• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Didz

Major
20 Badges
Sep 16, 2001
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Semper Fi
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities in Motion
  • Arsenal of Democracy
I'm having real problems making a profit in the very first campaign scenario (Berlin Foundations). I've pretty much tried everything I can think of including increasing tickets prices to maximum, reducing wages to minimum, lowering maintenance% , literally everything. But nothing works.

So, far I've transported over 3,000 people, my stops are clogged with passengers (over 100 waiting at some stops), and my buses and trams are running absolutely full for pretty much their entire routes. I've tried squeezing more vehciles on the lines to the point where two or three buses are waiting at every stop, and still they can't cope with demand, but continue to return a loss.

The only thing I can think of now is that my lines are too long. From what I can see people only pay for a ticket when they get on a vehicle, and it's a fixed price just to get on rather than how far they are going. So, lets say I have a bus line with 10 stops and the ticket prices is £5. That means a passenger at the first stop can pay £5 for a seat and travel right to the other end of the line occupying that seat without paying any more money.

So, if 10 people board the bus at the first stop and stay on it I only get £50 for the entire journey from stop 1 to stop 10, but pick up fuel and wage expenses for the entire journey based on time and distance. It also means that the bus is full and can't pick up any passengers from stops 2 thru 9 even if there are hundred's waiting. So thats a huge loss of income and reputation for no additional benefit.

I'm wondering if thats the source of my problem because I do have buses and trams that are almost permanently full, suggesting that a lot of people are just boarding buying a ticket and sitting there for a prolonged ride.

If I were to break these lines down into small segments, e.g. five lines of two stops, instead of 1 line of 10 stops, will this increase my income?

In theory it would force passengers to disembark at every stop on the route and allow ten more passengers to board and pay for a ticket. Therefore given my 10 stop scenario if ten passengers really wanted to travel to the other end of the line they would need to change buses 8 times and buy 9 tickets at a total cost of £45. Just wondering if thats the trick to making money in this game.

Didnt want to open a new topic, but I'm really struggling with this scenario too, and since it's the first thats really dishartening. I know some of the small tips (multiple short bus routes, do clockwise because right turns are faster, trams in green embeddings), but after the building of the tram I just cant make any profit and stops get crowded, even the original lines get stops with 100+ people waiting. And with busses and trams that can only transport 10 people this looks fairly impossible

Just a quick note of clarification on the tickets: Passengers only need to buy one ticket for each type of vehicle they use in their journey - so even if you split a long bus line into a series of point-to-point bus lines a passenger travelling the whole length will only pay once (however, because they are forced to get off and join a queue for the next bus this may give new passengers a chance to get in).

Unfortunately it's been so long since I played CiM1 I'm afraid I can't think of any specific tricks to suggest right now.

Continued a bit further, and wow, Paradox really stick to the habbit of being shitty in tutorials/easing players in. Even after building the metro I lose heaps of money (and thats without the loan interest), and stops remain full even with a reasonable amount of busses and high ticket prices, still over 50 people waiting at stops

The first Berlin scenario is probably the most difficult in the campaigns; it starts at an early time period when vehicles couldn't carry many passengers. You just have to put up with angry passengers because there is little you can do about it.

This mod is, I've found, absolutely essential to keep track of the profitability of your lines. I highly recommend you install it.

And with busses and trams that can only transport 10 people this looks fairly impossible

If you install this mod you can have greater capacity.

Just a quick note of clarification on the tickets: Passengers only need to buy one ticket for each type of vehicle they use in their journey

This can be changed with this mod that allows charges cims half price tickets for transferring to the same vehicle type increasing the amount of money you receive.

[Edit] Forgot to add a link.