• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Update: I used another building as template, and now my models work fine. No initial blackness, LOD error messages, and the models look closer to what I wanted. There's just one little oddity:

7546AB5DC83EE17AC3936347CF5EF3619D0D048F

The fields in the diffuse and specularity maps follow the same outlines (in the specularity map, the areas corresponding to stone in the texture are marked black, the metal is white) so what's with the two darker lines?

I´ve run several tests last night all with the same result: My models appear without textures and on the side no matter what I do to the pivot, only "progress" is that they do upload into the editor window where I can put decorations on it.
I suspect that it has to do with the exporting of the fbx file, so I will try to get my hands on another converter. My 3ds version goes from 2006- 2012 for fbx conversions.
Could maybe someone upload a 3ds max scene that is known to work? I could try to export that and so find out if it is the exporter.

I finally did it. Seems as I exported wrong, hadn´t included media checked. Still tampering with the scaling and I only can get them into the game as unique buildings, not commercial... strange.
The result however is quite underwhelming though. I used the exact same models, the exact same maps and still they look awful in CSL. Something goes terribly wrong there, the colours are a mess up (oversaturated into the grotesque) the normal map isn´t working alright (looks ripped), this is just horrible.

Alright, so I don't have a problem uploading my object as a tree in the asset editor. I can load it, preview it and then click continue and save object and play with it in game just fine.
My problem comes when I try to Import it as a building instead. I click load and I get a white hazy version of my object instead and it wont let me click continue to the asset editor screen. I tried changing settings to get it work, but failed. You can see below what I mean. I also included all my texture files and 3DS Max material settings. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I wanted to try importing my plant as a building because someone said that intersections and parks are bugged and wont let you attached a preview thumbnail.png so I wanted to see if tress had the same issue because it wasn't using my _thumbnail.png I included in the import folder. So I was gonna test it on buildings because I know that some modders have gotten building thumbnails to work.

Hope someone can help me figure this problem out.

4RthDjb.png

Shroom I have found from my own testing that props and buildings require exporting at different rotations (in Blender). I can't tell you why. But anyway if I export at the rotation needed for props and then try to use the same model for a building, the UVs are extremely messed up and the model is rotated incorrectly after import. So I would suggest hitting "continue" to see after importing if your model is indeed rotated incorrectly as a building. If that's the case, as soon as you correct its rotation in your export settings, the UVs should magically fix themselves. It's weird. But I'm not sure if this is the same for trees -> buildings as it was for prop -> building.

also: that model lols

Shroom I have found from my own testing that props and buildings require exporting at different rotations (in Blender). I can't tell you why. But anyway if I export at the rotation needed for props and then try to use the same model for a building, the UVs are extremely messed up and the model is rotated incorrectly after import. So I would suggest hitting "continue" to see after importing if your model is indeed rotated incorrectly as a building. If that's the case, as soon as you correct its rotation in your export settings, the UVs should magically fix themselves. It's weird. But I'm not sure if this is the same for trees -> buildings as it was for prop -> building.

What are the proper rotations for each category, do you know?

Exporting from Blender (whose orientation is -Y forward, +Z up)

To export as a building I export with: -Z forward, +Y up
To export as a prop I export with: +X forward, +Z up
I haven't tried importing as anything else (like trees) so I'm not sure rotations for those categories.

I think this is the fault of Cities: Skylines, but I might have just screwed something up with props too, I'm not sure! Also you might just have to play with exporting at different rotations yourself because I don't know if these will also give the same results as 3DS max.

To export as a building I export with: -Z forward, +Y up
To export as a prop I export with: +X forward, +Z up

I just tried doing both these things and nothing worked. I tried just exporting an FBX at +Zup and +Yup... do I need to also rotate my object on the screen as well in 3dsmax or can I just used the rotate functions that the asset editor provides.

I do not have 3DS max, but in Blender I do not need to rotate the model before exporting. Changing the export rotation options is enough.

can I just used the rotate functions that the asset editor provides.
These have never worked properly for me. I think it's because the pivot point calculation doesn't work well. But you can try and see if anything works.

For reference though I saw your video in your other topic and I never had a problem with it sort of freezing up like that when importing from Blender. Also: have you perhaps tried different FBX export formats? For instance in Blender I am using "7.4 binary" however there is also an option for "6.1 ASCII". Maybe if one of those options doesn't work you could try the other.

Also: have you perhaps tried different FBX export formats? For instance in Blender I am using "7.4 binary" however there is also an option for "6.1 ASCII". Maybe if one of those options doesn't work you could try the other.

Just tried this with axis change, still doesn't work... As far as the "freezing" goes, that is just the screen recorder making a bad video, my computer is quite good... Guess it's just the free software I downloaded lagging out.

I encountered a similar problem with uv's looking correct in 3ds max but totally messed up in game. I'd encountered something like this before while modding another game, so i messed around with the tiling settings in the 3ds max material editor, and I figured it out. I can't say for sure that this is a universal problem or was related just to my model, but changing the V axis tiling from "1.0" to "-1.0" like this:

uv_fix_zpsycy0v0rw.jpg

fixed it in-game, however it does screw it up in 3ds max in the same way it was screwed up in-game. just something to try. Also, I have no idea how to do that in blender, but there's probably a similar option somewhere.

NO, I don't rotate nothing.....but i found the solution last night trying and trying again. The texture size was the problem. I changed the original texture (960x960) for 640x640 and that is it.
NY2.jpg

But I've another problem about camera distance ( see picture) how can I fix that?
THANK YOU.....FOR YOUR TIME.

A1.jpg

Two things :

You might have had luck with the texture size but you should use only powers of two (512x512... or better 1024x1024 in your case).

Second one : Your building needs a lod. The lod is a simplified model that the game uses when people zoom out (at lower quality settings it is used sooner).
The lod should be very low poly (around 100 tris if possible).

If you don't make a lod for your model the game will try to make an automatic one (and as you've seen, this does not always give good results.)

The lod can have (and should have) its own textures, usually reduced in size too (128x128 or 256x256 for larger models).

Your import files should be named like this :

*yourmodelname*.fbx (main model)
*yourmodelname*_d.jpg (or png or gif...) (diffuse texture)
...other textures like specular, alpha, normal, color mask are named _s _a _n _c

*yourmodelname*_LOD.fbx (the lod model)
*yourmodelname*_lod_d.jpg (the lod diffuse texture).