• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lord_P

Field Marshal
67 Badges
Apr 17, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
Really the only power that moves the AI is de jure, especially de jure capitals. The AI is absolutely fixated by the de jure capital of its primary title, going as far as revoking the county from its current holder and holding it itself, even if the AI ruler's primary demesne is somewhere else. Examples: Abbasid Caliph revokes Damascus, Sweden revokes Uppland, HRE revokes Jülich, Mamluk Sultan revokes Caliph's Cairo (and this is one of the most egregious examples. The Sultan revokes Cairo from the Caliph! The bastard granted him that title and now AI madness is going to revoke it!).

Add to that the ERE revoking the EP and going theocracy.

This problem REALLY should be fixed. Especially in some of the major egregious examples listed here, such as the Abbasids (who made a point of moving the capital to Iraq) and the revocation of the Caliph's Cairo.
Also, in the latest start date, the pope just moves his capital from Avignon back to Rome.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is how inconsistent the AI is about this. Sometimes it's just dead-set on getting its de jure capital; sometimes it doesn't care. The HRE has had its capital at Kärnten, of all places, for over 200 years in my current game. Esfahan, on the other hand, has been revoked by every single ruler that's controlled it, including the Ilkhanate.

Also if the player is a minor count in one of these de jure capitals ,he/she is completely screwed. Your liege keeps trying to revoke your county, it leads to war where you are considered the attacker and hence truce breaker since you just won a similar war an year ago.

What I don't understand is how inconsistent the AI is about this. Sometimes it's just dead-set on getting its de jure capital; sometimes it doesn't care. The HRE has had its capital at Kärnten, of all places, for over 200 years in my current game. Esfahan, on the other hand, has been revoked by every single ruler that's controlled it, including the Ilkhanate.

This is probably because the capital is in control of a vassal of a vassal... then the top liege can't revoke it.

On another note, I think the AIs war behaviour should be adjusted so that it 'remembers' de jure lands before drift occurred. I hate seeing the disjointed mess Europe becomes in the CM start date... you get random duchies in France belonging to East Francia via de jure drift and the King of France doesn't give a damn that his kingdom has been split in two.

Ah, of course. And the HRE switched to primogeniture (like it always seems to), so the crown has never cycled back to the guy who could revoke it.
The HRE staying in Elective is actually better for keeping the crown in one family. Heinrich Salian approves.

This also annoying when I conquer a duchy in a holy war, carefully distribute the counties to young men with good congenital traits, preferably marrying them beforehand to avoid the milf-hunting, and then give the ducal title to the guy NOT holding the de jure capital. My careful setup then becomes ruined in a few months. Nowadays I just give the entire duchy to a single guy.

This also annoying when I conquer a duchy in a holy war, carefully distribute the counties to young men with good congenital traits, preferably marrying them beforehand to avoid the milf-hunting, and then give the ducal title to the guy NOT holding the de jure capital. My careful setup then becomes ruined in a few months. Nowadays I just give the entire duchy to a single guy.
I do the same thing ... try to give the soon to be duke a good council based by landing guys with good stats and traits so he can use them. Then I usually make the mistake of giving the title to the wrong guy and a war is soon underway. Usually they are trying to revoke the marshal, so he has a larger levy than the duke and wins. Is there a list somewhere of the de jure capitals for all the duchies?

I do the same thing ... try to give the soon to be duke a good council based by landing guys with good stats and traits so he can use them. Then I usually make the mistake of giving the title to the wrong guy and a war is soon underway. Usually they are trying to revoke the marshal, so he has a larger levy than the duke and wins. Is there a list somewhere of the de jure capitals for all the duchies?
If you switch to "de jure duchies" madmode and hover over the capital county, it will trigger the line "duchy capital" in the tooltip.

If you switch to "de jure duchies" madmode and hover over the capital county, it will trigger the line "duchy capital" in the tooltip.
Thanks! So many little things in the UI that I don't know about. Just discovered a few days back from reading a post that you can search for traits by name in the character finder.

Mostly it's to allow AI to know which county to use as the capital - otherwise the devs would need to code AI behavior for picking a capital.

Mostly it's to allow AI to know which county to use as the capital - otherwise the devs would need to code AI behavior for picking a capital.
So they purposely made allot of starts (and therefore content) unplayable because you get immediately revoked instead of making a small AI change so the AI picks the county in their demesne with the most holding-slots, like most players would do? Coding in that the AI always wants to revoke the traditional capital seems just as much work to me, if not more.

... On another note, I think the AIs war behaviour should be adjusted so that it 'remembers' de jure lands before drift occurred. I...

No, just no.

500 years into a game and the petty king of Wessex still lusts for the white cliffs of Dover ... even though his dynasty has not controlled them for 400 years? No, thank you.