[MOD] Twilight of the Gods, hardcore DH1.04 gameplay GER vs USSR

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

novapaddy

War-Father
103 Badges
Aug 26, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • East India Company
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Iron Cross
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
TWILIGHT OF THE GODS
A new mod for Darkest Hour

To start with this mod is focussing on Operation Barbarossa, GER vs SOV.

Check out the new techs done in a new style:

1MNCISC.jpg

Milestone 1:
research techs, get images and get the techs to work as per original idea: COMPLETED

http://i.imgur.com/HpongtU.jpg

Milestone 2:
get images for units, get units to work as per original idea: COMPLETED

http://i.imgur.com/4ineWK5.jpg

Milestone 3:
finish techs by doing SOV COMPLETED

Milestone 4:
match SOV to GER units and get working as per GER above. COMPLETED

Milestone 5:
start event writing, ai writing, get game working as per original idea.

Milestone 6:
test and test again, publish when happy.

E3 map made by mumia. Thank you mumia for the use of your excellent map.

Each major will have their own tech tree for the armour page.
DH arm techs remain but are moved to share a different page.
New armour techs for each major, I mean they have their own space, not a shared space.
Build armoured units by name, Pz1, PzII, PzIII etc and not just 1938 light tank...
Decisions and events to give the player most models of each tank, OR build your own tank, by adding a gun and armourplate.
A new unit system to make most of the currently attached brigades, independent units on the map.
A new unit system so the player can create divisions from Arm Regt and Brigs is he wants to.
Improved Tech pages, but still keeping vanilla dh techs, so the balance of the game remains.
By the time I am finished, some of dh will have been ported to the E3 map.

CFUtgbq.jpg

IqFojZa.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Nice concpect.Its something like WIF II or EoD?Well,12 years of gameplay its to short

Nice concpect.Its something like WIF II or EoD?Well,12 years of gameplay its to short

Well, have you any idea how many models of tanks and other armoured vehicles there were for those 12 years. Lots and lots.

I think the mod will be much more intense than the normal. You won't be able to fast forward this mod and watch it happen. Gameplay will stop and ask you for a Decision.

Anyway, who knows, I can always add on more units and more years in either direction as time goes by...

EDIT: 1933 start as the panzer units start here when the first prototypes were built. That is my focus. EoD or WIF2 is a secondary aspect. I only mentioned these to give the reader an idea of what I want to achieve. A comparison.

I got the idea when "fixing" WIF2 for Dh1.04. So in my mind, this mod will be WIf2 on steriods...

Last edited:
Reactions:
If you want I can create structures of how Latvian and Estonian legions were formed by regiments

I have detailed SOV army creation data. If you have good data on what I presume are GER units for these countries, then Yes Please!

Whatever GER intensity of historical units, I hope to balance with SOV units. I won't be biased towards any side.

I have detailed SOV army creation data. If you have good data on what I presume are GER units for these countries, then Yes Please!

Whatever GER intensity of historical units, I hope to balance with SOV units. I won't be biased towards any side.

Well I meant that you get only those SS units if you control Latvia and Estonia , and they were at first formed only after a successful recruitment drive in the Reichskommissariat Ostland and even only then they started as Latvian or Estonian Police Battalions....what I mean is that at first you form like 2000 or 3000 men unit that can be later formed(next model) in to a full fighting division , I can just write 3-4 events in regards of them forming and add those models of SS

Well I meant that you get only those SS units if you control Latvia and Estonia , and they were at first formed only after a successful recruitment drive in the Reichskommissariat Ostland and even only then they started as Latvian or Estonian Police Battalions....what I mean is that at first you form like 2000 or 3000 men unit that can be later formed(next model) in to a full fighting division , I can just write 3-4 events in regards of them forming and add those models of SS

Not only am I creating models of tanks and armoured vehicles in a totally different way than dh, when it comes to creating divisions, this also will be different to dh. My divisions will be templates, like in hoi3, but I can add 5 components (dh max) to that division.

I like the idea you have. I don't know anything about german ss units or foreign ss units, I was leaving this til much later. I'm glad to have any help on offer.

This mod will be a battlescenario before it becomes a full blown mod.

I'll use the E3 map.
I just want to be sure the more specific units can cope and the AI as well, before spending time creating a full mod.

So a barbarossa battlescenario first.

@commanderx:

The idea of creating REGTS, instead of BRIGS, is that it gives the player more freedom to create the BRIG, or DIV that he wants. He can have a multiple of different Divs in an army, or multiples of Brigs/Regts in a Div.

EDIT: these REGTS will be viewed in the brigades menu.

I'm not creating the units in the normal DH way:

Very little change to Techs
1 brigade type (L-arm) will suffice for Pz1, Pz2, Pz3, as I will change the parameters via event to upgrade or create a new regt.
So no lots and lots of files which will end up totally confusing.
The image and unit icon will change for each different Regt type. This will tell the player what he has.
On the map, he will still see ONE counter for L-arm, ONE for med-arm, ONE for arm, ONE for H-arm.. so only 4 counters in all for ALL types of tanks.
I'm not creating loads of new counters for each div as before.

SO, you create a div template, which is really only say the HQ and some ancillary units already attached. (the platoons, companies and attachments which still are too small for a regt)
AGAIN, I may have dif types so the player still has choice.
To this template, the player adds up to 5 other units that he already created and probably has as a regt attached to an infantry div?
In this way he creates the divs he wants to, and each div can be totally different... AND they all will have different parameters depending on their construction

EDIT; So in your case above:
create the artillery regt
create the mot regt
create the aa regt
create the AT regt
create the eng regt
create anything you want to ...

and then create a DIV template, and add any of the above, up to a total of 5 attachments, and that is then your finished Div.

BUT BUT BUT....

Please don't actually create these right now. I just need the DIFFERENCES between each SS regt I mean the parameters.

I mean there will be 1 unit with a standard set of parameters... then create a dif model of this unit... so the hard_attack may change from 1 to 3.
SO, the new model only has this small change in its parameters, but it IS a new unit

there will only be 1 ss infantry unit.
The models will change only, the icons and the parameters only change.
But there is only 1 unit. I hope you understand?

Last edited:
To this template, the player adds up to 5 other units that he already created
I dont get that , how it will work in DK ? I thought it was like Div template + 5 brigades , but I dont get how will it work with those 5 other units that player already created

I dont get that , how it will work in DK ? I thought it was like Div template + 5 brigades , but I dont get how will it work with those 5 other units that player already created

It works, I have already tested it and refined it.

I'm at the stage where I just have to get the Decisions and Events working the way I want, and it will be just a matter of changing the basic template from then on.

This is probably why you need to see it before you can understand it. But I'm not at that point yet.

1933; the player builds the 1933 tech (1934 larm tech).
When completed, an event fires which now he can build a panzer 1 using that Tech advance.
The panzer 1 A unit appears in the brigades screen, as a REGT.
He builds the panzer 1 REGT, and in the normal way, adds it to an infantry division already in the game.

Later on, 1934? An event fires, he can now build a panzer 1 B, which is different to the panzer 1A.
It appears in the brig screen like before. So now he had the pz1A and the pz1b in the brigs screen.
he can build them both at the same time, and place them in an infantry division on the map.

SO, for the first time in DH, you can build different models of 1 unit of tank. Pz1A, Pz1B, Pz1C, Pz1F... they are all in the brig screen.
You CAN decide that one or two are obsolete, scrap them and get back the resources and manpower from doing so.
This ensures you have the latest units, and your brigs screen is not too confusing to look at.

BUT you CAN keep the PzA if you want to. One panzer tank DOES NOT upgrade to another.

Later you want to build a panzer division, say you know exactly how it was configured in history, maybe its schutzen brigade was replaced by a panzergrenadier brigade, or 3 diff regts.
You can build these in the brigs screen, just as above.
You build a template 19th panzer SS division(?), it appears as a counter in the map.
You simply attach whatever regts from the brigade screen to that division, and hey presto, you have a totally different and individual unit to play with.

SCREEN 1: Tech has finished, it fires a Decision, build the panzer 1. Notice you are building 2 different and separate models

OYn2639.jpg

SCREEN 2: The dh brigade screen. See there are 2 separate unit models of the panzer 1 A

fGu67pQ.jpg

SCREEN 3: The dh divisions screen. You can attach BOTH L-arm REGTS of panzer 1A to his infantry unit. This is just a test.

cJMSJJ5.jpg

Last edited:
One panzer tank DOES NOT upgrade to another.

What happens , with the absolute attachments ? Ai will just keep using them on because I once asked about disabling brigades so they would disappear from unit attachment(as in already attached to a unit not from production screen), and people said it is not possible

What happens , with the absolute attachments ? Ai will just keep using them on because I once asked about disabling brigades so they would disappear from unit attachment(as in already attached to a unit not from production screen), and people said it is not possible

I have not considered the AI yet, hence the battlescenario.
This is only for the player at the moment. For the GER or SOV player eventually, when it is done. ONLY these 2 countries.

You see in normal dh, you only can build one type of brigade at any one time. L-arm model 3 is upgraded to L-arm model 4 automatically. Not in this mod.

I'm not sure what you mean? Do you mean removing an attached reg/brig from a div already in the game. No I don't think you can do this.

BUT YOU CAN have an event which sends that unit for retraining, (in fact deletes it), and recreates the unit again, and the player can then add new regts/brigs to that unit, OR the event can simply recreate it from a set template.

There will be set templates, to speed up things for the player, OR the player can choose to take his time and create them all manually.

Whatever, I have found in dh, most things can be got around by some thinking about it, solutions always arise.

Maybe make those obsolete tanks up-gradable to TD, SPAA and SPG.

Yes, exactly this is what I intend to try to do.

I found it , it is called Puma revolution mod ...11 gb of 900 sprites :D will mail about confirmation of use of the sprites

I think I may have this on an old hdd in a drawer? Some of the sprites are not very good, can be rough looking.

@commanderx:
I have plans for a subordinated-AI, so a separate AI for the 3 invading GER armies, and most likely the same for the SOV in return? We will see how it works when tried. The attacking AI will focus on key-points (schwerpunkt?), the defending AI will be more like the normal dh AI, defending on a wide arc.

Whereas I had the possibility of having 2 same/dif REGTS being built at the same time (towards adding them to a panzer division) I am now thinking, that after the PzII is built, there should be the capability to build a mixed Pz1+PzII BRIG, and also still the same separate REGT. Will give the player one more slot (max 5) to add even more units to his DIV.

If you are still intending to do those SS DIVS, I'm not intending to have lots of new counters which would be the normal way. ONE counter for SS arm units, the name and icons will change to denote the different units from eachother.

I'm intending that once I have one complete model completed, then a production line should be possible for all the other unit models, and it should be just a case of changing things to get the new units.

There is no desire for a hard slog here...

If you are still intending to do those SS DIVS, I'm not intending to have lots of new counters which would be the normal way. ONE counter for SS arm units, the name and icons will change to denote the different units from eachother.

Sure but how I should I do them , just add events for creation (I could just even integrate them with permission from other mods and add extra events for ss divs that I know about) and should there be inf div with those waffen-ss regiments as brigades ?

Sure but how I should I do them , just add events for creation (I could just even integrate them with permission from other mods and add extra events for ss divs that I know about) and should there be inf div with those waffen-ss regiments as brigades ?

I'm now going for the capability to build COMPANIES, of AT, AA, TD etc etc as attachments in addition to REGTs and BRIGs. This now will definitely allow the player to build a panzer division as it was historically.

I don't need permission from anyone regarding anything as this is a totally new concept in how to create units for dh. They will all still be using the OLD WAY. When they see this, they will switch?

The information on ss or whatever units is all free on the internet or in books, so if you can give me the data, it will save me weeks of effort.

I really just need the data for these units; AND IMAGES ...

Name
when formed
size
composition

More how they differed from each other.
This mod is still in a state of flux as when I come across new problems, I have to adjust things to suit. SO if you did the job for me, events etc, it could end up that in the meantime, I've changed the way of doing things?

I'm still on Larm now. But when I have it done, everything else will just slot into place.

When doing SS units or "famous units" I'll probably copy what FT did in WIF2, seems the best way to me? But GER and SOV only.

Status
Not open for further replies.