• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

carlg2

Sergeant
98 Badges
Feb 26, 2011
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
Has anyone else noticed that if you use the Mediterranean Portraits DLC, all characters of the ethnic groups affected by this DLC have mandatory beards?

I've tried every which way I can imagine, barber DLC & save game editing, to make my Byzantine Emperor clean shaven...on reload, he always has a beard. Note that this issue is apparently not present for some of the initial characters in a given time period (I was able to shave the initial Byz emperor in the 769 start, save, and reload, and not get a furry animal on his face)...but, if you use the character editor to create a character and/or as the original rulers die, custom characters and children when they reach adulthood have mandatory beards. Beards, beards, everywhere... :confused:

I've tested this with tons of Greek nobles so it's not just the Emperor who has this issue. If I switch to a character and shave him, he always gets a beard on the reload of the game.

After noticing this, I scrolled through all of my vassals...if they are ethnic Greek...they have a beard. I found one guy who didn't, but on loading the game as that guy, he actually had a 5 o'clock shadow beard and after I shaved him, on reload...beard.

WTF...I hate beards. As emperor, I mandate no beards. I tried disabling the DLC...I can once again successfully stay shaven after a reload. What is it about the Mediterranean Portrait DLC that means my ruler and all my vassals have to sport all this facial hair?

I know I can use the barber DLC to shave myself every time I load the game...but, c'mon...I have to shave every day in real life...why do I have to do it in-game, too? :laugh: Plus, I liked the fact that some of my vassals used to be beardless...that doesn't seem to be possible anymore. :( Did the Byzantophiles screaming for MORE BEARDS succeed in getting something hardcoded to get MORE BEARDS?

Just accept looking like a Real Man.tm

I'm sorry, I wouldn't help you even if I could. It would simply be a travesty to remove those fabulous beards from the true Romans. :happy:

True Romans would actually be clean shaven. They considered face hair to be a sign of barbarism.

...but, but, but...my save games are bloating from all of this extra facial hair. :eek:

In all seriousness, though, I wonder how they are doing it...the properties value for my character indicates...no beard. In game...beard. :eek:

Disable DLC...shaving persists through reload. Enable DLC...beard.

Has my game been hijacked by virtual lice and fleas who want more living space? True Romans shaved. :p

True Romans would actually be clean shaven. They considered face hair to be a sign of barbarism.

The Greeks pretty much invented the term barbarian Pre-Alexander which applied to those not Greek, so obviously the filthy Roman pretenders in Roma were more barbarian than the Byzzies.

It would actually be pretty neat to be able to pass a law which bans beards...

In my limited experience as the Byz emperor, my visit to the barber shop (for a trim, not a full shave) "stuck" ... but only once. When he was an old man, I tried to give him a luxurious beard as befitting his station in life, but on reload it was always back to the trim he got when he was young.

My second emperor is ethnically French; he has retained the clean-shaven look I gave him. I haven't investigated whether a second trip to the barber will "stick"

That depended on when you were talking about, at times beards were considered a source of pride amongst romans in the kingdom and early republic, especially amongst the patrician class's conservative who railed against feminine Greek influence which they would later still rail against but without the beards in the late republic and in the late empire they became acceptable again.

That depended on when you were talking about, at times beards were considered a source of pride amongst romans in the kingdom and early republic, especially amongst the patrician class's conservative who railed against feminine Greek influence which they would later still rail against but without the beards in the late republic and in the late empire they became acceptable again.
As I understood it, the Romans looked down on the Greeks because the Greeks didn't shave, and the Greeks looked down on the Romans because the Romans did shave.

As I understood it, the Romans looked down on the Greeks because the Greeks didn't shave, and the Greeks looked down on the Romans because the Romans did shave.

This is part of it, indeed. Never mind the fact that the Greek Hellenic culture had heavily influenced the Latins in many ways.

I got a dude who was always clean shaven.

Thanks for the report. Was he:

1. Ethnically Greek (not just culture...you'd have to look via charinfo in the console or peruse the save game file, I think, to know for sure)?
2. Not one of the statically defined starting characters (for example, the starting Byz emperor in 769 retains his clean shaven status between reloads for some reason...)
3. You do have the Mediterranean Portraits DLC enabled, right?

I haven't been able to find any other trigger which allows an ethnic Greek to stay clean shaven through reloads...except in the one case where the guy was actually not clean shaven, he just somehow had the 5 o'clock shadow beard which isn't normally an option for an ethnic Greek in the barber shop.

Yes though they looked down on the Greeks before that admittedly as they considered Greek Influence to be Feminine. Scipio Africanus the hero of the second Punic war was apparently one of the first romans to shave after which it quickly caught on but for the early republic and the kingdom the Romans didn't shave their beards and apparently beards made a comeback with the romans with the reign of Emperor Hadrian and afterwards all the emperors until Constantine the great and his successors appeared with beards in official art. Also apparently Rural Romans only shaved their beards when they were going to market.

Thanks for the report. Was he:

1. Ethnically Greek (not just culture...you'd have to look via charinfo in the console or peruse the save game file, I think, to know for sure)?
2. Not one of the statically defined starting characters (for example, the starting Byz emperor in 769 retains his clean shaven status between reloads for some reason...)
3. You do have the Mediterranean Portraits DLC enabled, right?

I haven't been able to find any other trigger which allows an ethnic Greek to stay clean shaven through reloads...except in the one case where the guy was actually not clean shaven, he just somehow had the 5 o'clock shadow beard which isn't normally an option for an ethnic Greek in the barber shop.

Yes he has the medit portrait, and yes he is Greek. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted.

Whereas lack of facial hair is a clear sign of barberism.

The Greeks pretty much invented the term barbarian Pre-Alexander which applied to those not Greek, so obviously the filthy Roman pretenders in Roma were more barbarian than the Byzzies.

I thought it was common knowledge that "Roman culture" was an obvious, cheap, gratuitous expropriation of ancient Greek culture. ;)