdin no, Eoganachta no - Deira + Bernicia = Northumbria from start.

CULTURES (if no objections)...

saxon
anglian
jutish
british
north british
pictish
gaelic
breton

TAGS (do.)...

ENG - Wessex
SCO - Alba
ROY - Kent
PUR - Northumbria
WLS - Cymry
POM - Strathclyde
KUR - Rheged
LAT - Ulaid
FIN - Ui Niall
EIR - Lagin
Netherlands - East Anglia
French Protestants - Dyfny
BRI - Bretons
French Catholics - Mercia

Oh aye? How about, say, Friesland instead?

Sorry about the Gododdin. I could put them back in if you have a vested interest :) as it happens I was going to retain Mynddog but as a Strathclyde leader. I just felt there were too many petty kingdoms in the Reeegion.

What do you think of my Wessex monarchs / events? Are the values in keeping with what you had in mind for Europe?

I should warn you I have very little experience of scenario-writing, I was hoping to feed you data which you would then slot in to the Grand Plan...

Originally posted by snuggs
Oh aye? How about, say, Friesland instead?

Sorry about the Gododdin. I could put them back in if you have a vested interest :) as it happens I was going to retain Mynddog but as a Strathclyde leader. I just felt there were too many petty kingdoms in the Reeegion.

What do you think of my Wessex monarchs / events? Are the values in keeping with what you had in mind for Europe?

I should warn you I have very little experience of scenario-writing, I was hoping to feed you data which you would then slot in to the Grand Plan...

What do you mean with that first sentence ?:confused:

I think that we should have those minor nations if not having them would mean giving the province to a nation that didn't have anything of that province. Did Ystrad Glud (Strathclyde) have enough of lothian province for them to get it? I favor having Gododdin IIRC on a map I saw they weren't to small (had most of the province) and giving it to Strathclyde would IMHO give them to much of the east coast.

The Wessex monarchs and events look good.

Ok, so I will try to get going with it:D .

When will it be downloadable??

Added the nations in Britain. Kent uses KAL-tag, and since I just couldn't let them go away, Gododdin uses GEN.

Originally posted by CCR_of_the_Code
When will it be downloadable??

For the moment there is a very crude version available in the "EU2 - User made scenarios"-forum.

What do you mean with that first sentence ?:confused:
---

I meant why not use the Friesland tag rather than ROY for Kent, but Kalmar's better anyway so :D

Gododdin's back in, then...